Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Magic_Mike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Keep original or decal?”

• New decals 10 votes
      56%
    • Keep original 8 votes
      44%

(18 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballpete.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I have a MM that I am getting restored. The playfield had wear in the usual spots so that is being sent out for restoration. The thing I can't decide is if I should redecal the cabinet. The game is number 24 off of the line and has minor differences on the playfield. The entrance to the catapult and the ramps are different from the later runs. I decided to have the original playfield restored to preserve these minor differences, but I'm not sure if keeping the original cabinet matters.

The cabinet has minor dings on the head and some small wear spots by the flippers. I figure I can touch up the flipper area since it is in the blacks but the rest may be tough. The front is perfect though. Do you think redecaling would hurt or help it? The decals that I have seen have a different look to their art and the colors don't seem as rich. What decals are considered to be the best?

I am leaning toward keeping it original but now would be the time to redecal if I were going to do it. Any thoughts?

#3 11 years ago

So who makes the best decals for MM? Aren't there different runs?

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

The early MM runs (first 250) had a *beautiful* dark royal purple cabinet. Something that was changed on the production run and was never to be seen again.
    The early artwork is silk screened and is *not* a decal.
    The early artwork colors matches the head, unlike the production run. I'm not sure if this was corrected with the decals.
    The early artwork is sharp and crisp unlike the slight blurry and muddiness of the decals.
    So unless the cabinet is badly faded, scratched or damaged I would not recommend sanding off your rarity

That is what I was afraid of. The colors do look different and the cabinet looks sharper as well. There are some scratches but not very noticeable and the front looks beautiful. Once it is in the lineup you can't even see the sides. I am afraid once i sand it I will regret it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballpete.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-decal-or-not-decal?tu=pinballpete and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.