Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dirtbag66
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Midway_SHI.jpg

#1 3 years ago

So I'm interested in purchasing a Slugfest somewhere down the road, but I have some questions for current/past owners of the game:

Does your card dispenser currently work?
Has it ever broken down?
If yes, how easy was it to fix?

I find this to be a really cool feature and I understand it's not a necessity when playing the game, but I know my kids will get a kick out of it.

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback!

#2 3 years ago

Have had mine for several yrs and card dispenser works great. Only issue I had was the rubber roller that eject the cards wore out, just replaced with O-rings.

#3 3 years ago

I recently bought a Slugfest to restore and specifically looked for one with a card dispenser. I thought it would be cool to have it, like you said, although not needed for game play. It is working fine in this game but was a little dirty and the rubber rings needed replacement. It even came with some "vintage" cards.

#4 3 years ago

The card dispenser generally does not have much to it for failure. I will agree once the rubber rots out, its hard to find a true replacement for the rubber.

#5 3 years ago

I found that the newer, slick cards don't dispense reliably, but that the older ones do.

#6 3 years ago

FYI, this video review of the related game, WMS Hot Shot shows some details of the card dispenser (at 4:00).

#7 3 years ago

Never had any problems with the card reader on my Slugfest, owned it for about 5 years.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I found that the newer, slick cards don't dispense reliably, but that the older ones do.

This. Agreed. Its definitely meant to have the non slick cards.

This is my favorite 2 playergame by a long shot

1 week later
#9 3 years ago

So I might be picking up a Slugfest tomorrow morning, but the guy told me it does not have a card dispenser. I read somewhere that the card dispenser on Williams Super High Impact also works with Slugfest. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

card dispenser on Williams Super High Impact also works with SlugFest. Can anyone confirm this?

For a start. Since Williams Super High Impact didn't have a card dispenser, I don't think it would work.

LTG : )™

#11 3 years ago

Maybe you meant this?

ebay.com link

Quoted from dirtbag66:

So I might be picking up a SlugFest tomorrow morning, but the guy told me it does not have a card dispenser. I read somewhere that the card dispenser on Williams Super High Impact also works with SlugFest. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks.

#12 3 years ago

The flyer shows a card dispenser on the Midway Super High Impact.

Midway SHI.jpg

#13 3 years ago

Whoops. Meant Midway. My bad.

#14 3 years ago

Okay, new questions:

I found someone who has two card dispensers. According to them, one is locked and doesn't have a key, but is in great shape. The other looks to have been broken into. Here are my questions. Do I need keys for the unit to work? And can I still put cards in if I don't have the key?

Thanks for all your help.

#15 3 years ago

You need a key ( drill lock - new lock ) to slide the drawer out to service, clean, and install cards.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You need a key ( drill lock - new lock ) to slide the drawer out to service, clean, and install cards.

Are you saying I could take off the old lock that's missing the key and install a new one?

Thanks!

#17 3 years ago

That is exactly what he is saying.

#18 3 years ago

I have a slugfest. the dispenser can get annoying real fast. haven't used it in 2 years. you get a card for each credit, then for home runs, then for free games, so I found that on free play 9 inning game it would spit out 18 cards. 1 for each credit times each player. i had to keep a box under the dispenser, always loading back the cards. other wise the dispenser works too good very well built part.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

I have a SlugFest. the dispenser can get annoying real fast. haven't used it in 2 years. you get a card for each credit, then for home runs, then for free games, so I found that on free play 9 inning game it would spit out 18 cards. 1 for each credit times each player. i had to keep a box under the dispenser, always loading back the cards. other wise the dispenser works too good very well built part.

Can't you go into the settings and customize when the cards are spit out?

#20 3 years ago

Hey friends. Quick question. Is it real hard to get parts for Slugfest? I am thinking about getting one but worry about parts.

Thanks.

#21 3 years ago

The boards are all WPC89. I believe there is one proprietary board though but most everything else is quite common. Coils and mechanisms are pretty standard. The bat mechanism is weird though.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Can't you go into the settings and customize when the cards are spit out?

Seems like a legitimate setting adjustment feature...im interested as well. Always wanted a slig fest. One came up locally for cheapish recently. Wish I had the funds...

#23 3 years ago

For you guys that have this - what's the card dispenser connected up to? A standard WPC power driver board, or some additional driver board?

#24 3 years ago

well I really never messed with the card adjustment or the game for that matter so I really don't know. the parts are all over ebay from parted out slugfest pins.

#25 3 years ago

Don't want to de-rail this thread, but as long as we're talking Slugfest parts: can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement ball flap that goes on the center of the playfield, the part that covers the pitching mechanism?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Don't want to de-rail this thread, but as long as we're talking SlugFest parts: can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement ball flap that goes on the center of the playfield, the part that covers the pitching mechanism?

Quoted from robotron:

the parts are all over ebay from parted out SlugFest pins.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Seems like a legitimate setting adjustment feature...im interested as well. Always wanted a slig fest. One came up locally for cheapish recently. Wish I had the funds...

I just bought one in Vernon Hills. Maybe that's the one you're taking about? I wasn't about to buy one from a dealer for $2500+, so when this one came up at a much better price, I jumped on it. It's dirty and has incandescent bulbs probably from when it came off the line 24 years ago, but it plays great. The magnet coil for the pitches looks pretty rough, so I'm replacing that asap. Also have someone that is looking to sell their card dispenser, so that is why iI have so many questions about it.

And to answer your question about where to buy parts, there's eBay, Marco, Pinball Resource, etc. Finding the topper has proven to be challenging, though.

#28 3 years ago

Right on, glad a pinsider got it. If I would have had the funds I would have jumped on it. Let me know how you like it over time. Im debating between a slug fest, skee ball, or a set of drivers.

#29 3 years ago

Just tried ebay, but no luck finding the ball flap. Any other suggestions?

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I just bought one in Vernon Hills. Maybe that's the one you're taking about? I wasn't about to buy one from a dealer for $2500+, so when this one came up at a much better price, I jumped on it. It has incandescent bulbs

That sounds like a PERFECT game. Incandescent bulbs!

#34 3 years ago

Just clean and replace O rings that roll out the cards, they cards need to be from the same era.or a dull face, the shiny cards are to slippery. A cool feature until you have a party and there's a 100.cards all over the place ! I own 2 of them, ones LED,chrome T bar, pin pro speakers, kids play it all the time

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Just clean and replace O rings that roll out the cards, they cards need to be from the same era.or a dull face, the shiny cards are to slippery. A cool feature until you have a party and there's a 100.cards all over the place ! I own 2 of them, ones LED,chrome T bar, pin pro speakers, kids play it all the time

That was going to be my next question. How do you get it to spit out cards, let's say, for EVERY home run? Mine will say I won a card after I hit a home run, then the next time I hit one, it doesn't say anything at all. The only reason I ask is because I might be taking it to my work's Fun Fair, and if some kids are winning cards and others aren't, it could cause some drama. I think is probably something to protect operators from giving out 20+ cards on one credit if someone gets hot.

#36 3 years ago

The manual is here:
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Manuals%20and%20Schematics/Slugfest_Operations_Manual.pdf

There are 37 different adjustments to control the number and timing of dispensed cards (see pg. 1-22).

#37 3 years ago

Yeah, I checked the manual out. I think I set it to give out a maximum of 5 cards per game, but it is saying it isn't ready to make changes. Something about setting my clock and waiting a week. Like I said, I know this is a failsafe for operators, I just want to bypass it!

#38 3 years ago

I think that's one of the auto settings, where in time the game can adjust automatically from a base value. Can you simply set the base value? I don't have experience with any of those settings, so at this point I'm just browsing teh manul and have no game to try it on. Good luck!

#39 3 years ago

Okay, new question:

How the Hell do I get into the top part of the machine to swap out the baseball cards that are on display? I would really like to update them, but have no idea how!

Thanks!

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Okay, new question:
How the Hell do I get into the top part of the machine to swap out the baseball cards that are on display? I would really like to update them, but have no idea how!
Thanks!

Hard to describe, but start poking around the whole top. I remember it being tricky to replace the lights in there as well to LEDs. I think the top had to come off or something off

#41 3 years ago

The lights aren't a problem. Just open up the top or back to get to them. It's the cards that are hard to get to! Don't want to take my machine apart for nothing.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

The lights aren't a problem. Just open up the top or back to get to them. It's the cards that are hard to get to! Don't want to take my machine apart for nothing.

I have to agree, I was gonna do this but found it to be a pita so I left it alone.

3 weeks later
#43 3 years ago

Okay, so my Slugfest is still giving me fits. I still don't have a dispenser, but I want to get the settings right before I pick one up. My goal is to have it spit out a card for homeruns, grand slams, certain run totals (10, 20, 30, 40), and high scores/highest run totals, with a maximum of five per credit/quarter. As of right now here is what happens:

I'll start a game (free play or with a quarter), hit a homerun and it will say "You have won 1 card". Then, each homerun I hit after that...nothing. Hitting 10 runs...nothing. Fast forward to the end of the game and I start a new game. Hit a homerun...nothing.

The only time it will kick out another card is if I go to the settings menu then back to the game (basically resetting it) and the process continues.

I have tried fiddling with all of the settings. Dispenser rate, maximum cards per player, everything.

The only thing I can think is the game knows I don't have a dispenser set up, so it is stopping the game from dispensing any more.

Anyone who owns one have any idea what is going on? Like I said in a previous post, I would really like to use this game at my work's Fun Fair. I think the kids would love it, but I really want the card dispenser to work.

As always, any/all advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

#44 3 years ago

I hate to bug people, but I'm desperate here!

Please help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
$ 279.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 21.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 279.95
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
$ 109.99
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside