56.mp4_snapshot_00.00.855 (resized).jpg
55.mp4_snapshot_00.01.371 (resized).jpg
46.mp4_snapshot_00.01.779 (resized).jpg
45.mp4_snapshot_00.01.604 (resized).jpg
44.mp4_snapshot_00.01.889 (resized).jpg
43.mp4_snapshot_00.10.470 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231119_041130796 (resized).jpg
PB2 (resized).jpg
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
#51 3 years ago

Are there any streamers here? Would love to see some extended gameplay footage with this code installed.

#52 3 years ago

I noticed that in the Mixer when the Turtle Power MB track is playing it is the original stern version and not the cartoon theme

Anyway to swap these out ?

Also at the beginning of the game when you hear cowabunga - maybe use a different version or movie cowabunga

No big deal either way but if there was a list for tweaks if another code drops

Anyway to throw in anywhere
“man I love being a turtle”

Super happy with this and bravo to the creators

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

Are there any streamers here? Would love to see some extended gameplay footage with this code installed.

I’ll be streaming this soon. Maybe this weekend or next Wednesday night from 10-12pm EST. Give me a follow and you’ll be notified otherwise I’ll post the link to the video afterwards. Justanotherpinballstream on twitch.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I’ll be streaming this soon. Maybe this weekend or next Wednesday night from 10-12pm EST. Give me a follow and you’ll be notified otherwise I’ll post the link to the video afterwards. Justanotherpinballstream on twitch.

Awesome, that would be great! Just followed you on Twitch. Thanks!

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Nice! I just lost one of your previous streams of TMNT. Yes the left ramp is brutal, especially when you want to start team up or final battle lol. I'll try and pop into the stream to say hello

#56 3 years ago

Dave, will you and Delt be working together from now on, or maintaining separate builds?

#57 3 years ago

I really love this mod, sadly some of the videos are not as great as they could due to compression artifact.
Would it be possible to give a try of : http://videocleaner.com/download.html
It's a freeware that gives nice results.
daveyvandy : I'd be happy to help you on that goal

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

I really love this mod, sadly some of the videos are not as great as they could due to compression artifact.
Would it be possible to give a try of : http://videocleaner.com/download.html
It's a freeware that gives nice results.
daveyvandy : I'd be happy to help you on that goal

Thanks for the feedback. I just looked into video cleaner and I could not figure out how to use it. Ideally, I could just set a batch script to clean all the videos in a folder. If you like, I can send you a zip of all the videos and you can process them however you like and I can put it back in the firmware for everyone's consumption. PM me if you're interested!

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Dave, will you and Delt be working together from now on, or maintaining separate builds?

I'm keeping the builds separate for people who want just the video mod without any changes to music. However, I believe delt31 will keep up with any updates. I'm going to try to limit the updates here to be just when stern releases new code, otherwise version control gets a little hairy.

#60 3 years ago

Impressive work!

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

I'm streaming tomorrow, will try and get my hands on imaging a card tonight.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from JediMcMuffin:

I'm streaming tomorrow, will try and get my hands on imaging a card tonight.

Cool! Please share a link if you’re able to get it up and running with the code. Thanks!

#63 3 years ago

This is cool! Sorry as I may have missed it but i thought Pinball Browser didn't work on newer code/firmware since Stern locked down /encrypted Firmware - was there an exception for TMNT??

#64 3 years ago

New pinball table owner here. TMNT is my first NIB. I'm new to all of this. What's been done here to put in the 1987 clips is totally awesome, Kudos!! When using pinball browser, how do you revert back to the original code if you'd like? Is it as simple as swapping out the SD cards to flip between stock and 1987? I want to check this out, but the wife really actually likes the stern original code. And she wouldn't want it to be permanent. She wants to make sure we can flip back and forth if we want. What is involved in going between stock and not?

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from CypherPinball:

New pinball table owner here. TMNT is my first NIB. I'm new to all of this. What's been done here to put in the 1987 clips is totally awesome, Kudos!! When using pinball browser, how do you revert back to the original code if you'd like? Is it as simple as swapping out the SD cards to flip between stock and 1987? I want to check this out, but the wife really actually likes the stern original code. And she wouldn't want it to be permanent. She wants to make sure we can flip back and forth if we want. What is involved in going between stock and not?

It is as simple as putting the old SD card back in. Do it when the machine is off of course or risk problems. I keep my old one in the coin box. Also note that your settings and adjustments and high scores live on the SD card as well. So when you put in the new one, you'll have to put it on free play for example.

#66 3 years ago

Perfect! Thanks for the response!

#67 3 years ago

Dave, what app did you use to rip the video from the DVD?

MPEG-2 (used by DVDs) is not the greatest codec, and of course we never got a Blu-Ray of the show....but some DVD ripping software like Handbrake (free) really let you jack up the quality of the initial conversion at the expense of size and speed. Pinball Browser through FFMPEG will convert it again of course to work right with Stern's system, but that master file ripped from the DVD should be the best possible quality. I don't think you'd need the cleaner software then, as that's really just smoothing stuff out after the fact.

Curious what you used.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

This is cool! Sorry as I may have missed it but i thought Pinball Browser didn't work on newer code/firmware since Stern locked down /encrypted Firmware - was there an exception for TMNT??

That's what I thought too, but here we are
I think the author of pinball browser either made some updates, or it worked all along. I know that people are working on edits for Jurassic Park right now too.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Dave, what app did you use to rip the video from the DVD?
MPEG-2 (used by DVDs) is not the greatest codec, and of course we never got a Blu-Ray of the show....but some DVD ripping software like Handbrake (free) really let you jack up the quality of the initial conversion at the expense of size and speed. Pinball Browser through FFMPEG will convert it again of course to work right with Stern's system, but that master file ripped from the DVD should be the best possible quality. I don't think you'd need the cleaner software then, as that's really just smoothing stuff out after the fact.
Curious what you used.

It's been awhile since I got the files from a DVD so I don't really remember. The quality of the originals is perfectly fine, but I had to reduce the quality in order to put them onto the image. I had problems with putting in larger file sizes than the original videos, so I had to down sample the edits a little bit. This was my first time working with pinball browser so I tried lots of things until I found a working workflow. In general, having the file size of the edits smaller than the original videos worked well so I tried doing this. Retrospectively, it doesn't look like that is entirely necessary in most cases. However, once you find a working workflow, you best stick to it!

#70 3 years ago

ok, so size does matter in this case.. you had to downsize, which led to artefacts..
Did you keep the ripped file before downsizing ?
Cleaning software may work but that may also expand the final size

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

ok, so size does matter in this case.. you had to downsize, which led to artefacts..
Did you keep the ripped file before downsizing ?
Cleaning software may work but that may also expand the final size

No, I think size only mattered with the early workflow I was doing. Originally, I was importing without conversion. But then I found out from talking to oga83 that I should be importing instead. By that point, it was too late since I already had all of the files in the smaller size. I still think your efforts to clean them with the cleaning software will be helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have the clips in original definition, all the edits were basically made on the fly.

#72 3 years ago

The cleaning software won't bring back the lost resolution, just smooth out the low res artifacts. Kinda like one step up from polishing a turd, unfortunately.

I don't, in any way, mean that as a negative to the great work you've done! Just lamenting is all........

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

The cleaning software won't bring back the lost resolution, just smooth out the low res artifacts. Kinda like one step up from polishing a turd, unfortunately.
I don't, in any way, mean that as a negative to the great work you've done! Just lamenting is all........

Haha so true! Video editing definitely has a lot of moving parts that I didn't realize. I had never done it before, but now I can see plenty of room for improvement. The first thing, is to save clips as close to original as possible (frame rate, bit rate, resolution, etc). In the future, I would just write a batch script that would take care of down sampling (if necessary) for use on the image. Live and learn

#74 3 years ago

I just finished streaming this and really loved it. Chat seemed to love it as well. Here is the link to my Twitch VOD.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/738601847

and here is the link to the Youtube video wants it is processed

Thanks for making this!

#75 3 years ago

OK, so I made attempts and the gain is really not good.
I can smooth the artefacts but sharpening the edges is complicated. I get a blurry effect at the end that is not eye friendly.
The easiest would be to recapture from the initial dvds, if their quality is better.
Did you by any chance keep the episode ref and timestamps??

#76 3 years ago

joelbob - nice stream!

Question for all users playing our combined code......how is the vanilla ice song volume wise? I’m hearing conflicting reports that it’s too loud, some want louder. The only consideration is if it’s too loud the bass will really be too much but lmk. I can tweak.

Glad to see people are loving it!

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

OK, so I made attempts and the gain is really not good.
I can smooth the artefacts but sharpening the edges is complicated. I get a blurry effect at the end that is not eye friendly.
The easiest would be to recapture from the initial dvds, if their quality is better.
Did you by any chance keep the episode ref and timestamps??

I do not have the episode references and timestamps unfortunately. I did all this on the fly and did not save as I went along. In the future, I would save all the clips in original format, then down sample as a batch if needed to put on the image.

Here's how my process works:
* Get episode from DVD (this was done in 16:9), converting to a useful high res format
* Look at the original video from Stern in pinball browser
* Find a suitable clip that could be placed in
* use OpenShot to create the clip (noting frame count, original resolution, etc of the original), and downsampling
* Save the clip
* Upload to the firmware
* Do the next clip

#78 3 years ago

Do you remember what seasons you pulled from? Season 1 is heavy for sure, but what else?

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Do you remember what seasons you pulled from? Season 1 is heavy for sure, but what else?

It's pretty 1-3 heavy. Anything after that was specifically to grab clips of characters not featured a lot, like Casey Jones and Slash. In fact, most of the clips are from the first season which is just around 5 episodes.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I just finished streaming this and really loved it. Chat seemed to love it as well. Here is the link to my Twitch VOD.

Thanks for making this!

Thanks for streaming, I'm watching the VOD and it looks like you guys had a good time!

#81 3 years ago

It really is great. I had a guy on stream last night say that this mod is convincing him to go turtles over avengers for his next machine! Sure there are definitely a few clips that could use some work. Especially the character select clips but overall it is so much fun and nostalgic.

delt31 on mine it seems like the vanilla ice song is on the quiet side but there is also a ton going on during that mode with multiple other call outs going on at the same time.

This is pushing me to want to watch the first few seasons again. If it makes sense as a community to try to timestamp your clips we could probably make that happen. I will gladly support this project!

#82 3 years ago

I think we can set a group to work on it.
Like a Google drive with all actual videos, and plenty of fans dig out turtles DVD and rip the correct sequence.
Then daveyvandy validates.
Might create a table to input the whole list of sequences so that we could do a common effort.

We would need some guideline on the best tools and workflow.
Noob question, do video have sound??

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

JOELBOB - nice stream!
Question for all users playing our combined code......how is the vanilla ice song volume wise? I’m hearing conflicting reports that it’s too loud, some want louder. The only consideration is if it’s too loud the bass will really be too much but lmk. I can tweak.
Glad to see people are loving it!

The Vanilla Ice song is either too loud or has too much low frequency. The bass sounds as though it’s clipping.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from Wallofnoise:

The Vanilla Ice song is either too loud or has too much low frequency. The bass sounds as though it’s clipping.

I had that issue when I added it to code right after I got the game. There's no perfect setting....seems too low, or you get clipping.

I think I used 300% volume on the Ninja Rap audio. It was the lesser of all evils.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Wallofnoise:

Are you LE? I can try to lower it a bit but then you can't hear. I'm drop 10% and re up le.

#86 3 years ago

Thanks Delt I’m LE as wel and agree with wall of noise. Overall it is so amazing!!! Did you guys code anything for cowabunga? Never got to that mode yet so just checking. Thanks

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from SpidermanDan:

Thanks Delt I’m LE as wel and agree with wall of noise. Overall it is so amazing!!! Did you guys code anything for cowabunga? Never got to that mode yet so just checking. Thanks

I honestly couldn't find any good enough clips for cowabunga. If you get there, you get to pick what gets put in (aka I'm tired of looking through for the right clip lol).

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I honestly couldn't find any good enough clips for cowabunga. If you get there, you get to pick what gets put in (aka I'm tired of looking through for the right clip lol).

For Cowabunga, just use footage from the early 90's movies! Surprise!

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Are you LE? I can try to lower it a bit but then you can't hear. I'm drop 10% and re up le.

I’m Pro actually.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Thanks for making this!

Ahh, I didn’t get notified via Twitch for some reason. I just watched it on YouTube now and holy crap it’s freaking sweet! Turtles is back on my want list now. The music from the arcade game and the original show clips sealed it. Wish I could hear the Vanilla Ice song better but maybe the sample needs to be replaced?

Big thanks to delt31 and daveyvandy for making this happen. Stern should throw you some bucks under the table because this is gonna sell a few more games.

#91 3 years ago

I followed the youtube video outlining how to do this to the letter. And everything seemed to be going smoothly. Except for when i put the sd card into the TMNT machine. It boots up like it should. Shows the turtles cartoon opening. But, the start button isn't flashing. I'm not able to actually start a game. The flippers work. I can scroll through high scores and what not. But, the start button is completely dead. Pop the original TMNT sd card back into the game, and it's working no problem. Am I doing something wrong? Does this happen sometimes? Should I format the sd card and try again?

#92 3 years ago

Regarding hardware, I bought the sd card recommended in the first post. I didn't buy a reader/writer as my laptop has this built in. Also I used the image file (video only) in the first post for the pro, not the combined audio/video.

#93 3 years ago

Need to use win32 img software to flash

#94 3 years ago

Thank you for helping me troubleshoot. I'm not familiar with win32. Now that I've written the image to the card, my order of operations would be format card, flash the card using win32, then re-write to the card?

#95 3 years ago

ok, i think I might really be messing up this new sd card. I didn't format, and used win32 to write the image to the sd card again. Put it back in machine. Still start button isn't working. Thinking I need to format the card and start over. But, I don't want to format in fat32 since that can only have files up to 4gb. And there are 5 drives associated (D-H) with this sd card now after using pinball browser. How should I go about starting over. And doing this correctly? And so it works?

sd card (resized).PNGsd card (resized).PNG
#96 3 years ago

You said your start button isn’t flashing, did you try to credit up the game? You may have to go into the options and set it to free play.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

You said your start button isn’t flashing, did you try to credit up the game? You may have to go into the options and set it to free play.

Yeah, this seems like exactly it. Open your coin door, press the button on the coin door to the far right (select) twice, go into adjustments (press volume + twice then select), then go to standard adjustments, then go to standard adjustment number 40 and turn free play on. Let us know if that works.

#98 3 years ago

ok, i think I might really be messing up this new sd card. I didn't format, and used win32 to write the image to the sd card again. Put it back in machine. Still start button isn't working. Thinking I need to format the card and start over. But, I don't want to format in fat32 since that can only have files up to 4gb. And there are 5 drives associated (D-H) with this sd card now after using pinball browser. How should I go about starting over. And doing this correctly? And so it works?
[quoted image]

If your put your flashed SD card into the pinball machine and it boots up to see the starting animation, then there is no problem with your flash most likely. If there is a problem with the flash, the game will usually reboot itself over and over again before you get to the starting animation. I think evileye is right on the money with just changing it back to free play. See my instructions on the previous post.

#99 3 years ago

Lol, I am an idiot. It just needed to be put in free play. Thanks for all of your help.

#100 3 years ago

Lol, I am an idiot. It just needed to be put in free play. Thanks for all of your help.

Lol no problem. I once only had one pinball machine too. By this time next year, you'll know it inside out and have five more next to it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.00
$ 7,999.00
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 22.00
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grindstone, PA
6,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-stern-the-1987-code/page/2?hl=jedimcmuffin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.