Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have noticed that there is not one place that you can buy a TMNT pinball ramp. I found a couple places that can do 3D printing but they need a 3d model to make the part. the ramps on my machine are still good for now but I'm sure they will go out sooner or later. I was wondering if it is even a viable option to make a 3d model and have the ramps reproduced? How hard is it to make a 3d model of a ramp and does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

#2 3 years ago

I have a Party Zone with fragile ramps that have never been reproduced so I've had similar thoughts. Experimenting with 3D printing, I've made some 3D models in FreeCAD; they weren't too hard to create once I got a little knowledge of the software. I used 3DHubs.com to get what I designed printed locally... a neat idea but I was generally unhappy with the product results. Most of the 3D printers people have today are essentially tiny-nozzled hot melt glue guns - they couldn't produce the precision I needed for the small parts I tried to print (parts were less than an inch in each direction). There are better printing methods out there (i.e., shapeways.com) but I haven't progressed beyond the 3DHubs point.

For ramp replacement the precision probably isn't as important as it was for my project, but you need a printer with a large build volume... and that is not what you typically find by default. I'm sure there are plenty of hurdles, but the best way to cross them is to take them on one at a time. So, download the software and get started!

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pin2K H+V sync combiner

#3 3 years ago

thank you for the info I'll try it out.

#4 3 years ago

If you get something figured out I'm sure you could get a nice list going of people who would jump on buying a ramp set from you, myself included! Most tmnt owners ramp sets are in pretty bad shape, someone else had started a thread about making some but it never happened. I purchased a reproduction pinbot light bar topper a couple of years ago and the results were great. The maker used vacuum form I believe. Another pinsider made and sold reproduction sof and space station ramps. If you get something going, I'd buy one from you.

#5 3 years ago

The 3d printing part is going to be a challenge. You won't get a smooth finish without processing the part after it has been printed (unless you go to a laser 3d printer). If it's a clear ramp that will also be an issue (again a laser 3d printer would help with this). Wolfmarsh has a post on 3d printing you may want to inquire there and get some input.

Also creating a 3d model of the ramp is not a trivial issue--magnitudes harder than doing a drop target, for example. Honestly I think creating a mold and doing a vac-form would be a lot easier. 3d printers just aren't made to solve all problems.

Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks for the info I think I might be thinking way over my current skill level. Sounds like I should be looking for a place that does vacuum forming. I'm a little afraid the originals could be damaged in the process.

#7 3 years ago

This is the guy to talk to. He has made several ramp reproductions based on pinsiders interest. I dont know how much in need the ramps are you need but freeplay can do it!! I have some of the Genesis ramps and they are top notch. Review some of the post topics re: ramps and look at the process / quality.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/profile/freeplay40

#8 3 years ago

I visited Mark (Freeplay40) while up in Everett a few weeks back. He was in full production when I rolled up, but he took a couple of hours to BS and talk about ramps, pins, flippers, LED's, you name it. He is truely a pinball enthusiast that just happens to make some killer ramps. He showed me some of his HS, SOF, and Genesis ramps. Each has its own set of challenges and he explained how he worked around them. He should maybe change his handle to the RampMaster. Helluva nice guy.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for the help I talked to Mark and it looks like it might be possible after the summer. Right now is heater is not big enough for the ramp because it is one large piece.

#10 3 years ago

Excellent! And well worth the wait.

#11 3 years ago

Good to see progress on the ramp front seeing my idea for a lexan ramp is still only an idea.

#12 3 years ago

3d printing a large ramp is possible but would be very expensive. A better cheaper way to make a decent quality ramp is to vacuum form a new one. Clay posted a video showing the steps on YouTube recently. I don't have a link but it should be easy to find with a search.

2 years later
#13 5 months ago

I know it's a sin to resurrect an old post - but anyone have any luck in getting ramps reproduced? I have a TMNT in desparate need, and also have a new large format 300x300x400 3D printer on the way. Any models available?

cp1610 jgreene ball_less1 rjloot rgb635 terryb athenspin rkahr

#14 5 months ago
Quoted from pb456:

I know it's a sin to resurrect an old post - but anyone have any luck in getting ramps reproduced? I have a TMNT in desparate need, and also have a new large format 300x300x400 3D printer on the way. Any models available?
cp1610 jgreene ball_less1 rjloot rgb635 terryb athenspin rkahr

No luck finding anybody to reproduce, I did pick up a super nice ramp with a hair line crack repaired. It’s the plastic ramp only, no stickers, no pop rivits, ready for reproduction! Are you looking for a nice one to use for repro?

#15 5 months ago

Someone needs to build a plastic forming machine and beat freeplay to the punch. Plenty of ramp business to go around.

1 month later
#16 4 months ago
Quoted from athenspin:

No luck finding anybody to reproduce, I did pick up a super nice ramp with a hair line crack repaired. It’s the plastic ramp only, no stickers, no pop rivits, ready for reproduction! Are you looking for a nice one to use for repro?

athenspin yes - I have a feeling I'd have to get the model traced/scanned into an STL file or other - and then send it to a 3D printing company. If you want, PM me. I'd like to pursue this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Davie, FL
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 299.00
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside