Titles with best integration between shaker motor rumble and game play

By nosro

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

In my limited number of plays in games with shaker motors, I have found a very wide variation in how shaker motors are used.

I found Transformers to have excellent and varying shaker motor usage that enhances immersion. For example, the Megatron lock sound perfectly meshes with the slowing rumble of the shaker motor. It is subtle and effective.

I found Star Trek less creative. Perhaps I was playing old code, but rumble effects seemed limited to a mild rumble with ramp shots and a full-on anxiety attack when the Vengeance is destroyed. It "works" but can feel monotonous and ham fisted after a while.

What do you find as particularly memorable uses of shaker motors or particularly unimpressive applications of shaker motors?

#2 8 years ago

Earthshaker. The one, the only, the first.

#3 8 years ago

Stern Mustang is good. Motor revving integration is obvious, but pretty well done.
Of course, the original will always be hard to top. EARTHSHAKER!!

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Earthshaker. The one, the only, the first.

Dammit! While I was typing....................

#5 8 years ago

You were too busy looking at that guy's pink Dirty Harry.

#6 8 years ago

LOTR is great.

#7 8 years ago

When I owned Red & Ted's Roadshow I hated the shaker motor on that - the monotonous game-play didn't help either (NY Taxi Cabs at the start of almost every game = Grrrrr). The shaker just seemed inappropriate and annoyed the hell out of me. Earthshaker! is the only other game I've owned with a shaker motor, and I absolutely love that as the shake enhances the theme.

Simon

#8 8 years ago

IM and TFTC are definitely my top choices.

#9 8 years ago

Woz
Tron

Great with shakers

#10 8 years ago

Jurassic Park!

#11 8 years ago

I think Road Show is great with the shaker!

#12 8 years ago

Spiderman is also great with a shaker.

#13 8 years ago

I have had quite a few games with shakers, AFM was my favorite with PotC a close second.

#14 8 years ago

^^ This. Perfect implementation.

#15 8 years ago

Shaker on the way for my GoT Premium. Good comments from others so far; we'll know more in a few days.

#16 8 years ago

Iron Man and Game of Thrones!

#17 8 years ago

Yup, just played last week. Rumble was awesome and right on queue for Dino stomping foot steps!

#18 8 years ago

Agree with Tales from the Crypt. Godzilla is also well done.

#19 8 years ago

Earthshaker is hard to top.

#20 8 years ago

WWF Royal Rumble and Jurrassic are top dawgs.

#21 8 years ago

I can't imagine SM or IM without one. RS is also great and so is WOZ surprisingly.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I can't imagine SM or IM without one. RS is also great and so is WOZ surprisingly.

Agree all counts. WOZ surprisingly good-So many short, nuanced uses. Very clever, subtle integration mixed with the big bang stuff.

#23 8 years ago

Battering ram with shaker on got makes the shot very satisfying. Worth having a shaker for that alone.
Mustang i was actually a little disappointed with but still ok.

#24 8 years ago

Met does a good job with it on sparky. Also twd does it pretty well on many occasions also.

#25 8 years ago

Also got pro with dragon wings.

#26 8 years ago

WOZ
MMr

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Agree all counts. WOZ surprisingly good-So many short, nuanced uses. Very clever, subtle integration mixed with the big bang stuff.

Agree. For example, the throne room has a very light jostle that is coordinated with the flame sound and video footage.

#28 8 years ago

Gotta go with TFTC, JP, and SM

#29 8 years ago

AFM hands down the best. I do like WOZ for its subtle use of the shaker. For me Spidey was to over the top strong.

#30 8 years ago

I500! It has a visible shaker motor that is a car racing around a race track! Plus it has 5 different speeds, it goes faster & faster as you keep making ramp & orbit shots. Once it reaches top speed, it's spinning & shaking so fast that the car is a blur & the entire pin is almost hopping of the ground! No other shaker motor even comes close in my book. Earthshaker would be my runner up.

#31 8 years ago

AVENGER'S HULK, couldn't even imagine playing mine without it. If it ever broke I would put a new one in immediately

#32 8 years ago

Added the Spike shake to my GoT. It was a bit over the top for my taste so I toned it down just a bit by offsetting the weights. Integration within the game is quite good.

#33 8 years ago

Royal rumble

#34 8 years ago

I can't complain about the KISS, the multi balls do a great job utilizing the shaker motor and depending on jackpots and super jackpots, the feel is a great match.

#35 8 years ago

I keep misreading the Title of this thread...lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 64.00
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/titles-with-best-integration-between-shake-motor-rumble-and-game-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.