New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 276649)

TMNT (Stern) - The 1987 Code

By daveyvandy

87 days ago

Topic Stats

• 257 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by daveyvandy
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 33 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

74959F08-1844-4C23-878E-D312673A9E8D (resized).jpeg
31598EF7-9A71-4AC4-89EC-CBE40A403F54 (resized).jpeg
9FBC8348-996F-4D83-94E4-D46D9D6B0B40 (resized).jpeg
06FF55B3-792E-4E7B-B64E-F4D84B8E5814 (resized).jpeg
D9C4AB1F-B61D-4F83-BAD6-58E87E104726 (resized).jpeg
7CF25426-7CAA-4150-926C-2138A342CA90 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20201111_211800078 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
77950E24-ECCC-42E6-AB12-E5FD3F480015 (resized).jpeg
75B990CC-B588-4B5D-B685-E3CB5FB98BD9 (resized).jpeg
Zb1r2ujQNgnKq1PsQBUThwFIG0lHlBh9SLu9UytEHrI (resized).jpg
PXL_20200920_125231889 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200920_125228903 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200920_125227385 (resized).jpg
PXL_20200920_125223500 (resized).jpg
sd card (resized).PNG

There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 27 days ago

hey guys , this code is the best thanks so much keep up the good work!!!!!

#202 24 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Yeah you can't ever take a stern update and apply it to the sd card with the 1987 code on it.
Unfortunately, we just have to wait for pinball browser to be compatible with the latest updates before I can make any updates to the latest version. It stopped working on TMNT version 1.21.

Was considering trying out this awesome looking 1987 code (thanks for making it!). Just to confirm, you are saying it is current as of Stern code 1.21 and no plans yet to update 1987 code to new Stern code due to pinball browser software? Thanks!

#203 24 days ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Was considering trying out this awesome looking 1987 code (thanks for making it!). Just to confirm, you are saying it is current as of Stern code 1.21 and no plans yet to update 1987 code to new Stern code due to pinball browser software? Thanks!

Yes too bad stern did change something that prevents opening newer code with pinball browser.
with enough knowledge i think you could mount the sd-card into a linux system and change the videos. But the music, sounds, texts and everything else is all in one big file. And i think they changed how the file is setup, or they introduced encryption.

#204 23 days ago
Quoted from cabal:

Yes too bad stern did change something that prevents opening newer code with pinball browser.
with enough knowledge i think you could mount the sd-card into a linux system and change the videos. But the music, sounds, texts and everything else is all in one big file. And i think they changed how the file is setup, or they introduced encryption.

Nooooooooo . That sucks. Stern , come on ! This, and now the 1k topper .

#205 23 days ago

Hi guys thats what i have done now:
extracted the videos from 1987 version.
i put a 1.23 image on a new SD-Drive and connect it via usb converter to a raspberry.
I mounted the drive and changed to the video folder on the sd-card.
turtles_pro\assets\lcd\auto_loaded\60ed7e5036b8ce09d35a3e101ea6fc1380b37d97\scene.assets\2.asset
and pasted the changed videos back in.
well it seems to be working some kind. The videos changed, but of course the music and scenes did not change also.
but i am not sure anymore what was changed in the original 1987 file.
Like lair, and ball save are still stern videos. I think i remember they were changed.
so it's a kind a half baked version, the music was of course a big part of 1987 feeling.

I think how stern works is, if they change a video, they do not change the video itself but just put a new one in.
Like they want change the video 187.asset. Instead of replacing it the put e.g. a video 322.asset in and change the program code.
So every video that was messed with will not be modified, by just overwriting existing files with the same file name.

i haven't found an easy way to it all on windows, i did not find a tool that can open the ext4 linux partitions for writing in windows. Thats why i took the way with the raspberry.

#206 23 days ago

Nice move.
We would need to list all changes to perform. That's feasible then!

#207 23 days ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Nice move.
We would need to list all changes to perform. That's feasible then!

what i checked is that in 1.23 only the videos for the new mode were added. (Neutrino Pizza Party)
when i got some time i will look a little further into it and what may be done.

but there is still the big problem of the big file were everything is combined, scenes, music, sounds, images.
with this method we will not be able to modify it and still have to pray and wait for oga83.

#208 23 days ago

i did a recheck. and some bad news. the names of the videos did change more.
in the video folders videos are like 0.asset -> 293.asset in the 1.21 software.
in 1.23 it is 0.asset -> 320.asset
until 40.asset they are the same but from there on videos are put in and the numbering begins to differ.
the video 41.asset in 1.21 is 45.asset in 1.23. 42.asset to 44.asset were added and pushed the other videos back.
So a simple like overwrite like i did will not work. The Videos need to be remapped and maybe the pushed in videos replace with 1987 format.

#209 23 days ago
Quoted from cabal:

i did a recheck. and some bad news. the names of the videos did change more.
in the video folders videos are like 0.asset -> 293.asset in the 1.21 software.
in 1.23 it is 0.asset -> 320.asset
until 40.asset they are the same but from there on videos are put in and the numbering begins to differ.
the video 41.asset in 1.21 is 45.asset in 1.23. 42.asset to 44.asset were added and pushed the other videos back.
So a simple like overwrite like i did will not work. The Videos need to be remapped and maybe the pushed in videos replace with 1987 format.

This is actually pretty cool! It would take some manual work to map the videos to the new locations but it is certainly possible. Like you said though, the images would not be possible without pinball browser (character select screen, static loop with awards, mode intro screens). That would be a good intermediary though without pinball browser.

#210 23 days ago

i think i remapped the videos now,
but i wanted to move the videos from 1987 into the new test sd-card, but i messed up and copied the 1.21 files, so there was not much difference.
But i had the best game ever. When you only for short want to test something out, the game just never ends, end you get the highscore of your life

did write a batch to rename the files, and then i can just copy them over.
but i will test it out tomorrow with the right files.

#211 22 days ago

ahh couldn't wait until tomorrow, i tested it now. The mapping seems to be 90% OK. i have seen the attract mode video is wrong with my mapping.
An a funny thing happened with the lair background video. As this is theme there is the overlay of the little monitor. It's still put in in, looks strange but funny.
But i got the lair, ball save video showed ok.
I started 3 modes and ninja pizza multiball, extra ball looked all ok.

playing the feeling like with the 1987 image before did not hop over as easily. The music and the whole setup is so much more fine tuned and looks so much more complete in the 1987 image.

but maybe this than nothing for now.

#212 22 days ago

Thanks for your efforts

#213 22 days ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Thanks for your efforts

well most of the work did daveyvandy and delt31
i have done some video replacement myself and i know what work it is.

still need some time for the mapping, then you would need to do it 3 times for pro, prem and le.
I think the mapping will be the same on all 3 images, as i understand all videos are in all images. glider videos are in the pro image.

will get back again, when i have the mapping complete.

#214 22 days ago
Quoted from cabal:

well most of the work did daveyvandy and delt31
i have done some video replacement myself and i know what work it is.
still need some time for the mapping, then you would need to do it 3 times for pro, prem and le.
I think the mapping will be the same on all 3 images, as i understand all videos are in all images. glider videos are in the pro image.
will get back again, when i have the mapping complete.

Awesome work, I'd be happy to give you the new videos for the new mode once I make them. The attract video I would recommend keeping as the original Stern one since we can't remove the images that overlay it. Also, the premium and LE share the same firmware so you only need to do two images

#215 22 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Awesome work, I'd be happy to give you the new videos for the new mode once I make them. The attract video I would recommend keeping as the original Stern one since we can't remove the images that overlay it. Also, the premium and LE share the same firmware so you only need to do two images

there is an tool diskternals linux reader. With this you would be able to access the images for readonly.
You could look into the linux partitions and export the original videos. You can see lenght, framerate.... and you could create videos with the same information.
Problem without PB the videos would need to be created manualy, there is no automatic upload and conversion anymore.
all Videos that i do not have in my mapping will be new ones, or i could give a list.

#216 22 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

here is the list of videos that are new and maybe would need a 1987 flair:
44.asset
43.asset
42.asset
41.asset
40.asset
319.asset
313.asset
312.asset
311.asset
310.asset
309.asset
308.asset
307.asset
306.asset
305.asset
304.asset
303.asset
302.asset
301.asset
300.asset
299.asset
298.asset
297.asset
296.asset
195.asset
194.asset
193.asset
192.asset
191.asset
190.asset
189.asset
188.asset
187.asset
183.asset

they should be in the folder:
turtles_pro\assets\lcd\auto_loaded\60ed7e5036b8ce09d35a3e101ea6fc1380b37d97\scene.assets\2.asset
of the 1.23 image. And i found the error in my mapping. Next test.
i am so proud i can help and contribute in your great work

pasted_image (resized).png
#217 21 days ago

My game finally arrives today. Quick ? How can I get the 1.21 code on the machine if it comes shipped with the new code. I went to sterns website and I only see version 1.23 available. Am I correct in assuming that when running 1987 code I will need to always ensure the correct sd card is lined up with the correct code. So 1.21 pairs with 1987 sd card and new updated 1.23 code will work with the default stern sd card in theory. Thanks for the help

#218 21 days ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

My game finally arrives today. Quick ? How can I get the 1.21 code on the machine if it comes shipped with the new code. I went to sterns website and I only see version 1.23 available. Am I correct in assuming that when running 1987 code I will need to always ensure the correct sd card is lined up with the correct code. So 1.21 pairs with 1987 sd card and new updated 1.23 code will work with the default stern sd card in theory. Thanks for the help

yup. Pretty sure that’s how it works. I have a separate sd with 1987 code , and original sd with stern code. Can go back n forth ummm pretty sure. Lose all your high scores and settings tho

#219 21 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

yup. Pretty sure that’s how it works. I have a separate sd with 1987 code , and original sd with stern code. Can go back n forth ummm pretty sure. Lose all your high scores and settings tho

you can back up the highscore and settings in the utlities menue to usb stick (save and load). After card change just load settings and everything is back.
With a 3feet usb cable you can route board usb to the coindoor in front. but i have do admit, i just leave the usb stick plugged in.

#220 21 days ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

I believe you can copy the 1.23 code link from Stern website and change the 3 to a 1 should work.

#221 21 days ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I believe you can copy the 1.23 code link from Stern website and change the 3 to a 1 should work.

just tried it. I think you can always go one version back:
https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/gamecode/turtles_pro-1_23_0.Release.8G.sdcard.raw.zip
if i change this this to:
https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/gamecode/turtles_pro-1_21_0.Release.8G.sdcard.raw.zip
it does not work, but it does with 1.22 version:
https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/gamecode/turtles_pro-1_22_0.Release.8G.sdcard.raw.zip

But you can switch sd-cards, i have tested out. You can have one sd-card with 1987 code (based on 1.21) and another sd-card with 1.23.
with each switch there will be nodeboard update, but it will work after this.

But hopefully we can have a 1987 1.23 version soon. At least with the videos. we are just trying to do this without pinball browser.

#222 19 days ago

That is encouraging. Maybe I will just be patient and wait. Do you think the audio could ever be added or have they pretty much put an end to all that? That was the main reason I was attracted to it in the first place. Wish you guys the best of luck in cracking the code.

#223 19 days ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

That is encouraging. Maybe I will just be patient and wait. Do you think the audio could ever be added or have they pretty much put an end to all that? That was the main reason I was attracted to it in the first place. Wish you guys the best of luck in cracking the code.

i think this depends on the maker of Pinball Browser. Yes adds a lot to the 1987 feeling.
The videos are done by daveyvandy, he now has do new videos manually, there is no easy conversion. The rest is doing a mapping of the existing videos and replaceing the files on the sd-card. This are standard file operations. A video will be on the sdcard and be replaced with a similar one.
The sounds is another thing. All sounds, images, texts and so on are in big file. I lack the knowledge to get into this. It's either encrypted or put together in a strange way. so we have wait and pray for oga83. But it seems stern is doing a lot to prevent access to the files. And i would guess if the spike2 boards have enough performace they will even encrypt videos on the long run.

#224 17 days ago

So I have been working with cabal on the side to make version 1.23 without pinball browser. We were basically done, then it looked like pinball browser got an update to work with 1.23!
Either way it's good news for everyone. I'll get out the new version sometime in the next few days.

#225 17 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

So I have been working with cabal on the side to make version 1.23 without pinball browser. We were basically done, then it looked like pinball browser got an update to work with 1.23!
Either way it's good news for everyone. I'll get out the new version sometime in the next few days.

That is fantastic news, thanks so much for the hard work!

#226 17 days ago

Good news and thanks for the effort

#227 15 days ago

1.23 is up - see first post for the links!
I would appreciate if someone with a Premium / LE could confirm that the 1.23 image is working
Good luck getting to Neutrino Pizza Party!
PXL_20201111_211800078 (resized).jpg

#228 14 days ago

This is awesome! Thanks so much for all your hard work!

I played a joke on my wife... told her to come play a game and see what was different. She didn't notice at first... she was looking all over the playfield for something I changed. She was floored when she saw the old cartoons playing!

#229 14 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

1.23 is up - see first post for the links!
I would appreciate if someone with a Premium / LE could confirm that the 1.23 image is working
Good luck getting to Neutrino Pizza Party!
[quoted image]

V1.23 with '87 code: So far, so good on my Pro. Thanks for sacrificing so much of your time to help us all experience another level of this game.

#230 14 days ago
Quoted from CKrueger:

This is awesome! Thanks so much for all your hard work!
I played a joke on my wife... told her to come play a game and see what was different. She didn't notice at first... she was looking all over the playfield for something I changed. She was floored when she saw the old cartoons playing!

Ha! That is awesome. I did the same thing to my 4-year-old and it took her a while too

#231 13 days ago

I am awaiting a new SD Card tomorrow morning

I will try the new version in my LE and report back

Thank you so much for your efforts and creativity on this project

#232 13 days ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

I am awaiting a new SD Card tomorrow morning
I will try the new version in my LE and report back
Thank you so much for your efforts and creativity on this project

I have it on my LE and it works great. We love the old cartoon and the turtle select looks perfect now. Awesome update

#233 13 days ago

Thank you for confirming!

#234 13 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Thank you for confirming!

No problem, We have probably put 20 games on it with your update and I haven’t seen any issues. Thanks for all your hard work!

#235 13 days ago

Yes the LE boots and flips

Enjoying the new animations for sure

Very fitting for the game

Couple things from previous code are missed but totally worth the upgrade

I saved the 1.21 on a separate card if I had to revert but 1.23 is solid effort

Bravo !!

Thanks again

#236 9 days ago

This is amazing great work!!

#237 8 days ago

deleted

#238 7 days ago

Can I not use the same sd card as I did before for the 1.21 code? I reformatted it, it still says as turtles and only has 8gb instead of 16. I’m so confused ! Haha. The folder is empty. I gotta buy a another sd ? That’s fine,but maybe Im just doing something wrong ? Sorry .

7CF25426-7CAA-4150-926C-2138A342CA90 (resized).jpeg
#239 7 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

Can I not use the same sd card as I did before for the 1.21 code? I reformatted it, it still says as turtles and only has 8gb instead of 16. I’m so confused ! Haha. The folder is empty. I gotta buy a another sd ? That’s fine,but maybe Im just doing something wrong ? Sorry .
[quoted image]

i think it's the same with 1.21 code, this was called too 16GB but should fit on a 8GB SD-Card. I have put the code on a 1.23 8gb card but have not tested it.
When everything went ok with sdcard you should see three drives that you can not access and windows will ask if it should format it. You are putting linux partitions on the sd-card that windows can not read. Thats why its asking, you should not format if asked.
just use like descriped in the first mail Pinball-Browser to put the image on the sd-card and test it out.
Belena Etcher like descriped on the stern site makes for some people problems. So i would keep it on the save and use Pinball-Browser to write the image to the sd-card.

#240 6 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

[quoted image]

If you really want to force it onto an 8gb card you can use Win32 disk imager. This may or may not work, and I do not recommend it since some people might accidentally write over their original SD card from Stern since that one is 8 gb.

However, you should just be able to write to your 16 gb SD card with pinball browser without any problems.

#241 6 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

If you really want to force it onto an 8gb card you can use Win32 disk imager. This may or may not work, and I do not recommend it since some people might accidentally write over their original SD card from Stern since that one is 8 gb.
However, you should just be able to write to your 16 gb SD card with pinball browser without any problems.

