56.mp4_snapshot_00.00.855 (resized).jpg
55.mp4_snapshot_00.01.371 (resized).jpg
46.mp4_snapshot_00.01.779 (resized).jpg
45.mp4_snapshot_00.01.604 (resized).jpg
44.mp4_snapshot_00.01.889 (resized).jpg
43.mp4_snapshot_00.10.470 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231119_041130796 (resized).jpg
PB2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveyvandy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

What
A complete assets replacement of Stern's TMNT using assets from the 1987 animated series.

Why
I have absolutely no problems with the video assets that Stern put in TMNT. In fact, I think they did an outstanding job. However, there's just no replacing the old school coolness of the original series. Now that my 4-year-old daughter is watching every episode with me to relive the magic, I really wanted to see her face when the pinball machine showed the 1987 series on it. Plus, I think it will make a lot of pinball enthusiasts out there happy.

Updates
* Using 1.57 code now with fixed images

Current version (1.57)
* Pro: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UC84jKz8EsGCOiihFslbWPYYipwo7iFl/view?usp=drive_link
* Premium / LE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UB48HgUUGMtXWKTO_pmp4-yyRX-UL_QY/view?usp=drive_link

Previous version (1.56)
* Pro: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TzvAaTRflZpe5h-gh1Ke_g_oi4r41hh0/view?usp=drive_link
* Premium / LE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TuXNXQbPBnlwUGZIhM4xXdr3EZShlqmF/view?usp=drive_link

What you need
* 16gb class 10 SD card (note that the original SD card is 8gb and you should keep it safe anyway)
** This is the one I use (SanDisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 SDHC UHS-I Memory Card up to 80MB/s (SDSDUNC-016G-GN6IN) https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-Class-UHS-I-Memory-SDSDUNC-016G-GN6IN/dp/B0143RTB1E/ref=sr_1_1
* SD card reader/writer
** This is the one I use (Anker 2-in-1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card and UHS-I Cards)
https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Reader-RS-MMC-Micro/dp/B006T9B6R2/ref=sr_1_3
* Pinball Browser (un-licensed version works fine).

How to install
First after downloading from the link, extract the file if necessary (.zip extraction).
Then follow the instructions here:

Do not use Balena Etcher to write to the SD card! I have had a high failure rate using this program! You will know if it fails if you have any in-game restarts while playing (or more likely when booting). Use Pinball Browser to write to the SD card. Follow the instructions on my YouTube video linked above.

Validation errors
If you have any validation errors, swap to the official Stern code and play a game or two - this should clear the errors out.

FAQ
* Can I switch between this SD card and my original Stern SD card if they have different versions? Yes, you might see a node-board update when you go between different versions, but it will work fine.
* If I want to save all of my settings and high scores on my card before re-flashing it, can I do that? Yes, refer to USB drive backup instructions from Stern (in the pinball menu UTIL-> Save / Load)
* Should I use this with Insider Connect? Works on my machine. That being said, there are validation checks within the software. I don't know what Stern would do with that information, but you can always swap to your Stern SD card to use online if you're worried.

Donations?
No, but I'll take your upvotes.

Limitations / Omissions
* The pizza eating contest animation as you’re smashing the button I left as is.
* The ‘match’ videos remained as is (I turn ’match’ off anyway).
* I did not do the 3 videos (intro, loop and end) for Cowabunga. If you get there, let me know and I will use clips of your choosing!
* Sometimes, there are no real episodes that correspond to the episodes on the pinball machine, so I had to be creative. For example: Slash fighting the turtles in Dimension X.

What it looks like

IMG_20200903_081138 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081138 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081151 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081151 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081218 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081218 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081234 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081234 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081311 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081311 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081348 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081348 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081354 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081354 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081518 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081518 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081610 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081610 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081658 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081658 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081659 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081659 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081739 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081739 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081749 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081749 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081851 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081851 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081952 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081952 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_082053 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_082053 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_082226 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_082226 (resized).jpg

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

Would love to see a collaboration of the these two editions. Excellent work by both Delt and Dave, just need to merge the two for the perfect mix.

PM Dellt for a combo

#23 3 years ago

Premium / LE code is confirmed to work! Thank you djsoup !

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

They work done here by Dave and Delt is simply amazing!
The 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio is always an issue to overcome. It appears the video has been stretched a bit to fit (sometimes the Turtles look "fat" for lack of a better word). I wonder, would cropping the top and bottom a bit been the lesser of two evils?
Just curious....it in no ways distracts from the impressive work that's been done here!!

That's an interesting note. The DVDs from which these clips are taken has them in 16:9, I actually did not change the aspect ratio when converting. I had wondered about that too myself. I didn't think anything was not in 4:3 in the '80s and '90s. Maybe just has to do with how they publish them on the DVDs?

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

No it doesn’t but the request for Prem/LE is overwhelming! F it, I’ll update the Prem/LE too. I’ll post when it’s done.

Lol, thanks delt31

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

I can’t seem to get this to work on my Mac anyone know if it’s posible

What program are you using, DD Utility?

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

I just did it on my Mac, Balena Etcher first go no problem. ‍♂️
And WOW! Guys this is just unbelievable! Such and amazing job! Music and graphics, takes this game to another level.
The only one thing that my OCD can’t let go, is the photos of the turtles when choosing one at the begging, they are not coming up on the same line! Lol!
Love every time I start a new ball how it says Cowabunga!

Your OCD? That drove me absolutely bonkers! I'm hoping in the next release to fix it or make a different animation for the character selection. What's interesting about the character selection is that it's actually not a video, it's just 42 individual images one after the other in a loop. So that presents challenges of making a ~1.5s loop.

The other thing that drives me crazy is when you collect the first reward for training, The text shadow is all messed up. It's actually like that on the original software, but they have a black video background that masks the problem. I tried to get rid of that but I could not.

All things to work on for the next release, which will probably come a little after when Stern releases their next software update.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I’ll be streaming this soon. Maybe this weekend or next Wednesday night from 10-12pm EST. Give me a follow and you’ll be notified otherwise I’ll post the link to the video afterwards. Justanotherpinballstream on twitch.

Nice! I just lost one of your previous streams of TMNT. Yes the left ramp is brutal, especially when you want to start team up or final battle lol. I'll try and pop into the stream to say hello

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

I really love this mod, sadly some of the videos are not as great as they could due to compression artifact.
Would it be possible to give a try of : http://videocleaner.com/download.html
It's a freeware that gives nice results.
daveyvandy : I'd be happy to help you on that goal

Thanks for the feedback. I just looked into video cleaner and I could not figure out how to use it. Ideally, I could just set a batch script to clean all the videos in a folder. If you like, I can send you a zip of all the videos and you can process them however you like and I can put it back in the firmware for everyone's consumption. PM me if you're interested!

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Dave, will you and Delt be working together from now on, or maintaining separate builds?

I'm keeping the builds separate for people who want just the video mod without any changes to music. However, I believe delt31 will keep up with any updates. I'm going to try to limit the updates here to be just when stern releases new code, otherwise version control gets a little hairy.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from CypherPinball:

New pinball table owner here. TMNT is my first NIB. I'm new to all of this. What's been done here to put in the 1987 clips is totally awesome, Kudos!! When using pinball browser, how do you revert back to the original code if you'd like? Is it as simple as swapping out the SD cards to flip between stock and 1987? I want to check this out, but the wife really actually likes the stern original code. And she wouldn't want it to be permanent. She wants to make sure we can flip back and forth if we want. What is involved in going between stock and not?

It is as simple as putting the old SD card back in. Do it when the machine is off of course or risk problems. I keep my old one in the coin box. Also note that your settings and adjustments and high scores live on the SD card as well. So when you put in the new one, you'll have to put it on free play for example.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

This is cool! Sorry as I may have missed it but i thought Pinball Browser didn't work on newer code/firmware since Stern locked down /encrypted Firmware - was there an exception for TMNT??

That's what I thought too, but here we are
I think the author of pinball browser either made some updates, or it worked all along. I know that people are working on edits for Jurassic Park right now too.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Dave, what app did you use to rip the video from the DVD?
MPEG-2 (used by DVDs) is not the greatest codec, and of course we never got a Blu-Ray of the show....but some DVD ripping software like Handbrake (free) really let you jack up the quality of the initial conversion at the expense of size and speed. Pinball Browser through FFMPEG will convert it again of course to work right with Stern's system, but that master file ripped from the DVD should be the best possible quality. I don't think you'd need the cleaner software then, as that's really just smoothing stuff out after the fact.
Curious what you used.

It's been awhile since I got the files from a DVD so I don't really remember. The quality of the originals is perfectly fine, but I had to reduce the quality in order to put them onto the image. I had problems with putting in larger file sizes than the original videos, so I had to down sample the edits a little bit. This was my first time working with pinball browser so I tried lots of things until I found a working workflow. In general, having the file size of the edits smaller than the original videos worked well so I tried doing this. Retrospectively, it doesn't look like that is entirely necessary in most cases. However, once you find a working workflow, you best stick to it!

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

ok, so size does matter in this case.. you had to downsize, which led to artefacts..
Did you keep the ripped file before downsizing ?
Cleaning software may work but that may also expand the final size

No, I think size only mattered with the early workflow I was doing. Originally, I was importing without conversion. But then I found out from talking to oga83 that I should be importing instead. By that point, it was too late since I already had all of the files in the smaller size. I still think your efforts to clean them with the cleaning software will be helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have the clips in original definition, all the edits were basically made on the fly.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

The cleaning software won't bring back the lost resolution, just smooth out the low res artifacts. Kinda like one step up from polishing a turd, unfortunately.
I don't, in any way, mean that as a negative to the great work you've done! Just lamenting is all........

Haha so true! Video editing definitely has a lot of moving parts that I didn't realize. I had never done it before, but now I can see plenty of room for improvement. The first thing, is to save clips as close to original as possible (frame rate, bit rate, resolution, etc). In the future, I would just write a batch script that would take care of down sampling (if necessary) for use on the image. Live and learn

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

OK, so I made attempts and the gain is really not good.
I can smooth the artefacts but sharpening the edges is complicated. I get a blurry effect at the end that is not eye friendly.
The easiest would be to recapture from the initial dvds, if their quality is better.
Did you by any chance keep the episode ref and timestamps??

I do not have the episode references and timestamps unfortunately. I did all this on the fly and did not save as I went along. In the future, I would save all the clips in original format, then down sample as a batch if needed to put on the image.

Here's how my process works:
* Get episode from DVD (this was done in 16:9), converting to a useful high res format
* Look at the original video from Stern in pinball browser
* Find a suitable clip that could be placed in
* use OpenShot to create the clip (noting frame count, original resolution, etc of the original), and downsampling
* Save the clip
* Upload to the firmware
* Do the next clip

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Do you remember what seasons you pulled from? Season 1 is heavy for sure, but what else?

It's pretty 1-3 heavy. Anything after that was specifically to grab clips of characters not featured a lot, like Casey Jones and Slash. In fact, most of the clips are from the first season which is just around 5 episodes.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I just finished streaming this and really loved it. Chat seemed to love it as well. Here is the link to my Twitch VOD.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/738601847
and here is the link to the Youtube video wants it is processed

Thanks for making this!

Thanks for streaming, I'm watching the VOD and it looks like you guys had a good time!

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from SpidermanDan:

Thanks Delt I’m LE as wel and agree with wall of noise. Overall it is so amazing!!! Did you guys code anything for cowabunga? Never got to that mode yet so just checking. Thanks

I honestly couldn't find any good enough clips for cowabunga. If you get there, you get to pick what gets put in (aka I'm tired of looking through for the right clip lol).

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

You said your start button isn’t flashing, did you try to credit up the game? You may have to go into the options and set it to free play.

Yeah, this seems like exactly it. Open your coin door, press the button on the coin door to the far right (select) twice, go into adjustments (press volume + twice then select), then go to standard adjustments, then go to standard adjustment number 40 and turn free play on. Let us know if that works.

#98 3 years ago

ok, i think I might really be messing up this new sd card. I didn't format, and used win32 to write the image to the sd card again. Put it back in machine. Still start button isn't working. Thinking I need to format the card and start over. But, I don't want to format in fat32 since that can only have files up to 4gb. And there are 5 drives associated (D-H) with this sd card now after using pinball browser. How should I go about starting over. And doing this correctly? And so it works?
[quoted image]

If your put your flashed SD card into the pinball machine and it boots up to see the starting animation, then there is no problem with your flash most likely. If there is a problem with the flash, the game will usually reboot itself over and over again before you get to the starting animation. I think evileye is right on the money with just changing it back to free play. See my instructions on the previous post.

#100 3 years ago

Lol, I am an idiot. It just needed to be put in free play. Thanks for all of your help.

Lol no problem. I once only had one pinball machine too. By this time next year, you'll know it inside out and have five more next to it

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Loaded on my LE tonight. Really loving what you guys are doing here! Only negative first impression was the character select images. Just looked low rez and not the best images to showcase the turtle select.

Agreed! Working on that for the next release. Thanks for the feedback.

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

Trying to install using pinball browser, had to use a 32gb card. Says it cannot open the file. anyone else had this issue? does it have to be a 16gb?

Are you using the .raw file from my link, or the one from @delt31?
A 32gb SD care should work.
If you are flashing via pinball browser, you shouldn't have to open the firmware. In fact, opening it will not work if you want to write it. Check out my instruction video the first post for details. you basically just need to copy the absolute path of the file into the right to SD card prompt in the the smart DMD tab.

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

I am using your link off the first page and was using your video. I re-downloaded and it is writing to the drive now. Thanks for the quick response

Awesome, let me know if you have any critiques

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Omg. This is 100% accurate.. not even a year later and I got 5.

Ha! Yeah I got my dad into pinball in April last year. I lost track of how many he brought home after the twelfth. I bought my first in October last year and I'm slowly catching up to him with my 6th coming in the next few months. I no longer have a dining room and need to get a bigger house now

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from JediMcMuffin:

dontpanicflip (george) and I dueled TMNT last night, with me running the 1987 code! i literally imaged my SD card and restored my settings and went straight to playing but with the music attenuated, later on i bring that back up and play with DJ mixer
check it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/741530917?t=01h41m35s

Nice format for the battle! I need to get streaming equipment at some point. My crotch-cam setup on the first post is embarrassing compared to your setup lol.

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I have the 1987 code going and loving it. Would like to get the combined code now! Wanting to spotlight this in an upcoming video too. I would require the PRO version please. Thanks.

Nice, looking forward to the spotlight . PM delt31 for the combined pro version.

#123 3 years ago

Working on the character selection screen. Unfortunately the way that Pinball browser works, the images when they get imported get artifacts. The hard part right now is trying to get the images looking as good as possible. I've been working on trying to get them looking as good as possible. Note that Donatello and Michelangelo look especially crusty on their borders.

Do you guys think this is the right direction?

PXL_20200920_125231889 (resized).jpgPXL_20200920_125231889 (resized).jpgPXL_20200920_125228903 (resized).jpgPXL_20200920_125228903 (resized).jpgPXL_20200920_125223500 (resized).jpgPXL_20200920_125223500 (resized).jpgPXL_20200920_125227385 (resized).jpgPXL_20200920_125227385 (resized).jpg
#126 3 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

99% of your mod is fantastic but in this case I would just leave the 3D models. The lossy compression is brutal.

Yeah you're probably right, I'll probably just put back the 3D models in on the next release. Less work for me lol!

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Love what your trying here, is there no way to drop in hi-res versions of yeti’s art in the character selection? The image of Michelangelo especially looks out of place, maybe it’s those teeth
Amazing work though, like someone said above it’s 99% perfect.

Quoted from Napoleon:

Yeah, the teeth look odd! LOL! The 3D animation is going to be fine, but if you want to crack the compression problem, have you talked to oga83? He might have some suggestions, or could work on a fix. He's been great to work one on one with customers. I worked with him in the past on issues.

Yeah these images are taken from the character champion screens. I had to rotate Michelangelo, but there's not much I can do about those teeth lol. I also had to splice them out of their backgrounds so that they would look decent on the character select screen.

Within the past couple weeks, someone asked og83 about the compression and he said there was nothing he could really do about it unfortunately. It basically has to do with when there are any alpha channel pixels (transparency). I know this, since I did some direct Photoshop on the borders of each of the characters and that's where the transparent pixels come in. It looks especially crazy if you have a mostly transparent image. If you go to the pinball browser forum post, you can see example images someone is trying to work on for iron maiden.

Basically, it needs to be a square image without transparent pixels. So I can improve on the photos I took above by removing the alpha channels inside the square. Not sure if there exists any high res photos of the characters outside of the software, and the ones in the software involve some tweaking.

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

What about something like this from the arcade game?[quoted image]

That's actually what I originally thought about doing, but then I wanted to just use the artwork exclusively from the TV show. Now that I'm thinking about using zombie yetis work, this doesn't seem like a stretch.

I just saw the 1.22 code was released today though, so for now I'll probably just work on making the release and use the original character selection artwork.

I should have it ready in the next few days.

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

New code today! Going to update it on my old sdcard and wait for yours to use regularly

Interestingly, I tried opening up the new version of code in pinball browser and it no longer works. It claims to be unknown firmware. I reached out to the developer of pinball browser to see if there is anything he can do. Here's hoping!

#137 3 years ago

Well as of right now, pinball browser will not work with version 1.22 of TMNT. According to the pinball browser developer, it sounds like the latest firmware changed the way that sounds are decoded which also prevents me from using it at all even for just video. If there's an update to pinball browser, then I can update this code to 1.22, but for now we'll just have to wait.

1 week later
#144 3 years ago

So I haven't put the 1987 sd back in since I updated the original to 1.22. Can I put the 1987 that's on 1.21 back in and play, or is that going to be a problem? Is it okay to have 1 sd card (original) at 1.22, while the 1987 sd is at 1.21? Or Do I need to hold off on using the 1987 sd card at all, until pinball browser is updated and 1987 is able to be updated to 1.22?

I've installed Stern's 1.22 using a separate SD card and then gone back to the 1987 code (1.21) no problem. When you switch, it may do a node board update every time you switch. Seems like it's not a big deal to switch between the two.

1 week later
#146 3 years ago

Update for everyone!
The pinball browser dev is working on getting 1.22 tmnt firmware working - so once that is ready I can make updates for 1.22.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Any luck getting the 1987 code with delt music?
The link from delt for some reason never works on my computer i can’t get it to compress.
However didn’t have any issues with the 1987 code

Hmmm.. not sure what to make of that. delt31 may have some ideas?

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

I can't get either version with or without music to work. After it writes to the sd card it never says stern boot. Even when I do try it in the game everything stays black. Tried all the different applications. Not sure what I'm doing wrong .

Hmm, what hardware are you using to write the image and what sd card?
Maybe try the suggested ones in my installation video?

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

For delts combo code I'm using win32img.
For the original video code pinball browser.
Once it finishes writing it never says stern boot.
I'm using the exact usb/sd setup you recommended and I followed the video.

So the only difference is between your setup and mine would be the PC and potentially the image.

Can you try writing the image from another PC?

The image may be corrupted when you download it.
Try downloading with another browser or maybe if you have virus protection software it may be interfering with it?

Are you able to see the videos on the video tab when you load the firmware in pinball browser?
Another note, make sure you are not opening the firmware in pinball browser before writing it to the image.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

For delts combo code I'm using win32img.
For the original video code pinball browser.
Once it finishes writing it never says stern boot.
I'm using the exact usb/sd setup you recommended and I followed the video.

One more thought, it's possible that the USB port you are plugged into is finicky.

Try plugging the card writer into another USB port directly into your PC.

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from ViNsEDj:

Hi there mates, I´ve just "installed" it, and works awesome, but I found something a bit annoying. When the knocker hits, the speakers do a bit and loud "interference", for a milisecond, like when you switch on/off a machine. Anyone having this problem? Thanks in advance. Superbe job!!!

Added today: EDIT: I´ve performed a full power cycle, and now seems to work, didnt know what happened before!

Nice, glad you figured it out. I had no idea lol.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Hey Dave, you're taking all this down time to re-rip the footage at a better quality level, right?

I don't have the motivation to go back and edit all the videos again, but I could certainly show you guys how to do so

For what it's worth, the original videos even from the dvd are not that great of quality. I heard they had taken the vcr tapes as a source for a lot of them.

I will say there are certainly compression artifacts on some of my conversions in some dark scenes, but I honestly don't notice them on most of the clips. The only one that comes to mind that I really notice is the ninja pizza multi-ball loop scene.

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Sorry if its been asked before..
So, can I keep the original Stern code on one SD card and the 1987 code on another and go back/forth by just swapping out the SD cards?
Do the high scores move with the cards?
Thanks

Yes you can swap back and forth no problem (even different version 1.21 to 1.22).
High scores do not move with the cards.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Can anyone send me the 1987 code - music/video version?
Thanks!

Send a PM delt31. He would be happy to supply it.

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Have you noticed the videos look great when NOT converting with Pinball Browser? I have noticed that with my Aerosmith project. But I cannot import without conversion all the videos because then the SD card will not boot at some point. Seems that image size gets too large without conversion. But I'm using 3min-5min videos in Aerosmith. How long is the average video you're using in TMNT?

The average video clips I put in are 90 frames at 30fps (3 seconds).
About the only exception to this is the attract screen using the TMNT intro which is about 1 minute.
I found that if I import without conversion, I likely have to deal with bad images. Import with conversion was really the only way to make sure it worked. I imagine that importing without conversion can be dangerous since it likely writes over data outside the video file on the card if the file import is too big. Just my guess, but check with oga83. I remember oga83 said that import without conversion was just a temporary fix for some weird edge cases and it should not be used normally.

#173 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

I cannot seem to get past this point Any help ? I’ve got the sd card In the reader in usb3.0. I’m pretty computer illiterate,but I feel I’ve followed YouTube directions, and am stuck trying to get the “path” to the download etc.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like you got quotes around everything but .raw in your path:
'C:\Users\billy\Downloads\turtles_le-prem-1_21_0.Release.16G.sdcard.1987.dav'.raw

Paste this in there instead:
C:\Users\billy\Downloads\turtles_le-prem-1_21_0.Release.16G.sdcard.1987.dav.raw

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

How long are the video clips and did you always using conversion? Aerosmith background videos are the length of the songs, so much larger than just replacing a 10-30 second clip in JP and TNMT.

Oh sorry I thought I already replied to this but I guess it did not actually post.

The video clips are mostly about 3 seconds (90 frames at 30fps). At most, they were about 15 seconds. The only exception is the attract screen being about 1 minute. Luckily there was still no stutter on that one either.

I always use conversion based on what oga83 suggested.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

But we can have 1.22 installed on the main SD card and then swap to 1987 code on a different SD card correct?

Yes.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Ahhh. Ok ok. I assume waiting till final code and possibly updating your magic amazing skills then ? We’re all hoping that’s the case ? And another quick question, I assume I can just pop out the sd, and pop it back in, power cycle and it’ll be Oldschool again ? Thank you so much !!

The software we use to make this code is pinball browser. Stern changed something in the way the image of the software can be manipulated on TMNT starting at version 1.22. The developer of pinball browser is working on being able to read it, but until that works we cannot make the custom software image for version 1.22.

In order to swap between the SD cards, make sure your power is off and swap them. Then turn on and you will notice a node board update and you should be good to go.

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

So strange. I cannot get it back on. I had it on there working last night, only had time to play one game,figured I’d update code (bad idea) . Now I can’t get it to work again. Maybe I start over,re format sd card,pin browser etc ? So weird

If you try to update the code by usb to 1.22 on the 1.21 1987 code it definitely will not work. I would format the SD card and do a complete rewrite of the 1987 1.21 code.

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Guys bitching about video quality need to remember the source and when the cartoons came out they were meant for and shown on 480i TVs. Laserdisc upped the resolution over vhs before DVD’s came out but the cartoons were not put on laserdisc unfortunately to get better image quality when they put them to dvd.
We definitely are spoiled now with 1080p and 4K. Unfortunately playing low res video or games on an HD tv will look like crap compared to high res.
Definitely was on the fence on getting Turtles, but this definitely pushes me off the fence, and I wasn’t a kid any longer when the Turtles came out, but my kids loved the show.
Awesome job! Definitely jealous of your skill set.

Thank you for the kind words! I actually kind of like the image quality as is. It reminds me of my childhood times lol. I'll just put a CRT TV in place of the stern screen...

#194 3 years ago

That's pretty good for a remake - my only complaint is how they made the mouths look.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from Mcgringoloco:

With the new update today if I update will it erase the 1987 code?

Yeah you can't ever take a stern update and apply it to the sd card with the 1987 code on it.

Unfortunately, we just have to wait for pinball browser to be compatible with the latest updates before I can make any updates to the latest version. It stopped working on TMNT version 1.21.

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

i did a recheck. and some bad news. the names of the videos did change more.
in the video folders videos are like 0.asset -> 293.asset in the 1.21 software.
in 1.23 it is 0.asset -> 320.asset
until 40.asset they are the same but from there on videos are put in and the numbering begins to differ.
the video 41.asset in 1.21 is 45.asset in 1.23. 42.asset to 44.asset were added and pushed the other videos back.
So a simple like overwrite like i did will not work. The Videos need to be remapped and maybe the pushed in videos replace with 1987 format.

This is actually pretty cool! It would take some manual work to map the videos to the new locations but it is certainly possible. Like you said though, the images would not be possible without pinball browser (character select screen, static loop with awards, mode intro screens). That would be a good intermediary though without pinball browser.

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

well most of the work did daveyvandy and delt31
i have done some video replacement myself and i know what work it is.
still need some time for the mapping, then you would need to do it 3 times for pro, prem and le.
I think the mapping will be the same on all 3 images, as i understand all videos are in all images. glider videos are in the pro image.
will get back again, when i have the mapping complete.

Awesome work, I'd be happy to give you the new videos for the new mode once I make them. The attract video I would recommend keeping as the original Stern one since we can't remove the images that overlay it. Also, the premium and LE share the same firmware so you only need to do two images

#224 3 years ago

So I have been working with cabal on the side to make version 1.23 without pinball browser. We were basically done, then it looked like pinball browser got an update to work with 1.23!
Either way it's good news for everyone. I'll get out the new version sometime in the next few days.

#227 3 years ago

1.23 is up - see first post for the links!
I would appreciate if someone with a Premium / LE could confirm that the 1.23 image is working
Good luck getting to Neutrino Pizza Party!
PXL_20201111_211800078 (resized).jpgPXL_20201111_211800078 (resized).jpg

#230 3 years ago
Quoted from CKrueger:

This is awesome! Thanks so much for all your hard work!
I played a joke on my wife... told her to come play a game and see what was different. She didn't notice at first... she was looking all over the playfield for something I changed. She was floored when she saw the old cartoons playing!

Ha! That is awesome. I did the same thing to my 4-year-old and it took her a while too

#233 3 years ago

Thank you for confirming!

#237 3 years ago

deleted

#240 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Can I not use the same sd card as I did before for the 1.21 code? I reformatted it, it still says as turtles and only has 8gb instead of 16. I’m so confused ! Haha. The folder is empty. I gotta buy a another sd ? That’s fine,but maybe Im just doing something wrong ? Sorry .
[quoted image]

If you really want to force it onto an 8gb card you can use Win32 disk imager. This may or may not work, and I do not recommend it since some people might accidentally write over their original SD card from Stern since that one is 8 gb.

However, you should just be able to write to your 16 gb SD card with pinball browser without any problems.

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Soo. I can’t seem to download the updated pin browser, this seems to be my problem. . I wish I was better at computers. I wasn’t trying to use an 8gb card, my 16gb I used previously has somehow turned into 8gb after reformatting it , I know it’s 16gb, sats it on it, but in properties etc it’s now an 8gb card. So I bought a new 16gb card. Somehow I cannot seem to update pin browser now. Zip file doesn’t want too open. I click run in administrator, nothing happens . Ahhhh

Try to get the latest version from the pinball browser forum thread.
If you're having trouble with writing it in pinball browser, you can try Balena Etcher or Win32 disk imager.

#243 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Soo. I can’t seem to download the updated pin browser, this seems to be my problem. . I wish I was better at computers. I wasn’t trying to use an 8gb card, my 16gb I used previously has somehow turned into 8gb after reformatting it , I know it’s 16gb, sats it on it, but in properties etc it’s now an 8gb card. So I bought a new 16gb card. Somehow I cannot seem to update pin browser now. Zip file doesn’t want too open. I click run in administrator, nothing happens . Ahhhh

Also how did you format the card? You shouldn't have to format it but it is possible that if you formatted it incorrectly it lowered the readable amount of space. Do you remember what file structure you used? Like exFat or FAT32 or NTFS?

