56.mp4_snapshot_00.00.855 (resized).jpg
55.mp4_snapshot_00.01.371 (resized).jpg
46.mp4_snapshot_00.01.779 (resized).jpg
45.mp4_snapshot_00.01.604 (resized).jpg
44.mp4_snapshot_00.01.889 (resized).jpg
43.mp4_snapshot_00.10.470 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231119_041130796 (resized).jpg
PB2 (resized).jpg
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
#1 3 years ago

What
A complete assets replacement of Stern's TMNT using assets from the 1987 animated series.

Why
I have absolutely no problems with the video assets that Stern put in TMNT. In fact, I think they did an outstanding job. However, there's just no replacing the old school coolness of the original series. Now that my 4-year-old daughter is watching every episode with me to relive the magic, I really wanted to see her face when the pinball machine showed the 1987 series on it. Plus, I think it will make a lot of pinball enthusiasts out there happy.

Updates
* Using 1.57 code now with fixed images

Current version (1.57)
* Pro: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UC84jKz8EsGCOiihFslbWPYYipwo7iFl/view?usp=drive_link
* Premium / LE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UB48HgUUGMtXWKTO_pmp4-yyRX-UL_QY/view?usp=drive_link

Previous version (1.56)
* Pro: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TzvAaTRflZpe5h-gh1Ke_g_oi4r41hh0/view?usp=drive_link
* Premium / LE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TuXNXQbPBnlwUGZIhM4xXdr3EZShlqmF/view?usp=drive_link

What you need
* 16gb class 10 SD card (note that the original SD card is 8gb and you should keep it safe anyway)
** This is the one I use (SanDisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 SDHC UHS-I Memory Card up to 80MB/s (SDSDUNC-016G-GN6IN) https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-Class-UHS-I-Memory-SDSDUNC-016G-GN6IN/dp/B0143RTB1E/ref=sr_1_1
* SD card reader/writer
** This is the one I use (Anker 2-in-1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card and UHS-I Cards)
https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Reader-RS-MMC-Micro/dp/B006T9B6R2/ref=sr_1_3
* Pinball Browser (un-licensed version works fine).

How to install
First after downloading from the link, extract the file if necessary (.zip extraction).
Then follow the instructions here:

Do not use Balena Etcher to write to the SD card! I have had a high failure rate using this program! You will know if it fails if you have any in-game restarts while playing (or more likely when booting). Use Pinball Browser to write to the SD card. Follow the instructions on my YouTube video linked above.

Validation errors
If you have any validation errors, swap to the official Stern code and play a game or two - this should clear the errors out.

FAQ
* Can I switch between this SD card and my original Stern SD card if they have different versions? Yes, you might see a node-board update when you go between different versions, but it will work fine.
* If I want to save all of my settings and high scores on my card before re-flashing it, can I do that? Yes, refer to USB drive backup instructions from Stern (in the pinball menu UTIL-> Save / Load)
* Should I use this with Insider Connect? Works on my machine. That being said, there are validation checks within the software. I don't know what Stern would do with that information, but you can always swap to your Stern SD card to use online if you're worried.

Donations?
No, but I'll take your upvotes.

Limitations / Omissions
* The pizza eating contest animation as you’re smashing the button I left as is.
* The ‘match’ videos remained as is (I turn ’match’ off anyway).
* I did not do the 3 videos (intro, loop and end) for Cowabunga. If you get there, let me know and I will use clips of your choosing!
* Sometimes, there are no real episodes that correspond to the episodes on the pinball machine, so I had to be creative. For example: Slash fighting the turtles in Dimension X.

What it looks like

IMG_20200903_081138 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081138 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081151 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081151 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081218 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081218 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081234 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081234 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081311 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081311 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081348 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081348 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081354 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081354 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081518 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081518 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081610 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081610 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081658 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081658 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081659 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081659 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081739 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081739 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081749 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081749 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081851 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081851 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081952 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_081952 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_082053 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_082053 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_082226 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_082226 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Looks good..I would definitely get it when I purchase my Tmnt pro

#4 3 years ago

Great job! I would love to collaborate by injecting my custom music with the videos!

#5 3 years ago

Looks great!

#6 3 years ago

This is really cool!

#7 3 years ago

No interest in the game (as it's a stern); but awesome work.

