56.mp4_snapshot_00.00.855 (resized).jpg
55.mp4_snapshot_00.01.371 (resized).jpg
46.mp4_snapshot_00.01.779 (resized).jpg
45.mp4_snapshot_00.01.604 (resized).jpg
44.mp4_snapshot_00.01.889 (resized).jpg
43.mp4_snapshot_00.10.470 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231119_041130796 (resized).jpg
PB2 (resized).jpg

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Any luck getting the 1987 code with delt music?
The link from delt for some reason never works on my computer i can’t get it to compress.
However didn’t have any issues with the 1987 code

Use WinRAR. You need to decompress it. First I've heard anyone having issues

#152 3 years ago

I can't get either version with or without music to work. After it writes to the sd card it never says stern boot. Even when I do try it in the game everything stays black. Tried all the different applications. Not sure what I'm doing wrong .

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

I can't get either version with or without music to work. After it writes to the sd card it never says stern boot. Even when I do try it in the game everything stays black. Tried all the different applications. Not sure what I'm doing wrong .

Hmm, what hardware are you using to write the image and what sd card?
Maybe try the suggested ones in my installation video?

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Hmm, what hardware are you using to write the image and what sd card?
Maybe try the suggested ones in my installation video?

For delts combo code I'm using win32img.
For the original video code pinball browser.
Once it finishes writing it never says stern boot.
I'm using the exact usb/sd setup you recommended and I followed the video.

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

So the only difference is between your setup and mine would be the PC and potentially the image.

Can you try writing the image from another PC?

The image may be corrupted when you download it.
Try downloading with another browser or maybe if you have virus protection software it may be interfering with it?

Are you able to see the videos on the video tab when you load the firmware in pinball browser?
Another note, make sure you are not opening the firmware in pinball browser before writing it to the image.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

One more thought, it's possible that the USB port you are plugged into is finicky.

Try plugging the card writer into another USB port directly into your PC.

#157 3 years ago

Hi there mates, I´ve just "installed" it, and works awesome, but I found something a bit annoying. When the knocker hits, the speakers do a bit and loud "interference", for a milisecond, like when you switch on/off a machine. Anyone having this problem? Thanks in advance. Superbe job!!!

Added over 3 years ago:

EDIT: I´ve performed a full power cycle, and now seems to work, didnt know what happened before!

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from ViNsEDj:

Hi there mates, I´ve just "installed" it, and works awesome, but I found something a bit annoying. When the knocker hits, the speakers do a bit and loud "interference", for a milisecond, like when you switch on/off a machine. Anyone having this problem? Thanks in advance. Superbe job!!!

Added today: EDIT: I´ve performed a full power cycle, and now seems to work, didnt know what happened before!

Nice, glad you figured it out. I had no idea lol.

#159 3 years ago

Loaded the 1987 code and its fantastic, thanks for making it available, just wish the video was better resolution.

#160 3 years ago

Hey Dave, you're taking all this down time to re-rip the footage at a better quality level, right?

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Hey Dave, you're taking all this down time to re-rip the footage at a better quality level, right?

I don't have the motivation to go back and edit all the videos again, but I could certainly show you guys how to do so

For what it's worth, the original videos even from the dvd are not that great of quality. I heard they had taken the vcr tapes as a source for a lot of them.

I will say there are certainly compression artifacts on some of my conversions in some dark scenes, but I honestly don't notice them on most of the clips. The only one that comes to mind that I really notice is the ninja pizza multi-ball loop scene.

#162 3 years ago

Sorry if its been asked before..

So, can I keep the original Stern code on one SD card and the 1987 code on another and go back/forth by just swapping out the SD cards?

Do the high scores move with the cards?

Thanks

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Sorry if its been asked before..
So, can I keep the original Stern code on one SD card and the 1987 code on another and go back/forth by just swapping out the SD cards?
Do the high scores move with the cards?
Thanks

Yes you can swap back and forth no problem (even different version 1.21 to 1.22).
High scores do not move with the cards.

#164 3 years ago

Can anyone send me the 1987 code - music/video version?

Thanks!

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I don't have the motivation to go back and edit all the videos again, but I could certainly show you guys how to do so
For what it's worth, the original videos even from the dvd are not that great of quality. I heard they had taken the vcr tapes as a source for a lot of them.
I will say there are certainly compression artifacts on some of my conversions in some dark scenes, but I honestly don't notice them on most of the clips. The only one that comes to mind that I really notice is the ninja pizza multi-ball loop scene.

Have you noticed the videos look great when NOT converting with Pinball Browser? I have noticed that with my Aerosmith project. But I cannot import without conversion all the videos because then the SD card will not boot at some point. Seems that image size gets too large without conversion. But I'm using 3min-5min videos in Aerosmith. How long is the average video you're using in TMNT?

