• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

awesome protectors.jpg
shitty protectors.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Picked up a Getaway about a month ago and started going through it to get it up to snuff. Now the game plays perfectly and the playfield is pretty nice.

The cabinet is pretty faded (very faded). Question is, would it be worth doing a decal job on this game? I know this is a question of preference but just fishing for opinions. This isn't a MM or MB so I'm not sure if it is a good investment of time and money (I've never installed a decal set before).

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Don't do it! Put it between your pretty games!

#3 9 years ago

Money? $250-$300-ish. Yes. Worth it.

Time? Depends on how you value your time. It will take A LOT of time.

#4 9 years ago

The time problem depends on space,tools and experience. It's always worth it on a faded cab though, IMHO.

#5 9 years ago

Totally up to you and what you're willing to put into it.

Money, yeah, decals are around $300ish shipped.

Time...depends on what you've got. Depends on how nuts you are going to go with it, your access to space, tools, etc. For me I don't do decal jobs any more. I've got a buddy who does.

I don't have a lot of space to work, so I'm stuck on relying on weather to permit me to work outside.

But if you go full-bore on it, you're going to be totally removing every bit of hardware from the cabinet, pulling the ground braid, sanding inside and out, filling imperfections, prepping...

But the outcome is a gorgeous cabinet that looks and feels like it just came from the factory...

#6 9 years ago

Took me 50 hours for my first attempt plus running around gathering the tools, paint etc.
Glad I did it but would only do it for a keeper.

#7 9 years ago

decals are fragile. but if the cabinet is trashed you don't have to many choices. Do you want to sacrifice durability over color? Maybe you can paint the color back in. many have been successful.

#8 9 years ago

+1 on what Neo says - in my experience the replacement silk-screened cabinet artwork is nowhere near as robust as the original artwork process: it's too easy for a minor scratch to result in an ugly white line across the artwork. I'm beginning to think some form of clear coat over post-applied artwork is the only way to get a cabinet that can survive outside of a museum.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

+1 on what Neo says - in my experience the replacement silk-screened cabinet artwork is nowhere near as robust as the original artwork process: it's too easy for a minor scratch to result in an ugly white line across the artwork. I'm beginning to think some form of clear coat over post-applied artwork is the only way to get a cabinet that can survive outside of a museum.

Or a PinShield.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

Plus, you also have to worry about the legs pushing up the artwork on the corners. I'm not sure if leg protectors prevent that or not.

#11 9 years ago

I've seen a few very, very badly faded decals, far worse than the originals usually are and in a shorter amount of time. Just something to keep in mind.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Plus, you also have to worry about the legs pushing up the artwork on the corners. I'm not sure if leg protectors prevent that or not.

You have to know what a real leg protector is.

These plastic pieces of shit. are not Protectors, they are leg destroyers.shitty protectors.jpgshitty protectors.jpg These will destroy your art. They are ment to cover up your already destroyed, crinkled , trashed corners. That's all. Over time they will make the damage go beyond even these, which there is no turning back.

On the other hand. These are a saving grace. awesome protectors.jpgawesome protectors.jpg They keep your legs from touching the cabinet, and you will never have crinkle with these on your games.

#13 9 years ago

I rounded ALL the edges of the "awesome" protectors with a fine metal file to remove any burrs and sharp edges, and also drilled out the countersunk areas on the screw holes so the screws sit flush with the surface of the protector before I installed them.

They are "awesome" though when it comes to protecting the cabinet artwork.

Greg

#14 9 years ago

yup, and pinball life has the metal protectors on sale right now. They used to be 18.95 a set. www.pinballlife.com

I put them on all my games. Even the screened old school ones. keeps the legs from making dents in the sides.

#15 9 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I think for now I will wait and mull it over a bit.

#16 9 years ago

in my opinion, original in good shape>original faded or minor damage>re-decaled/painted> original physically heavily damaged.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-decal-or-not-to-decal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.