(Topic ID: 31485)

To coat or not to coat ... is that the question?!

By spinpin

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Clear coat....”

• adds value. 20 votes
      69%
    • detracts value 3 votes
      10%
    • is just used to restore 3 votes
      10%
    • does not change value 3 votes
      10%

(29 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

Clear coat- also sorry if this was covered in an older post

Does clear coat add value? Or does it detract value? I was reading an online pinball help page that presented questions to ask before you decide to clear coat. One point was the clear coating turns some people off due to the high shine finish. It also stated that if the play field is in good shape don't clear coat because clear coat is more of a restorative or last resort effort to improve a play field.

#2 11 years ago

What I think matters most, is not that a game is clearcoated, it's who did it and how well was it done. If it was done poorly, it devalues the game greatly, if it was done right (HEP) it increases the value. Most playfields that have had restoration work and touch-ups are cleared to protect the touch-ups, so they should be judged on the quality of the touch-ups and clearcoat and valued accordingly. As far as the shine, generally speaking, the newer games look great with a high sheen, the older E.M's probably look better with a semi-gloss or satin sheen. Like with everything, opinions vary, these are just mine

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

how well was it done

I also believe that's the important factor. If a machine has good clear mylar on the playfield just keep it clean. Speaking of the value, any machine that looks good enough to eat off of has more value.

#4 11 years ago

In kawikids case it devalued the machine. Paragon about 2 weeks ago.

#5 11 years ago

If you have to do restore work, the game is already non mint, and a clear coat would add value.

If the playfield is a reproduction, then a clear coat will eliminate the need for Mylar and add value.

If the playfield is totally mint, collectors quality, then you might actually lose value by clear coating it; as serious collectors want the factory finish.

Just like a classic car, the mint factory paint is worth much more than if the car has been re shot.

#6 11 years ago

If it was cleared at the factory and you're tearing it down, a little extra clear (done properly) couldn't hurt.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

If it was cleared at the factory and you're tearing it down, a little extra clear (done properly) couldn't hurt.

Yes. I cleared my Tron LE a few weeks after getting it.

#8 11 years ago

I had some fellow pinsiders do artwork and clearcoat on my RFM recently, It looks REALLY sweet, like a sheet of glass! Very happy I went through the process

#9 11 years ago

Thanks for the info all... it helped a great deal! Now to find a good place to clear coat... any suggestions?

#10 11 years ago

Chris at HEP is your best bet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-coat-or-not-to-coat-is-that-the-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.