Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by dmacy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

funny-kid-tells-joke-to-dog.jpg
    FanMan1.jpg
    kerry.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider absocountry2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Cliffys are great for a worn pf but not for a non worn pf !

I disagree; a Cliffy will keep the playfield from getting damage. He only makes the protectors for areas that are highly likely to get damaged. If you have a playfield that is not damaged in an area that Cliffy makes a protector for, you just don't have that many games on the playfield. It will get worn over time, why not prevent the damage instead of repairing it later?

Some examples are your ramps like the wall on Rollergames or the center ramp on Police Force. These ramps are usually around $125 if they are available at all. If you do not put a Cliffy on the wall shot on RG, it WILL get broken and the ramps are nearly extinct. Same thing applies to the center PF ramp. With no protector, it WILL get broken and they cost over $100.

The switch slot protectors are the same as the ramps. If you have a ball dropping onto the playfield in the same place over and over it WILL cause damage after a while. Why not prevent the damage? It does not have to be a Cliffy. Mylar is installed on there for that reason, the prevent wear in certain areas. Mylar is not going to protect a ramp from getting cracked though.

IMO if there is a protector, you are on the path to have a damaged field, just need to play more games. If you do not install a protector, why wax the playfield? That protects. Why clean the playfield and replace the balls? They are going to do the same damage. It is preventative maintenance, DO IT.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

No need for a cliffy ever if there is no wear there to begin with...

To prevent wear. It will wear.

To be clear, I am talking about any protector, not just Cliffy's. Kerry ones will work fine. For the record, not all Kerry are for undamaged parts. Here is a link to the Cyclone ramp protector that is designed to prevent damage or fill in a gap if there is damage already there.

http://www.mantisamusements.com/cyclone.protkit.htm

The end of the day, you can do what ever you want and use any protector you want, but if you are not using protectors, you will have damage in the high risk areas that they make protectors for. If you get a pin from me and there is a protector available that I know about, it will be installed. My ramps will not be broken with pieces missing.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

This is the type of protector I was talking about

I understood what you were saying. I was editing my first comment when you replied. That is why I wanted to ensure everyone knew I was talking about any protectors, not just Cliffys.

The comment about repair first is spot on. If you put a protector over a damaged area without repair first, the protector will not last long.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Just use something.

Yes!!

If you do not it is just as bad as not cleaning the pin or changing balls. They are for the same reason.

PREVENTION

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider absocountry2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-cliffy-or-not?tu=absocountry2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.