6373AAF4-F067-4F7D-9CC3-70AB1CBB036D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
PopS (resized).jpg
DSCF0023 (resized).JPG
20191207_130025 (resized).jpg
20191228_154110 (resized).jpg
DSCF0022 (resized).JPG
DSCF0020 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EMsInKC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 4 years ago

I'm with Mike O all the way here. Just the state of some of the non adhesive mylar rings in this thread tells you all you need to know about what has happened. These games were not well maintained. If you take the time to restore a game, then maintain it. If the platters are so bad that they're curled up and you couldn't read anything through them, it's a maintenence issue. Not a platter issue.
This is my Royal Guard that I restored 8 years ago. It has received fairly regular play in the years since. This is how the non adhesive mylars and the playfield underneath look today. The area under the bumpers was like a lot of the playfield, pretty roached. I had to sand out the ball wear groove in the upper arch, it was so bad the ball would hang in it.

Royal Guard platters (resized).jpgRoyal Guard platters (resized).jpg

2 months later
#43 3 years ago

In a home environment you'll probably never face the issue but the problem with the adhesive mylar is, well, it's adhesive. If it gets messed up you run the chance of paint loss trying to remove it.

Again, the results from the non adhesive mylar platters are because nobody maintained the game, not that the mylar caused the damage.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Here is some evidence of what can occur when Mylar pop bumper protectors without stickum is used:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
After some cleaning:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I know nothing about the history of this Gottlieb Snow Derby so I can't tell you if these pop bumper protectors are original or add-ons.
Dirt and grit CAN collect under the protector, causing wear, possibly even increasing the speed of the wear. Without the adhesive, these protectors tend to lift over time and no longer lie flat on the playfield - not an aesthetically pleasing sight.
Given a choice between non-adhesive or adhesive, I would choose the adhesive pop bumper protectors. Removing the pop bumpers and thoroughly cleaning and waxing the area under and around the pop bumpers is a must before putting on the adhesive Mylar pop bumper protectors.
There is another option that you might want to consider. It involves using the non-adhesive protectors and some rubber cement. It is experimental, so consider that carefully before you choose this option. If it doesn't work out for you, it should be fully reversible:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-pecos-diary-tips-and-tricks-for-restoring-and-fixing-em-and-ss-pins#post-5335577

I'd bet they are original because in order to replace them, you need to remove the bumpers. And the condition of those bumpers tells you that has never been done.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Agreed, but I'd wax the heck out of the pf before putting down the mylar

Sure. But you really only need a normal waxing. If you put down multiple coats it really won't give any more protection

#51 3 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

I know, but it sounded good.
It would be able to be removed without (hopefully) pulling up paint.
I'm concerned about ruining a 49 year old NOS pf if I add the mylar, as well as if I don't add mylar! Granted this will only be home use only, so it won't get much wear at all.

I'd use non adhesive or no mylar at all but it's not my playfield. Good luck however you proceed

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Thanks,
I'd never use non-adhesive. I've seen too many pop bumper areas destroyed by those. Granted, after years of abuse and neglect, but still.....

If it's after years of abuse and neglect then the platters didn't cause the damage. The abuse and neglect did. Just like it caused all the other playfield damage you're likely to find.

Unless you're not going to maintain your game which I can't believe you'd do, you'll never see that kind of damage again in a home environment. Probably not even if you routed the game. Maintaining it will prevent it.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

An adhesive mylar platter works better and cannot damage the playfield. There is no way dirt can get under it.

It can. See above.

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Add adhesive mylar yes, case closed.

Oh ok. Case closed? Well then...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EMsInKC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-add-pop-bumper-mylar-or-not-?tu=EMsInKC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.