(Topic ID: 210618)

TNA Owners - User Voice (Ideas for the future)

By grimnim

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by SeikoKid
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2668 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2667 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2665 (resized).jpeg
achievement (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180310-133612~01 (resized).png
oooohhhh-hes-tryin (resized).jpg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

hey everyone, welcome to the TheNoTrashCougar fan club!
I recently got my TNA and was thinking about all the things it could do and wouldn't it be cool to keep developing the game?

so i want to hear your ideas and share some of mine then i'll post a poll to hear what Owners (but everyone is welcome) would like to see.

pretty much every game i have encountered thus far has been either score or storyline and i would really love to start seeing things that make the games less individual and more team based so here is my current wishlist and that will probably shine through a little...

1 - pinbrowser or similar support to be able to swap out audio / video / images

2 - single player unlimited ball mode, instead of getting a set number of balls, you just get an unlimited number of balls to keep playing through the storyline and see how many it takes you to finish. it would also be cool to use as a training mode without having to keep restarting the game and also a way to experience the later stages of the game for noobs. it would also be a cool way to play co-op with friends.

3 - timed game mode, basically like unlimited ball mode but once a set timer expires. this would be awesome for location if you want players to at least get a minimum game time but could also be cool for head to head matches (eg. highest score in 30 seconds then the flippers go dead)

4 - ghost mode. basically first player sets the target score and 2nd player gets that long to try and beat it. keep going until someone cant beat previous players time?

5 - coop / team mode. basically each player continues the last players game to see how far you can all get together. scores could show each players contribution with a final score shown on the end screen or just a total score.

6 - keep playing till you are number 1. basically in a multiplayer game, if you dont have the highest score, you play your next ball until you either get ahead or run out of balls. this is good because if you are playing someone and they set a big score and you lose your ball 1 with a crap score, you dont wait to redeem yourself. also adds extra strategy to the game.

interested in peoples thoughts on my ideas and hearing your ideas too!
grimnim

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from grimnim:

2 - single player unlimited ball mode, instead of getting a set number of balls, you just get an unlimited number of balls to keep playing through the storyline and see how many it takes you to finish. it would also be cool to use as a training mode without having to keep restarting the game and also a way to experience the later stages of the game for noobs. it would also be a cool way to play co-op with friends.

I kinda like this idea, but only if it's a completely separate game mode. I don't know if score makes much sense playing this way, and high score should actually be least balls used.

#3 6 years ago

Good ideas, I like the timed mode idea of a set time limit.

#4 6 years ago

Hopefully Scott is ok with this... I don't see any other code developer having this level of open communication with users. At some point, he's gotta call it done and move on to the next game : )

#5 6 years ago

All I want is for Matt mandraws to draw a slick decal that can be aligned and placed/removed at the bottom of the playfield...something featuring our heroine to cover the logo. (for a fair fee, of course)

For as much as I like several of the concepts proposed by the OP, we couldn't ask TheNoTrashCougar for anything else - this guy has already blown all the competition away! (pun intended)

#6 6 years ago

I want Scott to add a different sound each time you get a bonus multiplier.

#7 6 years ago

It's a great game right now, why not just enjoy it for what it is, instead of trying to clutter it up with things it doesn't actually need? More isn't always better, it's a simple game, that's easy to pick up, and hard to master. If you're bored because you're blowing up 9 reactors every game post some videos, you must be pretty good!

You're excited, I'm sure you mean well, but the guy just created his vision, down to composing all the music, and your first request is "hey, let me take your music out and put in my own songs". That's kind of weird. "Thanks for making all this music Scott, how can I take it out?"

It doesn't need a timed mode, ball times aren't long. If you're not playing long enough, keep practicing, that's the point.

It's already a great multiplayer game.

Sorry man, you're just happy and I'm pissing on your thread, but I think it's okay to let a game be what it is.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's a great game right now, why not just enjoy it for what it is, instead of trying to clutter it up with things it doesn't actually need? More isn't always better, it's a simple game, that's easy to pick up, and hard to master. If you're bored because you're blowing up 9 reactors every game post some videos, you must be pretty good!
You're excited, I'm sure you mean well, but the guy just created his vision, down to composing all the music, and your first request is "hey, let me take your music out and put in my own songs". That's kind of weird. "Thanks for making all this music Scott, how can I take it out?"
It doesn't need a timed mode, ball times aren't long. If you're not playing long enough, keep practicing, that's the point.
It's already a great multiplayer game.
Sorry man, you're just happy and I'm pissing on your thread, but I think it's okay to let a game be what it is.

You don't need to be sorry for having a contrasting opinion to mine, that’s what forums are for! I will try to answer and respond to your questions in the order you placed them.

TNA is absolutely a great game and i think everyone enjoys playing it how it is. I think the reason to want to extend functionality of the game is self-explanatory, because it extends the longevity of the game, creates new experiences and appeals to different user groups.

I love the simple, linear rule set (that's one of the reasons i bought it) and i’m not blowing up anywhere near 9 reactors but most of what i am suggesting isn’t to make the game harder, it’s to make the game fun in different scenarios and for different audiences.

Imagine you are a new player going to play it on location and your game last 30 seconds, it might not be the best experience, but getting a minimum game time may make the game a lot more enjoyable. Being able to play a game co-operatively instead of competitively would appeal to a huge audience, especially those who want to play with friends that are a lot worse or better than them.

I also love the music (I have the cassette and I stream it in my car too) but I would love to change the google assistant voices and maybe add some humor to the game with different call-outs. Just look at what people have done with some stern games to see the value in that. It's not a knock at what Scott has done at all, he is a total hero and I think the total package of what he has created is better than any other game out there, that’s why it’s my first pin but that doesn’t mean it cant be opened up for change. I think even AMH you can change tracks using an SD card or something.

Anything, I think that your view is a little closed minded and I hope that Scott wouldn't read the thread the same way because the motivation behind this is to take pinball to the next level, appeal to new audiences and create new and exciting experiences for players.

I would love a game that continues to be developed, that’s the type of game you keep in your collection forever.

I would bet that if you asked TNA owners if they would spend an extra $500-1000 to get a handful of the ideas i put up, 70% would go for it, maybe more.

#9 6 years ago

Yes, it is a great game right now, and I agree that I would never even consider changing the music. I will admit that I'm not in love with that "total bonus" sound, though.

I'm certainly not bored and blowing up 9 reactors, which is why the infinite balls mode would be fun. I'd be able to play through the entire game, hearing all the music. I might even try setting the game to a high number of balls just to try this while the high scores on my game are still wiped out from the recent update. I keep thinking Contra with 30 lives. I played with 30 lives for a long time before I could make it through without the cheat.

Timed mode, I feel would promote flailing, so I'm not a fan of that idea. You can already increase the ball save timer.

I do think that sometimes it is difficult to make idea suggestions without sounding demanding and ungrateful.

$500 - $1000? I'll pass.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I might even try setting the game to a high number of balls just to try this

Sooo.... I set the game to 9 balls and played a bunch of games this weekend. I'm feeling very humbled since I didn't even come close to 9 reactors.

For me, the difficulty ramps up quickly once only one of the orbits is lit for getting into the upper reactor area. That, coupled with the spinner being devalued and the reactor temp slowly trickling back down in the new code, and I got my ass handed to me.

#11 6 years ago

How steep do you have yours set?

I like that you can orbit, let it bounce off the left flipper and hit the right flipper for an easy ball lock

I'll have mine at my own place in about a month so I am looking forward to getting past reactor 2.

Unrelated note- how is the flipper strength after you play for a while? Do you find they get any weaker, especially the right?

#12 6 years ago

Mine is set at 6.7 degrees.

If I shoot the right orbit and let it hit a held left flipper, it will bounce up to the middle target in the bank, then down to either the right flipper or right slingshot. It's too risky to do very often due to the times it hits the slingshot.

If I shoot the left orbit and let it hit a held right flipper, it will very often end up in the scoop. I am probably more consistent hitting the scoop that way than a direct shot.

My best number of reactors is 4 when set on 3 ball.

The flippers seem pretty consistent on mine, though I did set the flipper hold boost (or whatever it's called) to 3. Once in a while, it felt like they were getting knocked back down when held.

#13 6 years ago

I think Scott already has plenty of ideas that he's been continuously implementing through the several code updates we've already seen, and it' been only since November 2017 that machines started shipping? It's obvious that he's been very very very busy making this game as software stable, fun, and as error-free as possible. At the end of the day, he won't be able to make everyone happy, but he went in knowing that. He also didn't expect it to sell as many as it has, so he can find comfort in knowing that he has, indeed, made many people very happy. From all accounts, it seems pretty unanimous that people that have played it really enjoy it. Scott has done a fantastic job, and anything else he does with it icing on the top. I'm going to let the man work his genius and take whatever he comes up with.

#14 6 years ago

There’s nothing stopping you from doing all these things yourself - the used P3-ROC boards and run SkeletonGame. All open source products and you could drop in your replacement code very easily.

The thing is, pinball is hard. I’m not sure you appreciate how difficult a task you’re asking for here - that’s like half a year’s development work for some features that very few people want.

If you really want it, go for it - the platform is totally open although the original code isn’t.

#15 6 years ago

We should band together and buy Scott a moog, I want the next pin to be prog rock

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

There’s nothing stopping you from doing all these things yourself

Except that we're talking about playing TNA with slightly different rulesets rather than writing a completely different software load from scratch.

If Scott decides to implement any of these ideas, great. If not, that's his decision to make.

#17 6 years ago

Never going to agree for implementing paid DLC into the equation.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Except that we're talking about playing TNA with slightly different rulesets rather than writing a completely different software load from scratch.
If Scott decides to implement any of these ideas, great. If not, that's his decision to make.

Yeah exactly this and to be clear, I agree that the game is great how it is and I am not sure how long the development would take to do any of my ideas but all pinball (expect p3 as far as I know) is make a game one way.

The only reason I threw out the idea of DLC is because I know there would be a significant time required to develop new features and I for one would be happy to pay for it.

Now 1 guy willing to Shell out $500 is probably not worth what I am thinking a week or more of Scott's time but if we said hey guys it would take me 2 weeks and $5000 to make a new feature or two, that would be like $20 a head if everyone two has a TNA put in for it (hence user voice)

#19 6 years ago

How about after reactor 9 is complete, the game restarts and all subsequent scoring is doubled (like completing SuperHero on Spider-Man).

Otherwise it seems damn good out of the box with the latest code.

Very eager to get one in the UK (March at TILT, Birmingham) then maybe later in the year for potential purchase.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

How about after reactor 9 is complete, the game restarts and all subsequent scoring is doubled (like completing SuperHero on Spider-Man).
Otherwise it seems damn good out of the box with the latest code.
Very eager to get one in the UK (March at TILT, Birmingham) then maybe later in the year for potential purchase.

How about the reactors are going critical and you have to hit shots to cool them down before they blow up.

Like playing as someone from the future instead of the chick from the past?

Story line evolves, the futures been destroyed but humanity lives on and even further in the future, reverse time travel is finally invented and as the ancestor of the chick (or doppleganger, take your pick). You have to go back and save the past from the past to save the futures future

#21 6 years ago

It’s like you guys don’t even understand the game at all.

Reminds me of Hollywood executives telling directors how to “punch up” their scripts.

“Hey, I love everything you’ve done here, it’s great. But how about you change everything about it?”

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Reminds me of Hollywood executives telling directors how to “punch up” their scripts.
“Hey, I love everything you’ve done here, it’s great. But how about you change everything about it?”

AMEN!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I agree. Only thing I would like to see is some sort of the rumored team/co-operative mode capability.

Still think it would be really neat to be able to play 2 people working as a team to try and blow up the reactors. Have both people save the progress to kill meltdown the same set of 9 reactors. I pretty regularly can do 4 and think that seems like the most common threshold for good (but not great) players. Working together as a team possibly we could save the 80s

#24 6 years ago

Set the game to 6 balls and take turns. No software changes required.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Set the game to 6 balls and take turns. No software changes required.

that is lame and not the idea.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that is lame and not the idea.

It's the exact same result, only difference is a single score. Oh, and only 2 extra balls possible instead of 4 I guess.

#27 6 years ago

i think i now understand pinside or at least the vocal minority.
every game should have a set number of features which is determined by the almight version 1.0
once a game reaches this magical point, the game is considered complete and should only receive minor bug fixes and possible scoring balances.
why would anyone want a $10,000 (AUD) game to get new features?

oh and hey, there are workarounds for everything you want anyway. you want a virtual ball lock instead of ball stealing? just have everyone play 1 player games and buy 4 machines. want to play with the audio files? just recode the game from scratch because its p-roc.

this thread is not to spit in the face of the developer and say, hey make the game better. the game is amazing and well worth its value as is. no one is disputing that.

its to dream and share ideas. if scott or spooky want to capitalise on that and people are willing to pay for the things they like, then thats amazing and it can only be good for the game and the hobby.

personally, i would love to see as many people as possible owning a TNA. that'll reassure me that in 20 years time, i'll still be able to get parts and support and new owners will have a wealth of knowledge all over the world for whatever they encounter.

i don't know why a bunch of people want to shit everything. if you don't like the thread, just downvote it or ignore it and move on and let the people who actually want to engage in dialogue enjoy themselves.

i don't understand negative people

#28 6 years ago

If it's to "dream and share ideas", maybe you want to change the title to something other than "Requests", because frankly that sounds like a lot of entitlement and demanding as opposed to maybe "Ideas" or "Dreams", but hey maybe that's just me.

Oh, and my TNA is on a truck on it's way across the country to me right now.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

If it's to "dream and share ideas", maybe you want to change the title to something other than "Requests", because frankly that sounds like a lot of entitlement and demanding as opposed to maybe "Ideas" or "Dreams", but hey maybe that's just me.
Oh, and my TNA is on a truck on it's way across the country to me right now.

okay fair point, there you go, i changed it.
congrats on the TNA, let us know how you like it.

#30 6 years ago

Don’t let anyone crush your dreams

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Don’t let anyone crush your dreams

to use my dream theme, rick and morty....

oooohhhh-hes-tryin (resized).jpgoooohhhh-hes-tryin (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago

I wouldn't mind this being the tune for the last reactor.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from grimnim:

want to play with the audio files? just recode the game from scratch because its p-roc.

Well, it's certainly more open than a Stern or JJP game in that regard. There is literally nothing stopping you from implementing your ideas yourself.

#34 6 years ago

I think if you destroy reactor 9 the main board on the game should completely fry itself and self destruct . Giving you a difficult choice , complete your mission and make your game unplayable untill you replace the board . Much like the hero of this game knowing that completing her mission will also end her life .

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Well, it's certainly more open than a Stern or JJP game in that regard. There is literally nothing stopping you from implementing your ideas yourself.

Granted, he would have the SkeletonGame framework to start from, but without Scott's code, it is not possible to implement his ideas. He was asking about TNA with some modifications. He was not asking about new code to run on TNA hardware.

Has Scott voiced his thoughts on people modifying his game for their own use? I think I've read that he doesn't want to make it open source, and the code update packages are encrypted.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from grimnim:

5 - coop / team mode. basically each player continues the last players game to see how far you can all get together. scores could show each players contribution with a final score shown on the end screen or just a total score.

Love how grimnim got downvoted but one of his suggestions is now a reality. Probably the only good idea and maybe it was planned before but still funny.

Screenshot_20180310-133612~01 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180310-133612~01 (resized).png

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Probably the only good idea

I like #2 as well. Maybe you should give it a try. If you can Annihilate in 9 balls, you're better than I am.

#38 6 years ago

They are all good for different scenarios.
Here's a few more ideas that would be cool for tournament play or dollar games:

Follow the white rabbit: 1 shot is lit, only the lit shot is worth points.

Kiss of death: there is a red lit shot that when hit, kills the flippers for a moment.

No multiball: ball locks are now short time playfield multipliers, 2x 3x and 4x. Your multiplier drops if you don't hit a multiplier for a few seconds.

Master of flow: no holds / cradling on flippers

Red light / green light: single green lit shot makes scoring positive, hitting the naughty red lit shot makes all scoring negative till you hit the green shot.

All in a new menu, something like settings> gameplay(custom mods)

Modes can be stacked, colours are just used for example.

#39 6 years ago

Versus option for multiplayer where every reactor you destroy with a mutiplier takes points away from your opponents.

#40 6 years ago

I just noticed FalconPunch and grimnim are both from Melbourne. Do you guys know each other?

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree. Only thing I would like to see is some sort of the rumored team/co-operative mode capability.
Still think it would be really neat to be able to play 2 people working as a team to try and blow up the reactors. Have both people save the progress to kill meltdown the same set of 9 reactors. I pretty regularly can do 4 and think that seems like the most common threshold for good (but not great) players. Working together as a team possibly we could save the 80s

Sweet!

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I just noticed falconpunch and grimnim are both from Melbourne. Do you guys know each other?

There's almost 5million people in Melbourne Herg, what would be the odds of that?... But yeah we do

#43 6 years ago

There's near that many people in northern Virginia, and I'd say I know a large proportion of the pinball owners. On another forum, I agree, it would have been a stupid question, but here...

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from grimnim:

There's almost 5million people in Melbourne Herg, what would be the odds of that?... But yeah we do

Slightly better than average odds .

#45 6 years ago

quoting yourself like it wasn't already in the OP. lol

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from grimnim:

quoting yourself like it wasn't already in the OP. lol

I shared the idea long before you started the thread, but that was the whole joke.

Scott thought of it long before any of us

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I shared the idea long before you started the thread, but that was the whole joke.
Scott thought of it long before any of us

no need to be defensive mate, i'm just stirring the pot.
none of us invented the idea of co-op play lol
even though it'll get implemented the exact way i suggested

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

There's near that many people in northern Virginia, and I'd say I know a large proportion of the pinball owners. On another forum, I agree, it would have been a stupid question, but here...

Yeah the Melbourne scene is pretty small I think the biggest tournament / meet I've been to had maybe 70 people

2 months later
#49 5 years ago

My only suggestion is to be able to adjust how many credits are given when someone makes it onto the high-score or gc spot. On our machines out in the world I like to set gc scores at like 5-6 credits so the knocker terrifies everyone and you know something is going down!

#50 5 years ago

The only thing I can think of would be to add achievements across multiple games. It doesn't even need to add points, just sound the knocker and flash something across the screen, when 100, 500, 1000 reactors have been destroyed, 100, 500, 1000 RADs completed. Stuff like that: combos, spinner spins, etc. Have a list in the menu so users can work to complete those goals. I just know those achievements are very popular on video games and I'm surprised they haven't made their way to pinball, given the shift to the home market.

achievement (resized).jpgachievement (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 210.00
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-owners-user-voice-change-and-new-feature-requests?hl=audiohaven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.