Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I picked up this TMNT a while back and I am struggling with it. It has a new Rottendog board. I added new ROMs to the board and a new Rottendog power board. I turn the game on and the machine does the DMD check and then goes through a bunch of the adjustments and then starts again. I noticed that the DMD was from a star trek and that it had the star trek ROM in it. I am assuming these are not the same DMD because I have a display ROM for TMNT and it is not the same size. Is this what is causing my machine to act like this?

#2 8 years ago

It is the same DMD in both machines. Sounds like you need to replace the display ROM on the DMD since you noticed it came up as Star Trek.

See if you have TMNT 1.04 CPU ROM when it powers up. If not, the CPU and display ROMs are sold as a pair here. http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/de.html Though you can email him and see if he will sell just the display ROM.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I have a display ROM for TMNT and it is not the same size. Is this what is causing my machine to act like this?

I missed this part. Can you post a picture of the DMD and the TMNT ROM together?

#4 8 years ago

What is the state of your original power supply and CPU boards?
If there is no board damage, I would have them sent off and repaired so you can have spare boards to get the machine up and running quickly if was to go down again.

#5 8 years ago

Sure no problem.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#6 8 years ago

It came with the rottendog mpu board. I picked up the power board. I believe the high voltage is out but I will probably go through and fix it

#7 8 years ago

The TMNT ROM seems to have less legs than Star Trek. Yes it will work, but I can't recall if it fits toward the top or bottom part of the IC socket.

#8 8 years ago

So you would have some unused pins in the socket when you install the TMNT display ROM.

#9 8 years ago

Will it hurt it to try in either spot?

#10 8 years ago

Yes, it could fry it if installed wrong.

#11 8 years ago

Hmm. Well then. I guess I need to figure out which side to start from then. Thanks for the help so far this game is about to kill me.

#12 8 years ago

Where did you get the TMNT ROM from ?

#13 8 years ago

How many pins on it?

#14 8 years ago

I think it would be mounted toward the bottom part of the socket so the top pins on each side are not used.

#15 8 years ago

there are 14 pins on each side I got the ROM from John Wart. I have sent him an email to see what he says.

#16 8 years ago

there are 14 pins on each side I got the ROM from John Wart. I have sent him an email to see what he says.

Perfect. I was hoping you got it from him.
I could not find a picture anywhere on the internet of a smaller ROM being installed, including on Pinwiki. I'm sure it would be added soon.

#17 8 years ago

Post a picture of the ROM installed once you see it working. Thank you.

#18 8 years ago

I will for sure.

#19 8 years ago

The ROM works in the lowest position

image.jpgimage.jpg

However the game still doesn't work. It shows the DMD rom info and then goes through all the adjustment list making a tone as it automatically moves through the list. Then it starts over.

#20 8 years ago

Try reseating the ribbon cable again on both ends of the cable.

#21 8 years ago

I just tried it with a brand new connector that I had purchased for another project but did not use. It continued to do the same thing

#22 8 years ago

Do you have pin 1 (red wire) of the ribbon cable on both ends facing to the right looking at the CPU and the DMD?

#23 8 years ago

If I look at the CPU it is on the right. If I look at the backside of the DMD board it is left but if I look at the front of the DMD it is on the right

#24 8 years ago

If they both sides of the ribbon cable are facing to the left, that is ok as it will just match up pin 1 from CPU to pin 1 of the DMD.

#25 8 years ago

Swap the cable around on the DMD to see if it helps.

#26 8 years ago

I swapped the cable and the DMD would not come on.

#27 8 years ago

Ok and then the other way should be correct, as it seems

#28 8 years ago

Can you measure your 5 volts and 12 volts on your power supply?

#29 8 years ago

Did you also install a CPU game ROM from John?

#30 8 years ago

I just shot a video. Let me load it into youtube and I will link it

#32 8 years ago

I installed the game ROMs as well. I sent the MPU back to Jim at Rottendog to check as well.

#33 8 years ago

You do have the 'B' ROM in the top socket and 'C' ROM in the bottom socket on the CPU?

#34 8 years ago

Are you sure your service switch just isnt stuck? Only reason I see that it would kick right into menus and cycle through them all...

#35 8 years ago

I thought that too. There are only two switches on the service switch. It looks like someone had rigged up a credit button as well.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#36 8 years ago

Can you unplug the coin door connector just inside the door to the left and see what happens?

#37 8 years ago

I just tried it with the coin door unplugged and it was the same

#38 8 years ago

The black button would be the one that is stuck. Just unplug coindoor and see what happens.

#39 8 years ago

Can you unhook CN10 on the CPU and see what it does?
Then if same, plug CN10 back in and unplug CN8 on the CPU.

CN8 switch column drives
CN10 switch row drives

#40 8 years ago

I just tried it with CN10 and again with CN8 unhooked. Still doing the same thing.

#41 8 years ago

Can you verify the location of the game ROM's are correct?
'B' ROM in the top socket and 'C' ROM in the bottom socket on the CPU?

Also make sure all the pins are in the sockets. Sometimes a pin gets bent back toward the ROM.
May have to remove each ROM to verify this.

#42 8 years ago

I just double checked. They are both fully seated in the correct location. Possible that the ROMs are bad?

#43 8 years ago

Someone had a similar issue posted on Pinside not really long ago. Can't seem to locate that thread.

#44 8 years ago

I just double checked. They are both fully seated in the correct location. Possible that the ROMs are bad?

I hope not. Did you mention to John what the game was doing?

Do you have an older set of game ROMs? Doesn't matter what game.

#45 8 years ago

I looked through a ton of threads to try and find something about it.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I hope not. Did you mention to John what the game was doing?
Do you have an older set of game ROMs? Doesn't matter what game.

I would not think so either. I did mention it in the email what the game was doing.

#47 8 years ago

I have an older set of game ROMs I can try in it. I will try those real fast and see what happens.

#48 8 years ago

And you had the Rottendog tested out by them for this issue?

#49 8 years ago

Seems if the game ROM was a problem, it would not boot as in no display and the PIA LED on the CPU would be lit up.

#50 8 years ago

I just reinstalled the original ROMs. It is no different. I suppose that would rule out a bad ROM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 27.95
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 27.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-will-not-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.