56.mp4_snapshot_00.00.855 (resized).jpg
55.mp4_snapshot_00.01.371 (resized).jpg
46.mp4_snapshot_00.01.779 (resized).jpg
45.mp4_snapshot_00.01.604 (resized).jpg
44.mp4_snapshot_00.01.889 (resized).jpg
43.mp4_snapshot_00.10.470 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231119_041130796 (resized).jpg
PB2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider napoleon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 3 years ago

They work done here by Dave and Delt is simply amazing!

The 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio is always an issue to overcome. It appears the video has been stretched a bit to fit (sometimes the Turtles look "fat" for lack of a better word). I wonder, would cropping the top and bottom a bit been the lesser of two evils?

Just curious....it in no ways distracts from the impressive work that's been done here!!

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

That's an interesting note. The DVDs from which these clips are taken has them in 16:9, I actually did not change the aspect ratio when converting. I had wondered about that too myself. I didn't think anything was not in 4:3 in the '80s and '90s. Maybe just has to do with how they publish them on the DVDs?

Yeah, sometimes they stretched old 4:3 shows automatically on the DVD, other times they left them in 4:3 and people could stretch them with a TV setting if they desired.

I just checked on season 1 that I bought on iTunes a few weeks ago, and it's in 4:3. The size and proportions of the Turtles definitely look normal. I wonder if there was a 4:3 version of the DVD, or some other source we could get you? Of course, manually cropping each scene would be very time consuming, so maybe that's not an undertaking you want to do!

All in all, you've done great work! Everyone seems very happy!

#33 3 years ago

The only other thing I can think of is to leave the 4:3 like it is (assuming we can find a good source) and frame the side "black bars" with a graphic that resembles a late 80's TV set. This is how Batman '66 used the 4:3 video effectively.

#43 3 years ago

On my Mac, I generally use Etcher. Despite warnings from some on Pinside, I've never had an issue with Etcher until Dave's image file! For that, I had to go back into my Windows VM and flash it using Pinball Browser itself, which I had never had use before for that purpose. That worked!

The internal SD card slot on Macs is not on the USB bus, so you can't move cards plugged into the slot into VMs. You can get inexpensive USB card readers of all varieties, and they work fine, even the super cheap ones.

Long story shot, if you're a Mac users like me, try Etcher out first. If that doesn't work, you'll need a VM running Windows and a SD card reader to flash with Pinball Browser.

Etcher works perfectly fine to flash Stern's stock SD card image downloads. The problem seems to be with some image files after being modified by Pinball Browser. Etcher is updated all the time, so hopefully whatever bugs related to Pinball Browser generated images that have popped up lately get fixed.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

MAC users = these code updates seem to be a big pain. Issues on the JP code too. For PC, only use win32img to flash. SOrry don't have more info for MAC users.

Macintosh is abbreviated Mac, not MAC. MAC is short for "Media Access Control", or MAC Address, which is the unique hardware identification number on a network device.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

#56 3 years ago

Dave, will you and Delt be working together from now on, or maintaining separate builds?

#67 3 years ago

Dave, what app did you use to rip the video from the DVD?

MPEG-2 (used by DVDs) is not the greatest codec, and of course we never got a Blu-Ray of the show....but some DVD ripping software like Handbrake (free) really let you jack up the quality of the initial conversion at the expense of size and speed. Pinball Browser through FFMPEG will convert it again of course to work right with Stern's system, but that master file ripped from the DVD should be the best possible quality. I don't think you'd need the cleaner software then, as that's really just smoothing stuff out after the fact.

Curious what you used.

#72 3 years ago

The cleaning software won't bring back the lost resolution, just smooth out the low res artifacts. Kinda like one step up from polishing a turd, unfortunately.

I don't, in any way, mean that as a negative to the great work you've done! Just lamenting is all........

#78 3 years ago

Do you remember what seasons you pulled from? Season 1 is heavy for sure, but what else?

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from Wallofnoise:

The Vanilla Ice song is either too loud or has too much low frequency. The bass sounds as though it’s clipping.

I had that issue when I added it to code right after I got the game. There's no perfect setting....seems too low, or you get clipping.

I think I used 300% volume on the Ninja Rap audio. It was the lesser of all evils.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I honestly couldn't find any good enough clips for cowabunga. If you get there, you get to pick what gets put in (aka I'm tired of looking through for the right clip lol).

For Cowabunga, just use footage from the early 90's movies! Surprise!

1 week later
#129 3 years ago

Yeah, the teeth look odd! LOL! The 3D animation is going to be fine, but if you want to crack the compression problem, have you talked to oga83? He might have some suggestions, or could work on a fix. He's been great to work one on one with customers. I worked with him in the past on issues.

#131 3 years ago

Perhaps high res pics from the 2007 movie?

Well, then you might as well use Stern's. Never mind.

#139 3 years ago

I'll be patient. Oga83 will get it fixed eventually.

I have the original visuals on another SD card, so I just updated that one to 1.22.

Kinda fun to be able to go back and forth....keeps it fresh. New code is great, love the added shaker effects.

3 weeks later
#160 3 years ago

Hey Dave, you're taking all this down time to re-rip the footage at a better quality level, right?

1 week later
#192 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Guys bitching about video quality need to remember the source and when the cartoons came out they were meant for and shown on 480i TVs. Laserdisc upped the resolution over vhs before DVD’s came out but the cartoons were not put on laserdisc unfortunately to get better image quality when they put them to dvd.

Having a movie or show on Laserdisc has nothing to do with the DVD release. They didn't transfer the Turtles from VHS to DVD because there wasn't a Laserdisc release.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I never said there was a laserdisc release. If there was a laser disc release the image quality would have been better at 480p vs 480i and not pulled from vhs copies and transferred to dvd like it was.
The vhs copy was inferior in quality from the source material and transferring it from vhs to dvd only made the poorer quality stand out more.If there WAS a laserdisc release the image quality would have been better since it would have been a digital transfer instead of filming the episodes being played and recorded from the vhs copy and then transferred to dvd. Try to keep up skippy it’s not that difficult.

I didn't say you said there was a Laserdisc release. Better go back and re-read what I posted. I specially refuted your idea the the DVD was transferred from VHS, which is patently absurd. You obviously know nothing about how home media works. They make a master video copy of the film, and that is usually higher quality or resolution that the consumer media products of the time. The DVD of Turtles would have been made from a master. The publisher probably re-used the original master from years earlier instead of going through the expense to update it (which explains why the DVD wasn't as good as it could have been) but it was NOT made from VHS tapes! If there had been a Laserdisc release, it would have been from this same master.

Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,500 (OBO)
$ 22.00
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider napoleon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-stern-the-1987-code?tu=napoleon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.