(Topic ID: 41026)

To Clear Coat or not to Clear Coat...

By SideTrackTap

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hi all,

I have a STTNG that I am considering having the playfield clear coated. I think the game will always be in my collection so I'd like to make last. The playfield is in good condition at this point and could use a good cleaning and a waxing right now.

Anyway, I'm torn because the game will be out of commission for some time, and I won't be able to play it, but on the other hand, I think the game will look sweet with the playfield cleared.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from SideTrackTap:

Anyway, I'm torn because the game will be out of commission for some time, and I won't be able to play it, but on the other hand, I think the game will look sweet with the playfield cleared.

You could always find a NOS playfield and get that cleared, then swap em out. Way less downtime, closer to a perfect playfield. Probably the most expensive way though.

#3 11 years ago

STTNG is in line for Mirco so you could wait until end of June for a new one to be reproduced

#4 11 years ago

I actually did have an offer for a NOS that was very tempting, but yep, it was an expensive option.

I might give the Mirco option some thought. At my current rate, I might not get around to this until June.

Thanks guys!

Chris

#5 11 years ago

If the game will always be in your collection, then what's a couple months downtime. It's not your only machine. Just do it!

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from SideTrackTap:

Hi all,
    I have a STTNG that I am considering having the playfield clear coated. I think the game will always be in my collection so I'd like to make last. The playfield is in good condition at this point and could use a good cleaning and a waxing right now.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Chris

For what its worth I have a TZ and IJ both had full restorations TZ I stripped down to the bare playfield and polished it IJ I sent out to have it cleared by HSA the IJ looks amazing but I am a little unhappy with how it plays the ball spins way to much TZ plays like a new game I dont know if I would clear again unless I have playfield wear. I attached both restoration threads underneath.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-full-restoration-in-20-days

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-high-end-restoration-thread-my-high-end

#7 11 years ago

I would say no. I don't think it's going downhill as quick as you think it is in your home.
    You can wait another 5 years even, and decide then.

#8 11 years ago

I think clear coat them all. I know someone who was thinking about clearing a Hollywood Heat. The quote. "It will be the best damn looking Hollywood heat out there."

I cleared my Al's garage band and its amazing how beautiful it looks. If I could I would clear them all.

Chris

#9 11 years ago

Thanks again guys for the input. Guess I have some thinking to do.

Chris

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-clear-coat-or-not-to-clear-coat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.