56.mp4_snapshot_00.00.855 (resized).jpg
55.mp4_snapshot_00.01.371 (resized).jpg
46.mp4_snapshot_00.01.779 (resized).jpg
45.mp4_snapshot_00.01.604 (resized).jpg
44.mp4_snapshot_00.01.889 (resized).jpg
43.mp4_snapshot_00.10.470 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231119_041130796 (resized).jpg
PB2 (resized).jpg
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.
#251 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

yes strange thing, your sd-card proberties still show FAT32 thats not right. After the process you should show 3 additional drives like e: f: g: you will not be able to access this files as they are linux file system.
Even if it could make some trouble have tried the etcher balena?
Have you tried moving files on the SD-Card, to see if the sd-card reader works or the sd-Card itself works? If it is formated like in your picture you should be able to move files onto it.
Do you use your sd-card reader with other cards?

Quoted from daveyvandy:

What card reader are you using?
It's possible that the card reader is not working.
Can you get the standard stern image written onto the sd card? Use this link and follow their instructions.
https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/
If you can get that to work, try writing the 1987 image with the same software that Stern suggests (Balena Etcher).

I’m using the suggested card reader (Anker brand) The Sd card is brand new, I’ve tried 2 cards now.. its so strange. It says it’s writing to the card, takes a while,then the card is empty. Both tries,different cards. Maybe I need to format or reformat the card ? It’s prolly something simple Thanks for all the help. I’ll try to do the stern thing onto one of the cards, see if that’s the issue and try n use there etcher thing . Thanks guys !!

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

I’m using the suggested card reader (Anker brand) The Sd card is brand new, I’ve tried 2 cards now.. its so strange. It says it’s writing to the card, takes a while,then the card is empty. Both tries,different cards. Maybe I need to format or reformat the card ? It’s prolly something simple Thanks for all the help. I’ll try to do the stern thing onto one of the cards, see if that’s the issue and try n use there etcher thing . Thanks guys !!

maybe you could in advance format it and try to move file with the windows explorer on it. To test if it works.
With pinball Browser or the etcher balena it dones not matter if the card is fomated.
The cards are not write protected with the little switch? But i think windows would say it could not write on it.

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

maybe you could in advance format it and try to move file with the windows explorer on it. To test if it works.
With pinball Browser or the etcher balena it dones not matter if the card is fomated.
The cards are not write protected with the little switch? But i think windows would say it could not write on it.

Tried that. I didn’t format the sd card the first couple tries. I almost had it yesterday, brand new card, processed for long time then I got this message..and the weirdest thing, once again, the sd card had lost all its memory. In properties it says empty,but also no longer is a 16gb card

31598EF7-9A71-4AC4-89EC-CBE40A403F54 (resized).jpeg31598EF7-9A71-4AC4-89EC-CBE40A403F54 (resized).jpeg74959F08-1844-4C23-878E-D312673A9E8D (resized).jpeg74959F08-1844-4C23-878E-D312673A9E8D (resized).jpeg
#254 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Tried that. I didn’t format the sd card the first couple tries. I almost had it yesterday, brand new card, processed for long time then I got this message..and the weirdest thing, once again, the sd card had lost all its memory. In properties it says empty,but also no longer is a 16gb card [quoted image][quoted image]

i am getting out of ideas, but try the etcher balena and the standard SD-image from stern. But i am more and more thinking the sd-cardreader is broken, or maybe the usb-port is not good.

#255 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Tried that. I didn’t format the sd card the first couple tries. I almost had it yesterday, brand new card, processed for long time then I got this message..and the weirdest thing, once again, the sd card had lost all its memory. In properties it says empty,but also no longer is a 16gb card [quoted image][quoted image]

I can send you my sd card with the 1987 1.23 code but its for a Pro if you pay what i paid for the card from amazon. I dont like the old cartoon look as much as Sterns work so just PM me if interested.

#256 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I can send you my sd card with the 1987 1.23 code but its for a Pro if you pay what i paid for the card from amazon. I dont like the old cartoon look as much as Sterns work so just PM me if interested.

lol finally got it. Was a very simple mistake I was making. I wasn’t copying the path to pin browser correctly, and that was it. Easy easy. Thanks for the assistance

#257 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

lol finally got it. Was a very simple mistake I was making. I wasn’t copying the path to pin browser correctly, and that was it. Easy easy. Thanks for the assistance

Glad you got it working, I was very confused by the issue you were having!

3 weeks later
#258 3 years ago

So once I have this source code on the machine, am I able to update the code updates from stern normally? Or am I locked in to 1.21?

#259 3 years ago

Really love it. Big thx.
So now is 1.4 out. Will you make a update?

