• Latest reply 9 years ago by tcore
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TMNT Display Issue.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm looking at possibly buying a TMNT and the seller has indicated that there is an issue with the display. He sent me this picture, which shows the display.

He's not sure what's wrong with the display and I'm afraid that it's an actual problem with the display itself that can't be fixed as I think these displays are difficult, if not impossible, to find.

So, based solely on this picture, does this look like an issue with the display itself or is there something else going on here?

If I go and look at this game is there anyway I can test the display to see if the issue is the display itself or some other issue?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give

Dave

TMNT Display Issue.jpgTMNT Display Issue.jpg
#2 9 years ago

That looks like a display power issue to me.
Yes, you can measure display power voltages.
This is for WMS, but DE is the same...
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Testing_DMD_Controller_Power
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/idex.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 9 years ago

To Quote Pinwiki
"The 128x16 DMD was the first DMD used in a pinball machine and was used for five games. It was replaced by the much more familiar 128x32 display.
Sometimes this display will light but the display will appear garbled. The display will flicker and move but the output will not be readable. This can be caused by the R95 resistor on the DMD controller board going out of spec. It should be a 33k 1/2 watt resistor."

I have repaired several 128x16 displays with this problem and this is a must fix even if your display still works properly as the R95 resistor will go bad eventually, albeit after many years of use.

Also, do what Chris Hibler said first, then my suggestion, and then you should be up and running

#4 9 years ago

I've run into that problem on TMNT with the resistor that Mrjamma mentioned before - I'd check that first.

#5 9 years ago

Does anyone know of any 128x16 displays for sale anywhere?

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. As I don't believe these displays are actually available anywhere, I wanted to make sure this could be repaired before I bought the game. I'm hoping to look at it this weekend and will likely pick it up now that I'm confident that it could be repaired.

Dave

#7 9 years ago

Slightly off topic... I don't know how much of a chance you've had to play TMNT, but they have a decent one at Pepi's Bar/Deli in Racine if you are looking to get a chance to play another one before you buy. Great burgers too.

Should be about 45 minutes from Muskego.

https://www.facebook.com/pepispubandgrill

#8 9 years ago

I won't have a chance to get there before I go to look at this one. I played one once a long time ago but I figured I'll pick it up, see if I like it, and if I don't I can alway sell it.

I might check out Pepi's though as I'm always on the hunt for tasty burgers.

Thanks,

Dave

#9 9 years ago

Well, I ended up passing on this game. Sometimes when buying a game you just get a vibe from the seller. In this case, I wasn't getting a good vibe during the conversations/email that happened before I stopped to look at the game.

My feelings that there was something "not right" about this guy were confirmed when I stopped to look at the game. In previous conversations he had told me that he was down on his luck and needed to sell some games so his utilities wouldn't get shut off. He told me that the TMNT was a home use only game and that he bought it about 3 or 4 months ago. He had other games and apparently had bought and sold a fair amount of games and also had done a playfield swap on an 8 ball that he owned (apparently he loves this game so much he's had to do the playfield swap twice). With that, you'd figure he'd know a bit about pinball.

The more we talked the more it seemed like he didn't really know pinball all that well. His story didn't seem to be making sense either as it took me almost 4 weeks to get over to his place and look at his game. For a guy desparate to sell a game, it seemed like he was putting all of his eggs into one basket.

Anyway, I decided to stop and take a look at his game and while the game was in reasonably good shape, there were a few things he "forgot" to tell me. The biggest of these was that the main ramp had been broken and repaired (poorly I might add). It looked like it was about ready to break again. I told him that I didn't think a replacement ramp was available.

I then took a look under the playfield. He had previously told me that the sling shot coil was bad on one side. Well, it was hanging there when I put the playfield up and I asked him if he was aware of the fact that the bracket was broken. He argued with me about this and said it's the coil that's bad. I then showed him that there was a bracket on the other side and that the one in question was definitely broken. You'd think a guy that's done a playfield swap would be able to see a broken bracket.

Throughout all of this, he was telling me that being out of work he was now forced to sell his stuff to the "rich man" would could afford it. The more we talked the more agitated he was getting. He eventually lit up a cigarette and said "you buying this or what?" Obviously, with him smoking in his house I knew the game was going to stink. Just another strike against buying it. I had also noticed some cobwebs on the playfield of this game while looking at it so it obviously hadn't been played in a while. In addition, it was pretty dirty so it was definitely going to need a shopping.

At that point, I told him that I couldn't pay the price we originally agreed upon because there were just too many other things wrong with the game and that I wasn't sure if the parts would even be available and that I'd rather not make a decision without the information I needed. He said that he was desparate for money so make an offer. I made an offer and he immediately shoved the game back into its slot, told me to get out of his house, called me Mitt Romney and then made some other remarks about the rich man trying to steal his stuff, etc. I hightailed it out of there and hopped back in my vehicle. My wife, who was with me for the first time on a pinball run, said "are you buying the game?" Nope, and we need to leave now...

Something definitely wasn't right and my instinct was correct. I'm remind of the adage that "no deal is better than a bad deal" and I'm glad I wasn't pressured into buying this game.

So, if any of you guys in the Madison area are contacted by a guy named Bart selling a TMNT, I'd think twice before going to look at the game or at least take a buddy with you, just in case.

Dave

#10 9 years ago

Yeah, that sounds whacked out Dave. You definitely made the right call. Sounds a little scary too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 5.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 29.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.