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Can anyone send me the 1987 code - music/video version?
Thanks!

Send a PM delt31. He would be happy to supply it.

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Have you noticed the videos look great when NOT converting with Pinball Browser? I have noticed that with my Aerosmith project. But I cannot import without conversion all the videos because then the SD card will not boot at some point. Seems that image size gets too large without conversion. But I'm using 3min-5min videos in Aerosmith. How long is the average video you're using in TMNT?

The average video clips I put in are 90 frames at 30fps (3 seconds).
About the only exception to this is the attract screen using the TMNT intro which is about 1 minute.
I found that if I import without conversion, I likely have to deal with bad images. Import with conversion was really the only way to make sure it worked. I imagine that importing without conversion can be dangerous since it likely writes over data outside the video file on the card if the file import is too big. Just my guess, but check with oga83. I remember oga83 said that import without conversion was just a temporary fix for some weird edge cases and it should not be used normally.

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

The average video clips I put in are 90 frames at 30fps (3 seconds).
About the only exception to this is the attract screen using the TMNT intro which is about 1 minute.
I found that if I import without conversion, I likely have to deal with bad images. Import with conversion was really the only way to make sure it worked. I imagine that importing without conversion can be dangerous since it likely writes over data outside the video file on the card if the file import is too big. Just my guess, but check with oga83. I remember oga83 said that import without conversion was just a temporary fix for some weird edge cases and it should not be used normally.

For my Aerosmith video project, there was one video for Back in the Saddle I wanted to user over another Saddle video, but it stuttered often. Was able to import that video without conversion successfully without hosing up the entire image. Amazing the different versus converting - quality is perfect and no stuttering.

But if I try to add another video without converting, the entire image gets corrupted. Was finally able to work around all of that, but what a tedious, time-consuming process. Always had to make a backup of the entire image (8-16GBs) before testing every change.

My project expanded the original 8GB image to 29GB, but it works!

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Send a PM delt31. He would be happy to supply it.

I sent all good.

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

For my Aerosmith video project, there was one video for Back in the Saddle I wanted to user over another Saddle video, but it stuttered often. Was able to import that video without conversion successfully without hosing up the entire image. Amazing the different versus converting - quality is perfect and no stuttering.
But if I try to add another video without converting, the entire image gets corrupted. Was finally able to work around all of that, but what a tedious, time-consuming process. Always had to make a backup of the entire image (8-16GBs) before testing every change.
My project expanded the original 8GB image to 29GB, but it works!

Interesting. I put a ton of video into JP and it never changed the size of the image.

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Interesting. I put a ton of video into JP and it never changed the size of the image.

How long are the video clips and did you always using conversion? Aerosmith background videos are the length of the songs, so much larger than just replacing a 10-30 second clip in JP and TNMT.

#172 3 years ago

I cannot seem to get past this point Any help ? I’ve got the sd card In the reader in usb3.0. I’m pretty computer illiterate,but I feel I’ve followed YouTube directions, and am stuck trying to get the “path” to the download etc.

75B990CC-B588-4B5D-B685-E3CB5FB98BD9 (resized).jpeg75B990CC-B588-4B5D-B685-E3CB5FB98BD9 (resized).jpeg77950E24-ECCC-42E6-AB12-E5FD3F480015 (resized).jpeg77950E24-ECCC-42E6-AB12-E5FD3F480015 (resized).jpeg
#173 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

I cannot seem to get past this point Any help ? I’ve got the sd card In the reader in usb3.0. I’m pretty computer illiterate,but I feel I’ve followed YouTube directions, and am stuck trying to get the “path” to the download etc.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like you got quotes around everything but .raw in your path:
'C:\Users\billy\Downloads\turtles_le-prem-1_21_0.Release.16G.sdcard.1987.dav'.raw

Paste this in there instead:
C:\Users\billy\Downloads\turtles_le-prem-1_21_0.Release.16G.sdcard.1987.dav.raw

#174 3 years ago

Wow great job. This makes the game way more desirable to my taste. Again it's up to creative guys like you to patch for Stern and their not full asset licenses.

Great job

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

How long are the video clips and did you always using conversion? Aerosmith background videos are the length of the songs, so much larger than just replacing a 10-30 second clip in JP and TNMT.

Bump for an answer to my question.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Bump for an answer to my question.

yeah they're much shorter. 5-10 seconds for JP. TMNT has the intro which is longer but mostly short clips.

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

yeah they're much shorter. 5-10 seconds for JP. TMNT has the intro which is longer but mostly short clips.

You guys have it easy then.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Looks like you got quotes around everything but .raw in your path:
'C:\Users\billy\Downloads\turtles_le-prem-1_21_0.Release.16G.sdcard.1987.dav'.raw
Paste this in there instead:
C:\Users\billy\Downloads\turtles_le-prem-1_21_0.Release.16G.sdcard.1987.dav.raw

If that doesnt work you need to enable the feature in windows file explorer to see file extensions. I was getting the same error until I turned it on. if you copy and paste without it on it puts the .raw on the file twice behind the scenes

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Oh sorry I thought I already replied to this but I guess it did not actually post.

The video clips are mostly about 3 seconds (90 frames at 30fps). At most, they were about 15 seconds. The only exception is the attract screen being about 1 minute. Luckily there was still no stutter on that one either.

I always use conversion based on what oga83 suggested.

#180 3 years ago

Thank you !!! It worked. I copied your link,and boom. All good to go . Thank you, this is very very cool ! Now to put up some high scores again ! 52m single player. 159m co-op. Fun game.

#181 3 years ago

I just updated to 1.22 and lost all the cool stuff,it’s back to normal . Do I have to run it on old code (1.21) for it to work ? That kinda sucks. I thought I read you can do the update with usb after installing this and it’d be fine,not in my case. Any help ? . Thank you

#182 3 years ago

Not possible right now. 1.22 can’t be customized with our code

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

But we can have 1.22 installed on the main SD card and then swap to 1987 code on a different SD card correct?

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ahhh. Ok ok. I assume waiting till final code and possibly updating your magic amazing skills then ? We’re all hoping that’s the case ? And another quick question, I assume I can just pop out the sd, and pop it back in, power cycle and it’ll be Oldschool again ? Thank you so much !!

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

But we can have 1.22 installed on the main SD card and then swap to 1987 code on a different SD card correct?

Yes.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Ahhh. Ok ok. I assume waiting till final code and possibly updating your magic amazing skills then ? We’re all hoping that’s the case ? And another quick question, I assume I can just pop out the sd, and pop it back in, power cycle and it’ll be Oldschool again ? Thank you so much !!

The software we use to make this code is pinball browser. Stern changed something in the way the image of the software can be manipulated on TMNT starting at version 1.22. The developer of pinball browser is working on being able to read it, but until that works we cannot make the custom software image for version 1.22.

In order to swap between the SD cards, make sure your power is off and swap them. Then turn on and you will notice a node board update and you should be good to go.

#187 3 years ago

I just popped out the sd, popped it back in (while game was off) power cycle and it’s still stern animations ? . Is that strange ? What do I need to do to get it a back ? Thanks again
Ps. Tried a couple times now. Both sd cards load up 1.22 regular animations. I could cry,I was so excited to play with your magic ,now I can’t get it back . Hah. First world problems.

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

The software we use to make this code is pinball browser. Stern changed something in the way the image of the software can be manipulated on TMNT starting at version 1.22. The developer of pinball browser is working on being able to read it, but until that works we cannot make the custom software image for version 1.22.
In order to swap between the SD cards, make sure your power is off and swap them. Then turn on and you will notice a node board update and you should be good to go.

So strange. I cannot get it back on. I had it on there working last night, only had time to play one game,figured I’d update code (bad idea) . Now I can’t get it to work again. Maybe I start over,re format sd card,pin browser etc ? So weird

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

So strange. I cannot get it back on. I had it on there working last night, only had time to play one game,figured I’d update code (bad idea) . Now I can’t get it to work again. Maybe I start over,re format sd card,pin browser etc ? So weird

If you try to update the code by usb to 1.22 on the 1.21 1987 code it definitely will not work. I would format the SD card and do a complete rewrite of the 1987 1.21 code.

#190 3 years ago

Guys bitching about video quality need to remember the source and when the cartoons came out they were meant for and shown on 480i TVs. Laserdisc upped the resolution over vhs before DVD’s came out but the cartoons were not put on laserdisc unfortunately to get better image quality when they put them to dvd.

We definitely are spoiled now with 1080p and 4K. Unfortunately playing low res video or games on an HD tv will look like crap compared to high res.

Definitely was on the fence on getting Turtles, but this definitely pushes me off the fence, and I wasn’t a kid any longer when the Turtles came out, but my kids loved the show.

Awesome job! Definitely jealous of your skill set.

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Guys bitching about video quality need to remember the source and when the cartoons came out they were meant for and shown on 480i TVs. Laserdisc upped the resolution over vhs before DVD’s came out but the cartoons were not put on laserdisc unfortunately to get better image quality when they put them to dvd.
We definitely are spoiled now with 1080p and 4K. Unfortunately playing low res video or games on an HD tv will look like crap compared to high res.
Definitely was on the fence on getting Turtles, but this definitely pushes me off the fence, and I wasn’t a kid any longer when the Turtles came out, but my kids loved the show.
Awesome job! Definitely jealous of your skill set.

Thank you for the kind words! I actually kind of like the image quality as is. It reminds me of my childhood times lol. I'll just put a CRT TV in place of the stern screen...

#192 3 years ago

Having a movie or show on Laserdisc has nothing to do with the DVD release. They didn't transfer the Turtles from VHS to DVD because there wasn't a Laserdisc release.

#193 3 years ago

This :

#194 3 years ago

That's pretty good for a remake - my only complaint is how they made the mouths look.

#195 3 years ago

yeah, same thinking.
But the global quality is really nice.

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Having a movie or show on Laserdisc has nothing to do with the DVD release. They didn't transfer the Turtles from VHS to DVD because there wasn't a Laserdisc release.

I never said there was a laserdisc release. If there was a laser disc release the image quality would have been better at 480p vs 480i and not pulled from vhs copies and transferred to dvd like it was.

The vhs copy was inferior in quality from the source material and transferring it from vhs to dvd only made the poorer quality stand out more.If there WAS a laserdisc release the image quality would have been better since it would have been a digital transfer instead of filming the episodes being played and recorded from the vhs copy and then transferred to dvd. Try to keep up skippy it’s not that difficult.

#197 3 years ago

I never said there was a laserdisc release. If there was a laser disc release the image quality would have been better at 480p vs 480i and not pulled from vhs copies and transferred to dvd like it was.
The vhs copy was inferior in quality from the source material and transferring it from vhs to dvd only made the poorer quality stand out more.If there WAS a laserdisc release the image quality would have been better since it would have been a digital transfer instead of filming the episodes being played and recorded from the vhs copy and then transferred to dvd. Try to keep up skippy it’s not that difficult.

I didn't say you said there was a Laserdisc release. Better go back and re-read what I posted. I specially refuted your idea the the DVD was transferred from VHS, which is patently absurd. You obviously know nothing about how home media works. They make a master video copy of the film, and that is usually higher quality or resolution that the consumer media products of the time. The DVD of Turtles would have been made from a master. The publisher probably re-used the original master from years earlier instead of going through the expense to update it (which explains why the DVD wasn't as good as it could have been) but it was NOT made from VHS tapes! If there had been a Laserdisc release, it would have been from this same master.

Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

What
A complete assets replacement of Stern's TMNT using assets from the 1987 animated series.
Why
I have absolutely no problems with the video assets that Stern put in TMNT. In fact, I think they did an outstanding job. However, there's just no replacing the old school coolness of the original series. Now that my 4-year-old daughter is watching every episode with me to relive the magic, I really wanted to see her face when the pinball machine showed the 1987 series on it. Plus, I think it will make a lot of pinball enthusiasts out there happy.
Download links
* Pro v1.21.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kzuZskb7Qs5HbOYhfvatbuUCRCSasiel/view?usp=sharing
* Premium / LE v1.21.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NgYloEMXGG0yLSi_5p6BgOdh7FH1aVFA/view?usp=sharing
* Pro & Premium / LE with delt31 custom music mix is available as well. PM him for a copy.
What you need
* 16gb class 10 SD card (note that the original SD card is 8gb and you should keep it safe anyway)
** This is the one I use (SanDisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 SDHC UHS-I Memory Card up to 80MB/s (SDSDUNC-016G-GN6IN) amazon.com link »
* SD card reader/writer
** This is the one I use (Anker 2-in-1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card and UHS-I Cards)
amazon.com link »
* Pinball Browser (un-licensed version works fine).
How to install
Do not use Balena Etcher to write to the SD card! I have had a high failure rate using this program! You will know if it fails if you have any in-game restarts while playing (or more likely when booting). Use Pinball Browser to write to the SD card. Follow the instructions on my youtube video linked above.
Donations?
If you're feeling charitable, buy a license for pinball browser which made this software possible.
Limitations / Omissions
* The pizza eating contest animation as you’re smashing the button I left as is.
* The ‘match’ videos remained as is (I turn ’match’ off anyway).
* I did not do the 3 videos (intro, loop and end) for Cowabunga. If you get there, let me know and I will use clips of your choosing!
* Sometimes, there are no real episodes that correspond to the episodes on the pinball machine, so I had to be creative. For example: Slash fighting the turtles in Dimension X.
What it looks like
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

With the new update today if I update will it erase the 1987 code?

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from Mcgringoloco:

Yes

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from Mcgringoloco:

Yeah you can't ever take a stern update and apply it to the sd card with the 1987 code on it.

Unfortunately, we just have to wait for pinball browser to be compatible with the latest updates before I can make any updates to the latest version. It stopped working on TMNT version 1.21.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
10,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-eustache, QC
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 22.00
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-stern-the-1987-code/page/4?hl=napoleon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.