To all the Data East peeps

By cyclone1234

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Purchased a last action hero a few weeks back and first off it was blowing the rectifier fuse , changed it , fuse all good , game fires up, was having a problem with the mulitball eject hole that when the ball goes in there is not enough power to pop it back out, also the drop targets try to reset but do not, I replaced the ppb board, the power supply board , new coils and sleeves and it still is having this problem....cant figure it out!!! Help lol...

#2 9 years ago

It sounds like a ground issue. Did you check for cold solder joints on the boards you installed?

#3 9 years ago

all the boards are brand new rotten dog....checked all the ground straps , repaired one .....?!

#4 9 years ago

how many volts do you get at the coil? Could be a failing daisy chained wire for power..

#5 9 years ago

38 volts....

#6 9 years ago

to be clear this is the middle scoop right? If so it is on the same power feed as the diverter and the drop targets too. Explains your problems.

Besides checking all the power wires all the way to all these three coils as it could be a weak connection breaking down under load. They both share connection plugs at the power supply cn3 pins 6/7 and the cpu cn12 pins 5/6/8.

Check these connections well also check cpu board for bad solders as you replaced the power supply with a new one it rules that out .

#7 9 years ago

The drop target reset problem is the reset bar that spans the length of the targets. It needs to be bent to give more torque to the end that the coil is at. Sorry I can't explain much better than that. My mate has fixed 2 LAH's by bending that bar - drop targets reset every time after that. Mine is stored at this time so I can't send pics.

#8 9 years ago

Good advice on the drop target reset lever....they do often bend thats for sure but that would not explain his kickout problem. I have several data east machines and seen very bent ones still work. Both are related to connector issues I am sure as they share power and ground connectors and even power supply wires.

#9 9 years ago

So the fuse was blowing, then it stopped blowing? You didnt have to change any burned out solenoids or the rectifier? Maybe the bridge has an open diode (was once shorted, blew the fuse, then blew the diode open) and you are only getting a half wave for your solenoids.

Where is the rectifier at? Is it cabinet mounted in that game? I would check the bridge for an open.

If there is a capacitor across the solenoid voltage, check that too.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

So the fuse was blowing, then it stopped blowing? You didnt have to change any burned out solenoids or the rectifier? Maybe the bridge has an open diode (was once shorted, blew the fuse, then blew the diode open) and you are only getting a half wave for your solenoids.
Where is the rectifier at? Is it cabinet mounted in that game? I would check the bridge for an open.
If there is a capacitor across the solenoid voltage, check that too.

When i brought the game home (450 bucks) guy was moving out from a divorce i didn't bother to check anything at his house, half the game wasn't working coil wise and found the blown rectifier fuse....replaced the rectifier and game fired up perfect....my friend who has this game made me a part for the drop targets to take up the slack like someone did on his and no go....they try to reset three or four times , move a little and nothing, the center hole when the ball goes in just stays in trying to pop out but never does....I was leaning towards hawk007 about the ground because if i ground out the coil to the smaller wire side and give it a nice long touch the targets reset,, its almost like something isn't giving a long enough pulse to the coil if that makes any sense , I can take a vid of what happens when you fire up the game and see what i mean if that will help...(don't know if i can upload a vid here ??)

#11 9 years ago

if you have a bad header on the cpu it will cause this. That is where it gets grounded. Data east boards are all known for cracking/bad/cold header solders . pull the cpu board and a quick check will confirm. Was there ever acid damage to the cpu board?

#12 9 years ago

the batteries were already moved off the board so I'm not sure, i will pull the board tomm and report back!

1 week later
#13 9 years ago

Well the journey is over , while changing the bad rectifier (2 next to each other not on any board) we pulled both out to test them, found the bad one and put the other back and soldered in a new one ...not knowing one of them is only a 13 volt rectifier created all my problems ....Replaced it today and drop targets reset great, vuk pops the ball out no problem, spent about 6 hours cleaning, putting in coin taker super brights, polishing the wire forms....rerubbered the whole game and she is playing nice ..!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orion Township, MI
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hoboken, NJ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.