Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Fast-Ed
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14.jpg
    10.jpg
    9.jpg
    19.jpg
    28.jpg
    26.jpg
    24.jpg
    22.jpg
    27.jpg
    18.jpg
    17.jpg
    8.jpg
    7.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Hi,
    I have been watching TNT Amusements videos on Youtube for some time now. I like to see machines in bad shape get nice treatment.

But something has been bothering me. He talks a lot about not using sharpies and doing it right with paint etc. But it looks like he is doing touch up in small scale/minor areas, when reading Vid's awesome guide he advises people to paint the whole area so the fade will be even and the touch up will not be notable after some time.

So I would like to ask in here if any people has close up pictures of TNT touch up work?
    Also would LOVE to see some of he's old work to see if the touch up holds up?

#2 8 years ago

From what he says in his videos, he puts mylar over all his touch ups, so I imagine they hold up fine. Not every machine can have the playfield completely restored and clear coated, that is just not realistic.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from Elvisinmypants:

From what he says in his videos, he puts mylar over all his touch ups, so I imagine they hold up fine. Not every machine can have the playfield completely restored and clear coated, that is just not realistic.

I am not thinking about the durability of the job. But the uneven fade/matching.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

I am not thinking about the durability of the job. But the uneven fade/matching.

They are not selling show winners, they are selling presentable players.

#5 8 years ago

This. But to be included, their touch up guy does a phenomenal job. You rarely see it not blended or matched.

#6 8 years ago

I had a question to the restoration work. He is very proud of the work they do. So all I wanted was to see the work on some images and also learn if there process would hold up during time when I have read that it is not the best practice.

Your comments does not help me at all.

Quoted from nikpinball:

This. But to be included, their touch up guy does a phenomenal job. You rarely see it not blended or matched.

Do you have some images you could share? Would love to see it?

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

I had a question to the restoration work. He is very proud of the work they do. So all I wanted was to see the work on some images and also learn if there process would hold up during time when I have read that it is not the best practice.

I think the way they do things, while it looks nice, would not hold up over time as vid details in his playfield restoration thread. If you want a show piece, do it vids way, if you want something that will look nice and take less effort, tnt might be the way to go. However, I bet they are pretty expensive if you are asking because you are considering using their services.

Might also consider one of the handful of other restorers that are mentioned ok pinside consistently too. They seem to be really good, and if your going to pay a third party to do your project, might as well look into all of them.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

also learn if there process would hold up during time when I have read that it is not the best practice.

#9 8 years ago

Ive looked at TNT for arcade games. Their prices are super high and while I haven't seen a final product, I'd expect collector quality for what they charge. Would want to hear from someone who's owned a TNT game firsthand.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think the way they do things, while it looks nice, would not hold up over time as vid details in his playfield restoration thread. If you want a show piece, do it vids way, if you want something that will look nice and take less effort, tnt might be the way to go. However, I bet they are pretty expensive if you are asking because you are considering using their services.

Thanks, I am not looking for hes service just really curries after watching so many of hes videos and listening to him saying how great it is. With out being able to see it in the videos.

Quoted from kaneda:

Would want to hear from someone who's owned a TNT game firsthand.

Me too and see images of it. The "blurry" youtube videos is not detailed enough.

#11 8 years ago

Deciding on sending your game for someone else to do is a very tricky process I think because you can get all the recommendations in the world and your game could still come back not to your liking because no two games are the same. I plan to send a playfield away for touch up and clear coat in the near future, and if it is not absolutely perfect, I will be dissapointed. But I guess that is he risk you take not performing the work yourself.

#12 8 years ago

"Thank you" STRETCH2 for down voting all my comments. Very mature...
    Would love to hear why? I can see you sell and buy (shop) a lot of machines. Do you have something to do with TNT? Or?

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

"Thank you" STRETCH2 for down voting all my comments. Very mature...
    Would love to hear why? I can see you sell and buy (shop) a lot of machines. You are not that popular in all your threads, do you have something to do with TNT? Or?

Personally attack him for disagreeing, because that is "mature"

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Ive looked at TNT for arcade games. Their prices are super high and while I haven't seen a final product, I'd expect collector quality for what they charge. Would want to hear from someone who's owned a TNT game firsthand.

How could he possibly sell games for the same as a private seller?

He has to put work into the game to fix it, touch it up and bulletproof it, and then he warranties it.

What do you think his loaded rate for his employees is, with insurance and benefits?

Plus he's got rent, utilities, insurance, upkeep and other overhead.

A guy running a business isn't the same as a hobby guy dicking around on his weekends.

A lot of people would actually need to buy an "overpriced" game from a vendor like this, they don't have the ability to fix one up or keep it running.

Setting all that aside, obviously he's doing something right since he's been in business for a couple of decades.

#15 8 years ago

TNT is a retailer. Todd's one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk to, should you see him at a show etc.

He's not a pinball 'restorer'.

His prices are retail. I wouldn't expect a CQ game at those prices. I'd expect a decent quality players machine that plays correctly. He has a retail location, a staff, etc and if you considered the amount of hours and overhead that would be required to make a game CQ, you'd quickly realize it would cost 2-3x what Todd is charging. Maybe more.

Hobbyists make games CQ for limited or zero wages. Those CQ games get into the market when the hobbyists decide it's time to enjoy another game, and to do so, they have to sell one of their existing games or multiple of their existing games.

Ask Todd for some photos of the touchups, I'm sure he'd oblige.

#16 8 years ago

TNT doesn't return phone calls. I'm leaving this vague, but his videos are humerous.

#17 8 years ago

Personally attack him for disagreeing, because that is "mature"

I dont "attack" him would just like to know why he disagree and thought it was funny that he was a "shopper" and thought he might have done it because of that.

This whole thread is going down the drain
    All I wanted was some photos from people who had bought machines from him. Both recently and long time ago. To see how it looks and how it fades... THATS ALL! Its not like I want to talk bad about TNT, talk about prices, want him to change practice or anything.
    Just images/experiences from people...

#18 8 years ago

If you're in this thread and bought a $4000 MAME cabinet, you're not qualified to comment on prices because you're clueless.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

I dont "attack" him would just like to know why he disagree and thought it was funny that he was a "shopper" and thought he might have done it because of that.
    All I wanted was some photos from people who had bought machines from him. Both recently and long time ago. To see how it looks and how it fades... THATS ALL! Its not like I want to talk bad about TNT, talk about prices, want him to change practice or anything.

Good point!

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

You attacked him in your first post:

Quoted from tezting:

So I would like to ask in here if any people has close up pictures of this "awesome touch up" he keeps saying TNT does?

Intentional or not, but putting the awesome touch up in quotations comes off as very condescending.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Could you please give an advice on what I could have written for an explanation giving the situation?

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Intentional or not, but putting the awesome touch up in quotations comes off as very condescending.

English is not my native language so sorry for that.
    What I meant was that he_ says it is awesome. Thought you used quotations when its something that people say. But sorry for that.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

Could you please give an advice on what I could have written for an explanation giving the situation?

English is not my native language so sorry for that.
    What I meant was that he_ says it is awesome. Thought you used quotations when its something that people say. But sorry for that.

All you had to do was asking for pictures of his work.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

I have edited my question hope it is more correct now...

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Wow dsuperbee! When did you become a forum moderator? Maybe you should get off your high horse and stop coming across looking like an ass. The OP said it wasn't his intention to "attack" TNT. Just because you seem to be hyper sensitive to comments about TNT doesn't mean that was the original intent. Why do you feel it is your duty to defend anything YOU deem an attack on TNT? If the moderators have an issue with what is being said they can edit it...you...not so much.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

Wow dsuperbee! When did you become a forum moderator? Maybe you should get off your high horse and stop coming across looking like an ass. The OP said it wasn't his intention to "attack" TNT. Just because you seem to be hyper sensitive to comments about TNT doesn't mean that was the original intent. Why do you feel it is your duty to defend anything YOU deem an attack on TNT? If the moderators have an issue with what is being said they can edit it...you...not so much.

Not hyper sensitive at all. You seem to be much more worried about it than I am. I am not defending TNT at all. Just said it came off as condescending. YOU seem to be the more hyper sensitive individual than I.

Please show me ANY post where I have gone and defended TNT.....pro tip: you won't. I didn't edit ANYTHING here. Not so sure where you got the idea that I did.

#26 8 years ago

Okay, let's put our cocks and tape measures away and discuss TNT restorations and see some damn pics. You can tell who doesn't get laid enough around here.

#27 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

How could he possibly sell games for the same as a private seller?
    He has to put work into the game to fix it, touch it up and bulletproof it, and then he warranties it.
    What do you think his loaded rate for his employees is, with insurance and benefits?
    Plus he's got rent, utilities, insurance, upkeep and other overhead.
    A guy running a business isn't the same as a hobby guy dicking around on his weekends.
    A lot of people would actually need to buy an "overpriced" game from a vendor like this, they don't have the ability to fix one up or keep it running.
    Setting all that aside, obviously he's doing something right since he's been in business for a couple of decades.

Why are you being so aggressive and defensive. All I said was his prices were high. Nowhere did I say they weren't worth this prices. So take a Sunday chill pill man. I pay top dollar for my arcades and I've explored buying some from TNT. Just couldn't justify $1,700 for a Neo Geo.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

If you're in this thread and bought a $4000 MAME cabinet, you're not qualified to comment on prices because you're clueless.

I'd just like to address TOK here since he's calling me out for my dream home arcade. tOK have you ever seen a dream home arcade in person? They are worth every penny and are 3k not 4. Even when Richie Knucklez came over he was blown away by the quality. Oh and dream home arcades has a 4 month wait list, their business is booming. So either everyone's getting ripped off or the KLOV community doesn't realize the popularity of mame and why it makes way more sense to have one machine that plays everything vs a room full of games that get real old after a while.

#30 8 years ago

Back to the topic of touchups, vid recommending to touch up the whole area takes alot of pressure of your abilty to tint paint. The closer you can get the paint to the correct color the less important that becomes. Fading can still be an issue but someone exceptionally good at tinting can probably cheat more.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Their prices are outrageous. Then again he has an army of workers and a nice location. Bills gotta get paid some how.

#32 8 years ago

Some people you just can't reach. I've had dickhead clients like the dude starting this thread and there's no pleasing them. Mental misfits

#33 8 years ago

Todd really is a heck of a nice guy, very aporoachable and lots of funny stories.
    I know he gets a lot of shit from his competitors for the way he does his fixes and restorations, but I'll tell you what, watch some of his videos and he does know his stuff! A lot of good advice, tips, experience, he's been around the block and back with Pinball.

#34 8 years ago

Todd is a nice guy for real.

He runs a retail location, with retail prices.

That means his market is regular retail customers, not pinheads.

He repairs the games, touches up the paint and delivers them to the customer.

A guy like HEP serves a different market. His "restorations" are closer to "remanufacturing", and his prices, of course, reflect that.

Porsche does not put Ford out of business, nor vice versa.

Each has it's own market space .

-

The Vid's playfield guide is for **ultimate** restorations - where the restored playfield comes out better than new. That level of restoration would put another $2000 on top of the retail prices that TNT needs to charge to stay in business.

#35 8 years ago

$1700 for a Neo Geo. That seems above retail and should be collector quality, no?

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

$1700 for a Neo Geo. That seems above retail and should be collector quality, no?

no.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

A retail shop is going to have to charge a lot more than the "street price" on used games.

Let's say that they had their games priced at normal street prices:

All the games would sell instantly (just like fairly priced games on Craigslist do), and now the shop would have no inventory. It's not like they can just call up Bally and order more used games.

Even if they charged 30% more, all their games would be gone from impatient collectors and those who fear Craigslist encounters (and not the 'lonely housewife' kind).

-

The person who shops at a retail store for a used pin is a different customer than a hardcore pinhead; just like a person who buys a '67 Mustang from one of those "classic auto showrooms" is a different customer than the guy who buys a '67 Stang from Craigslist.

#38 8 years ago

True!

#39 8 years ago

I Have a machine from TNT that I got years ago and have since completely restored it. When it arrived it was in nice condition however not a restored condition...just nice. If you are not skilled or looking to restore a game then TNT is a decent retailer with fair prices for the service they are providing.

#40 8 years ago

Usually I don't post anything, just lurk around, but I'll share my experiences with TNT. I've bought all my games from TNT(1 NIB), so technically 2 games that were restored. Rescue 911 and Batman Forever. I really wish that I had the R911 before picture. It was trashed compared to what it turned out to be. Paint missing from playfield, flippers had no power. Did I pay a little more, yes. Could I have done it on my own, he'll no. If I have a problem, got piece of mind that they will help me(which I did), guy was over for close to 2 hours trying to figure out why it's doing what it's doing. The Med Alert was registering sometimes, eventually figured it out. Unfortunately, they can't help me in the regard that I suck in BF, but, what are you going to do. I'm looking at R911 trying to figure out where the paint was missing, and can't remember. Touch up was really good. Anybody that knows R911, I've had it since the end of Oct, and saved over 14k lives in that timeframe and the game still plays great with no problems or chipping of paint. Even TWD I got had a problem with the optic, not their fault, they fixed the optic and now every barn shot registers. Do you pay more, yes. Quality work, yes. Piece of mind, yup. thats my take and if I figure out where the paint was done, I'll post pics

#41 8 years ago

Found this touch up in the back by the hole. It was bear between the mylar and the hole. This was as close and the best pic I could get, using my iPad and couldn't get a good angle, lot of glare. I know the side art on the cabinet was in rough shape, but because I have a low ceiling I can't really move the game around due to the dome light, I'd have to shift the other pins around, maybe tomorrow. Had the game for 6 months, and for a little bit, it was my only pin so it got a lot of playtime. I'll look over BF tomorrow, but that was in really good shape.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #42 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Yes!

Im not sure if it is a U.S based price.

But an origional dedicated. Neo Geo 4 slot here in canada goes for $900 CDN.
    And thats retail.

2 slot $750 retail.

At least thats what my local retailer is charging.

For $1700 U.S. it should be a MINT collector quality 4 slot with the most popular/rare games. Not bootlegs as well. Possibly extra carts too.

But then again vids are pretty much dead here. Unless its something rare or a super popular title.

#43 8 years ago

I bought my Next Generation machine from Todd.

Will it be perfect like it is new out of box? Of course not, game is 20 years old. But it is in great shape. I don't know enough to do any of the board work. It is nice how they bulletproof it.

#44 8 years ago

Keep in mind--when you're repairing your own games, you don't really pay yourself a wage when doing it.

Some shop jobs can take 30-50 hours. So, if you're getting, say, $25 an hour, that could end up being $750-$1250.

So, with a retail seller like TNT, you have the cost of the machine, plus replacement parts (easily $500 or more), plus labor, plus a small amount for business costs (rent, lights, insurance, phone, warranty, support, delivery, etc), and a small amount for profit.

When you break it down, there really isn't much in terms of price inflation. This is simply what it costs a retailer to repair a pin.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from JeffLadder:

Found this touch up in the back by the hole. It was bear between the mylar and the hole. This was as close and the best pic I could get, using my iPad and couldn't get a good angle, lot of glare. I know the side art on the cabinet was in rough shape, but because I have a low ceiling I can't really move the game around due to the dome light, I'd have to shift the other pins around, maybe tomorrow. Had the game for 6 months, and for a little bit, it was my only pin so it got a lot of playtime. I'll look over BF tomorrow, but that was in really good shape.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Thank you for sharing a image Looks good.
    Hope more people have images they can share.

This is all I wanted when I started this thread, but 90% seems to be about TNT business and prices

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

TNT is a retailer. Todd's one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk to, should you see him at a show etc.
    He's not a pinball 'restorer'.
    His prices are retail. I wouldn't expect a CQ game at those prices. I'd expect a decent quality players machine that plays correctly. He has a retail location, a staff, etc and if you considered the amount of hours and overhead that would be required to make a game CQ, you'd quickly realize it would cost 2-3x what Todd is charging. Maybe more.
    Hobbyists make games CQ for limited or zero wages. Those CQ games get into the market when the hobbyists decide it's time to enjoy another game, and to do so, they have to sell one of their existing games or multiple of their existing games.
    Ask Todd for some photos of the touchups, I'm sure he'd oblige.

well said, totally agree.
    his prices are higher yes, but the majority of that is labour costs. many hours go into each and every one of his machines.

#47 8 years ago

Prices reflect service. I don't mind paying extra to get a game I want, in the condition I want, when I want, with someone that backs their work and offers some kind of warranty. You can try out the game and negotiate the price. Plus they can handle getting it to your home and getting it setup. There is some value to all that so you cannot compare those prices to as-is, cash and carry Craigslist pricing.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

Thank you for sharing a image Looks good.
    Hope more people have images they can share.
    This is all I wanted when I started this thread, but 90% seems to be about TNT business and prices

I suggest starting a new thread for your TNT up close and personal pictures. This is clearly at TNT pricing thread now haha.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

Okay, let's put our cocks and tape measures away and discuss TNT restorations and see some damn pics. You can tell who doesn't get laid enough around here.

You don't need a tape measure for me. A micrometer will do just fine.

1 month later
    #50 8 years ago

Got a SMB a few weeks ago from TNT and wanted to before and after. was waiting to see if he was going to post a vid, havnt seen it yet. Took these before the new ramps were installed or touched up. Got a bunch of good shots with no glareimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Here is the after. Some shots have glare cause I took it with the pin on instead of offimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tnt-amusements-touch-uprestoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.