#8 3 years ago

Good stuff, it’s like you found the original clips that were used as inspiration for the new animations.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Great job! I would love to collaborate by injecting my custom music with the videos!

I agree! With your powers combined...

#10 3 years ago

If be up for testing if needed for LE purposes

#11 3 years ago

Awesome, I hope I can get this to work on mine. I’ll test the LE next week when we get back into town.

#12 3 years ago

At first i hated the new animations, but now they are ok. With your image i am back transported to my childhood. This looks like machine how should have been in the 1987.
now i have to 2 versions to play thank you very much for the time and efort you put into this.
I have done some animations with Pinball Browse but i was never able to put them in like you did.
They are on point hormize with sound text animations on screen.
Just great.

#13 3 years ago

Looks very good indeed! Please let us know if you and Delt get his music mixed in with your video clips! Cowabunga!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Looks very good indeed! Please let us know if you and Delt get his music mixed in with your video clips! Cowabunga!

Would love to see a collaboration of the these two editions. Excellent work by both Delt and Dave, just need to merge the two for the perfect mix.

#15 3 years ago

The combination is alive!!!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

Would love to see a collaboration of the these two editions. Excellent work by both Delt and Dave, just need to merge the two for the perfect mix.

PM Dellt for a combo

#17 3 years ago

Combo combo

#18 3 years ago

Yes!!! Combo!!!! Can’t wait to see the combined product! Thanks guys

#19 3 years ago

Damn, that looks awesome. Well done!

#20 3 years ago

Jesus, this was so well done. I'm super impressed.

#21 3 years ago

Wow amazing stuff

#22 3 years ago

That is fantastic!

#23 3 years ago

Premium / LE code is confirmed to work! Thank you djsoup !

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Premium / LE code is confirmed to work! Thank you djsoup !

This is really great! I see that both you and delt31 collaborated to bring your visuals with his music into a single code. I’m really excited for this. Will this collaboration code be available for prem/le? I need this nostalgia overload.

#25 3 years ago

There a link for the LE version

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

There a link for the LE version

Does that LE version also include delt31’s music mod?

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from acons017:

Does that LE version also include delt31’s music mod?

No it doesn’t but the request for Prem/LE is overwhelming! F it, I’ll update the Prem/LE too. I’ll post when it’s done.

#28 3 years ago

Prem/LE version with my music with OPs videos is now available. PM if interested

#29 3 years ago

They work done here by Dave and Delt is simply amazing!

The 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio is always an issue to overcome. It appears the video has been stretched a bit to fit (sometimes the Turtles look "fat" for lack of a better word). I wonder, would cropping the top and bottom a bit been the lesser of two evils?

Just curious....it in no ways distracts from the impressive work that's been done here!!

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

They work done here by Dave and Delt is simply amazing!
The 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio is always an issue to overcome. It appears the video has been stretched a bit to fit (sometimes the Turtles look "fat" for lack of a better word). I wonder, would cropping the top and bottom a bit been the lesser of two evils?
Just curious....it in no ways distracts from the impressive work that's been done here!!

That's an interesting note. The DVDs from which these clips are taken has them in 16:9, I actually did not change the aspect ratio when converting. I had wondered about that too myself. I didn't think anything was not in 4:3 in the '80s and '90s. Maybe just has to do with how they publish them on the DVDs?

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

No it doesn’t but the request for Prem/LE is overwhelming! F it, I’ll update the Prem/LE too. I’ll post when it’s done.

Lol, thanks delt31

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

That's an interesting note. The DVDs from which these clips are taken has them in 16:9, I actually did not change the aspect ratio when converting. I had wondered about that too myself. I didn't think anything was not in 4:3 in the '80s and '90s. Maybe just has to do with how they publish them on the DVDs?

Yeah, sometimes they stretched old 4:3 shows automatically on the DVD, other times they left them in 4:3 and people could stretch them with a TV setting if they desired.

I just checked on season 1 that I bought on iTunes a few weeks ago, and it's in 4:3. The size and proportions of the Turtles definitely look normal. I wonder if there was a 4:3 version of the DVD, or some other source we could get you? Of course, manually cropping each scene would be very time consuming, so maybe that's not an undertaking you want to do!

All in all, you've done great work! Everyone seems very happy!

