04E569FE-ACE6-4BA7-AF68-4987B074CF26 (resized).jpeg
8e03f3744f0746a319d4563c6fe73df225021e0f (resized).jpg
9d0d954784a2e772a0dee4f2ca82eae5 (resized).jpg
972F2016-CD56-483C-A068-E3CFD09E8DBC (resized).png
Ramp5 (resized).JPG
Ramp4 (resized).JPG
ramp3 (resized).JPG
Ramp2 (resized).JPG
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

There is no denying Total Nuclear Annihilation is an awesomely themed game built to the highest quality of pinball standards. With an amazing sound system and perhaps the best.... well perhaps the best music since pinball games started playing music.

However, there are a few things holding it back from having that universal appeal with a large portion of the modern pinball playing and buying public. Three of the biggest complaints I have heard-

1. Danesi and Spooky cheaped out by not putting any plastic ramps on it

2. It is too difficult to get to the upper playfield area when not in reactor mode

3. The scoop fires back at the flippers too fast for the average pinball player

An observation of my own is it is too easy to hit the scoop and the center stand-up targets

Since I have not seen anybody else in the pinball community address any of these issues, I took it upon myself to see what I could come up with. I'm not good at making parts, so I fished around and found an old No Fear ramp that was pretty well busted up on the back end, but otherwise looked to be perfect for the job. So I cut it down, grabbed some other useful hardware, and prepared to go to work.

Ramp (resized).JPGRamp (resized).JPG

#3 5 years ago

Just admit you miss your No-Fear

#4 5 years ago

following and also extremely scary that I mentioned this idea just a few weeks ago

O-din, did we just become best friends?

#5 5 years ago

After test fitting the ramp in several locations and seeing what it might be like with two or even three ramps (yeah I have a few extras) I settled on the one No Fear ramp mounted to the post between the scoop and standup target bank.

Ramp2 (resized).JPGRamp2 (resized).JPG
#6 5 years ago

What really tied this altogether is the strategically placed single post mounted under the ramp with three extra fat bingo rubbers on it that not only prevents ball hangups, but deadens the scoop return so the ball dribbles back down at a more manageable speed.

ramp3 (resized).JPGramp3 (resized).JPG
#7 5 years ago

You are nuts!

#8 5 years ago

Funny when I saw the title that's the first place I thought of the ramp going.

We need to get a little more high tech thogh and might be able to put one with a raising flap "above" the drops. Whirwind or W?D pieces needed!

#9 5 years ago

Now I know what the Super Ramps mystery award is for.

#10 5 years ago

Next you need to add Pinstadium lights because it's not bright enough.

#11 5 years ago

The top end of the ramp is now positioned perfectly to drop the ball into the upper area of the playfield to give the game more action there that so many desire.

Ramp4 (resized).JPGRamp4 (resized).JPG
#12 5 years ago

Only one ramp? Cheap

#13 5 years ago

Ramp? I'd put in the "satellite jump" from Goldeneye. That's how you get into the reactor with style.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Only one ramp? Cheap

I tried fitting two or even three, but it wouldn't work. Seems there are lots of shots on the lower end of the playfield and too much clutter would render them unmakeable. Not to mention the ball hangups behind them.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Next you need to add Pinstadium lights because it's not bright enough.

The next step was to add lighting to the ramp, something along the lines of TronLE or an Eli setup, but since I am trying to save money and use what I have, I do have an old string of mini Christmas lights that will probably work perfectly.

Quoted from TheLaw:

We need to get a little more high tech thogh and might be able to put one with a raising flap "above" the drops. Whirwind or W?D pieces needed!

Great idea! I may have to do some drinking and thinking to see if that might work.

Quoted from Whysnow:

O-din, did we just become best friends?

Let's just say I've never been your enemy.

#15 5 years ago

A view of the playfield with the ramp installed from the player's perspective.

Ramp5 (resized).JPGRamp5 (resized).JPG
#16 5 years ago

can you hit the ball lock shot from the left flipper still?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

can you hit the ball lock shot from the left flipper still?

I always use the right flipper on that shot, but it should hop over the ramp flap and make it in cleanly from the left. There were very slim tolerances to install a ramp and still make all the shots..

Best part is now the scoop shot and the standups in the middle have become not so easy, and with the new access to the upper playfield area, there is a sense of balance that may not have been there before.

#18 5 years ago

#19 5 years ago

Anyone have an extra no fear ramp?.......asking for a friend...

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

Anyone have an extra no fear ramp?.......asking for a friend...

I am thinking of making up kits and instructions where you can supply your own ramp or I can source either a used one or include one of the heavy duty new replacements that is readily available thru some of the usual aftermarket vendors, depending on how much interest there is.

If this works out, I may retire from my day job and concentrate fully on making pinball mods for this and many other games.

#21 5 years ago

Goldeneye Satellite ramp is the one and only correct mod answer, as professed above.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Goldeneye Satellite ramp is the one and only correct mod answer, as professed above.

I look forward to seeing it once it's installed in your game.

#23 5 years ago

Mine is on the line at Spooky right now. Can I order this ramp from pinball life and have Spooky install it?

#24 5 years ago

Total Nuclear Annihilo-din!
972F2016-CD56-483C-A068-E3CFD09E8DBC (resized).png972F2016-CD56-483C-A068-E3CFD09E8DBC (resized).png
“All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and a No Fear ramp in my TNA...”

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Yea i was going to suggest something closer to the jack the monkey ramp on pirates.

#26 5 years ago

Clearly the right solution is a drop ramp in front of the scoop. Drop the ramp when the scoop isn't lit for something (mystery/start reactor).

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Clearly the right solution is a drop ramp in front of the scoop. Drop the ramp when the scoop isn't lit for something (mystery/start reactor).

I knew I sold my Whirlwind prematurely.

But then you end up with ball hangups behind the ramp when it is down and once again that scoop shot becomes too easy.

#28 5 years ago

Wow that doesn't even make sense.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Wow that doesn't even make sense.

I could come up with quite a few things in the pinball industry now that make less sense, but I am happy not to be getting moderated today, so I won't get into details.

#30 5 years ago

Honestly, why you being so cheap, get one of the Gomez up/down ramps from stupid deadpool and tie it in with the scoop. That would be impressive.

Oh, and make sure you code it......cheap ass plastic ramp,,,,,seriously!

#31 5 years ago

I’m coming over to play Saturday. Ok?

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Honestly, why you being so cheap, get one of the Gomez up/down ramps from stupid deadpool and tie it in with the scoop. That would be impressive.

Oh, and make sure you code it......cheap ass plastic ramp,,,,,seriously!

Let's just say I grew up in a time when technology wasn't so far advanced, and we learned to make do with what we had.

9d0d954784a2e772a0dee4f2ca82eae5 (resized).jpg9d0d954784a2e772a0dee4f2ca82eae5 (resized).jpg
#33 5 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

I’m coming over to play Saturday. Ok?

Yeah, and bring that purple hot rod with you, I'd like to take it for a spin.

I promise I won't drive it off the cliff up on Skyline.

#34 5 years ago
8e03f3744f0746a319d4563c6fe73df225021e0f (resized).jpg8e03f3744f0746a319d4563c6fe73df225021e0f (resized).jpg
#35 5 years ago

Looks like someone was sitting down going over that jump.

#36 5 years ago

Deal!!! The car is running great!!! Need to drive it hard!! I keep fouling the plugs!! Lol

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I knew I sold my Whirlwind prematurely.
But then you end up with ball hangups behind the ramp when it is down and once again that scoop shot becomes too easy.

Just set it up so that it's directly over the scoop. If it comes at the scoop from the top, it falls in and the force of the kickout just bashes the flap out of the way.

#38 5 years ago

Epic. O-Din is a true innovator/modder

#39 5 years ago

Why stop at one?

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, and bring that purple hot rod with you, I'd like to take it for a spin.
I promise I won't drive it off the cliff up on Skyline.

My post didn’t link. Check it out!!! All done

04E569FE-ACE6-4BA7-AF68-4987B074CF26 (resized).jpeg04E569FE-ACE6-4BA7-AF68-4987B074CF26 (resized).jpeg285C8270-D2FC-421F-AF07-EA8DA0EF639A (resized).jpeg285C8270-D2FC-421F-AF07-EA8DA0EF639A (resized).jpeg
#41 5 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

My post didn’t link. Check it out!!! All done

I think I'll build a bigger ramp and see what she can do.

#42 5 years ago

Brilliant. Loving your “bypass mod” so far.

To appease he masses, any thoughts around a tasteful ramp back to the flippers as well?
Wonder what could work...
CEF05FEB-51AE-4BB9-AC83-17BE29E07665 (resized).jpegCEF05FEB-51AE-4BB9-AC83-17BE29E07665 (resized).jpeg

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

To appease the masses, any thoughta around a ramp back to the flippers as well?
Wonder what might work...

Well, many of the masses seemed to insist this game should have come with ramps in the first place, but I can tell you the way the game is designed and layed out, there really isn't much room for them without disrupting gameplay.

#44 5 years ago

You going to flame polish your ramp?

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

You going to flame polish your ramp?

Yeah, I was so enthused to get this done, that I didn't take the time to polish the ramp and I wanted to make sure it was going to work before I put in any extra effort.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

but I can tell you the way the game is designed and layed out, there really isn't much room for [ramps] without disrupting gameplay

let alone being able to put the pf glass back on.

#47 5 years ago

Hank did it first -- "Congula" ramp mod:

#48 5 years ago

Hank is an inspiration to us all!

#49 5 years ago

I like everything I'm hearing here other than tying to give goldeneye credit for a raising ramp.

#50 5 years ago

who is going to make a fan layout game where every single shot is a ramp damnit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-gets-ramped-up?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.