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from retroworld2k:

Really love it. Big thx.

too bad Pinball Browser is broken again with 1.4 Code, it will take some time that it hopefully gets updates to open the new image.

#261 3 years ago

Hopefully soon. It's one of the best community updates I know (together with RFM).

#262 3 years ago
Quoted from SevenEightyRacer:

So once I have this source code on the machine, am I able to update the code updates from stern normally? Or am I locked in to 1.21?

Once you have this code on your machine, you can swap the SD card from Stern with this one without any issues.
Do not attempt software updates from Stern onto the 1987 code SD card, it will not work.

So for example: card 1 has Stern 1.23 code on it, card 2 has 1987 1.23 code on it.
* you can update to 1.40 code from Stern on the Stern SD only
* updates to 1.40 code on the 1987 version requires a full image download from this forum and will re-write everything (including high scores and settings) when you write to the card again. (you can save high scores and settings first using the built-in option on the pinball diagnostics settings).

#263 3 years ago

Really love it. Big thx.

With help from @cabal, we are making an update without the use of Pinball Browser
I need to make 22 new videos, so give me about a week.

#264 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

With help from cabal, we are making an update without the use of Pinball Browser
I need to make 22 new videos, so give me about a week.

Will delt's music be in this upcoming update?

#265 3 years ago
Quoted from SevenEightyRacer:

Will delt's music be in this upcoming update?

no i am sorry sound is not possible for me to include.
This can only do the magic of oga83

The TMNT Code is setup up in way that Videos and Existing scenes done with prior editions of code and Pinball Browser can be migrated with "simple" file manipulation (copy, overwrite...), but this also depends how the progammer set up the enviroment. But with TMNT it works.
The Problem with sound is that it is encoded into one big file and i haven't figured out out how.

#266 3 years ago

v1.41 is up!
HUGE thanks to cabal for doing the magic to make this happen without Pinball Browser (since it is not compatible with the latest firmware).
Half Shell Challenge videos have been added

#267 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

v1.41 is up!
HUGE thanks to cabal for doing the magic to make this happen without Pinball Browser (since it is not compatible with the latest firmware).
Half Shell Challenge videos have been added

Awesome! Thanks fellas!

#268 3 years ago

Thx for all the work. Videos are great again. Only one video I would change. Maybe at the end of the new mini mode something from this birthday party.

Only an idea.

Maik

#269 3 years ago

Thx for all the work. Videos are great again. Only one video I would change. Maybe at the end of the new mini mode something from this birthday party.

Only an idea.
Maik

Hey thanks that's actually a great clip! Will make some changes and put up a v2 in the next few days.

#270 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Once you have this code on your machine, you can swap the SD card from Stern with this one without any issues.
Do not attempt software updates from Stern onto the 1987 code SD card, it will not work.
So for example: card 1 has Stern 1.23 code on it, card 2 has 1987 1.23 code on it.
* you can update to 1.40 code from Stern on the Stern SD only
* updates to 1.40 code on the 1987 version requires a full image download from this forum and will re-write everything (including high scores and settings) when you write to the card again. (you can save high scores and settings first using the built-in option on the pinball diagnostics settings).

I updated yesterday to 1.41 on the non-stern sd, lost the 1987 animations,but successfully updated the code. Will I be able to add the 1987 animations onto the non-stern sd card after your done the new videos ? Or are you saying I need to use the stern sd card for the new code with 1987 mod? Sorry for the confusion,love the work your doing! Thank you !

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Hey thanks that's actually a great clip! Will make some changes and put up a v2 in the next few days.

Would be nice. Then it's for me perfect.

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

I updated yesterday to 1.41 on the non-stern sd, lost the 1987 animations,but successfully updated the code. Will I be able to add the 1987 animations onto the non-stern sd card after your done the new videos ? Or are you saying I need to use the stern sd card for the new code with 1987 mod? Sorry for the confusion,love the work your doing! Thank you !

updating the code with the usb update version will overwrite all animations.
You will need to load the complete 1987 image from 1st page and put it on a sd-card. After this replace the sd-card in the Pinball with the new one.
Or you can overwrite the one in the machine. I Personaly prefer the switching method. You should be able to use every sd-card that has the right specs. It should be at least 8GB.

with pinball browser that was used before and new way it is much easier to modify the whold sd-card image instead of the update package. Thats the reason only the whole sd-card image is distributed.

#273 3 years ago

Only an idea.
Maik

New version using this suggested video is up (replacing the previous 1.41 link).
Thank you for the recommendation.

#274 3 years ago

Any chance to add the 1987 theme song back in? Just updated and noticed that its missing now. Went back to the weird stern one.

#275 3 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Any chance to add the 1987 theme song back in? Just updated and noticed that its missing now. Went back to the weird stern one.

