(Topic ID: 11938)

To all who have emptied a TAF playfield.

By vandammes

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by vandammes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Hello everone,

How long in houres did you take to empty a TAF playfield for cleaning and waxing purposes.

And how long does it take to put everything back together?

#2 12 years ago

There is no answer for this, as the detail level of each person would be completely different.

Just do it

#3 12 years ago

I think it took me roughly 6-8 hours to clear the entire topside. But this was over 3 nights or so.
But yes, it depends on the person.

#4 12 years ago

the real question is how long to put it all back together?

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

the real question is how long to put it all back together?

Ive done it. I'd give myself 1 8hr day to take down and 2 10hr days to put together. That's complete tear down lane guides and all. Oh and the week in between waiting for the stuff you ordered.

#6 12 years ago

i'm about to do it in a week or two, a complete tear down.
man i can't wait, the machine really needs it.
gonna add some extra stuff at the same time.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from SDFworker:

Whysnow said:the real question is how long to put it all back together?
Ive done it. I'd give myself 1 8hr day to take down and 2 10hr days to put together. That's complete tear down lane guides and all. Oh and the week in between waiting for the stuff you ordered.

sounds reasonable.

Would likely take me twice as long when I finally decide to do mine since it will be my first.

#9 12 years ago

Taking it apart is the easy part, it's putting it back together that's the challenge. It totally depends on your experience, what you plan to replace, etc. It could be hours, or days or weeks, or never figure it out and NEVER get it back together, which I've seen other people do hahahaha

#10 12 years ago

It may sound like a bit of work, but if you have access to a large format plotter or printer, I like to scale a schematic of the playfield in Photoshop or similar program and print it full 1 scale (you can get the schematic from the manual). I spray glue this to a sheet of rigid insulation foam (the blue stuff). As a remove stuff from the PF I stick it into the appropriate spot on the schematic and through into the foam. It's a bit of extra work but there is no mystery as to what goes where. Beats the pants off using cardboard and saves you a whack of time on the repopulation.

#11 12 years ago

Do you have any pics of what that looks like drano? I'd love to see that setup, sounds cool...

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

It may sound like a bit of work, but if you have access to a large format plotter or printer, I like to scale a schematic of the playfield in Photoshop or similar program and print it full 1 scale (you can get the schematic from the manual). I spray glue this to a sheet of rigid insulation foam (the blue stuff). As a remove stuff from the PF I stick it into the appropriate spot on the schematic and through into the foam. It's a bit of extra work but there is no mystery as to what goes where. Beats the pants off using cardboard and saves you a whack of time on the repopulation.

That's a clever way do do it. I guess you could just take schematic to Kinko's or print shop and have layout made.

#13 12 years ago

You boys are crazy....I'm paying somebody to do this...I'll find somebody in SA or Austin when I need it!

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Do you have any pics of what that looks like drano? I'd love to see that setup, sounds cool...

I would also love to see pics of this

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Taking it apart is the easy part, it's putting it back together that's the challenge. It totally depends on your experience, what you plan to replace, etc. It could be hours, or days or weeks, or never figure it out and NEVER get it back together, which I've seen other people do hahahaha

+1 It took me about 40 hours plus to completely strip and reassemble my TAF, when I had it CC'd last year.This includes cleaning everything, painting the inside of the cab, swapping out bad switches, flipper rebuilds,adjustments and anything else to make the top look and play as close to new as I could get it. Just make sure you take a ton of pics and then after that take a few more pics. You'll be glad you did.

#16 12 years ago

Moved to the Technical Help sub forum. Pinside Talk is for issues/recommendations with the forum itself.

#17 12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 180.00
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-all-who-have-emptied-a-taf-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.