Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FF47B830-F1A4-4784-A8F6-F773FA1BA030 (resized).jpeg
874F2C72-0AEC-45CD-BE62-3945D9FA7B2F (resized).jpeg
104297084_559400541415348_4833191438190215342_n (resized).jpg
105340025_254175595887364_715454715572282731_n (resized).jpg
103992900_271195194217157_8953035977660756871_n (resized).jpg
104472671_262819104818097_3765173456098080561_n (resized).jpg
104308107_992664627817566_9219799898473746982_n (resized).jpg
103460207_290539702315319_3236636460160566305_n (resized).jpg
101835779_2640790246210695_1993250332573780122_n (resized).jpg
101575079_907021209811985_2765001929407248840_n (resized).jpg
101525250_271674723948751_4822970809678040759_n (resized).jpg
101379854_1404714443250280_1965800071130295568_n (resized).jpg
20200604_150716 (resized).jpg
100920633_268955684469804_740818597986697216_n (resized).jpg
97158400_595919911021641_5676975067615985664_n (resized).jpg
78166192_264668931402076_1537398219506450432_n (resized).jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I have noticed that there is not one place that you can buy a TMNT pinball ramp. I found a couple places that can do 3D printing but they need a 3d model to make the part. the ramps on my machine are still good for now but I'm sure they will go out sooner or later. I was wondering if it is even a viable option to make a 3d model and have the ramps reproduced? How hard is it to make a 3d model of a ramp and does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

#2 4 years ago

I have a Party Zone with fragile ramps that have never been reproduced so I've had similar thoughts. Experimenting with 3D printing, I've made some 3D models in FreeCAD; they weren't too hard to create once I got a little knowledge of the software. I used 3DHubs.com to get what I designed printed locally... a neat idea but I was generally unhappy with the product results. Most of the 3D printers people have today are essentially tiny-nozzled hot melt glue guns - they couldn't produce the precision I needed for the small parts I tried to print (parts were less than an inch in each direction). There are better printing methods out there (i.e., shapeways.com) but I haven't progressed beyond the 3DHubs point.

For ramp replacement the precision probably isn't as important as it was for my project, but you need a printer with a large build volume... and that is not what you typically find by default. I'm sure there are plenty of hurdles, but the best way to cross them is to take them on one at a time. So, download the software and get started!

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pin2K H+V sync combiner

#3 4 years ago

thank you for the info I'll try it out.

#4 4 years ago

If you get something figured out I'm sure you could get a nice list going of people who would jump on buying a ramp set from you, myself included! Most tmnt owners ramp sets are in pretty bad shape, someone else had started a thread about making some but it never happened. I purchased a reproduction pinbot light bar topper a couple of years ago and the results were great. The maker used vacuum form I believe. Another pinsider made and sold reproduction sof and space station ramps. If you get something going, I'd buy one from you.

#5 4 years ago

The 3d printing part is going to be a challenge. You won't get a smooth finish without processing the part after it has been printed (unless you go to a laser 3d printer). If it's a clear ramp that will also be an issue (again a laser 3d printer would help with this). Wolfmarsh has a post on 3d printing you may want to inquire there and get some input.

Also creating a 3d model of the ramp is not a trivial issue--magnitudes harder than doing a drop target, for example. Honestly I think creating a mold and doing a vac-form would be a lot easier. 3d printers just aren't made to solve all problems.

Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks for the info I think I might be thinking way over my current skill level. Sounds like I should be looking for a place that does vacuum forming. I'm a little afraid the originals could be damaged in the process.

#7 4 years ago

This is the guy to talk to. He has made several ramp reproductions based on pinsiders interest. I dont know how much in need the ramps are you need but freeplay can do it!! I have some of the Genesis ramps and they are top notch. Review some of the post topics re: ramps and look at the process / quality.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/profile/freeplay40

#8 4 years ago

I visited Mark (Freeplay40) while up in Everett a few weeks back. He was in full production when I rolled up, but he took a couple of hours to BS and talk about ramps, pins, flippers, LED's, you name it. He is truely a pinball enthusiast that just happens to make some killer ramps. He showed me some of his HS, SOF, and Genesis ramps. Each has its own set of challenges and he explained how he worked around them. He should maybe change his handle to the RampMaster. Helluva nice guy.

#9 4 years ago

Thanks for the help I talked to Mark and it looks like it might be possible after the summer. Right now is heater is not big enough for the ramp because it is one large piece.

#10 4 years ago

Excellent! And well worth the wait.

#11 4 years ago

Good to see progress on the ramp front seeing my idea for a lexan ramp is still only an idea.

#12 4 years ago

3d printing a large ramp is possible but would be very expensive. A better cheaper way to make a decent quality ramp is to vacuum form a new one. Clay posted a video showing the steps on YouTube recently. I don't have a link but it should be easy to find with a search.

2 years later
#13 2 years ago

I know it's a sin to resurrect an old post - but anyone have any luck in getting ramps reproduced? I have a TMNT in desparate need, and also have a new large format 300x300x400 3D printer on the way. Any models available?

cp1610 jgreene ball_less1 rjloot rgb635 terryb athenspin rkahr

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I know it's a sin to resurrect an old post - but anyone have any luck in getting ramps reproduced? I have a TMNT in desparate need, and also have a new large format 300x300x400 3D printer on the way. Any models available?
cp1610 jgreene ball_less1 rjloot rgb635 terryb athenspin rkahr

No luck finding anybody to reproduce, I did pick up a super nice ramp with a hair line crack repaired. It’s the plastic ramp only, no stickers, no pop rivits, ready for reproduction! Are you looking for a nice one to use for repro?

#15 2 years ago

Someone needs to build a plastic forming machine and beat freeplay to the punch. Plenty of ramp business to go around.

1 month later
#16 1 year ago
Quoted from athenspin:

No luck finding anybody to reproduce, I did pick up a super nice ramp with a hair line crack repaired. It’s the plastic ramp only, no stickers, no pop rivits, ready for reproduction! Are you looking for a nice one to use for repro?

athenspin yes - I have a feeling I'd have to get the model traced/scanned into an STL file or other - and then send it to a 3D printing company. If you want, PM me. I'd like to pursue this.

4 months later
#17 1 year ago

Plus 1 in the purchase of a ramp if one is ever reproduced.

#18 1 year ago

It would be great if Cliff made some stainless steel ramp protectors in the near future. Cover up current cracks and stop Any future ones, as well as protect future repro ramps. When I bought a full kit of protectors for my SMB, SF2, and POTO, Cliff said I don’t make ones for TMNT ‘yet’.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Captain_Pin:

It would be great if Cliff made some stainless steel ramp protectors in the near future. Cover up current cracks and stop Any future ones, as well as protect future repro ramps. When I bought a full kit of protectors for my SMB, SF2, and POTO, Cliff said I don’t make ones for TMNT ‘yet’.

If you ever find out anything on this or repro ramps please let me/us know! Mine are getting really bad.

#20 1 year ago

Still waiting on somebody to roll these freeplay40 has talked about this once the big rig was setup.

#21 1 year ago

athenspin was kind enough to send me some really nice photos of the TMNT ramp...Thank you very much. I have been lobbied a lot to do the ramp for Time Machine. The reason I haven't even tried yet is due to some very thin walls between 2 lanes on that ramp... Although not quite as bad, they are very similar to the walls between the lanes on the TMNT ramp. Both the Time Machine ramp and TMNT ramp are what is referred to as a female form...In other words, the mold looks pretty much like the actual ramp and the plastic is pulled down into it as opposed to a male mold where the plastic is pulled down over an inverted form of the ramp. So imagine the mold with fairly thin walls separating the lanes. The material I currently use for my molds is a ceramic. It would be difficult to cast the mold with thin walls like that (Even thinner and more curve on Time Machine) and not have them break when I tried to remove the original from the cast ceramic. Let's say that I did get a good cast. While the forming process itself generally won't damage a mold, I suspect that those walls in the form would certainly bust when trying to remove the plastic from the mold after forming. The mold for Time Machine would not withstand one pull. TMNT is not quite as bad, but I do not think I would even attempt it with a ceramic.

This was not a problem with the original manufacturing of this ramp as the original mold was no doubt made of solid aluminum. Given the relatively low volume production runs these days, it simply makes no economic sense to spend several thousand $$$ to have a mold made out aluminum. Starship Fantasy still uses the original molds for most of his ramps.

Doesn't mean it can't be done. If someone wants to "beat me (Freeplay) to the punch" as lordloss stated, I would strongly recommend you try to beat me to the punch on something other than the TMNT ramp....you will fail a lot before you figure out a way to do it....I expect a good deal of failure as well. Recall the difficultly I had reproducing the ramps for Genesis...I threw away somewhere near 100 tests forms before I figured out the best way to make them.

So can it be done? I am looking at another medium to make molds with...actually an aluminum impregnated epoxy. This might be strong enough for molds like the TMNT and possibly for Time Machine, but will it be smooth enough and can it be machined after cast for corrections. It's quite expensive so errors can get costly quick, but certainly a whole lot cheaper than having a mold cut from an aluminum Block! As far as Time Machine is concerned, I would certainly be more inclined to test a new mold medium on TMNT first.

Oh yeah...and I need the bigger heater. Added a photo below so you can see what I'm talking about with respect to the thin walls.

TMNT2 (resized).jpg

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

athenspin was kind enough to send me some really nice photos of the TMNT ramp...Thank you very much. I have been lobbied a lot to do the ramp for Time Machine. The reason I haven't even tried yet is due to some very thin walls between 2 lanes on that ramp... Although not quite as bad, they are very similar to the walls between the lanes on the TMNT ramp. Both the Time Machine ramp and TMNT ramp are what is referred to as a female form...In other words, the mold looks pretty much like the actual ramp and the plastic is pulled down into it as opposed to a male mold where the plastic is pulled down over an inverted form of the ramp. So imagine the mold with fairly thin walls separating the lanes. The material I currently use for my molds is a ceramic. It would be difficult to cast the mold with thin walls like that (Even thinner and more curve on Time Machine) and not have them break when I tried to remove the original from the cast ceramic. Let's say that I did get a good cast. While the forming process itself generally won't damage a mold, I suspect that those walls in the form would certainly bust when trying to remove the plastic from the mold after forming. The mold for Time Machine would not withstand one pull. TMNT is not quite as bad, but I do not think I would even attempt it with a ceramic.
This was not a problem with the original manufacturing of this ramp as the original mold was no doubt made of solid aluminum. Given the relatively low volume production runs these days, it simply makes no economic sense to spend several thousand $$$ to have a mold made out aluminum. Starship Fantasy still uses the original molds for most of his ramps.
Doesn't mean it can't be done. If someone wants to "beat me (Freeplay) to the punch" as lordloss stated, I would strongly recommend you try to beat me to the punch on something other than the TMNT ramp....you will fail a lot before you figure out a way to do it....I expect a good deal of failure as well. Recall the difficultly I had reproducing the ramps for Genesis...I threw away somewhere near 100 tests forms before I figured out the best way to make them.
So can it be done? I am looking at another medium to make molds with...actually an aluminum impregnated epoxy. This might be strong enough for molds like the TMNT and possibly for Time Machine, but will it be smooth enough and can it be machined after cast for corrections. It's quite expensive so errors can get costly quick, but certainly a whole lot cheaper than having a mold cut from an aluminum Block! As far as Time Machine is concerned, I would certainly be more inclined to test a new mold medium on TMNT first.
Oh yeah...and I need the bigger heater. Added a photo below so you can see what I'm talking about with respect to the thin walls.
[quoted image]

I would buy at least one set of TMNT ramps when you get to it, I wish you luck in performing that one. From my limited understanding and reading your explanations, looks to be very tricky to do.

#23 1 year ago

Same here! I would love a replacement ramp for tmnt. Hope you can get the numbers to work out...and maybe get a poll going to see number of people interested and what they're willing to spend?

2 weeks later
#24 1 year ago

Hi. If you get them to do it I’ll take 2. Yes. I have 2 Turtles among my others pins.

#25 1 year ago

I'm in for one.

#26 1 year ago

Put a few games on Turtles last night, hopefully repros become a reality!!! Turtle Power!

#27 1 year ago

I'd buy one! Please make these available. Pretty please?

1 week later
#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Santis:

Hi. If you get them to do it I’ll take 2. Yes. I have 2 Turtles among my others pins.

I have 2 TMNT pins as well. So put me down for 2 ramps please! In fact I also have 2 Genesis pins, one of which has marks new ramps which I’m super grateful to have!

If Mark can work his magic and get this done I’d like to protect them @ the entrance of the ramps. I do some hobby welding and have a decent millermatic gas welding setup and a plasma cutting unit. Ive thought a lot about making my own ‘Cliffys’ for TMNT because Cliff doesn’t make them for this pin. They would be welded out of thin steel. I thought about powder coating them as well. I’d use stainless steel but I don’t have much experience welding with that and I’ve heard it distorts really easy if you don’t have much experience. Any input or ideas for this is welcomed and appreciated. Even if Mark doesn’t make the ramps 3 metal protectors would be nice. 1 that wraps around the bulkier center and another 2 that go on the left and right.

#29 1 year ago

Mark has given me some excellent info on how to make some protectors out of stainless. When I make some I’ll post some pics of the results.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Eight-BitBishop:

I'd buy one! Please make these available. Pretty please?

I didnt realize this was my brother, haha! I like your Nintendo avatar bro.

1 week later
#32 1 year ago

Just an idea but would it be possible to mold the ramp without the separating wall and make it a 2 piece assembly? Might not look exactly like original but we could look at it as an "aftermarket" mod for our pin.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Just an idea but would it be possible to mold the ramp without the separating wall and make it a 2 piece assembly? Might not look exactly like original but we could look at it as an "aftermarket" mod for our pin.

Yes that is possible, but certainly not ideal. Same idea came up on the Time Machine ramp, but it's much more complicated. I figure by the time I get the new heater built, I will have figured out a way to do this one like the original.

6 months later
#34 10 months ago

I've been playing with the idea of building a large format CNC machine for a while. I looked at aluminum prices and Freeplay is right, it would be $1,500+ and that's assuming it's cut correctly (only get one real shot).

Freeplay, any chance a high density, high heat foam might work? Even if you only got one ramp per mold (though it would be awesome to get a few) maybe that would be an economical way to do this? Something like High Density Urethane (40-50lb/ft3) can withstand 300F continuous and would probably cost $60-100 per mold.

#35 10 months ago

Not sure how much this foam costs, but it seems specifically designed for this kind of application: https://www.generalplastics.com/products/fr-4800

Forgot to mention Freeplay40 in my last comment. I'm not sure how pinside notifies users on the forums, so doing it here to be safe.

#36 10 months ago

I currently use a ceramic for my molds....I've also made some early molds with wood and Bondo that still perform. What I hope to test soon is an aluminum impregnated epoxy. Well over $100 per gallon but supposedly perfect for vacuum forming. The biggest problem with ramp production these days is the limited number of reproductions that will be produced, so mold cost is a big factor.

#37 10 months ago

Yeah, that makes sense. That's why I started looking into the foam. It's reasonably cheap, easy to mill, and apparently can be used multiple times. Read somewhere you can coat with special epoxy and make a decent medium run form.

The CNC will also be able to scan 3D objects (via touch) so I should be able to get a good stl file from my existing ramp.

Granted this is a ways off, it probably wouldn't be ready for 3-6 months. Just gauging if you think it's a reasonable thing to attempt and if you would like to potentially work together on it. That's if the aluminum/epoxy mix doesn't work or is too expensive, that sounds like an easier route.

#38 10 months ago

I really don't see using 3D tech to model a ramp. Casting from an original has worked for me. The issue with TMNT and even more so with Time Machine is a mold material that is strong enough with thin mold walls that can handle the power of forming and more specifically, separating the mold from the form.

A big factor with molds is using a material that can be made as smooth as possible. The forming process will pick up any irregularity in the surface of the mold. Can't tell you how many times a cat hair has ruined a formed piece of plastic.

3 months later
#39 7 months ago

Also in for 1 if these get made.

2 weeks later
#40 6 months ago

I’d buy one also if anyone decides to make replacements

3 weeks later
#41 5 months ago

I’m also interested in a ramp.

#42 5 months ago

IM IN ON A RAMP IF EVER REPODUCED.

#43 5 months ago

Count me in too.

1 week later
#44 5 months ago

Good news. There is a repro. I have 2 turtles so I got 2 from him. I got them in Ebay.

#45 5 months ago
Quoted from Santis:

Good news. There is a repro. I have 2 turtles so I got 2 from him. I got them in Ebay.

Well that would be good news.

Can you give us the link on Ebay?

#46 5 months ago

Ita kind of a repo....I saw it on Ebay as well. Really rough version of a repo. Also looked to have trouble with what freeplay is saying regarding the small center section of the ramp. I really hope this mold gets made correctly one day.

#48 5 months ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

Ita kind of a repo....I saw it on Ebay as well. Really rough version of a repo. Also looked to have trouble with what freeplay is saying regarding the small center section of the ramp. I really hope this mold gets made correctly one day.

Once I get through this estate stuff (probably another month) and get the heater moving, I found a new mold material I want to try out and I think TMNT would be the perfect test.

#49 5 months ago

I hope it works out!

4 weeks later
#50 4 months ago

I'm in for one for sure and another for Hook too. I picked up an (dang near) HUO Hook that the ramps need replacing. So one TMNT when ready and Hook when you are ready again to produce ramps.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 275.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.99
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside