Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by durgee7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3d0f45b71f1fe76793ab19b535401657480d0c85 (resized).jpg
20180506_132015 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hello everyone!

I have 3 items I would like to discuss. The most important involves soldering for my Data East TMNT pinball.

1. Based on responses to an older topic I posted, I'm planning to replace the micro flipper switch (purchased from Marco) for the left flipper. It has been inconsistent for the last few months. The existing switch appears to be soldered at a couple locations. I have experience soldering sega game gear capacitors but have not perfected the art. I'm wondering if the products (solder, soldering iron) or lack thereof is causing the soldering to be too difficult. I can explain what I mean by difficult in my reply. I will post a picture of my items.

2. Also, my brother is really pushing for me to replace the AA batteries with the following:
Frank's Famous Lithium Battery Board Upgrade-for BALLY-WILLIAMS-DATA EAST-STERN - Data East 1987-1995
The reason is because, when I purchased the pinball, I found the AA batteries were 3 years expired. They had started to show leakage at the contacts. Fortunately, after closer inspection, the board and all components were untouched by the leakage. I understand installing Frank's Famous Lithium Battery Board requires soldering. This issue is directly related to the flipper switch install. Same question as item 1 above: Any recommendations for solder type, solder iron brand and type, flux? While there are numerous videos and links for soldering, I always like to know what fellow pinball owners use.

3. Lastly, I started noticing the speaker sound is softening (not as loud and clear). I'll have to do more research and keep an eye on it for future posts.

Thank you for your time and patience with this novice pinball owner. I continue to learn very much from this group of experts, and I can't thank you enough.

20180506_132015 (resized).jpg

3d0f45b71f1fe76793ab19b535401657480d0c85 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

I have no idea about 1, but 2: I have soldered with insanely expensive tools, and with POS harbor freight specials. It's just soldering. I use a fancy-pants desoldering station, and it works exactly the same as anything else. It's just the tip you use that makes any difference. If you have a really fine tip, it'll take forever to melt the solder. If you have a really big one, it'll be harder to do fine work. But at least for a battery, you've got really big holes to work with. You'll want flux core solder, but I don't think you can easily get it any other way these days. Don't fret over it. It's literally a 3 minute job at the most.

#3 1 year ago

I would just remove the batteries all together and install a NVRAM. I did that with my TMNT and it works great. Plug and play. Then I just removed the old battery holder and cleaned up the board. They come with instruction and a very easy to install

#4 1 year ago

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I'm considering new solder with flux and maybe a pricier iron (not $10 radio shack iron). NVRAM sounds like a good idea. Thanks again to you both.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 275.00
$ 29.99
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 26.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Columbia, MD
$ 19.95
$ 159.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside