Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE8BF63C-5ABD-4D55-A891-CCB6FD4D1BFB (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Yesterday, I hosted my league tournament, which means that everything that could go wrong, did. TNA developed an issue where the R flipper became intermittently weak (maybe 50% of flips were at 25% normal power). Also, in putting in a custom shooter rod, now both it and the autoplunger are weak and seemingly misaligned. The latter issue, I'm sure, is an installation thing. The former, however, has me perplexed. Anyone? Thanks!

#3 5 years ago

Check/replace the coil sleeve. Check the link and plunger.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Check/replace the coil sleeve. Check the link and plunger.

correct and clean coil stop just a little bit with a stroke of a wire brush or sandpaper.

Quoted from pinlawyer:

in putting in a custom shooter rod, now both it and the autoplunger are weak and seemingly misaligned. The latter issue

probably proper adjustment needed and a bit more aligning,tightening.

#6 5 years ago

I had similar issues with my TNA as well and I haven’t quite figured out the flipper weakness. It is my right flipper too and have tried measuring voltage and everything checks out fine. Coil seems fine, switched to the newer springs that were given to me by spooky. Everything seems aligned and moving properly. I am stumped, definitely feels weaker than the left. Let me know what you figure out...please. As for the misaligned shooter lane, my shooter lane ramp was installed too far to the left causing the ball to hit awkwardly and then the wall and roll back down on most auto launches. I had to adjust the ramp over to the right and rescrew it in. Here is a pic of the ramp before I adjusted it. There shouldn’t be a gap on the right side. Not sure if that’s what is causing you issues but make sure and check it.

FE8BF63C-5ABD-4D55-A891-CCB6FD4D1BFB (resized).pngFE8BF63C-5ABD-4D55-A891-CCB6FD4D1BFB (resized).png
#7 5 years ago

What I'm finding on most TNAs that I've worked on is the flipper bats are adjusted too tight to the playfield. They will work fine at full power when cold, but as the assembly warms up and the parts expand, the flipper bats begin to bind slightly resulting in a weaker flip.

Properly adjust the flipper so there's enough of an up/down gap in relation to the playfield to allow for the parts to expand when they get warmer.

I've also found on most new manufacturer's games these days that the flipper cabinet switch isn't adjusted properly. Getting a good, solid closing and swiping action on the contacts is very important. Weak flippers seem to occur if not adjusted properly.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Yesterday, I hosted my league tournament, which means that everything that could go wrong, did. TNA developed an issue where the R flipper became intermittently weak (maybe 50% of flips were at 25% normal power). Also, in putting in a custom shooter rod, now both it and the autoplunger are weak and seemingly misaligned. The latter issue, I'm sure, is an installation thing. The former, however, has me perplexed. Anyone? Thanks!

Did you have a lot of machines on the same circuit? P-ROC systems like TNA seem to be more sensitive to line voltage changes, so perhaps too many on the same circuit on at the same time?

3 months later
#9 5 years ago

Hey guys,

My TNA is brand new, with the same right flipper issues listed above. weak intermittent R flipper,

How did you fix yours? Spooky resolution?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Hey guys,
My TNA is brand new, with the same right flipper issues listed above. weak intermittent R flipper,
How did you fix yours? Spooky resolution?

contact spooky direct.

*assuming you have already tried all the normal stuff in this thread >> too tight to pf, flipper button switch needs adjusting, etc.

It is quite simple to take apart a flipper and put it back together. That is always my #1 on any game with an issue. I also replace the sleeve at that time, bcause they are cheap and easy to do when apart. Also I got burnt on a few Sterns with bad sleeves causing binding so i learned my lesson.

#11 5 years ago

That’s odd, it runs off P3-ROC, which I’ve found the flippers to be way too powerful and had to tone them down via code. That’s one of the nice parts of Gerry’s boards, pulse time. You can adjust the strength of the coil pulses. However, this doesn’t sound like that and I doubt TNA has open source user code with it

#12 5 years ago

Most likely a flipper switch not making solid contact, but contact Spooky if you are having any issues with your game and they will get you fixed up.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Most likely a flipper switch not making solid contact, but contact Spooky if you are having any issues with your game and they will get you fixed up.

Flipper switch tests fine. I sent Charlie an emailed. It seems odd that it is the R flipper for most of us.

#14 5 years ago

I've had no problems with the flippers but damn if those slings are touchy. I hate draining balls because the upper playfield decides to go nuts when the shaker gets going. Upper sling decides to act up weeks after the first. It's cheating to max the reactor. You people sold me a bill of goods and now I have to do work for myself

#15 5 years ago

I contacted Spooky about my weak flipper and went through a series of trouble shooting with their tech. I measured everything he asked for and it all checked out. Still I feel the flipper is weaker than the left. Flipper gap looks fine, sleeve looks good, coil does feel warm but nothing out of the ordinary. I guess the next step is replace the coil and assembly? I am watching this thread to see if anyone comes up with a solution.

#16 5 years ago

I am still working with Charlie SpookyCharlie for a resolution....none yet.

#17 5 years ago

We are having similar issues with Houdini, where the flipper is being knocked down despite the button being pushed in. This occurs in multiball most frequently, when there are a lot
Of coils and specifically magnets firing. Could this be an issue common to both games due to the similar hardware?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

We are having similar issues with Houdini, where the flipper is being knocked down despite the button being pushed in. This occurs in multiball most frequently, when there are a lot
Of coils and specifically magnets firing. Could this be an issue common to both games due to the similar hardware?

Correct, most frequently in multiball...
These flipper coils don’t have a EOS switch and run hot.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Correct, most frequently in multiball...
These flipper coils don’t have a EOS switch and run hot.

Exact Same issue with Houdini. Very interesting - hopefully this can lead to some solutions

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

What I'm finding on most TNAs that I've worked on is the flipper bats are adjusted too tight to the playfield. They will work fine at full power when cold, but as the assembly warms up and the parts expand, the flipper bats begin to bind slightly resulting in a weaker flip.
Properly adjust the flipper so there's enough of an up/down gap in relation to the playfield to allow for the parts to expand when they get warmer.

I recently found this same issue with the flipper bat with a local collector's TNA. I made sure there was a gap between the flipper bat and the flipper bushing coming out of the playfield.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I recently found this same issue with the flipper bat with a local collector's TNA. I made sure there was a gap between the flipper bat and the flipper bushing coming out of the playfield.

I think this is the most likely cause of most people's issue; since it seems to be found only during longer play sessions.

I have had zero flipper weakness issues on mine, but I also adjusted flipper builds to my liking right out of the gate.

#22 5 years ago

Line voltage should not matter on TNA. It uses a switching power supply for the coils. This automatically adjust for changes in line voltage. In multi ball, if two coils fire at the same time, there is the potential for them to have reduced power. The capacitors in the power supply and at the power entry are supposed to mitigate this, however.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-r-flipper-weakness-issue?hl=cycloneman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.