29 days ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by KozMckPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181201_0841234.jpg

#1 29 days ago

Recently got my hands on my grail. A NOS TAF, I know there is a ton of opinions about why you need need a NOS when CPRs are our there but that’s a whole mother conversation.

I am torn between what I should do as far as clear coating and wanted to ask opinions. I have been taking with one of our very well respected playfield restorer / clearers that has done stuff for me in the past nothing like this though it’s my first NOS has offer his opinion and I respect it a ton but just wanted to hear all options

A little background, it’s a NOS from the later runs when the gold editions were produced. Its not a diamond plate, as I understand Bally ended their relationship by then and none of them were at that time.

The game will not be taking any major abuse as it will be in my home and only used by my family and well cared for. I tend to be more on the purist side hence my search for NOS and not clearing but a Couple things that were thrown out there in my conversations

- as playfields age the paint and ink could tend to spider / crack especially as they get older

- dimpling is less noticeable on cleared playfields

- it’s better for overall protection.

Any thought are appreciated

#2 29 days ago

Just what we've been searching for!
    No brainer, 2PAC and done.
    Being it is NOS, I would simply apply some extra epoxy to the inserts and then clear it! Don't think there will be any regret.

#3 29 days ago

For a title like that and a rare NOS to boot - I personally would send it to one of the reputable pros and have it touched up and cleared to perfection . I’m not a long time pin guy that’s just my opinion .
    Congrats on a great game and playfield !

#4 29 days ago

Overkill IMO.

Quoted from mmr61184:

Good lord

#5 29 days ago

I am in the minority here but I believe, based on my experience that clear coat IS one of the causes of dimpling.
    I cleared a 1981 Volcano. It had no dimples before, or as many say, it had been fully dimpled.
    It now, after being clearcoated , has dimples. So if the wood had been fully pounded before the clear it should not dimple now.
    PLEASE, this is only MY opinion.

I think the thickness of 2pac is the issue.
    The thicker it is, the more likely it is to dimple.
    That said, I think your playfield deserves 1 coat of clear to protect it from its own age.
    YMMV

#6 29 days ago

Clear and paint gets old. The trouble with NOS is that it's been boxed up for 20 to 40 years and hasn't been beaten on by steel balls for the entire time. This can make the paint a bit more fragile and prone to crack. During the time, insert plastic shrinks and causes cupping, or insert sinking. A clear coat can fill in the inserts and protect the paint.

As far as touching up goes, that depends on the particular playfield, but I know in a recent case my NOS playfield had some yellowing I had fixed up prior to clearing.

#7 29 days ago
    Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

I would send it to one of the reputable pros and have it touched up and cleared to perfection.

Do this if you want to follow the advice of some Nut Job on Pinside.

#8 29 days ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Recently got my hands on my grail. A NOS TAF, I know there is a ton of opinions about why you need need a NOS when CPRs are our there but that’s a whole mother conversation.
    I am torn between what I should do as far as clear coating and wanted to ask opinions. I have been taking with one of our very well respected playfield restorer / clearers that has done stuff for me in the past nothing like this though it’s my first NOS has offer his opinion and I respect it a ton but just wanted to hear all options
    A little background, it’s a NOS from the later runs when the gold editions were produced. Its not a diamond plate, as I understand Bally ended their relationship by then and none of them were at that time.
    The game will not be taking any major abuse as it will be in my home and only used by my family and well cared for. I tend to be more on the purist side hence my search for NOS and not clearing but a Couple things that were thrown out there in my conversations
    - as playfields age the paint and ink could tend to spider / crack especially as they get older
    - it’s better for overall protection.
    Any thought are appreciated

dimples will be more noticeable on a cleared field. any imperfection (dimple) will reflect light different than the smooth surface and will be highly noticeable.

#9 29 days ago

I also debated on whether or not I should get my NOS TFTC playfield cleared. I hummed and hawwed and then eventually just said "screw it" and got it cleared. No regrets so far.

IMG_20181201_0841234.jpg
    #10 29 days ago
    Quoted from jsa:Clear and paint gets old. The trouble with NOS is that it's been boxed up for 20 to 40 years and hasn't been beaten on by steel balls for the entire time. This can make the paint a bit more fragile and prone to crack. During the time, insert plastic shrinks and causes cupping, or insert sinking. A clear coat can fill in the inserts and protect the paint.
    As far as touching up goes, that depends on the particular playfield, but I know in a recent case my NOS playfield had some yellowing I had fixed up prior to clearing.

this exactly what Kruzzman said. Just to clarify he is the guy that would be doing the work for me

#11 29 days ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

this exactly what Kruzzman said. Just to clarify he is the guy that would be doing the work for me

You're lucky, he's a master.

#12 29 days ago
    Quoted from jsa:

You're lucky, he's a master.

Yes, he’s got me leaning towards clearing and had me 99% sold on it but given the rarity of this playfield just needed to be sure I was making the right decision.

#13 29 days ago

I've had a couple of his playfields, and recommend sending yours there too.

#14 29 days ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

I've had a couple of his playfields, and recommend sending yours there too.

yessss never a question of who was going to clear, it was should I, given its never touched nos. in the interest of preservation thats what i will do

#15 29 days ago
    Quoted from TheHueManatee:

I also debated on whether or not I should get my NOS TFTC playfield cleared. I hummed and hawwed and then eventually just said "screw it" and got it cleared. No regrets so far.[quoted image]

Sean,

Get that beautiful NOS TFTC playfield installed in your game.

Gord

#16 29 days ago

Does anyone know if NBAFB pfs are diamond plate? My original NBAFB pf has absolutely no dimples. Just wondering since I am replacing it with a NOS clear coated pf.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 224.99
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 24.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MONSTERFISH MODS
    $ 19.99
    $ 6.95
    $ 19.95
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside