11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by StevenP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Around the area I live in I've got about 15 pinball machines that I can play within a 5 minute drive. I've been touring around for the last few months and I'm wondering if you think it's a better idea to play as many different games as I can, or if I should just hunker down and get good at each game individually?

I was playing Theatre of Magic a bunch and got pretty good at that game but I haven't played it in a while and when I went back I felt my skills had diminished. I'm guessing pinball skills are something you've got to be constantly honing.

What do ya'll think?

#2 11 years ago

I would say it is not good to be a one trick pony. Each game has its nuances and strategery. Knowing how to play them well will make you a better player. For instance, TOM will not help you learn to make a side flipper shot. It's pretty hard to Shatz an inlane if the game doesn't have one. etc...

#3 11 years ago

Very dependent on money. But I agree with clubber if you can get multiples do. Variety is king in pinball even more so then cash. Variety is great for skills and fun; almost any game will get stail if you only have the one game.

#4 11 years ago

I think the choice is "more games or fewer."

Substantively, I think it would be good for starters to find a few games (2-3?) that have a good shot arrangement/variety and conventional flipper layout. Then work on the 2 basic, fundamental, essential skills: ball control and aiming. Doesn't matter if the game is simple or 'deep'; just practice the basic skills (bounce passes, dead stops, drop catches, etc.) and hitting specific shots, regardless of point value. After that, you can get to know different games and work on strategies. It's good to first be able to generally hit what you want, and then you can learn what you want to hit on different games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-get-better-more-games-or-less and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.