(Topic ID: 202129)

TNA - Overreliance on Drop Targets/Multiball?

By IceFang

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider IceFang.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I've been closely following TNA ever since I was awestruck by early whitewood gameplay and its incredible original music. When the artwork came out, my excitement couldn't have been lifted any higher. (For me, artwork has always played a very minor role in my enjoyment of a machine, but this was the first time an art package had actually ENHANCED my impression of a game!)

However, during Dead Flip's streams at Spooky's and then Ed's, I started to notice one core gameplay aspect that concerned me, and more recent streams appear to have confirmed it: If you are not in multiball, there appears to be NO reason you shouldn't immediately trap up, ignore everything else, and make repeated drop target shots (relatively safe and easy) to start a multi-ball. Multiball is very powerful in that it doesn't stop progression through the game, it provides a complete safety net when trying to make difficult shots during what should be tense "destroy the reactor" moments, and it's also the driving force behind scoring. If you fail to hit those reactor shots during multiball, focus back on the drop target lane to restart multiball, and try again.

I fully admit I haven't played the game yet, so maybe I'm over-simplifying the ease of repeated lock shots. However, having watched about five hours of gameplay, it seems more and more apparent. I just feel that there's too much emphasis on the drop targets and starting multiball that it needs to be reigned in a bit or made more special somehow. Perhaps you can't start a fresh multiball when in the "destroy the reactor" phase? ...Perhaps only one multiball per reactor? ...Or perhaps, after a multiball ends, mix things up by having a different (randomized?) target be responsible for reactivating the locks instead of three MORE shots on the drop targets themselves.

I'm not trying to nit-pick... far from it. This game looks and sounds like nothing I've ever experienced in pinball, and I'm SO close to pulling the trigger and buying it. I just don't want every game to devolve into the drop targets always being the clear best choice to shoot for when not in a multiball. I want this game to shine in every way possible!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider IceFang.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-overreliance-on-drop-targetsmultiball?tu=IceFang and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.