Only once Pinball Browser is compatible.
According to @cabal, the music is all encrypted as one big file, so using his method we cannot change the music.

#276 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Only once Pinball Browser is compatible.
According to cabal, the music is all encrypted as one big file, so using his method we cannot change the music.

Ahh.. damn that encryption!

#277 3 years ago

yes pinball browser 7.70 is out with tmnt 1.41 compatility.

#278 3 years ago

Just made some minor tweaks and uploaded.
* Fixed missing screen for final battle intro
* Removed wonky text shadow on training level 2 complete screen

Pinball Browser is now compatible again with the latest TMNT firmware, however the sound imports are not quite working.
Once it is working again, I will add the 1987 theme song back in.

#279 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Just made some minor tweaks and uploaded.
* Fixed missing screen for final battle intro
* Removed wonky text shadow on training level 2 complete screen
Pinball Browser is now compatible again with the latest TMNT firmware, however the sound imports are not quite working.
Once it is working again, I will add the 1987 theme song back in.

I think I know the answer but I downloaded this last night. I assume you didn’t have this up when I downloaded so I need to download the one today, correct?

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I think I know the answer but I downloaded this last night. I assume you didn’t have this up when I downloaded so I need to download the one today, correct?

Yes, I did the latest update this morning around 10AM EST.
Hopefully now that I have them zipped the download times are much shorter!

#281 3 years ago

I think I'm jumping into the chat a bit late. If possible, when all of your guys hard work is completed can I too get the new 1987 code. I'm not sure if I'm reaching out to the correct person or not. Or if someone can point me in the right direction of who to PM. I'm super pumped up after seeing the previous clips. I purchased an SD Card and my brother in law said he can help me out with getting the file/code written to the SD card for me. Thank you guys all so much. I'm new to Pinside. Such a great resource and community.

Any Info is greatly appreciated.

I currently feel lost like I'm not reaching out correctly.

#282 3 years ago
Quoted from R_P_M:

I think I'm jumping into the chat a bit late. If possible, when all of your guys hard work is completed can I too get the new 1987 code. I'm not sure if I'm reaching out to the correct person or not. Or if someone can point me in the right direction of who to PM. I'm super pumped up after seeing the previous clips. I purchased an SD Card and my brother in law said he can help me out with getting the file/code written to the SD card for me. Thank you guys all so much. I'm new to Pinside. Such a great resource and community.
Any Info is greatly appreciated.
I currently feel lost like I'm not reaching out correctly.

Hello and welcome to pinside, you're going to love it here! I'm honored that your first post is in this thread

Visit the first post in this thread for all of the links for the firmware, and the video on how to install. The only new thing to note since I made an installation video is that you must extract the firmware once you download it (it is in a .zip archive). Let me know if you have any questions.

#283 3 years ago

Thank you so much. I'll get in contact with my brother In-Law and see of her has any questions. I really appreciate the response. That was quick.

Happy to be part of the community.

2 weeks later
#284 3 years ago

Hate asking questions as if I were a Newb but this has me stumped. I've downloaded 1.41 from the updated 1st post in this thread. I've loaded it in Pinball Browser and at the end I get a Firmware Error...am I missing something?

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from earflaps:

Hate asking questions as if I were a Newb but this has me stumped. I've downloaded 1.41 from the updated 1st post in this thread. I've loaded it in Pinball Browser and at the end I get a Firmware Error...am I missing something?

Did you extract it first?
Make sure you are flashing with the '.raw' file in Pinball Browser.
If it is the '.zip' file, you have to extract that first.
I started zipping the file so that downloads would be faster for everyone.
After extracting, follow the instruction video for any parts that you may be missing.

If you cannot get Pinball Browser to work for some reason, you could also try 'Win32DiskImager'.

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Did you extract it first?
Make sure you are flashing with the '.raw' file in Pinball Browser.
If it is the '.zip' file, you have to extract that first.
I started zipping the file so that downloads would be faster for everyone.
After extracting, follow the instruction video for any parts that you may be missing.
If you cannot get Pinball Browser to work for some reason, you could also try 'Win32DiskImager'.

I had downloaded a copy a few weeks ago and never got around to copying it to a proper SD Card as I didn't have one at the time. For some reason, all that I had was an *.spk file with the appropriate file name. However, I just went back to your 1st post in this thread and I'm seeing it's a *.zip. I'm downloading it now and I think that should fix the issue I was having. Not sure how I got that file in my Download folder? Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes...and thanks for the quick reply Davey.

#287 3 years ago

Got it! Much easier when you have the right file. Worked just like it was supposed to.

Very nice work Davey...brings back memories. Thank you!

3 weeks later
#288 3 years ago

New 1.41 version updated to fix the missing final battle intro speech.
Thanks to cabal for the expert work!

Pro tested working.
If anyone tries 1.41 premium/LE let me know if it works (loads and you can play a game and fixes the final battle speech).

#289 3 years ago

Awesome! SO you guys even fixed the missing final battle intro before the Stern code did? You rock!

#290 3 years ago

Does this change any of the sounds? Like using the original version of the theme song?

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Does this change any of the sounds? Like using the original version of the theme song?

No it does not change the other sounds unfortunately.

#292 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

No it does not change the other sounds unfortunately.

I actually really like the sounds in the game, I think Stern did a great job with it. But I would prefer the proper original theme, other than that, I have no real concerns.

1 week later
#293 3 years ago

Can this be done on a Mac OS? Or is Windows OS required for all the applications and extractions?

#294 3 years ago
Quoted from pldubya43:

Can this be done on a Mac OS? Or is Windows OS required for all the applications and extractions?

If you are talking about pinball browser, some people have it running on Mac from what i have seen.
The free version you should be able to test everything. Except exporting/importing Videos, Scenes and Long sounds. I think you can handle sounds under 5seconds in the free version. Best would be a visit in the Pinball Browser tread to check out. I think they are using crossover? or something like this.

TMNT specific. Importing sounds does not work right with the new version (PC and Mac). Some have tried and the sounds in gameplay are not very good.

does this make sense?

#295 3 years ago
Quoted from pldubya43:

If you are talking about writing the SD card image to an SD card you "should" be able to do that on any operating system as long as the program you are using can take the SD card image as an input.
I have not tried this on a mac, but you could start with https://www.balena.io/etcher/ since it works for mac too.
This specific program tends to fail for me randomly even when verifying data - the write process 'looks' successful, but the card just reboots endlessly when used in the TMNT pinball machine. If that happens, try writing again a few times and it probably would work.

#296 3 years ago
Quoted from pldubya43:

If you have a disk image (like this code) you don't need any special software at all on OSX, you can just run dd from the terminal.

For example,

See all block devices:
diskutil list

Umount the sd card you want:
sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2

Copy the image:
sudo dd bs=1m if=turtles_prem_le-1_41.ReleaseV4.16G.sdcard.1987.raw of=/dev/rdisk2

Notes:
1) Be sure you actually have the right device "/dev/disk2" in my case, so you don't destroy your hard drive.
2) The "r" in the "rdisk2" is not a typo in the dd command. It is raw access and goes way faster.

1 month later
#297 3 years ago

Update for anyone who cares:
I tried getting the original theme song onto v1.41 using the latest Pinball Browser update (7.80) to see if it works with TMNT again.
Unfortunately, it does not quite work.
Putting the theme song onto the image somehow disables the music that plays during the first ball and there were some other weird quirks.
Based on what the dev is saying in the Pinball Browser forum post, the codecs used are not always the same from game to game and his insider for help is no longer available.
Long story short, it looks like replacing music is not yet working.

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Update for anyone who cares:
I tried getting the original theme song onto v1.41 using the latest Pinball Browser update (7.80) to see if it works with TMNT again.
Unfortunately, it does not quite work.
Putting the theme song onto the image somehow disables the music that plays during the first ball and there were some other weird quirks.
Based on what the dev is saying in the Pinball Browser forum post, the codecs used are not always the same from game to game and his insider for help is no longer available.
Long story short, it looks like replacing music is not yet working.

Noooooooooo Hopefully eventually there will be a fix! Thanks for checking!

#299 2 years ago

Loaded this on my Pro tonight. It crashed during my first game. I started Turtle Power Multiball, then the Michael Angelo (red) weapon hurry up, then I think put a 3rd ball into the Pizza Parlor when it crashed. Game froze, then restarted with the sound back at level 18 instead of 8 where I had it. Not sure if it reset pricing as well (l like to coin up for the extra sound effects and arcade feel!). The second game worked fine although way too quickly.

Any thoughts about what caused the crash?

#300 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Loaded this on my Pro tonight. It crashed during my first game. I started Turtle Power Multiball, then the Michael Angelo (red) weapon hurry up, then I think put a 3rd ball into the Pizza Parlor when it crashed. Game froze, then restarted with the sound back at level 18 instead of 8 where I had it. Not sure if it reset pricing as well (l like to coin up for the extra sound effects and arcade feel!). The second game worked fine although way too quickly.
Any thoughts about what caused the crash?

Crashes during turtle power multi-ball are very rare and happen even on the original stern code. Whenever I had that happen, it was usually on the first game after writing the software to the card.

The fact that it set your volume level to 18 is suspect though. If you have any other weird behavior, I would suggest writing to the SD card again. Try using another method like win32diskimager if you plan to write the data to the SD card again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

10,500 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tualatin, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-stern-the-1987-code/page/6?hl=daveyvandy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.