#33 3 years ago

The only other thing I can think of is to leave the 4:3 like it is (assuming we can find a good source) and frame the side "black bars" with a graphic that resembles a late 80's TV set. This is how Batman '66 used the 4:3 video effectively.

#34 3 years ago

guys - lmk if LE/prem is working b/c I can;t test it....

#35 3 years ago

I wanted a tmnt before this, but this really makes me want one now.

#36 3 years ago

FYI you have to use win32img to put LE/prem combined version into your SD card. If you don't the game won't work well.

https://win32diskimager.download

#37 3 years ago

Wonderful job. I like it a lot!!!
Thanks

#38 3 years ago

LE has been loaded on my 284

Bravo !!

Very Happy

All Movies appear to work and all frames are present

Terrific polish on a already amazing game

Thank
You !!

#39 3 years ago

I can’t seem to get this to work on my Mac anyone know if it’s posible

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

What program are you using, DD Utility?

#41 3 years ago

Awsome work.

#42 3 years ago

MAC users = these code updates seem to be a big pain. Issues on the JP code too. For PC, only use win32img to flash. SOrry don't have more info for MAC users.

#43 3 years ago

On my Mac, I generally use Etcher. Despite warnings from some on Pinside, I've never had an issue with Etcher until Dave's image file! For that, I had to go back into my Windows VM and flash it using Pinball Browser itself, which I had never had use before for that purpose. That worked!

The internal SD card slot on Macs is not on the USB bus, so you can't move cards plugged into the slot into VMs. You can get inexpensive USB card readers of all varieties, and they work fine, even the super cheap ones.

Long story shot, if you're a Mac users like me, try Etcher out first. If that doesn't work, you'll need a VM running Windows and a SD card reader to flash with Pinball Browser.

Etcher works perfectly fine to flash Stern's stock SD card image downloads. The problem seems to be with some image files after being modified by Pinball Browser. Etcher is updated all the time, so hopefully whatever bugs related to Pinball Browser generated images that have popped up lately get fixed.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

MAC users = these code updates seem to be a big pain. Issues on the JP code too. For PC, only use win32img to flash. SOrry don't have more info for MAC users.

Macintosh is abbreviated Mac, not MAC. MAC is short for "Media Access Control", or MAC Address, which is the unique hardware identification number on a network device.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

#45 3 years ago

Etcher worked great for me and i used the SD slot on my laptop to write it.

Thanks guys for all the help!

I updated my pro haven’t tried my LE yet.

Loving the old school cartoons!

#46 3 years ago

This looks great

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

I just did it on my Mac, Balena Etcher first go no problem. ‍♂️

And WOW! Guys this is just unbelievable! Such and amazing job! Music and graphics, takes this game to another level.

The only one thing that my OCD can’t let go, is the photos of the turtles when choosing one at the begging, they are not coming up on the same line! Lol!

Love every time I start a new ball how it says Cowabunga!

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

I just did it on my Mac, Balena Etcher first go no problem. ‍♂️
And WOW! Guys this is just unbelievable! Such and amazing job! Music and graphics, takes this game to another level.
The only one thing that my OCD can’t let go, is the photos of the turtles when choosing one at the begging, they are not coming up on the same line! Lol!
Love every time I start a new ball how it says Cowabunga!

Your OCD? That drove me absolutely bonkers! I'm hoping in the next release to fix it or make a different animation for the character selection. What's interesting about the character selection is that it's actually not a video, it's just 42 individual images one after the other in a loop. So that presents challenges of making a ~1.5s loop.

The other thing that drives me crazy is when you collect the first reward for training, The text shadow is all messed up. It's actually like that on the original software, but they have a black video background that masks the problem. I tried to get rid of that but I could not.

All things to work on for the next release, which will probably come a little after when Stern releases their next software update.

#50 3 years ago

Just got around to installing this and I'm impressed at how much work went into this. I think Stern's existing cel shaded animations and funky 90's era soundtrack is fantastic as is, but this is a nice nostalgic alternative for those of us who grew up with the IP. So far I'm loving the original cartoon opening video along with the Konami TMNT video game music like Window Shopping. The DJ Mixer is perfect for the new tracks too. Nice work guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,999.00
6,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, FL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tualatin, OR
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 650 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-stern-the-1987-code/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.