• I don't like either :( 22 votes
    10%

(231 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180106_110559 (resized).jpg
download (2) (resized).jpg
IMG_0789 (resized).jpg

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Plus it has ramps.

I hope this is a joke, I can't tell with text.

Of the three easily TNA, no contest for me.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

How far are you from AYCE Gogi in Van Nuys? They have a TNA.

About three hours on a Friday afternoon.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I hope this is a joke, I can't tell with text.
Of the three easily TNA, no contest for me.

Yes it was guys, geez!! Lol

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yes it was guys, geez!! Lol

Try adding one of these next time.

It's impossible to tell tone with text, and there are people who would seriously type that. I figured it was a joke, but wasn't sure.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Alien is an absolute hot mess, Houdini was put together by the team that is famous for bad late 90s Sega games so I'd want to wait on that, and TNA is out and getting rave reviews. If I were in the market for one of these three TNA would probably be my choice.
At this point, after the last couple years of craziness, you really need to consider the potential health and reliability of these companies before you make a buy. I can't believe there's anybody who seriously believes Heighway is going to be in business much longer, and AP is a huge question mark. Spooky has proven they have their shit together in the boutique niche, much more so than the other two, and have earned a bit of a benefit of a doubt at this point.

Huge points about business model. My hope is that AP’s bringing together things so quickly has allowed them to have a much lower overall cash burn rate than say.. Heighway, who toiled and burned down their cash over 3 long years (and who knows how many loans). Also: the Houdini team is led by Joe Balcer who is also known for designing WOZ, so that’s not nothin’... (yes I am psyched about Houdini)

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Try adding one of these next time.
It's impossible to tell tone with text, and there are people who would seriously type that. I figured it was a joke, but wasn't sure.

Well, I guess it was half and half, truthfully. I was making a joke by piling on. I got nothing against TNA, it looks fun as hell!

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Huge points about business model. My hope is that AP’s bringing together things so quickly has allowed them to have a much lower overall cash burn rate than say.. Heighway, who toiled and burned down their cash over 3 long years (and who knows how many loans). Also: the Houdini team is led by Joe Balcer who is also known for designing WOZ, so that’s not nothin’... (yes I am psyched about Houdini)

Joe Ballsearch! I don't know who came up with that but I thought it was funny.

#58 6 years ago

Soon there will be two TNAs in my neighborhood to play and I really don't care if I ever see either of the others.

#59 6 years ago

Maybe Houdini is winning this poll because it's the newest game out right now, and we all know that people in the pinball community are always loo....SQUIRREL!!!!

#60 6 years ago

TNA is amazing!!! AC should be spectacular. Spooky is the best company you will ever deal with!!!

You will never get an Alien. Been waiting three years and now they don't respond.

#61 6 years ago

You got yours?!

download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpg

#62 6 years ago

not alien - build quality is appaulling...

#63 6 years ago

Houdini was so boring to me that I walked away from it before I finished ball 3 at expo last year. Game looks amazing, but it just wasn't fun. I played at MGC last year for the first time not knowing what to expect, and it was fun trying to explore all the shots, like the flying ball, etc. At expo, I knew what it was and wanted to play since I was considering buying one. SNOOZE FEST!

TNA was the opposite, but I have a thing for 80s Ballys, as well as the new stuff. I can see it not being for everyone, especially in a small collection. I would say if you have 3+ games it's a no-brainer. Dope music, simple/FUN/hard rules, and nothing else like it.

Heighway is a shit show. I still really want Full Throttle, and there are a ton for sale right now, but I don't trust the company being around to support the games. I played an Alien for quite a while this past week, and the game was fun enough, but beat to death, and it obviously can't be too old. Blown out scoop hole, WEAK ASS flippers, poor ball launch, sling/pop bumpers out. Alien fanboys talk about Heighway build quality, but the thing was a piece of shit. Game was right next to a Rollergames and they both felt the same age in terms of how weak and tired they played. I couldn't believe it. And people I respect have talked about the proprietary nature of a lot of the internals to the point where you're SCREWED if (I mean when) Heighway goes under. For $8k or whatever, that game couldn't be cool enough for the risk.

#64 6 years ago

tna is my choice but not played Houdini.

#65 6 years ago

If Alien was built and supported by JJP, Stern or Spooky that would be my choice but Heighway is too much of a Trainwreck to consider buying a game from them right now.

Between the other 2 I have a decent amount of time on production games. Both are great games but for me TNA is the more addictive game and would be the one I'd be most interested in buying. It also helps that it's $1000 cheaper than Houdini too. Houdini is pretty packed and a better value than JJP or Stern LE/Premium games though. In a really small collection I'd probably go with Houdini but in a mid to large size collection I like the variety and fun that TNA brings.

#66 6 years ago

I've played both TNA and Houdini and enjoyed them both. As has been mentioned, very different games and styles and both have drawbacks. I applaud both companies and the designers and hope they both survive the coming storm.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I've played both TNA and Houdini and enjoyed them both. As has been mentioned, very different games and styles and both have drawbacks. I applaud both companies and the designers and hope they both survive the coming storm.

Coming storm?

Is the bubble about to burst?!?!

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is the bubble about to burst?!?!

Yes. I saw a thread about it.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Better start a poll about it just to be sure!

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I must have missed it

#71 6 years ago

Honestly, I would probably choose Houdini.

#72 6 years ago

I'm sure I'll be swayed to the TNA darkside once I try pmaino's!

#73 6 years ago

I own an Alien and it has quickly become my favorite pin, literally. Customer service can be hit or miss right now, but they have always taken care of me, even if slow to respond.

I played Houdini last year and it had tons of problems but it was a prototype. There is no way on earth that will hold up to Alien in game play in my opinion, even with no bugs.

I have a TNA arriving Monday. I love everything about TNA, but Alien will last longer in home environment for most people.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Curious... of the nearly 100 votes, how many have played a production TNA or production Houdini?
Both are VERY different games and good in their own aspects.
I am yet to play a functioning Houdini production game so I cant comment on that one. I look forward to playing one and being able to experience it, but until that time comes, I have a lopsided opinion.

I've heard they have one at Geeks Mania.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

At this point, after the last couple years of craziness, you really need to consider the potential health and reliability of these companies before you make a buy.....

Even years down the road, if companies go under, TNA and Houdini are both using PROC. PROC has proven to be a reliable and robust pinball controller system. Common, readily available, and proven boards. So, long term, keeping these games running should be no problem. I don't think the same can be said for Alien.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

seems odd to have houdini at $1 per play and TNA at .50 per play.
They are similar in cost and both games are brand new. $1 per play should be standard on all new titles

Well..keep ball times in mind...

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Well..keep ball times in mind...

Currentball times on tna are sitting around three min for me. From what i have heard houdini is pretty long ball times. I know mikes had a 20 min game he said.

#78 6 years ago

Houdini has shoutouts to the other two. That made me laugh like a drain.

#79 6 years ago

Would it change your guys opinion on Alien if Heighway was a more established company? Personally, I’m not a huge fan of Alien either.

#80 6 years ago

I played Houdini at Texas last Spring, but it was really a working prototype. Also, I only played it once. I just can’t say until I see and play it more. The theme is okay for me but certainly not one I just love. I have several friends that are planning to buy one. It’s a pretty impressive first game for a company.

Alien is a great License, but I am no go on Heighway for now. For better or worse I’ve seen too many examples of a game not quite ready and a company in disarray. Hard pass, but I wish them the best.

TNA is my first choice. I love the theme, art, music etc. I haven’t played it and my money is safe until then. If I love it at the upcoming 2018 Texas show, it will be on my buy list.

On a side note, the P-ROC system is really impressive. What a great thing for Pinball.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Would it change your guys opinion on Alien if Heighway was a more established company? Personally, I’m not a huge fan of Alien either.

I wouldn't buy Alien regardless. Love the theme but not a fan of what they did with it. Also, I find the look of the Heighway cab design in general to be really, really ugly. I only hope that they stick around long enough to get a game out to everyone that sent them money at this point. I'd be shocked if we see a game #3 from Heighway to be honest. If there is, I'd be even more shocked if anyone pre-orders or gives them any amount of money up front.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

It would certainly help if it was made by an established company with a proven platform and available parts. Heighway tried to reinvent the wheel for some reason. If they would have just used a normal pinball cabinet, a proven operating platform, standard mechs with the exception of game specific toys, stopped the stupid modular system, etc then people wouldn't be so scared of things. I do not think that would have saved Andrew as he was a liar and ran the business poorly so it might not have mattered. The guys that took over would be in a much better position to succeed though and some of the people with down games could fix them on there own rather then waiting months for Heighway to try to figure something out. Both of their games are not bad and could have been successes if it wasn't for so many poor decisions along the way.

#83 6 years ago

Since there is no way you should send money to Heighway right now, TNA all the way.

#85 6 years ago

I've only played a Houdini prototype and it was a looong time ago so all I can say is it looks really cool and seems like it has potential. The reversed flippers thing was pretty cool.

TNA is a friggin blast. I have a bunch of solid state games and it feels like an updated throwback. It has a unique lock and a great soundtrack and you literally want to play it over and over. Winning!

I played an Alien at the last York show and I really enjoyed it. Don't know if it was a prototype or production model. I think it has a ton of potential as well. I love the look of it and the shots are definitely challenging. That said I would only buy one if it was sitting in front of me.

Honestly I think they're all too expensive but that is the state of things these days.

#86 6 years ago

Watched the SDTM Houdini episode. Lots of interesting info on how the game was designed. Looks like super deep code (too deep?). Wonder if you get to the end of the super wizard mode does the machine punch you in the gut when you are not prepared? Seem like it would be a fitting end. (too morbid?)

#87 6 years ago

Just going by the Game: Alien>TNA>Houdini

Going by Company Spooky>American>...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Heighway.

And I say that as an Alien owner. The game is fantastic! The company sucks.

#88 6 years ago

I've played them all and Houdini hands down.

I "get" TNA, but wouldn't want to own one. Alien? Yeah right, if I spend any amount of money I want something that works out of the box.

#89 6 years ago

Theme.......... Alien, Houdini then TNA.

Company.......Spooky, American..........................................Heighway

My choice......Houdini, TNA.................................................Alien

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Currentball times on tna are sitting around three min for me. From what i have heard houdini is pretty long ball times. I know mikes had a 20 min game he said.

20:36 to be exact . Pretty cool that the game keeps track for you. I still only have 4 games on Houdini so I don't really have a good baseline yet....difficulty reminds me of a 90s WPC though or even DI. Magnets can screw with you but I didn't get many cheap drains like some of the Borg Stern games do.

On the contrary I don't find TNA to be that drainy or brutal either as long as you play smart and in control. Don't shoot anything except the Danesi locks unless you are in multiball and shoot them from your backhand whenever possible and you'll do well!

IMG_20180106_110559 (resized).jpgIMG_20180106_110559 (resized).jpg

#91 6 years ago

Finally got to play Houdini today. So I've now played both Houdini and TNA. So different yet both are difficult games. I think Houdini is the clear winner for me due to the depth and value. Houdini is packed. TNA is also a great value. Hoping to own a TNA someday but Houdini will be coming home first.

#92 6 years ago

If Heighway was a more established company, I might chose Alien but for now it’s Houdini just because of the depth.

#93 6 years ago

Wish I could own both

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
Wanted
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
Decals
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 210.00
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-or-houdini/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.