• I don't like either :( 22 votes
    10%

(231 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180106_110559 (resized).jpg
download (2) (resized).jpg
IMG_0789 (resized).jpg
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Just wondering what people thought. Which is better? Houdini, TNA, or Alien? Just added alien. Can’t find a way to add Alien to the poll so just chose neither for Alien. Which one do you think you would buy and what one would last longer in your collection?

#2 6 years ago

Houdini is a slam dunk. Deep game, fast game, tough game. Plus it has ramps.

#3 6 years ago

I agree. If I had to pick one it would probably be Houdini. I just feel like it would stay longer in my collection.

#4 6 years ago

Definitely Houdini as it is the total package. TNA is just a one trick pony.

#5 6 years ago

I vote Houdini.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Definitely Houdini as it is the total package. TNA is just a one trick pony.

I would have to agree at this time - Houdini seems like the better package.

Now throw in Alien and let's get this party started!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Houdini is a slam dunk. ... Plus it has ramps.

A ramp (to be correct). I'm a big fan though!

Quoted from GravitaR:

TNA is just a one trick pony.

What?! I guess you might say that, but WHAT a pony!

#8 6 years ago

TNA!

#9 6 years ago

All my games already have ramps. TNA all the way for me.

#10 6 years ago

Houdini

#11 6 years ago

Both!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

You sure don't miss an opportunity to mention that game do you?

Also....Houdini. More variety and a much deeper game.

#13 6 years ago

Houdini but throw in a Danesi lock please.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I would have to agree at this time - Houdini seems like the better package.

yeah alien would change this poll quick!
thanks
blake

#15 6 years ago

I like TNA (really fun) but not sure how long it would hold up at the house. Houdini for me... I got to play a production Houdini last weekend and it is really nice.

I would run from Alien until they get their crap together.

#16 6 years ago

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more reviews on Houdini and yeah tna is a no go for the home environment

#17 6 years ago

Really Apples and Oranges. LOVE Joe Balcer games and what I have played so far of Houdini, its a really sweet game.

That said, I have played a bunch of TNA and it you dont love it, you dont get it. Its a retro machine that Scott filled with TLC.

Both games have a place in your collection.

#18 6 years ago

TNA. Challenging and easy to understand.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

That said, I have played a bunch of TNA and it you dont love it, you dont get it. Its a retro machine that Scott filled with TLC.

It seems that anybody who doesnt like/want TNA is accused of "not getting it".... im not sure why that is, the game is not everybodys cup of tea.

#20 6 years ago

I'm sure Alien is a great game, but not part of this poll, and the whole heighway thing seems to skeezy to me. I hope they prove me wrong over the next year or so

#21 6 years ago

Curious... of the nearly 100 votes, how many have played a production TNA or production Houdini?

Both are VERY different games and good in their own aspects.

I am yet to play a functioning Houdini production game so I cant comment on that one. I look forward to playing one and being able to experience it, but until that time comes, I have a lopsided opinion.

#22 6 years ago

Just added some Alien action!

#23 6 years ago

95%+ of the people commenting have not played a production game of either. You couldn't have much different games so it's all going to come down to play style and what you like. My only concern about Houdini is that stop and go mode based games tend to always get old to me super fast. It looks very promising though so I'll wait and see what I think when I get to play a production one. TNA is a very simple concept which will make some people instantly knock it. It's a blast to play though and while simple it does a lot of things really well. Both look like very good pinball offerings and both are very different games from what Stern or JJP are making which I applaud and think is awesome.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Houdini is a slam dunk. Deep game, fast game, tough game. Plus it has ramps.

You need to get out and play some pinball if you think ramps are what makes a great game. There's tons of awesome games that do not have ramps.

#24 6 years ago

I have played Houdini but not TNA. It's a tie for me. Both such different games and I'd love to have either one. I can attest to the fact that Houdini, in person, is gorgeous. Photos just don't do it justice.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You need to get out and play some pinball if you think ramps are what makes a great game. There's tons of awesome games that do not have ramps.

OMG dude have a drink, it’s only pinball

#26 6 years ago

I wouldn't touch Alien for 50% of the market price. It looks cool and sets a good mood, but that company is a dumpster fire at the moment.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

OMG dude have a drink, it’s only pinball

Calm down, it's just a suggestion that you might be missing out on some really cool stuff if you are limiting yourself to games with ramps. Plus it's before 9:00 AM here. I'm not a drunk or something, I wait until at least 9:15 to get started

#27 6 years ago

I looked under the hood of an Alien that was having issues, and saw engineering / connector design choices that make it a no-go for ownership, for me. Don't want to risk being left high & dry on a game with fundamental issues by a company which may not be around to support it.

#28 6 years ago

I don't think you can really choose any without playing all of them. I've played TNA and Alien but not Houdini. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. TNA is fantastic for what it is. Great light show and retro style gameplay. Alien has immersive gameplay, four flippers, and lot's of features. I really enjoyed playing it at a show bugs and all. Houdini looks to be somewhere in the middle. It just looks like a solid game with fun features and loads of details. I'm not even sure you can buy an Alien even if you wanted to. I would go with Houdini if you want more of a modern pinball experience and TNA if you like the retro/boutique thing.

#29 6 years ago

I really wanted to like Houdini. I still do... But the fact of the matter is I don't like it. I don't like the feel. I don't like the flipper feel. I don't like the way the ball bounces. I don't like the shots. Maybe my opinion would change If I had a chance to play a well sorted out one set on free play. It does look beautiful at first glance.
If you can manage it, play one first. make up your own mind.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Curious... of the nearly 100 votes, how many have played a production TNA or production Houdini?
Both are VERY different games and good in their own aspects.
I am yet to play a functioning Houdini production game so I cant comment on that one. I look forward to playing one and being able to experience it, but until that time comes, I have a lopsided opinion.

I have played Prototype functioning games of all three at shows and although the games are very different in gameplay if you want my opinion of the most fun that I enjoyed is in the following order. I rank Houdini First as far as game play, modern features and depth. It appeared very well designed and that Jersey Jack quality feel and modernness to it. Plus seems like a very good start-up company that has/will have less drama around manufacturing and support. Right behind that is TNA. At the shows it had the longest lines of recent memory to play and is a very different gameplay that the other LCD newer games and a winner in its own right. Plus the Spooky manufacturing is solid and you know you will get support. Not sure of the longevity of it holding value and if you really get the most bang for your buck but it is a great game. Alien looks great I was not sucked into the gameplay and at the last show had short lines or no lines to play it. I know there has been a lot of manufacturing drama and support around it so it ranks third in my opinion but still is the BEST Themed game of them all.

Houdini (By Far)
TNA
Alien

#31 6 years ago

I would go with TNA. I've played all three, I ordered TNA. With Houdini I felt like I was shooting posts all the time. The game is telling me all sorts of historic facts about someone I really don't care that much for. Alien as a theme doesn't interest me at all. TNA has that killer soundtrack and that "one more game" feel.

#32 6 years ago

Good Houdini video:

#33 6 years ago

Get both Houdini and TNA!

IMG_0789 (resized).jpgIMG_0789 (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Diz:

seems odd to have houdini at $1 per play and TNA at .50 per play.

They are similar in cost and both games are brand new. $1 per play should be standard on all new titles

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

seems odd to have houdini at $1 per play and TNA at .50 per play.
They are similar in cost and both games are brand new. $1 per play should be standard on all new titles

Simple. Houdini looks more expensive, has more bells and whistles, and the operator knows people will be inclined to play Houdini. Maximize those earnings.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Diz:

Seems like a cool place. I like the classic NES on the ledge. Do you have console to play also?

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Simple. Houdini looks more expensive, has more bells and whistles, and the operator knows people will be inclined to play Houdini. Maximize those earnings.

route data shows that TNA seems to be currently out earning all other games at almost 2x

I thought maybe it was a oddball thing but I have spoken with 5 other operators and they all say the same thing. Price ranges from .50 to $1 flat on those and the ones that priced at .50 have told me they wished they had done $1 in hindsight (you can always go down but hard to go up)

#38 6 years ago

Houdini would get my vote right now. The early reviews seem really positive and the code is looking good.

I look forward to having time on production machines of both it and Alien. I played prototypes at Texas last year.

AP just seems to have things much more together than Highway does. Getting an Alien right now would make me nervous with the issues games are having out of the box. I would worry about future support.

AP is new as well and only time will tell with them, but up to this point, the rollouts of these two games are night and day with the way they've been handled.

#39 6 years ago

I need more time on Houdini. Last time I played, it wasn't clicking with me all that well, but I saw tons of potential. I can't make a call between TNA and Houdini at this point.

Alien, however, I would steer clear from right now. I'd be happy to play one on location, but I am not a real big fan of the layout. There's lots to do and see, sure, but I haven't ever felt a strong draw to keep playing. Unless you're shooting perfectly (and even if you are sometimes), the layout can be frustrating and overly punishing. I like hard games, but this feels just a little too oddball for me.