#247 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

I’m terrible at computers (decent at pinball tho. What am I doing wrong? Third try here, processes for like 7-10min, then the sd card is empty after ??! Brand new sd card, not formatted , 16gb
I just want it to work. Sorry fir my ignorance with pc and programs and downloads etc! I commend you guys for all your hard work (including helping this clueless Canadian). Pictures here , hopefully this time it works !!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Let it go to 100%. It should take about 10-15 minutes. You won't be able to see the files on it on your computer. After you let it go to 100%, make sure you safely eject it by right-clicking the drive in my computer and pressing eject. Then insert it into your pinball machine. I have a video for the installation instructions on my first post if that helps.

#250 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

I followed your video each time, worked before fine. But man, I can’t seem to get it on the sd . Takes 10-15 min , but the card is still empty, like no space used at all. Ive tried 2 cards now. It seems like it should be simple. But it’s not working fir me . I’ll eventually get it I’m
Sure. Just struggling.. thanks for your hard work
But like ya,super weird.
[quoted image]

What card reader are you using?
It's possible that the card reader is not working.

Can you get the standard stern image written onto the sd card? Use this link and follow their instructions.
https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/
If you can get that to work, try writing the 1987 image with the same software that Stern suggests (Balena Etcher).

#257 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

lol finally got it. Was a very simple mistake I was making. I wasn’t copying the path to pin browser correctly, and that was it. Easy easy. Thanks for the assistance

Glad you got it working, I was very confused by the issue you were having!

3 weeks later
#262 3 years ago
Quoted from SevenEightyRacer:

So once I have this source code on the machine, am I able to update the code updates from stern normally? Or am I locked in to 1.21?

Once you have this code on your machine, you can swap the SD card from Stern with this one without any issues.
Do not attempt software updates from Stern onto the 1987 code SD card, it will not work.

So for example: card 1 has Stern 1.23 code on it, card 2 has 1987 1.23 code on it.
* you can update to 1.40 code from Stern on the Stern SD only
* updates to 1.40 code on the 1987 version requires a full image download from this forum and will re-write everything (including high scores and settings) when you write to the card again. (you can save high scores and settings first using the built-in option on the pinball diagnostics settings).

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from retroworld2k:

Really love it. Big thx.
So now is 1.4 out. Will you make a update?

With help from @cabal, we are making an update without the use of Pinball Browser
I need to make 22 new videos, so give me about a week.

#266 3 years ago

v1.41 is up!
HUGE thanks to cabal for doing the magic to make this happen without Pinball Browser (since it is not compatible with the latest firmware).
Half Shell Challenge videos have been added

#269 3 years ago

Thx for all the work. Videos are great again. Only one video I would change. Maybe at the end of the new mini mode something from this birthday party.

Only an idea.
Maik

Hey thanks that's actually a great clip! Will make some changes and put up a v2 in the next few days.

#273 3 years ago

Thx for all the work. Videos are great again. Only one video I would change. Maybe at the end of the new mini mode something from this birthday party.

Only an idea.
Maik

New version using this suggested video is up (replacing the previous 1.41 link).
Thank you for the recommendation.

#275 3 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Any chance to add the 1987 theme song back in? Just updated and noticed that its missing now. Went back to the weird stern one.

Only once Pinball Browser is compatible.
According to @cabal, the music is all encrypted as one big file, so using his method we cannot change the music.

#278 3 years ago

Just made some minor tweaks and uploaded.
* Fixed missing screen for final battle intro
* Removed wonky text shadow on training level 2 complete screen

Pinball Browser is now compatible again with the latest TMNT firmware, however the sound imports are not quite working.
Once it is working again, I will add the 1987 theme song back in.

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I think I know the answer but I downloaded this last night. I assume you didn’t have this up when I downloaded so I need to download the one today, correct?

Yes, I did the latest update this morning around 10AM EST.
Hopefully now that I have them zipped the download times are much shorter!

#282 3 years ago
Quoted from R_P_M:

I think I'm jumping into the chat a bit late. If possible, when all of your guys hard work is completed can I too get the new 1987 code. I'm not sure if I'm reaching out to the correct person or not. Or if someone can point me in the right direction of who to PM. I'm super pumped up after seeing the previous clips. I purchased an SD Card and my brother in law said he can help me out with getting the file/code written to the SD card for me. Thank you guys all so much. I'm new to Pinside. Such a great resource and community.
Any Info is greatly appreciated.
I currently feel lost like I'm not reaching out correctly.

Hello and welcome to pinside, you're going to love it here! I'm honored that your first post is in this thread

Visit the first post in this thread for all of the links for the firmware, and the video on how to install. The only new thing to note since I made an installation video is that you must extract the firmware once you download it (it is in a .zip archive). Let me know if you have any questions.

2 weeks later
#285 3 years ago
Quoted from earflaps:

Hate asking questions as if I were a Newb but this has me stumped. I've downloaded 1.41 from the updated 1st post in this thread. I've loaded it in Pinball Browser and at the end I get a Firmware Error...am I missing something?

Did you extract it first?
Make sure you are flashing with the '.raw' file in Pinball Browser.
If it is the '.zip' file, you have to extract that first.
I started zipping the file so that downloads would be faster for everyone.
After extracting, follow the instruction video for any parts that you may be missing.

If you cannot get Pinball Browser to work for some reason, you could also try 'Win32DiskImager'.

3 weeks later
#288 3 years ago

New 1.41 version updated to fix the missing final battle intro speech.
Thanks to cabal for the expert work!

Pro tested working.
If anyone tries 1.41 premium/LE let me know if it works (loads and you can play a game and fixes the final battle speech).

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Does this change any of the sounds? Like using the original version of the theme song?

No it does not change the other sounds unfortunately.

1 week later
#295 3 years ago
Quoted from pldubya43:

Can this be done on a Mac OS? Or is Windows OS required for all the applications and extractions?

If you are talking about writing the SD card image to an SD card you "should" be able to do that on any operating system as long as the program you are using can take the SD card image as an input.
I have not tried this on a mac, but you could start with https://www.balena.io/etcher/ since it works for mac too.
This specific program tends to fail for me randomly even when verifying data - the write process 'looks' successful, but the card just reboots endlessly when used in the TMNT pinball machine. If that happens, try writing again a few times and it probably would work.

1 month later
#297 3 years ago

Update for anyone who cares:
I tried getting the original theme song onto v1.41 using the latest Pinball Browser update (7.80) to see if it works with TMNT again.
Unfortunately, it does not quite work.
Putting the theme song onto the image somehow disables the music that plays during the first ball and there were some other weird quirks.
Based on what the dev is saying in the Pinball Browser forum post, the codecs used are not always the same from game to game and his insider for help is no longer available.
Long story short, it looks like replacing music is not yet working.

#300 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Loaded this on my Pro tonight. It crashed during my first game. I started Turtle Power Multiball, then the Michael Angelo (red) weapon hurry up, then I think put a 3rd ball into the Pizza Parlor when it crashed. Game froze, then restarted with the sound back at level 18 instead of 8 where I had it. Not sure if it reset pricing as well (l like to coin up for the extra sound effects and arcade feel!). The second game worked fine although way too quickly.
Any thoughts about what caused the crash?

Crashes during turtle power multi-ball are very rare and happen even on the original stern code. Whenever I had that happen, it was usually on the first game after writing the software to the card.

The fact that it set your volume level to 18 is suspect though. If you have any other weird behavior, I would suggest writing to the SD card again. Try using another method like win32diskimager if you plan to write the data to the SD card again.

2 weeks later
#305 2 years ago
Quoted from ScreaminSauce:

Wow daveyvandy, while watching the 'what it looks like' video from the first post, I have to ask - are those pinstadiums providing the nice lighting effects? The UV color flashing and overall GI effects look amazing!

Yes they are the original PinStadiums! I recently upgraded to the Neo PinStadiums and they are freaking amazing on this game. Can't go back to regular ones. The other change I made was to tie the UV flashers to the shaker instead of the center pop flasher. Subtle, but I like it better that way.

#308 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

I would love to get this for my premium tmnt what do I need to do

Check out the first post of this topic for getting set up.
Enjoy!

1 month later
#312 2 years ago

The combined code is only available through PMing @delt32.

Keep in mind that the latest version of combined code is not the same version as the latest stern code since Pinball Browser became incompatible with later TMNT code from the audio side (video was still compatible).

Added over 3 years ago:

delt31. Not 32

4 weeks later
#313 2 years ago

Mental note: Google drive links will need to be updated after Sept. 13 because of a google drive security update.

1 month later
#315 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Any luck with the drive link update?

Just did the update now, but it looks like the links are identical.
Please let me know if you have trouble downloading them.

Also, I removed older versions to clean up the space.

1 week later
#319 2 years ago
Quoted from Grayont:

This is awesome! I’m definitely going to install this. It will be my reward when I finally make it to Cowabunga!

I hope you make it there - I have only been there once and that's when I played a four-player co-op game with myself!

#321 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I've never done a card swap or any monkeying with the programming on a pin. Is there any danger in this? Is it possible to brick my $6k toy? I love the idea, but only if it's 100% safe.

Well I'm pretty sure there have been at least a couple hundred installs across different machines and no one has mentioned bricking their game to me yet.

If you can follow instructions and swap an SD card then there's no harm.

Only caveat I would say is if you get the new insider connected apron with automatic updates and Wi-Fi connectivity to Stern's system then maybe you would have a problem.

1 week later
#326 2 years ago
Quoted from Jammer55826:

I just wanted to say thanks for making this possible. I grew up with the 80’s cartoon and it’s great to see that I can relive those memories on my newly acquired TMNT pin.

You are very welcome! Glad I could take your posting virginity too

#328 2 years ago
Quoted from Jammer55826:

Yessir, you were my first.
Special thanks to ianwho for giving me the opportunity to purchase my TMNT pin from him.
On another note, is delt31 no longer offering his custom music with your code? I reached out to him, but never heard anything back. If anyone has a copy of the code with his music, that they would like to share with me, please message me.

Yeah I don't think he is distributing it anymore. Also, the music only worked up to a few versions back, so you would be missing out on some of the newer code anyways.

4 weeks later
#331 2 years ago
Quoted from Jammer55826:

No worries. Thanks for the quick response.
I’m writing the code as we speak.

Awesome!

Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

I can't find Pinball Browser, all links are dead. What are my alternatives?

Seems like the link works for me at least.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

If that doesn't work still, you can try using Balena Etcher, but it does have tendency to create failed writes. You'll only find out once you plug it into your machine. If it has a failed write, then the game will not boot correctly.

#333 2 years ago

Thanks for the help,
I managed to download it by using Microsoft Edge rather than chrome. Odd that it doesn't work on Chrome!

Weird! I'll make a mental note the next time someone has an issue.

1 week later
#336 2 years ago
Quoted from Bwheels:

Hello all. Just picked up a new TMNT. Both my wife and I have PCs that are used for work and we can’t download on them. If I Venmo someone could you send me the flashed SD?

The second any kind of money is exchanged, you could get into trouble with the license holder. I would recommend you get a local friend to help you out.

1 week later
#339 2 years ago

Will we get an update to this featuring the 1.50 code?

Nice! Looks like they finally did a stern code release today
I'll start looking at seeing if it's possible to bring the 1987 code up to 1.50...

#341 2 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Does the current 1987 code work with the 1.5 code? If not I'm not updating to the 1.5 code!!

The current 1987 code does not work with 1.5 code. If you try to update using the Stern usb code onto the 1987 code SD card, it most likely will not work at all.

Additionally, I would caution you to never have the 1987 code on a pinball machine connected to the internet. There are validity checks in the new 1.5 code and I wouldn't want you getting banned or bricked just from using the 1987 code.

However, you should still be able to swap between an original stern SD card and a 1987 code SD card just fine. Even connecting to the internet on the Stern code.

Will keep you guys posted when we have an update ready.

#343 2 years ago

1.50 Pro is up. Premium / LE coming soon.
Added text to Extra Ball and Shoot Again screen by request.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#344 2 years ago
Quoted from Ninja2bceen:

Excited about the potential of 1.5 code update and this mod. What’s the skinny on the music and sounds not working on updated code? Is it ever a potential or dead in water moving forward?
I read the online kits are 199 and tmnt is compatible but to somebody’s point, prolly can’t run this mod while online. If anyone has this mod, swaps the sd card out to the official code and plays online, please report out experience. I assume as long as the sd card with the official code is on here there will be no issues

Unfortunately getting music and sounds in custom code is dead in the water unless Pinball Browser becomes compatible with the latest versions.

#347 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

So changing videos can still be done but sounds/music can't be?

That is correct. For these updates of the latest versions, we are actually not using pinball browser. But pinball browser did allow changing the sounds and music.

#349 2 years ago

Awesome! Can the text be a bit smaller? I love the animation it always makes me laugh

The text fades in at the later part of the clip so it's not covering the whole animation - I didn't want to miss them playing pinball either lol.

#350 2 years ago

1.50 premium / LE is added now. I have no way of testing it so please let me know if it has any issues!

#353 2 years ago

Do we have to redo the SD card if we already have the 1987 or can we update it using a usb stick?

No, you have to redo the SD card. Updates by USB stick will not work. That being said, I would highly recommend backing up your settings and scores on a USB stick because otherwise they will get wiped. You do that by going into the utilities section on your pinball machine. Once the new image is written, go back into the utility section and load the saved settings and scores.

#356 2 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

HA daveyvandy I literally just installed the 1.41 tonight - and was logging onto to thank you and now I see this 1.50!
I got a kick out of those cartoons - and appreciate that you've posted this and your in-depth instructions. Thanks!

Aw thanks! Glad to share it with fellow Pinsiders

2 weeks later
#361 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Has anyone attempted this code with the Insider Connect?

I have not personally tried it, but I heard from someone who knows how to look at the software internals that there are new validation checks on the last code versions. Stern could easily use this to ban you from their service. They have good reasons to do this in case someone is cheating by using custom code which affects scoring. They could also do this do protect themselves from angry license holders (angry for allowing custom code).

So at this point, I imagine you could try getting on the insider connect service with this custom code and it may even work just fine... but who knows if you'll get banned at some point? Not sure if they would ban your machine or your account. Or maybe if you swap back to Stern code it would work just fine?

Reminds me of my younger days when I got banned from Xbox 360 live for flashing custom firmware.

#364 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRat:

Any reason you couldn't just keep two firmware sets? One on 1.41 with this mod and no insider and another with 1.50 with stock code and insider? swap back and forth as you prefer?

You can totally do that. When you swap the SD cards, the node boards will update to match the versions required.

Additionally though, if you don't set up insider connect on your SD card with the 1987 code, then it won't be able to connect and you'll be fine.

#366 2 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

So you can do the update to the 1.5 code and don't connect with insider connect and the 1987 code works?

Yeah that's what I do. Granted I don't have the apron, but if you never set up the wifi connection on the pinball machine there's no way they could ban you. If you're worried though you could always physically unplug the apron.

#368 2 years ago
Quoted from acons017:

Thank you dude! Do you know if your modded code will be compatible with Stern Connect? Wondering if modded codes would lock you out of using that feature.

They probably would lock you out of using that feature. I wouldn't recommend trying.

Quoted from acons017:

Also I’m a fan of Delt31’s music code. Thinking of giving it a try myself to update it for 1.50. Do you know what challenges he faced with pinbrowser? Seems like you’re doing just fine with modding codes so not sure why he stopped.

We did not use pinball browser for modifying the latest version of 1987 code. However, it looks like there is a new version of pinball browser that may be compatible with TMNT again. You have to use pinball browser to put custom music into the code. On previous versions of pinball browser, the music was uncontrollably distorted when custom music was put on there. I haven't tried the latest version to see if music works or not.
I'm pretty sure delt sold his TMNT so he probably doesn't have any incentive to keep modifying code. Plus compatibility with making music mods is questionable. Also, I imagine he got tired of distributing it.

If you have his version on 1.4, and you have pinball browser, you could easily make a version to put the music in 1.5. Assuming the music comes out okay.

2 weeks later
#376 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Balena Etcher worked. I specifically didn't use it because post #1 explicitly states not to use it, but one test game worked so far. Thanks for the help!

Good to know!
Seems like everyone's computer is slightly different.
Etcher gave me so many headaches when developing the 1987 code ... But I'm glad it worked out for you.

1 month later
#385 2 years ago
Quoted from MiloWolfgang:

I have 1987 1.4 code and Stern insider connect 1.5 original code. On 2 different SD cards and swap them out.
If I upgrade my 1987 SD card to 1987 1.5 will it work with insider connect, but not recommended to do? (Is insider disabled in this new 1987 1.5 code?)

Do you think they would brick the machine? If they get mad or update. I could just go back to original 1.5 code then update.
Sorry if this seems really confusing. I want the best of both worlds.

Not sure what, if anything, Stern would do if you used the 1987 code along with insider connected. They could possibly ban your profile, but I'm guessing that might not happen since anyone could log into a machine and not be responsible for putting the code on there.

Really not sure at all if they would do anything, or if they are just protecting themselves in case license holders come after them. I've heard reports of users using the 1987 code with insider connected with no issues at all. But that could all change down the line, so who knows. I'm one of those guys who modded my Xbox 360 and got banned from Xbox live, so the threat is real
There are checks in place to see if you have official code, so you've been warned

Just my very rough guess here:
I highly doubt that they would brick your $8,000 machine.
At the most, they would probably ban your machine from insider connected. Not sure how they would do that, whether by Mac address or some internal flag on the hardware or something, but I imagine it could be reverted somehow. If it's something like the MAC address, there are Mac spoofers.

1 week later
#387 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

I just ordered my new tmnt pro I should get it next Friday. I’m not doing insider connect n I’ve been reading all the comments on hear so what can I download is it just 1987 code or the music code to or April I’m confused. Thanks

This form topic is just for the 1987 code. You can watch the video on my first post to see exactly what you get here. There's no modifications to the music. There is a separate forum topic for the April code.
Enjoy!

1 week later
#389 2 years ago
Quoted from Neozone:

I'm having the same issue two other people in the thread talked about.
[quoted image]

Try using balena etcher or win32 disc imager.

#393 2 years ago

I saw the updated code from Stern today.
Going to see if we can update the 1987 code to the same version.

#399 2 years ago

Looks possible to update, but without direct pinball browser support it will take a little effort. Possibly it will be ready some time next week.

#402 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Ok I got question. So do u download the 1987 mod n then go to April mod n download it to have both or u can only have one of them at a time. I just got my new tmnt pro n both of those are fantastic I’m just trying to figure out how to do both or u can’t u just have to pick one. Thanks

You have to pick one. Both have a new April

#405 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Ok thanks that’s what I wanted to know. Now yours is just not April right it’s got more to it or am I wrong.

Right, check out my video on the first post in this thread to see the changes in action.

#409 2 years ago

1.51 is now available for download

#412 2 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

a quick question, has anybody ever tried a sd-card adapte cable?
will this work in pinball machine, with all this electronic stuff going on.
amazon.com link »
60 cm is not that much, i am not sure where to route it, maybe on top throught the topper cable part.
would make so much easier, to switch sd-cards without the need to open the backbox.

I haven't used one of these before, but just a heads up that the one you linked is a micro SD to SD card cable. There's another one on Amazon that is SD to SD. I also browsed around to see if they had any toggles or switchers to easily switch between SD cards but couldn't find anything.

1 month later
#417 1 year ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Has anyone played with insider connect with this code installed yet? I know people have with the custom jp code and dont seem to have had issues

My dad has been running it on my machine for the past month no problem. I'm sure others have had the same experience. Of course, I'm not promising anything, so use use at your own risk.

1 month later
#419 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundmazta:

Ih have a Problem with insider connect with the 1987 code. Insider connect is installed and wokring on my turtles LE machine, but when i change the sd card to the custom code all my insider connect settings are gone. I tried to get it back up running, but with the custom code my machine cant find any wifi network. to scan the settings with the qr code is also not working. i tried the whoe setup multiple times but i cant get it connected to my wifi. can someone give me some advice or did anyone have the same problems with the custom code? Thanks for the help

That's weird, maybe try reflashing the SD card and making sure you have the latest version for your LE.

2 weeks later
#426 1 year ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

Helping a friend out and have a question. Stern now only has the 1.52 game code on their website, but the 1987 image file is for 1.51. Will this combination of files still work if this machine doesn't have Insider Connected? If not does anyone have a link to the 1.51 game code?

Not sure I understand your question, are you trying to get 1.51 or 1.52 code? You cannot use a combination of the stern official code and the 1987 code, you either choose one or the other. If you install the 1987 code with 1.51, doing an update on the machine will overwrite the video files and give you the stock 1.52 Stern code. For now, you have to choose between if you want to have insider connect or custom code.

#430 1 year ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

Ok, so if I understand correctly I can load up the Stern 1.52 game code and still use the SD image file in the first post of this forum? Or do I need the 1.51 Stern game code? The 1.51 game code isn't available on Stern's website anymore. But if someone here still has the zip file and can share it with me that'd be great.

The link posted on the first post in this thread is a full image that you write to the SD card from your computer. Once you do that, you slot it right into the machine and it works. You can watch the install video on the first post if that doesn't quite make sense.

1 month later
#438 1 year ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Any chance of this making it up to 1.52? Love the home team feature but I love this code more

So the thing is, the latest stern insider connect code is not going to work with custom code.
The 1.52 update is specifically for the hometeam features and a small update to a minor bug.

From the stern changelog:
--------------------------------
**** FIXED ****
- During the start of NINJA PIZZA MULTIBALL, the upper left flipper will be
raised based on the number of balls in the PARLOUR to try and catch more
balls on the PIZZA MAGNET.
--------------------------------

If you never connect the 1.52 code to the internet and don't have stern insider connect, then perhaps the new 1.52 custom code would be fine for you.
I do have a copy of the custom 1.52 code but I never posted it because the update to gameplay is sooo minor and I didn't want to deal with complaints about incompatibility or affects of connecting to the web.
If you want to be a guinea pig, let me know and I'll PM you a link to the 1.52 custom code.

#439 1 year ago

1.53 stern code with some great score balancing released today. Work is in progress to get 1987 code on 1.53. No promises of stern insider connect compatibility.

#440 1 year ago

1.53 Premium / LE code is now posted (see first post in this topic).
I have not tested this myself, please let me know if there are any issues.
Also, do not connect your pinball machine to the internet while running this code.

Pro version is in the works...

#443 1 year ago

Pro is ready (see first post).
Enjoy!

#445 1 year ago
Quoted from tinkerer:

Thank you for your amazing work! I flashed the pro version to an sdcard using dd (which has worked in the past). It seems to play just fine, but is displaying a 'Game validation error, Update SD card' message in red during the turtle selection screen. Is this anticipated, or should I try to flash it again?
Thanks!

Does your machine have insider connect?
Is it online?

#451 1 year ago
Quoted from tinkerer:

It looks like the game file is just a standard elf binary? I don't know if they are always unsigned or just as a byproduct of the mod, but the 'Game validation error, Update SD card' string only shows up in a single location and if you patch that string the message goes away (ie, change the 'G' to a null byte.) I'm not planning on using IC with this code nor do anything 'evil', but I'll delete this message if this breaks the rules or is otherwise frowned on.
With some further testing, there is a small red rectangle, but much less pronounced than before. The game appears to play fine.

Very interesting... I don't have my machine with me to test, but that is interesting that they have validation even on machines without stern insider connect.
I'm glad it still works, but I totally get the annoyance of having that little message pop up. Very cool that you were able to remove the string.
I don't think tampering with it breaks any rules and you'll only get smiles from this forum, but maybe Stern would beg to differ lol.

#453 1 year ago

I just updated the Pro and Premium/LE download links for 1.53 to remove the cosmetic warning about the game validation error.
Please note that the this just removes the warning, you still shouldn't connect your machine to the internet.

#456 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

So we’re good to download. I just wanted to be sure because I’ve not had a problem at all on my tmnt ever like I keep hearing about.

Should be, just don't go online on your machine.
If you're referring to the TPMB crash, that happens on regular Stern code and custom code.
It's rare to see it and it usually happens within the first ten games after a fresh flash if at all.

#458 1 year ago
Quoted from tinkerer:

daveyvandy I just flashed version 1.5.3_2 and it looks good! There is still a one character red rectangle that shows up so briefly you can miss it (same as my 'manual' patch), but much much better than it was before. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Thank my anonymous helper
Wouldn't be possible without them digging into the image.

#461 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

So I need to use pinball browser for this n do you pay for the browser. I’ve used some others but not browser were do I get it

Quoted from cabal:

hi am not sure what you mean with your sentence.
For the 1987 code you do not need pinball browser. You need a software that can write a raw image to sd-cards. For some people some software works better than other:
win32diskimager
Balena etcher
Pinball Browser (free version can do it)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/

You do not need to pay for anything to use the 1987 code. I suggest using pinball browser to write the image with the free license as shown in my install video on the first post. But you could possibly use another disk imager.

1 week later
#468 1 year ago

It looks like doing 1.54 will be harder than it was for 1.53 for the custom code. Work is being done, but no promises there yet. We usually figure it out in the end though. Might just take some time..

#470 1 year ago

Really awesome progress going on in the background.
1.54 1987 code is in testing now.
A ton of code verification was added in and it's not trivial to get around.
Wouldn't be possible without anonymous help

#471 1 year ago

Ready for public testing.
Please PM me if you are interested!
Once we confirm a few people I'll release it to everyone.

Note that steps 1-4 are only needed one time
Basic instructions:
1. Install stern official 1.54 code.
2. Play a game or keep it in attract mode for 10 minutes
3. Turn the game off
4. Swap SD cards to the 1987 code
5. Enjoy!

#472 1 year ago

All right, I haven't heard any problems from any beta testers. If I don't hear from any of them about any problems by tomorrow, I will post the link to the code in this thread.

#474 1 year ago

1.54 code is now posted.
Note that I added this to the instructions:
"If you have any validation errors, swap to the official Stern code and play a game or two - this should clear the errors out."
You should be able to follow the normal install instructions otherwise.

Enormous thanks again to the anonymous helpers!!

2 weeks later
#480 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Just have to say, finally got this going on my TMNT LE and THANK YOU!!!! This is freaking awesome...

Thank you! I'm glad so many people can continually enjoy this. It has become a community effort to make it compatible with the latest code, but there is for sure a passionate community

#483 1 year ago
Quoted from jerrydman:

I just installed this and loved it! However I don't have any intro music; once I hit start it works great but till then it's silent.
Is that normal?

Glad you're enjoying it!
If you're just in attract mode (no game started yet) then there's no music. Same as with Stern code.

#486 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

I am also really enjoying this..IN FACT, if it weren't for your new video assetts, I'd actually lean on selling mine sooner..now I'm kinda getting hooked on the machine, despite my 3 years of being too old' to watch the show (I"m 48). I'm diggin' it!

Thanks! I love hearing that
There's over 200 custom clips in there ... Hopefully you will see most of them

#490 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Do I just download to usb stick from stern or do I have to do a complete sd card again to keep my 1987 code.

What KING-HENRY said. If you need more guidance there is an installation video on the first post.

#492 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Ok hang on with me just a minute lol. I am running the 1987 code now on 1.53. For the 1.54 do I put it on another sd card n install like I did before lol. Thanks

If you want to save your settings and high scores, you can back them up with a USB stick first.
You need to rewrite the 1987 SD card with the 1.54 image.

#494 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

Just to clearing I can just switch between cards without issues of the pin wanting to update anything correct?

As long as they are equal versions (like 1.54 to 1.54) then it will not update anything. If they are not, it may update node boards.

#501 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Ok I installed 1.54 n I’m getting the validation error so do I take 1987 version out n go back to 1.53 n then back. Help the big man out I get a little confused on this stuff lol

Grab the stern 1.54 code and put it in the machine. Play a game or two, until the validation errors go away. Then swap back to the 1987 code.
Should only have to do this one time.

#503 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Ok I get 1.54 from stern sight download to usb and install. So I need to put the factory sd card back in first n put 1.54 in then go back to 1987 right

Yep you got it.

#506 1 year ago
Quoted from nerdkiller:

I'm having the game validation error and it won't go away. I've tried updating my non 1987 sd card with the newest and also re writing the a fresh image from stern but haven't been able to get the error to go away.
Any suggestions? I've already taken the little battery out and but it back but that hasn't work.

Make sure you don't have any USB mods plugged in as well. I had a scorbitron plugged in causing validation errors on stock BM66 code.

The validation code decrements validation error counts over time, so you'll need to be in stock Stern code for maybe 20 minutes or more depending on how many validation errors are stored.

Once they are gone, the 1987 code shouldn't increment the errors.
But you should also keep the machine off the internet.

