(Topic ID: 224517)

TNA may be stopping at #550.... skyrocket value or not?

By Dantesmark

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How much??”

• Value reaches 9k+ 9 votes
    4%
  • Value reaches 8k 10 votes
    4%
  • Value stays the same 206 votes
    92%

(225 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3ee6d0677455b0c4f0915a88bbfa219c04cddd75.jpeg (resized).jpg
deals (resized).PNG
Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 1.52.51 PM (resized).png
giphy (resized).png
st (resized).jpg

There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

No need to feel bad, they are an extremely successful company. Supplying boardsets to American Pinball, Spooky Pinball, Dutch Pinball, Circus Maximus and countless homebrew makers no doubt helps to keep the money coming in. Plus, they have a responsible and reasonable strategy for growth. Remember, they have already successfully shipped all their pre-orders so any games they sell now are "new" money.

Great to hear that. I'd love for Gerry to succeed.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Alien is one of the best new pins. Smokes TnA right there with DI. The main issues is it's not reliable. If you don't have issues now, you will eventually. If it was reliable it beats even DI to me

My LE has less issues than any other pin I own.

The latest versions are very reliable and the community is amazing for addressing any issues people might have.

I have extra IO boards, LED's etc.....

The idea that "if i don't have issues now I will eventually" doesn't worry me one bit. What pin doesn't? WTF

If Stern or JJP made this pin at this stage people would be blowing their minds right now!

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The latest versions are very reliable and the community is amazing for addressing any issues people might have.
The idea that "if i don't have issues now I will eventually" doesn't worry me one bit. What pin doesn't? WTF

Awesome .... i didn't know you finally received your le..... congratulations

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Awesome .... i didn't know you finally received your le..... congratulations

Got it a while back Big D! Really a great pin, hard to believe all that hard work and accomplishment won't be continued.

Really a shame. I'd love to see some other pin maker pick it up and go.

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If Stern or JJP made this pin at this stage people would be blowing their minds right now!

Aways so defensive.... Not sure why.... I'm just letting you know that almost all users including myself have had issues with the game and they're not of the switch doesn't work type. So your LE works now.... Good for you. I hope you don't have any issues but it just sucks that a game that good is basically on life support. Pinside community is amazing to step up but I made the decision that I rather not chance a 8k toy on a community. I would love to own one again bc it's one of the best. Enjoy it.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Aways so defensive.... Not sure why.... I'm just letting you know that almost all users including myself have had issues with the game and they're not of the switch doesn't work type. So your LE works now.... Good for you. I hope you don't have any issues but it just sucks that a game that good is basically on life support. Pinside community is amazing to step up but I made the decision that I rather not chance a 8k toy on a community. I would love to own one again bc it's one of the best. Enjoy it.

I know Delt, we are in the same boat. Congrats on selling it. Good for you.

Thrilled with my AlienLE

I've had "issues" with just about every pin I've owned. You?

You aren't a long termer and that's ok

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Why can't they all win? Certainly there is a flooding of the market on new pins at the moment, but as long as the businesses are doing their diligence as to supply and demand they can all win. Spooky has the right idea for their model. Sell in batches of 50 until demand goes down. They will invariably be left with little stock and low risk. Why should they care about the secondary market? That will go up and down with the tide.

There's not enough money nor users in the market to support 20 pins in the next 12 months. Probably not even enough to support 10 in 12 months. Economics is why they can't all win. Most aren't running on the Spooky model.

It's a great time to be a pinball fan, but if you're making them...yikes.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's not enough money nor users in the market to support 20 pins in the next 12 months. Probably not even enough to support 10 in 12 months. Economics is why they can't all win. Most aren't running on the Spooky model.
It's a great time to be a pinball fan, but if you're making them...yikes.

I agree with you, but at the same time older game used prices keep climbing and NIB sales remain strong even under ever rising NIB pricing. I keep thinking there’s no way this will continue... and the market continues to shock me

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

I totally get that and normally would agree. At the moment I feel that my TNA will be a permanent fixture for a while.

This is commonly referred to in pinball as "the honeymoon period."

#110 5 years ago

Very insightful. Thank you for your feedback.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

I won’t attempt to speak for everyone, but I personally buy a pinball machine to play the game, not the display. For me, the display is only one small factor in the purchase of a game.

Agreed. I explained my thoughts incorrectly. I substituted LCD for "new game". My intent was, why would I pay near the same money for an older game when a new "just as good or better" game is available at or near the same price. My bad. I totally understand wanting a "classic" or simply fun game. My concern is when a 1990's game costs near the same as something 40 years younger.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Pinballmap only shows six Lexi Lightspeed (their flagship) machines in the whole US on location, so exposure is super-limited in the wild. I am also super-curious how it earns on location. Based on pinball shows where I almost never see anyone sticking with the multimorphic, I don't think it earns well, but some empirical data would be great. I can't imagine that it out-earns JJP machines, but that's the buy-in price range the machines are in, so it would HAVE to or it wouldn't make any sense to put one out.

Thank you. I did view the P3 thread(s) and it seemed like the same 5 posters, so that was my thought. I've never played one, so I can't really judge, but I did watch a little, didn't really get my juices flowing. To be fair though, watching most games played doesn't really excite me all that much. I'm shallow and self centered that way, , , I wan't to play!!!

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well then I had a very long “honeymoon” with Star Trek the Next Generation, Still love it just don’t need it in the house right now .

#112 5 years ago

I thought I had my sights set on a new Star Trek Premium Vault. But I've been giving TNA some serious consideration. Just wish they could do better then spring of 2019 (just emailed them last week on a timeframe for TNA). I'm not that patient. This is why I like Stern, you want it - you buy it and get it. No 8 to 9 months of waiting for games that are in production. I think I would have purchased one if the wait wasn't so long.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I thought I had my sights set on a new Star Trek Premium Vault. But I've been giving TNA some serious consideration. Just wish they could do better then spring of 2019 (just emailed them last week on a timeframe for TNA). I'm not that patient. This is why I like Stern, you want it - you buy it and get it. No 8 to 9 months of waiting for games that are in production. I think I would have purchased one if the wait wasn't so long.

Order TNA, buy your Stern. Play your Stern, sell your Stern, pay for your TNA

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I know Delt, we are in the same boat. Congrats on selling it. Good for you.
Thrilled with my AlienLE
I've had "issues" with just about every pin I've owned. You?
You aren't a long termer and that's ok

yeah many issues with many games - learned a lot along the way....

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Order TNA, buy your Stern. Play your Stern, sell your Stern, pay for your TNA

Been down that road with nib, don't want to lose $$$. I'm only looking to buy keepers now. MET is a lifetime keeper for us, next pin will be too. I'm a small time collector, don't like buying and selling.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Well then I had a very long “honeymoon” with Star Trek the Next Generation, Still love it just don’t need it in the house right now .

Not to say that doesn't happen. I've rebought numerous pins since I limit how many I keep at one time now. It's just that when you first get a brand new pin, you often can't imagine selling it. Eventually most people do.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Very insightful. Thank you for your feedback.

Agreed. I explained my thoughts incorrectly. I substituted LCD for "new game". My intent was, why would I pay near the same money for an older game when a new "just as good or better" game is available at or near the same price. My bad. I totally understand wanting a "classic" or simply fun game. My concern is when a 1990's game costs near the same as something 40 years younger.

Thank you. I did view the P3 thread(s) and it seemed like the same 5 posters, so that was my thought. I've never played one, so I can't really judge, but I did watch a little, didn't really get my juices flowing. To be fair though, watching most games played doesn't really excite me all that much. I'm shallow and self centered that way, , , I wan't to play!!!

Supposedly 3 more just went out to routes recently, so that's 50% more locations for Lexy Lightspeed soon. But even with that bump, 9 machines nationwide on route is nowhere near enough to raise awareness for the platform.

#118 5 years ago

I'm disappointed there is no choice for "10K by X-Mas"

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm disappointed there is no choice for "10K by X-Mas"

Xmas is already here.

rd

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:Why can't they all win? Certainly there is a flooding of the market on new pins at the moment, but as long as the businesses are doing their diligence as to supply and demand they can all win.

Quoted from PinMonk:

There's not enough money nor users in the market ... Economics is why they can't all win.

even after putting the merits of their games aside, they all cannot win, especially those that are leaking customer goodwill like a sieve. by missing self imposed deadlines and failing to deliver/underdelivering on promises and customer expectations, some manufacturers are definitely costing themselves future/repeat business.

#121 5 years ago

my read on this story is that TNA sales are slowing down and so they came up with this idea to wrap up another batch.

Quoted from Whysnow:

In other words, all this means is that you should put in your order now if you want a TNA NIB before they take it off the line.

see!, this guy thinks along the same line, althought not sure if serious... but seems like his take is about buying into the FOMO.

Quoted from rubberducks:

Seems like bullshit to me.

I know, right?

Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I think ACNC is going to be worth more for several reasons.

reality check: people is already losing money trying to sell their reservations. emphasis in TRYING.

Quoted from StylesBitchly:

How would you know this? And who said anything about rarity? It's an awesome game in terms of art, animations and the whole world under class thing and has a unique theme in that it is a dungeon crawl. Nothing else like it in it's class. And Full Throttle? Jetsons? Dominoes? WWE LE? are shit games. WTF are you even comparing it to those for? Go buy your cheap-ass Stern Spike crap you don't even have schematics for!

that's interesting! you mention a lot of qualities for ACNC but "fun" is not among those. I guess you can always put this piece of art in a corner of your house and tell your guests about how artsy and beautiful you find it, and the world under the glass and all that... and then you can play a couple games on it like someone who force others into watching at their baby pictures, and/or just move on to play some other entertaining game. but hey! I didn't played, maybe it's a blast and you just neglected to mention how enjoyable it is. like "so much art! and plus Bowen worked on the code and danced to it on that streaming they deleted because the game crashed too much" or something like that.

you always talk shit about Stern and you always say the same: Spike. like all the Stern games are gonna break right on the chipset but you'll get to get buried with the spooky ones because their hardward is a bit more open. meanwhile is like how entertaining the games are dosn't matter. I have to be honest here, I rather get a game that breaks on me after I play the living hell out of it because is fun... than an open source lights box.

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

my read on this story is that TNA sales are slowing down and so they came up with this idea to wrap up another batch.

see!, this guy thinks along the same line, althought not sure if serious... but seems like his take is about buying into the FOMO.

I know, right?

reality check: people is already losing money trying to sell their reservations. emphasis in TRYING.

that's interesting! you mention a lot of qualities for ACNC but "fun" is not among those. I guess you can always put this piece of art in a corner of your house and tell your guests about how artsy and beautiful you find it, and the world under the glass and all that... and then you can play a couple games on it like someone who force others into watching at their baby pictures, and/or just move on to play some other entertaining game. but hey! I didn't played, maybe it's a blast and you just neglected to mention how enjoyable it is. like "so much art! and plus Bowen worked on the code and danced to it on that streaming they deleted because the game crashed too much" or something like that.
you always talk shit about Stern and you always say the same: Spike. like all the Stern games are gonna break right on the chipset but you'll get to get buried with the spooky ones because their hardward is a bit more open. meanwhile is like how entertaining the games are dosn't matter. I have to be honest here, I rather get a game that breaks on me after I play the living hell out of it because is fun... than an open source lights box.

Whysnow is just doing his paid for advertising for spooky to help ramp up sales.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

don't like buying and selling.

lol. you have sold more pins than most in the time you have been in the hobby.

You definitely like buying and selling It is OK to admit you addiction.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

you mention a lot of qualities for ACNC but "fun" is not among those.

come play the one we have on route. Decide for yourself.

I personally think it is quite fun...

#125 5 years ago

The game just doesn’t thrill me. For a home brew, it’s absolutely amazing, I agree.

TNA seems like a game for people who always 80s pins, but wish they played like 90s pins and don’t mind they’re priced like 2018 pins.

#126 5 years ago

What this likely means is that pinball has finally reached over-saturation levels. Hype isn't enough to sell games when hype is everywhere and Stern is cranking out a new game every 4-6 months.

The good is that I'll finally be able to buy some games again. The bad is that demand is low and that means new game production will slow.

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

What this likely means is that pinball has finally reached over-saturation levels. Hype isn't enough to sell games when hype is everywhere and Stern is cranking out a new game every 4-6 months.
The good is that I'll finally be able to buy some games again. The bad is that demand is low and that means new game production will slow.

You do realize that Spooky thought they’d sell 1/2 (if not more than 1/2) as many TNAs as they’ve sold. This game has blown away expectations. I really don’t think you can qualify a small manufacturers decision to cap as evidence of a slowing market.

They’re probably capping so they can shift full production to alice and get customers games in the 1.5 yrs.

You’ll know the slow down is coming when prices start dropping. As of now, that’s not happening

#128 5 years ago

Hey that was a good run compared to the other small run pins that never really made it over 200 units. I personally thought it was a killer all around.

#129 5 years ago

Reading between the lines a bit - I’m sure the orders have slowed a bit on TNA as no one wants to wait a year. They are way behind on ACNC production and have been dragging their feet waiting on code development. Scott D mentioned working on his game #2 which would be made by Spooky as well. So - they are simply swamped.

TNA values remain strong in the secondary market. If production stopped, there would be a small uptick in value, but it would never skyrocket because of the chance they could remake a batch at any time.

#130 5 years ago

And as for this Alien is half baked and unreliable stuff....again, let’s read between the lines - Delt wants to buy another Alien so he’s dogging the game a bit.

Alien is a superb, fully developed game that is very fun and one of the best themes in pinball. The games that were made late 2017/2018 have been reliable and there is a lot of work to develop aftermarket boards.

If we are taking bets on what game is going to skyrocket - mine is on Alien.

#131 5 years ago

I believe that TNA is being put on hold to fill both lines with ACNC in order to get the full run of 500 completed quickly as possible.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My Gorgar honeymoon had been over 20 years. Sometimes one just clicks and never leaves.

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I believe that TNA is being put on hold to fill both lines with ACNC in order to get the full run of 500 completed quickly as possible.

Also mentioned is keeping his finishing ACNC within the 18 month "promise" period.

This thread's "news" is really conspiracy theory IMHO

#134 5 years ago

Some of you guys have some crazy imaginations.

It's real simple, Spooky is booked way out and has to start moving focus towards completing ACNC. TNA was slower to build then they expected and has sold better than expected. The result is a huge back log. The only way to catch up is to ramp up builds and to stop orders. Spooky also is working on new games and at some point needs to be able to move to the next game. So cap orders for now, get within 3 months of being caught up and open back orders again if the demand is there. If not, move on the next game.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Quoted from jgentry:

It's real simple, Spooky is booked way out and has to start moving focus towards completing ACNC. TNA was slower to build then they expected and has sold better than expected. The result is a huge back log. The only way to catch up is to ramp up builds and to stop orders. Spooky also is working on new games and at some point needs to be able to move to the next game. So cap orders for now, get within 3 months of being caught up and open back orders again if the demand is there. If not, move on the next game.

Seems pretty simple. It’s a small company. Charlie is pretty transparent about this fact.

#136 5 years ago

He even said they will make more eventually, just going to take a break from it. Some real tin foil hats in here.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Right.

And I think future HUO TNA prices will settle in at $5200-$5400 next year. This prediction does not mean I think TNA is super awesome to play or is a turd and yes other cool games will come out within the next year. 10-15% off is just a normal discount "good" pins get out of box. All part of the normal cycle of pins.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

He even said they will make more eventually, just going to take a break from it. Some real tin foil hats in here.

You guys really shouldn’t be on pinside... way too much reasonable analysis going on in your posts!!

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

lol. you have sold more pins than most in the time you have been in the hobby.
You definitely like buying and selling It is OK to admit you addiction.

Actually, the STTNG I handed off to you was the last one that I sold. I think that one was such a heavy beast that I wanted to just give up moving these things around. Looking for keepers now

EDIT: NBAFB was the last one I sold...

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You hit the nail on the head. They told me spring 2019 if I got on the list today. That's a pretty serious backlog, we're talking 6 to 8 months for new orders. They are having a hard time keeping up with TNA orders.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

And as for this Alien is half baked and unreliable stuff....again, let’s read between the lines - Delt wants to buy another Alien so he’s dogging the game a bit.
Alien is a superb, fully developed game that is very fun and one of the best themes in pinball. The games that were made late 2017/2018 have been reliable and there is a lot of work to develop aftermarket boards.
If we are taking bets on what game is going to skyrocket - mine is on Alien.

I agree with you 100%!!! increase in value is due to scarcity and gameplay.
I think alien has potential to be the next Tron LE . For the record I don’t own and didn’t preorder either game.
If TNA’s started reselling like hotcakes for crazy money Charlie would make more because he can. That is As long as he’s not behind schedule on his other projects. I own AMH and RZ ,love both machines and look forward to his future success.
I guess I’m different than most pinsiders as I wait to play a game,buy it if I like it then KEEP it! I know many people here have space and budget issues but in 23 years I’ve amassed a collection that I really enjoy!

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

My Gorgar honeymoon had been over 20 years. Sometimes one just clicks and never leaves.

In Utah, sometimes many click and never leave, law be damned.

#143 5 years ago

We are way behind on ALL orders. My god the speculation crap in here drives me nuts. We literally have more work to do in the next 18 months than we have EVER had. GOOD problem, but still a problem. We will solve it.

We also have to commit huge amounts of money going various directions to prepare for the stock to build all these games. We stated 550 is the number we all (us & suppliers) agreed to invest in for TnA and make regardless if the games are pre sold or not. Beyond that is silly at this point because we want to keep ACNC in the 18 month window we promised as well.

I had the choice to either state the cut off number or keep it quiet. I chose to be honest and state it at the end of the podcast.

I'm out... a few of you can go back to your regularly scheduled program of "destroy what you enjoy"!

HUGE thanks to everyone who supports us.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You do realize that Spooky thought they’d sell 1/2 (if not more than 1/2) as many TNAs as they’ve sold. This game has blown away expectations. I really don’t think you can qualify a small manufacturers decision to cap as evidence of a slowing market.
They’re probably capping so they can shift full production to alice and get customers games in the 1.5 yrs.
You’ll know the slow down is coming when prices start dropping. As of now, that’s not happening

This makes zero sense. You don't stop producing something that is in demand and making you money.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Reading between the lines a bit - I’m sure the orders have slowed a bit on TNA as no one wants to wait a year.

That’s not between the lines, that’s a fact! I’ve done the wait ages for a game thing (WOZ), and it sucks. That’s the exact reason I didn’t order one. So a friend and I were sort of racing to find one from somebody. He won, and has a brand new TNA in his game room. And I’ve stopped looking because I’ll play that one.

TNA was one of the very few new games that had that thirst for me. And my problem is over-saturation. I own too many games I like, and I have to push out a game I like to get a new one now. Who is going to make a game so great that I push Tron, Metallica or Star Trek out the door? That’s a pretty tough ask.

Deadpool looks cool, but again, what would I ditch to bring it in? So if it’s as cool as it looks, that’s way down the road.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We are way behind on ALL orders. My god the speculation crap in here drives me nuts. We literally have more work to do in the next 18 months than we have EVER had. GOOD problem, but still a problem. We will solve it.
We also have to commit huge amounts of money going various directions to prepare for the stock to build all these games. We stated 550 is the number we all (us & suppliers) agreed to invest in for TnA and make regardless if the games are pre sold or not. Beyond that is silly at this point because we want to keep ACNC in the 18 month window we promised as well.
I had the choice to either state the cut off number or keep it quiet. I chose to be honest and state it at the end of the podcast.
I'm out... a few of you can go back to your regularly scheduled program of "destroy what you enjoy"!
HUGE thanks to everyone who supports us.

Shouldn't you be working?

Happy Labor Day!

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Alien is a superb, fully developed game that is very fun and one of the best themes in pinball.

Dogging alien? I'm not a read bw the lines guy. I'm an original production buyer and supporter of the game ever since, I would never dog alien. There is a reason I've left my Avatar as is.... It represents the best new game on the market when working.

As for me wanting to buy another....I would love to! Whether I do or not depends on my risk appetite which seems to change every day on that game. Gut feeling is I prob will again as I'm amazed at the community support.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Dogging alien? I'm not a read bw the lines guy. I'm an original production buyer and supporter of the game ever since, I would never dog alien. There is a reason I've left my Avatar as is.... It represents the best new game on the market when working.
As for me wanting to buy another....I would love to! Whether I do or not depends on my risk appetite which seems to change every day on that game. Gut feeling is I prob will again as I'm amazed at the community support.

Sorry - I attributed the half baked comment to you but it was someone else.

But I disagree on your unreliable comment. The early production games had some Xeno head issues, but the late production games are rock solid. Other than a flipper gap that I had to adjust, Ive had zero issues on mine.

It’s all good - I think you should certainly grab another one if you can. There aren’t many for sale as owners are very happy with the game.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sadly Delt, you got one of the first batch, but definitely not the final production version, hence your problems (I played them both). Very glad I got you into proper Alien Avatar land from the prior, and quite convinced your next go around w one of the last builds will be quite a different experience.

Getting one could be a challenge, of course, and it's truly a shame that the game is this good, but the company sucked so bad.

Happy hunting.....don't trade it if you find one..... ....mark

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

This makes zero sense. You don't stop producing something that is in demand and making you money.

They’re not stopping. Pausing with the potential to restart if they choose

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods
Other
There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-may-be-stopping-at-550-skyrocket-value-or-not/page/3?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.