TNA is pure pinball bliss. Of all the time I've put in on the three games, I'd take TNA for sure, but I can't say definitively until I get more time on Houdini.

#40 6 years ago

This is an interesting thread. Over on the TNA vs Star Wars thread that has recently been revived it is the polar opposite. Comments are overwhelming for TNA over SW. Both Houdini and SW represent the newer, more mainstream games with mechs, toys (no tie fighter comments, please) and ramps. Makes you wonder if both TNA and Houdini benefit from the goodwill generated by their designers and manufacturers. If so, it shows that the pinball community (at least on pinside) is eager to have an option other than Stern. Not trying to derail this into a "let's bash Stern" situation, but I just find it interesting. Seems the arguments here are TNA is one-note and is less modern vs the deep, full featured Houdini. Whereas on the other thread the comments are: TNA is unique, different, and we need to support new designers vs SW is the same old ramps, theme and llayout from Stern. Could be the fact that folks are desperate for something new and different. However, I would argue TNA is more "different" than Houdini in regards to recent machines from Stern and JJP. So, again, wondering why TNA is losing on this thread (so far). Full disclosure, I have not played either and have deposit down for TNA...but am considering a SW premium.

#41 6 years ago

Couldn’t agree more Crile1

#42 6 years ago

Bottom line I think they are both fun games and polar opposites, so pick the one that fits your style better. Really can't go wrong with either in my book.

#43 6 years ago

I find it really interesting how much opinion can shift over time. I had a similar thread about a month and a half ago asking which machine I should buy between Houdini, TNA, and Guardians of the Galaxy. It was very clear that it was a two horse race from the very beginning and it was 35 Houdini, 35, TNA and only 11 GOTG by the time I stopped checking the thread. Now, it appears Houdini is more popular, but that might just be excitement that they are finally shipping games.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I wouldn't touch Alien for 50% of the market price. It looks cool and sets a good mood, but that company is a dumpster fire at the moment.

Calm down, it's just a suggestion that you might be missing out on some really cool stuff if you are limiting yourself to games with ramps. Plus it's before 9:00 AM here. I'm not a drunk or something, I wait until at least 9:15 to get started

Lol! Touché! Haha

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

I find it really interesting how much opinion can shift over time. I had a similar thread about a month and a half ago asking which machine I should buy between Houdini, TNA, and Guardians of the Galaxy. It was very clear that it was a two horse race from the very beginning and it was 35 Houdini, 35, TNA and only 11 GOTG by the time I stopped checking the thread. Now, it appears Houdini is more popular, but that might just be excitement that they are finally shipping games.

considering there are only about 20 houdini even built at this point... I think it is more of a reflection that Pinside is always hungry for the next new game!

We just like new pinball

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

route data shows that TNA seems to be currently out earning all other games at almost 2x

I don't doubt that at all.

Upon first sight it looks like it would just pull you in and keep you dropping those quarters until you run out.

The other two look like new versions of the same old rehash.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't doubt that at all.
Upon first sight it looks like it would just pull you in and keep you dropping those quarters until you run out.
The other two look like new versions of the same old rehash.

I bet there's something to it not looking as intimidating, too. Star wars is HARD, and if you get that inner loop shot, you will drain SDTM all day long. That's going to be hard to get new players interested. Houdini looks complicated, too. Great for a seasoned player. I bet like the Domino's game and Pabst Crusher, they just look like they are easy to figure out and TNA in particular turns out to be way more cool than an unsuspecting player would imagine.

#48 6 years ago

I haven't played any of the three. Out on the west coast we are years behind everybody else.

But if I saw all three on location, I would run to TNA and try to master it, and probably put a few charity quarters in the other too. That's from somebody that hasn't played them, but I tend to know what I will like.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I haven't played any of the three. Out on the west coast we are years behind everybody else.
But if I saw all three on location, I would run to TNA and try to master it, and probably put a few charity quarters in the other too. That's from somebody that hasn't played them, but I tend to know what I will like.

How far are you from AYCE Gogi in Van Nuys? They have a TNA.

#50 6 years ago

Alien is an absolute hot mess, Houdini was put together by the team that is famous for bad late 90s Sega games so I'd want to wait on that, and TNA is out and getting rave reviews. If I were in the market for one of these three TNA would probably be my choice.

At this point, after the last couple years of craziness, you really need to consider the potential health and reliability of these companies before you make a buy. I can't believe there's anybody who seriously believes Heighway is going to be in business much longer, and AP is a huge question mark. Spooky has proven they have their shit together in the boutique niche, much more so than the other two, and have earned a bit of a benefit of a doubt at this point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-or-houdini?hl=jeewiz13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.