Soo. I can’t seem to download the updated pin browser, this seems to be my problem. . I wish I was better at computers. I wasn’t trying to use an 8gb card, my 16gb I used previously has somehow turned into 8gb after reformatting it , I know it’s 16gb, sats it on it, but in properties etc it’s now an 8gb card. So I bought a new 16gb card. Somehow I cannot seem to update pin browser now. Zip file doesn’t want too open. I click run in administrator, nothing happens . Ahhhh

#242 5 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

Soo. I can’t seem to download the updated pin browser, this seems to be my problem. . I wish I was better at computers. I wasn’t trying to use an 8gb card, my 16gb I used previously has somehow turned into 8gb after reformatting it , I know it’s 16gb, sats it on it, but in properties etc it’s now an 8gb card. So I bought a new 16gb card. Somehow I cannot seem to update pin browser now. Zip file doesn’t want too open. I click run in administrator, nothing happens . Ahhhh

Try to get the latest version from the pinball browser forum thread.
If you're having trouble with writing it in pinball browser, you can try Balena Etcher or Win32 disk imager.

#243 5 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

Also how did you format the card? You shouldn't have to format it but it is possible that if you formatted it incorrectly it lowered the readable amount of space. Do you remember what file structure you used? Like exFat or FAT32 or NTFS?

#244 5 days ago

I installed the code tonight. Working great! Thanks for sharing!

#245 4 days ago

I’m terrible at computers (decent at pinball tho. What am I doing wrong? Third try here, processes for like 7-10min, then the sd card is empty after ??! Brand new sd card, not formatted , 16gb
I just want it to work. Sorry fir my ignorance with pc and programs and downloads etc! I commend you guys for all your hard work (including helping this clueless Canadian). Pictures here , hopefully this time it works !!

06FF55B3-792E-4E7B-B64E-F4D84B8E5814 (resized).jpegD9C4AB1F-B61D-4F83-BAD6-58E87E104726 (resized).jpeg
#246 4 days ago

I’ll be streaming this tonight at 10est. Come say hey!

JustAnotherPinballStream on twitch

#247 4 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

I’m terrible at computers (decent at pinball tho. What am I doing wrong? Third try here, processes for like 7-10min, then the sd card is empty after ??! Brand new sd card, not formatted , 16gb
I just want it to work. Sorry fir my ignorance with pc and programs and downloads etc! I commend you guys for all your hard work (including helping this clueless Canadian). Pictures here , hopefully this time it works !!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Let it go to 100%. It should take about 10-15 minutes. You won't be able to see the files on it on your computer. After you let it go to 100%, make sure you safely eject it by right-clicking the drive in my computer and pressing eject. Then insert it into your pinball machine. I have a video for the installation instructions on my first post if that helps.

#248 4 days ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Let it go to 100%. It should take about 10-15 minutes. You won't be able to see the files on it on your computer. After you let it go to 100%, make sure you safely eject it by right-clicking the drive in my computer and pressing eject. Then insert it into your pinball machine. I have a video for the installation instructions on my first post if that helps.

Quoted from daveyvandy:

I followed your video each time, worked before fine. But man, I can’t seem to get it on the sd . Takes 10-15 min , but the card is still empty, like no space used at all. Ive tried 2 cards now. It seems like it should be simple. But it’s not working fir me . I’ll eventually get it I’m
Sure. Just struggling.. thanks for your hard work
But like ya,super weird.

9FBC8348-996F-4D83-94E4-D46D9D6B0B40 (resized).jpeg
#249 4 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

I followed your video each time, worked before fine. But man, I can’t seem to get it on the sd . Takes 10-15 min , but the card is still empty, like no space used at all. Ive tried 2 cards now. It seems like it should be simple. But it’s not working fir me . I’ll eventually get it I’m
But like ya,super weird.
[quoted image]

yes strange thing, your sd-card proberties still show FAT32 thats not right. After the process you should show 3 additional drives like e: f: g: you will not be able to access this files as they are linux file system.
Even if it could make some trouble have tried the etcher balena?
Have you tried moving files on the SD-Card, to see if the sd-card reader works or the sd-Card itself works? If it is formated like in your picture you should be able to move files onto it.
Do you use your sd-card reader with other cards?

#250 4 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

But like ya,super weird.
[quoted image]

What card reader are you using?
It's possible that the card reader is not working.

Can you get the standard stern image written onto the sd card? Use this link and follow their instructions.
https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/
If you can get that to work, try writing the 1987 image with the same software that Stern suggests (Balena Etcher).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside