“TNA VS GOTG Pro VS Houdini”

• Total Nuclear Annihilation 48 votes
    47%
  • Guardian of the Galaxy 12 votes
    12%
  • Houdini 43 votes
    42%

(103 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ericc123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Title pretty much says it all. I know that everyone hates the which should I buy threads but this one has me a little stumped. Guardians is a dream theme for me, but I had a chance to play it locally and didn't love it. That being said, I think it was more the code than the shots, and I hope that will be fixed over time. I also know that I can wait for them to get it right before I buy it so no big rush. I currently have four Sterns in my collection and I thought that GOTG might be just more of the same and it seems like Sterns quality has been steadily slipping.

I really like the look of TNA, love the music, and love the light show. It's not something that will be available locally to play prior to purchase, so I'm probably going to have to jump in blind on this one. I really love the Spooky/Scott D. story and would love to support them, but the whole no ramps thing gives me pause and I'm not sure how much staying power it has. Definitively looks like fun and has the easy to learn hard to master aura to it. It just comes down to what do you consider a must have in a new pinball machine. I have four other games, so a change of pace game might be perfect, and I'll always have the mode based games to fall back on.

Houdini is another theme that I love, and I really like the look of this machine. Again, haven't had a chance to play one but a lot of the same arguments as TNA apply here. The trunk shot is one of the most impressive things I've seen in pinball in a while and Rosh in the Houdini thread has been so amazing I really want to support American Pinball as well. I have read that the shots are tight, so I worry about that a little.

So just to summarize:

GOTG: Pro's: Art, Theme, Price Con's: Gameplay?, Current Code, Quality Concerns
TNA: Pro's: Art, Music, Light Show, Company, Different Gameplay Con's: Lastability
HOUDINI Pro's: Art, Theme, Value for the money, Wow Factor, Company Con's: Most Expensive (still a great value) New Company, Tight Shots

Let me know what you think and thank you for your time.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Everyone hates these kind of threads because you can't tell someone else what they would like. Play all 4 games and see which you like best.
If you can't play all 4 games, then make a decision based on what you CAN play. There is no reason to buy any of these games without playing first.

I thought I was fairly clear about what I liked/disliked about each machine. I don't think that TNA or Houdini will be available to play in my area for the foreseeable future, so it's a gamble either way. By your logic I should only buy GOTG or wait indefinitely. I was hoping to get opinions because I'm sort of split and they are all very different machines. Thanks for chiming in though.

#13 6 years ago

It looks like VUK is 4 hours from my place, so definitely an overnight trip for me but something I’ll consider. Thanks to all that have voted/voiced an opinion so far.

#18 6 years ago

It’s crazy how close the voting is with 56 votes in. The fact that GOTG is only at 13% really says something about how Stern released that game. Either that or people are convinced that TNA and Houdini are something special. Probably a combination of the two.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I looked up a video so i could post about how you are so wrong about TNA having the superior light show, and holy crap was I wrong! That game takes a while to grab onto but once it got going, wow! I still think Houdini is a better value but damn I get i about TNA now.

And thus my dilemma. Music and lights vs theme and value for the money. All good choices, even GOTG possibly someday.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 19.95
6,495 (Firm)
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dow, IL
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ericc123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-vs-gotg-pro-vs-houdini?tu=ericc123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.