1 month later
#517 1 year ago
Quoted from Wizpin17:

I read this whole chain but I am still a little uncertain if this was an accurate assessment. I have a tmnt with the code already on the current card that came with the machine I bought used. In order to get the default version without the code. Do I just remove the current card and put in a blank one? And 2 if I want the code I just go back and switch or is there something special needed to be done if I want to revert to the code.

What you can do to get the default stern official code is go to the following link and download an SD card image for the latest code and put it on a blank SD card (follow instructions from Stern on how to burn it to the SD card).
Then as long as you have the same version of 1987 code (1.54) you can swap between the two easily.

https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

4 weeks later
#519 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm picking up a turtles premium next week. Cowabunga! Just learning about this 1987 code. Does it change the audio at all, or just the animations? Is there a gameplay video with the 1987 code and Delt's music? Is Delt's music the riginal show soundtrack, or what?
Which version of the code do you guys like best?
Thanks!

The 1987 code does not change the audio at all.
Pinball Browser software is the only way to change the audio and for a very long time it was not compatible. I believe it may be compatible at this point, but I haven't played around with it and don't have intentions to do so.

Delt does not maintain the audio version anymore.

Personally, I prefer the audio from Stern anyway

1 week later
#521 1 year ago
Quoted from Ninja2bceen:

So in conclusion what we are saying is a modded sd card on connect can brick the cabinet? The validation error only happens when online?

I haven't tried using Insider Connect with modded code and I don't want to risk seeing what happens. I highly doubt your machine would be bricked though.

#523 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

I am running the 1987 code 1.54 with Insider Connected and no problems.
I read in the thread for the Scandell mod that if you have validation errors try installing the stock 1.54 code and THEN the modded 1.54 code. That's for Scandell, so I have no idea if it matters for 1987, but my machine was on the stock 1.54 when I got it so if you're concerned you can try installing the stock 1.54 first.
I've not heard of anything being bricked, worst case you would just re-install the stock code.

Thanks for the confirmation!

1 week later
#527 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Just getting around to trying this for the first time following the original instructions in conjunction with the Pinball Browser forum. However, I only have a Mac where I'm using the Crossover Free Trial version for the next 14 days....
When I tried using Crossover it gives me an error (along the lines of the NET one but way more accompanying text) and I tried installing the NET and it said it was already installed. I gave up and followed the Stern instructions to flash on an SD card using Balena Etcher. First time trying it but it seems to have flashed without error. The original post said there are issues with Balena but is that still the case? I guess I'll find out when I try it soon.

I've had tons of issues using Etcher on Windows, other people had no issues using it on Mac.
If you have issues, you'll know within one game - it will restart sporadically and videos and images may not load correctly.

#530 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

When trying to start a game after selecting a turtle the game locks up on me.
Is it correct I need to be at the latest 1.54 code? I thought I was but when I put the original SD card in it said I was running v1.41. Do I need to upgrade before swapping out the cards? I think I missed that step if so.

Yeah if you have lock ups you just need to use another program to write the image.
You may have better luck with a windows machine.

#531 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

When trying to start a game after selecting a turtle the game locks up on me.
Is it correct I need to be at the latest 1.54 code? I thought I was but when I put the original SD card in it said I was running v1.41. Do I need to upgrade before swapping out the cards? I think I missed that step if so.

It shouldn't matter if stock code is 1.41, however, you could update using the stern 1.54 code just to be sure. You'll probably get some node board updates with the update.

#532 1 year ago

Just wanted to say I've been using the 1987 code with insider connect just fine for a few weeks.

2 months later
#536 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

There aren't any meaningful updates in 1.55 so I would imagine yes.
Does anyone know if there is a 1987 + April code mashup?

1987 + April code doesn't make sense (combining computer renders with cartoons)
Will have to see how possible it is to update the code to 1.55 ...

1 week later
#537 11 months ago

1987 code v1.55 has been added, enjoy!

#539 11 months ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Fantastic. Thank you for all the work you do!

I can't take any of the credit with these updates - thanks goes out to the anonymous help as always

#540 11 months ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

1987 code v1.55 has been added, enjoy!

Forgot to mention, it's still Insider Connect compatible

4 months later
#546 7 months ago
Quoted from briyau15:

I’m finally getting around to trying this out. The version of this code doesn’t need to match the current Stern code I am running as the version resides on the SD card, correct?
Meaning, I can just download this version and swap out the SD card? Note I do not have IC on mine.

It doesn't need to match the stern version, but if it doesn't you'll likely trigger node board updates. This is fine.

Note that the 1987 code is an SD card image so you'll either be replacing the stern code or writing it to a fresh SD card.

If you want to back up scores and settings first you can do that with a USB drive and the option in the game utilities to save.

Enjoy!

1 week later
#550 7 months ago
Quoted from briyau15:

I’m debating whether to get IC for my 2 games that don’t have it with TMNT being one. I’ve been successfully running the v1.55 1987 for a couple of week or so now and love it.
I’ve seen previous posts about IC running with no issues so just want to confirm that’s still the case and/or see if anyone even recommends going with IC. The gameplay hasn’t changed with the code so I figure IC achievements would still be applicable.

Yep it still works. I use the 1987 code all the time with IC.

2 weeks later
#552 6 months ago
Quoted from Brad1984:

Hey guys,
I am chasing down Delts custom audio software for my LE, does anyone have a copy they can send me or upload?

I don't have a copy but the last one released was code from years ago so you'd be losing out on quite a bit of Stern code.

For a while, modding music with Pinball Browser had mixed results, but you could try it with the latest Pinball Browser yourself to see if it works.

Another issue you'll have is if you have Stern IC. Getting modded code to work with that is not trivial.

1 week later
#556 6 months ago
Quoted from Brad1984:

Anyone here with the delt code? I am trying to get an updated version made for everyone

Does delt31 still have a copy tucked away somewhere?

1 week later
#558 5 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I just installed this. Seamless, worked fine with an old 8gb card I had laying around, worked first try, zero issue at all so far. Wife LOVES it. Awesome.

Sweet! Love to hear this
Enjoy!!

1 week later
#560 5 months ago
Quoted from Jblock22:

Just got my TMNT Premium and am excited to put this code on there! Looking at the most recent version of it in the thread here and just wanted to ask anyone using it if they've had issues with Insider Connected? We just purchased IC to put in the machine and really like the "added value" it brings and would hate to have to lose it with this code. Hopefully all works well together, though!

I've been rocking the 1987 code with an added IC for over a year and it works great - no problems here.

#566 5 months ago
Quoted from Jblock22:

Oh damn. I didn't realize game came with auto-updates on and it automatically updated itself to the new code. Is it easy enough to roll back or do I now need to wait for them to update the 1987 code to work with 1.56?

Yeah if you make a fresh image of 1.55 1987 code you can use that again.
I recommend backing up scores and settings on a USB stick first. The option is under utils.

#568 5 months ago
Quoted from aaron6920:

I had my game auto update to the new code so I reflashed a SD card back to the 1987 code. The problem is when I went into my game to export the scores in the utilities the old 1987 code wouldn't update it. I am wondering if it is because it is going back? I tried a couple times with selecting all settings and just high scores but neither worked. So I lost my scores but I do have my 87 code back .

I like to think myself as smart but I couldn't figure out how to turn off auto updates just now.
Instead, I went into the Insider Connect menu and I'm only allowing updates between 12:00 and 12:01 (game is never on at that time).

#572 5 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Is this choice gone with the new update?

[quoted image]

When I went into that menu, it was already downloading lol.

#573 5 months ago
Quoted from Jblock22:

Any tutorial or guide you can direct me to that explains how to make a fresh image of 1.55? Just got my first machine so i'm a complete newb

I have an installation video on the first post in this thread that can walk you through that.

1 week later
#576 4 months ago

1.56 1987 code is officially up!
Thanks as always to the behind the scenes help!!

#581 4 months ago
Quoted from Crewey:

Unfortunately not, I've had my TMNT Pro for only a month and have used the 1987 the whole time.
Very curious to hear what the Delt31 sounds were.

I just checked an old link that delt31 sent me a few years ago and unfortunately it doesn't work anymore.
I remember using it a long time ago and the music was taken from from varying sources, but I think mostly video games.
My personal take was that I actually liked the Stern music better. Nothing against delt31 of course.
Nowadays, it's not really feasible to get music or sounds replaced using Pinball Browser. You'll now get random popping noises to any replaced sounds.
The one thing that was cool was having the very original TMNT theme music, but even then, the loop cut was impossible to get right, so you'd hear a gap in the music when it repeated.

All that said, it's not too hard to use Pinball Browser - you should give it a try! Who knows, maybe the sound issues will be overcome.

#584 4 months ago
Quoted from Jblock22:

Hey guys! Hoping you can help me with something, as this is my first time doing any version modding and i thought I followed everything to a T but am having some issues.
Just got the 1987 code for the new 1.56 update. Downloaded and installed the premium/LE version for my prem machine, got it all set with pinball browser and loaded onto my machine. Booted up, looked fine. However, I initally was getting node errors. I waited a bit, turned off and back on, and am still getting 3 "tech alerts" for validation errors.
Reading the initial post, I turned the game off, popped out my 1987 sd card and stuck my original back in the machine to play a couple games which it states should fix those errors. However, now upon booting up my original card I was greeted to a "Game Validation Error, Update SD Card" red banner on my LCD screen. I disregarded for now and played 2 games. Turned off the machine, switched cards back out for the 1987 code card, and am still receiving 3 validation error tech alerts.
The game ~seems~ to play fine, but these errors are annoying and also im not sure if it's effecting anything playwise.
Can anyone help me get this nipped in the bud? The 1987 code looks awesome and I want to be able to play it without issue.
Also, just in case I want to switch it up and go back to the original animations at some point, can anyone tell me why i'm now getting that game validation error when using the original card/code?
Thanks!

Getting rid of the validation errors can take a bit of time.
Make sure you do that completely with a stern card in.

I haven't run into this issue myself, but it is possible that Stern changed the validation code logic. We'll have to keep an eye on this.

#586 4 months ago
Quoted from Jblock22:

Ok, so you're saying to pop the original stern card back in and "play longer"? I played 2 games as stated in the initial thread but honestly that was probably 5 or less minutes. Does that game need to be being played or can I just turn it on, start a game and walk away for 30 minutes? Should I make sure I'm connected to the internet or disconnected?

It's hard for me to remember, I think cabal knows better than me.
But in general, I think you can leave the game on for a while with the Stern code and it should decrease the validation errors.
Once they no longer show up on the Stern code you should be able to swap to the 1987 code.

#588 4 months ago
Quoted from Jblock22:

Thanks!
Ok it looks like I was able to remove all of the validation errors from the 1987 code except for one that just states to update the sd card... do you know if this is a standard validation error that can't be removed due to it being a modified code version? I don't see the error anywhere except in the tech menu and it's the only error remaining after popping the original card back in and playing for about 20 - 30 minutes.
Thanks!

That's weird, I don't think I've seen that one before. I'm not sure what to say except I hope that it doesn't affect gameplay! Maybe it will go away over time?

1 week later
#590 4 months ago
Quoted from Jblock22:

Hey crew just an FYI they released a 1.57 update today that fixed an issue with turtle levels not saving through insider connected and also returned a menu item that lets you reset your turtles levels.

Thanks for the heads up! We've got the updates under test right now and if all looks good I'll get them released soon-ish.

#591 4 months ago

1.57 is up, enjoy!

1 week later
#593 4 months ago
Quoted from cabal:

if you had a wish, what scene would you change in the 1987 image to complete it?

The cowabunga final wizard mode video ... I never did that one.

#595 3 months ago
Quoted from cabal:

will try to search something out. This are the videos that i did find missing:
Cowabunga (Parade with turtle Ballons) 16seconds
Cowabunga Sign (7 Seconds)
cowabunga (parade with turtle ballon front) 4 seconds
Cowabunga Sign (7 Seconds)
Turtle Glider 3 seconds
Turtle Glider2 3 Seconds
Special 4 Seconds.
i am open to suggestions, but search also if i can find something.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm pretty sure I had glider videos at some point.. are they not in the game anymore?

The special video should be the one with Shredder carrying a pizza. Maybe that didn't make the migration either?

#598 3 months ago
Quoted from cabal:

yes you are right the Glider award videos only have been in the Prem\Le Image, i don't think they ever got migrated into newer versions.
Found them.
The special i thought was a video Bump'n'win don't know when this plays.
The special was changed though.
so This leaves the cowabunga.
Not sure if you like it, i tried to make some mocking the stern videos with an older look and feel.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Whoa that's pretty cool you were able to make that!!
I think it's on the right track and it's a pretty cool Easter egg for anyone that makes it to Cowabunga.

2 weeks later
#601 3 months ago

thanks to contributions from @cabal, there have been a few content additions to the latest code: instant info graphics, match videos, glider videos, cowabunga mode. Check it out with the latest download links. Enjoy!

#610 3 months ago
Quoted from Crewey:

As there's been no feedback cabal & daveyvandy just wanted to add myself that the regular updates & striving to improve the existing content is REALLY appreciated! I've only had the PRO a couple of months, and can't imagine I'd love the game half as much if I had to look at the Stern animations. These cartoons are my childhood age 7-10. SO, THANK YOU

Thank you so much for the feedback! This started as a passion project for me and I'm thrilled that so many people have enjoyed it and continue to support it.

2 weeks later
#621 81 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Are the flipper codes supposed to work with the 1987 version? Just want to be sure it’s not user error

Yes they should. I didn't replace any Easter egg videos.

#623 80 days ago
Quoted from cabal:

Original Stern Videl:
6.400 Seconds with 192 frames
1987 Video from Daveyvandy:
6.400 Seconds with 192 frames
what i have seen is that when you change length of the video it will not play properly. and the call outs may not work. Too long and too short is not good.
I think on too short it will not play the callout "Shredder" at all. If it's too long i think it will just be cut a certain point. You can not time the callouts 100% perfect as with overlapping modes and callout of prior they may delay speech in this video.
In my 7.4 video, i will upload the 7.4 gameplay (7.4_seconds_at_Play).
on my 7.4 seconds video if have shredder appearing at 5.467 seconds Frame 164
so i guess he could be a little later Maybe 5.9 or 6.0 but if it will too much to end, there may not be enough frames to show him at all.
hope this helps.

Yeah I was super anal about matching frames exactly with what existed. I also ensured that the new video file was smaller in size.

It was a pain, but I have good memories from the process

1 week later
#625 69 days ago
Quoted from CLTatty:

TLDR - try 1.56 1987 Code if 1.57 doesn't work (LE with 1.57 Stern code installed)
Documenting my efforts to install 1987 Code on a newly acquired LE (automatically updated to Stern's 1.57 Code). I was unsuccessful getting 1.57 1987 Code to install and work. The machine turned on and the code would load, with access to the menu screen and startup animations, but would crash whenever I tried to start any of the game modes. It would freeze immediately when I hit the start button and force a restart. Tried changing multiple game settings to no avail as it froze every time I pressed the start button.
I tried removing Insider Connected hardware and accompanying memory card, installing the code from Mac and PC - using both Pinball Browser (PC) and balenaEtcher (Mac & PC) to flash the SD Card and read/writer that was recommended. I tried and failed to get Pinball Browser to work on Mac using Crossover trial (received an error message). I also tried an internal PC SD writer that also did not work with the 1.57 Code.
I was successful with the 1.56 1987 Code still available using balenaEtcher (Mac). System started up, installed a prior node board version, and was able to start a game. I reinstalled Insider Connect hardware, logged in (home team) and was able to play a game without issues. On startup, machine asked to install 1.57, which I declined. Stern automatic code updates appear to be turned off by default whenever a new flashed SD card is used. Although I uninstalled Insider Connect hardware for my successful attempt, it's not clear whether that mattered.
Along the way when I was testing 1.57 1987 code, I did receive several validation errors that did go away with the machine on. In the Service Menu, you can see what appears to be a timer that increases over time. Although I was unsuccessful getting the 1.57 1987 code to work, I was able to use the standard Stern SD Card and validation errors cleared out after 10-15 minutes. Note that I had Insider Connected hardware/WiFi setup at that time so not sure if that triggered the validation errors. It's also not clear whether it mattered if I had the Stern SD Card or the 1987 SD Card installed when the errors cleared. I have not received any validation errors with the 1.56 1987 code installed.
Also note that when using balenaEtcher, it appears it will flash using the either the Zip version or extracted image file. The version that worked for me was the extracted version.
Much appreciation to daveyvandy and the rest of the posters. My 11 year old is getting a taste of what I loved to watch when I was 11. Hopefully this is helpful to anyone having issues.

Thank you so much for going through all of the troubleshooting. I can't find any issues with what you tried, except that I have personally had issues with Balena Etcher in the past.

When I was developing this code, I had so many failed attempts and I finally tracked it down to etcher. Maybe 25% success rate with it. That's why I recommend pinball browser.

I am curious if other LE or premium owners have similar issues with the 1.57 image.

#631 64 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

First of all thanks for the OP for putting together what sounds like an amazing custom code. However I used pinball browser and also the windows disc to Magee utility and both times when I loaded the code everything starts up but then just freezes and resets when I press start.
I put back in the original stern code loaded and then swapped and tried again and still it froze. Any suggestions? I really like to check this out if I can.

What tmnt model do you have? If it's a premium/LE, you might try using the previous 1987 version (linked on first post). Another user had trouble getting the latest to work.

#634 64 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

It’s a premium version. I tried the 1.57 from the front page here. So maybe try the 1.56? If that doesn’t work I can try to overright the original stern SD card to see if it is the SD cars.

Yeah that's a good plan.
There are also some redone images I'll upload today that you can try.

#636 64 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

cabal sent me a link to code and it worked for my premium. Mine does not have insider connected. I am all good now. Awesome work! Looks great.

Nice! Glad to see that fixed it for you.
I've updated the images linked on the first post now.

Enjoy

2 weeks later
#640 50 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Is there a secret to downloading this on a Mac? I’m having a heck of a time figuring this thing out. I’m not the greatest at this stuff, but normally I figure it out

Yeah I haven't done it on Mac before, but it looks like CLTatty above just did it with Balena Etcher. It's not my favorite program and it is prone to failures but you can certainly try it.

#643 50 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

This look right?
[quoted image]

Yeah, extract is the same as unzip.

#648 49 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I have not. Good idea though. I’ll do that tonight. This 87 code is great

So glad you got it working and you're enjoying it

1 month later
#652 2 days ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

any updates to the 'Back to 1987' code? Just curious if there were any additions or whatever that I currently don't have..although I doubt (for me) anything needs to be changed..it's pretty dope!!!

The latest updates are still on the first post so you should be up to date if you have that version.
I'm glad you enjoy it!

#657 33 hours ago
Quoted from ashmath82:

Anyone in the Chicagoland suburbs have a copy of this I can grab from them? I would obviously pay. My wife and I only have work computers that won't let us download pinball browser to make the download unfortunately. I would really like to to have this for my machine. Please DM me if you are in the burbs. I live in Plainfield IL.

Another thing to consider it is just investing in a very cheap pc. If you look up "stick PC" on amazon, you'll see some gum stick size PCs for around $100. I'm sure you could get much lower than that if you looked around for a used PC in your local area.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tualatin, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveyvandy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-stern-the-1987-code?tu=daveyvandy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.