Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wolfus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

The auto kicker in teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is not getting the ball into play with good reliability. Half the time, its a roll-back and then there are two balls in the lane for multi-ball.

Current solenoid is a DE 22-600 and it just does not feel like it has the power. I tried a second 22-600 solenoid with the same results.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/090-5023-0T
Is there a stronger solenoid I can try?

I saw were action pinball said a 23-750 solenoid would be more powerful so when I removed a known good 23-750 from another machine to test, it performed even worse. Shortly thereafter, the transistor driving that solenoid shorted out. So would moving to that different solenoid really cause the transistor to short?

Is it possible the transistor was degraded to the point where it could not provide the correct power to launch the ball? I am going to order new transistors but also want to order a stronger solenoid as well...if I could just figure out what solenoid to order.

So can anyone tell me what the strongest solenoid is for the auto launcher function. Better too much than not enough power.

Thanks for any assistance.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

So would moving to that different solenoid really cause the transistor to short?

Nope! Maybe it was on the way out and that was the problem? I would see how things are after replacing the transistor (and maybe the pre-driver transistor too)

3 weeks later
#3 6 years ago

Okay guys. Replaced the transistors and the kicker has just enough additional power to get the ball up and around. But there is no margin and sometimes it returns to the plunger. In short, the solenoid just needs some more power.

So what are my options for adding more power? Are these coils running on DC current? Someone even said that there is likely 70-80 VDC being provided. Man thats a lot of volts and cant imagine why this is still an issue.

Tried the new recommended (supposedly better) solenoid from action pinball. And it performed worse than the original one. I gotta get this fixed ASAP for an upcoming show.

Thanks

#4 6 years ago

So are you using the DE original Turbo -kicker parts ? If yes - it will never be worth a dam . You need to convert it to the newer Stern version . Action pinball should have told you that because they have an excellent tech tip on how to replace .

#5 6 years ago

My turbo kick was broke when i got machine ripped out that garbage used stern one with old coil no problems.

#6 6 years ago

I replaced the busted OE kicker and added the newer DE kicker like found on Batman, Jurrasic park:
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=515-5044-01

I just welded a tungsten weight to the top it to give it more moving mass and that helped a bit. But I still think the solenoid just needs a bit more power. As a last resort, will go with the Stern setup.

Does anyone know the voltage of these solenoids? Cant quite get a good reading with a meter.

#7 6 years ago

You have the right coil in there. Sounds like you need to check over the ppb board pins 1,2,3 and 5 at connector j7 should read 50+ dc volts each. Pin 6 28+volts. The ppb board has fuses on it check them all make sure none of the fuse clips are dirty or cracked and making poor connection this is known DE issue.
Make sure all board headers are soldered right almost always find the pins solder joint is cracked on backside of board. Check the bridge rectifier br1 on the board also may have poor joint there If the ppb board checks out fine check the wiring and connector for poor connection you may need to do some header connectors. Also if power supply is not new check it over these are know to be problems things love to flame out.

My turtles power supply looked like it had lived on a NASA launch pad for 25 years burnt up pile of crap so i got a used one and gutted it out all new parts on board.
Have 3 Data-east machines myself and had to gut each power supply and two of them gutted out ppb board also many header connections. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it is. Get out the meter and check it.

1 week later
#8 6 years ago

Thanks CP. I will do more analysis on the items you suggested. I do think the solenoid is getting ~70 volts. I measured this when the transistor shorted so I ASSume this means power delivery is acceptable. Could be wrong though.

The addition of the tungsten weight to the top of the arm really did help a great deal. It kicks the ball successfully maybe a bit better than 9 out of 10 times. But I will certainly continue to work on it.

Power supply seems to working good but the high voltage DMD circuit is jacked up, but we have a 5v LED DMD installed, so no issues there.

1 week later
#9 6 years ago

I'd like to suggest also the new Stern launcher. I installed on my Tommy. Works so well. You can use your coil as is. In the mean time you can also remove 50 or so windings off of the 25-600 making it a 25 -550. Gnr had a problem launching ball up the long ramp too. lots of past info on that too. that used a launcher like you are now ala JP, BM etc. That launcher has to be lined up well to the ball ready to launch. left, rt and make sure it's straight with new coil sleeve etc.
Is the pf hanging correctly on the latch mech? Main thing is get rid of that old launch mech as you have done already.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 1.00
$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-auto-kicker-driving-me-crazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.