• I am not interested in fun. 11 votes
    69%

(16 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15iouo (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So, funny story.

Somehow the second driver board blew out (I think because the diodes on the upper left flipper coil separated and took out the driver transistors), so I got a new one and replaced it. Thank heaven it's all standard OTS parts, right?

Anyway, when I got it back together, we twiddled a couple parameters, used it for league night, then put them back at the end. Suddenly everybody was asking what I changed, because the game was a lot easier and more fun all of a sudden.

They noted that the ball gates were much more forgiving and it was easier to get the ball in the upper part. I assumed I just diddled something in the configuration and forgot to put it back, but since people were happy about it, I shrugged and let it go.

Well today it started bugging me so I went and looked... both coils were still soldered on, the driver board's fuse was fine... but on close inspection, I noticed that the pink power connector wasn't actually connected properly. No wonder the gates were more forgiving... they were never being energized!

I put the connector back on correctly and of course the ball gates work again.

Where I'm going with this is that I got a flood of people telling me the game was a lot more fun when the gates weren't functioning. I mean a /lot/ of people. TNA was back on peoples' lists.

Maybe consider adding some kind of mode that makes the gates more forgiving and more frequently open?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

So, funny story.
Somehow the second driver board blew out (I think because the diodes on the upper left flipper coil separated and took out the driver transistors), so I got a new one and replaced it. Thank heaven it's all standard OTS parts, right?
Anyway, when I got it back together, we twiddled a couple parameters, used it for league night, then put them back at the end. Suddenly everybody was asking what I changed, because the game was a lot easier and more fun all of a sudden.
They noted that the ball gates were much more forgiving and it was easier to get the ball in the upper part. I assumed I just diddled something in the configuration and forgot to put it back, but since people were happy about it, I shrugged and let it go.
Well today it started bugging me so I went and looked... both coils were still soldered on, the driver board's fuse was fine... but on close inspection, I noticed that the pink power connector wasn't actually connected properly. No wonder the gates were more forgiving... they were never being energized!
I put the connector back on correctly and of course the ball gates work again.
Where I'm going with this is that I got a flood of people telling me the game was a lot more fun when the gates weren't functioning. I mean a /lot/ of people. TNA was back on peoples' lists.
Maybe consider adding some kind of mode that makes the gates more forgiving and more frequently open?

I don't get it. The default position for the gates is open, which makes it harder to get a ball into the core. Once you've started the reactor and need to get a ball in the core, one of the gates will be closed (from one direction), making it easier to enter the core. Inlane switches also temporarily light the opposite orbit pink (and close a gate).

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I don't get it. The default position for the gates is open, which makes it harder to get a ball into the core.

OK, well the bottom line is that not connecting it properly made the gates misfire… Whether that means they were energized and kept them selves closed or otherwise, a lot of my patrons-- Both hardcore pinheads and regular people alike-- remarked that the game was suddenly a lot more fun.

#4 5 years ago

You should PM Scott about this.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

OK, well the bottom line is that not connecting it properly made the gates misfire… Whether that means they were energized and kept them selves closed or otherwise, a lot of my patrons-- Both hardcore pinheads and regular people alike-- remarked that the game was suddenly a lot more fun.

Change it back or we riot.

15iouo (resized).jpg15iouo (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

maybe post this in the TNA thread - there are two of them already.

#7 5 years ago

Didn't you miss shooting the full orbit. Repeated ripping of the spinner is one of my favorite things to do on TNA. If every orbit shot went into the reactor, I think I would miss that more then the added benefit of increasing the reactor value or bonus x. Beyond that the only benefit would come after reactor 3-4, whichever starts only one orbit feeding the reactor. The only changes I've made that I really-really like are increasing the switch sensitivity both in the reactor and RAD targets. Those two changes make the game easier, but at the same time they feel more fair.

#8 5 years ago

Hey there,
The orbit shots are supposed to go all the way around most times. If I removed the orbit ability, that would not be working as intended and it would make the reactors too easy. Also, it would not allow you to build up combos. You can just set your Reactors on Easy if you want to make the game more approachable.
--Scott

#9 5 years ago

Tell them to play LOTR instead so they can feel good about themselves. Other than that, don't mess with near perfection.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Tell them to play LOTR instead so they can feel good about themselves. Other than that, don't mess with near perfection.

There would be hell to pay from the TNA community if I changed this logic at all.
--Scott

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

There would be hell to pay from the TNA community if I changed this logic at all.
--Scott

The amount of thought and work you put in this game is what makes it so good. I like tough games. Remember me asking you about using stand ups in reactor as targets to beat reactor?

#12 5 years ago

--Scott

Would it be possible to add another selectable game mode, besides the normal version and the co-op version, that is just way easier for beginners to enjoy? (Lower replay percentaging and such for operators so people don't play all night on a single credit). Stuff like making it into the core easier, a minimum game time, etc

I have no idea the amount of work that would be and how worth it would be, but I'm sure there's a market for making games enjoyable for people new to pinball and those seeking a traditional challenge.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

The amount of thought and work you put in this game is what makes it so good. I like tough games. Remember me asking you about using stand ups in reactor as targets to beat reactor?

Oh god no! It's hard enough as is! Call it Bowen difficulty

#14 5 years ago

Without the frustration factor, TNA wouldn't be TNA.
Wish there were more moderns similar to this and iron man, it's why I'm venturing into 70's-80's territory.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Would it be possible to add another selectable game mode, besides the normal version and the co-op version, that is just way easier for beginners to enjoy?

I think Scott already thought that through with:

You can just set your Reactors on Easy if you want to make the game more approachable.

Beyond the notion that you can't program a game to make everyone happy, and it's foolish to try, I think you kill some of the integrity of the game if you dumb it down too much. IMO TNA is already a good beginner game, because it's easy to understand. Learning how to play it should be a challenge still though.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think Scott already thought that through with:

Beyond the notion that you can't program a game to make everyone happy, and it's foolish to try, I think you kill some of the integrity of the game if you dumb it down too much. IMO TNA is already a good beginner game, because it's easy to understand. Learning how to play it should be a challenge still though.

Well it's more about location play. If someone who is bad at pinball wants to play, they don't get to choose to play on easy settings. If someone is really good they can't choose to play the challenging mode.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Well it's more about location play. If someone who is bad at pinball wants to play, they don't get to choose to play on easy settings. If someone is really good they can't choose to play the challenging mode.

I think that's a fair enough point, but I can't think of any other pinball that offers users that choice aside from maybe Who Dunnit?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think that's a fair enough point, but I can't think of any other pinball that offers users that choice aside from maybe Who Dunnit?

I'm not saying it's a must, just a different idea that hasn't been explored very much in pinball. I love how TNA offers Co-Op mode to promote playing together. I think the idea can be further expanded. More games should try to offer multiple ways to play for people of various skill levels on location, and not only at home with the coin door open.

I dig Judge Dredd offering a Super Game where it's basically free multiballs. It seemed like Magic Girl was exploring the idea of having different game modes based around home, location, and various difficulty levels that could be selected when starting the game. Have easier settings, adjust the frequency and tips of callouts, etc...

edit: also I'm reminded of tournament mode that some Stern games used to feature for the competitive crowd. Seemed like an idea worth keeping around, especially when manufacturers have to balance the wants and needs of the advanced players and attracted new players who may be put off by the learning curve.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

My bad. I see what you're saying now. They are one way gates, so maybe they were always down, causing the ball to always drop into the core from the orbits, making it easier.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

My bad. I see what you're saying now. They are one way gates, so maybe they were always down, causing the ball to always drop into the core from the orbits, making it easier.

Exactly. I don't play it a lot, but I knew something was different and assumed it was a code update. It was much easier to destroy reactors as well as spell core. Now I know how I wound up grand champion last weekend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tna-easy-mode?hl=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.