Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

titan-sexy-girl3.jpg
    titan-sexy-girl2.jpg
    titan-sexy-girl1.jpg
    allergic-condom.jpg
    SIZES.jpg
    022-Satura.jpg
    022-STRETCH-TEST.jpg
    022-TITAN-RUBBER.jpg
    044-IBP-RUBBER.jpg
    022-HAPP-RUBBER.jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

It's kind of hard to "review" rubber, right?

To maximize the waste of my company's resources, we rigged up our industrial high-speed camera to capture the bounce-i-ness of it.

A gate was lifted to allow the ball to roll towards the rubber on a 6 degree slope.

We used a gate to make sure we were not putting a spin on the ball by launching it by hand.

Even with the gate, the ball had a random bounce pattern, so we took the arc of the highest bounce as our frame grab.

Each ball was launched 10 times so a single bad bounce would not kill it's score.

Each rubber was gently stretched and then installed with the tension even on both sides of the posts.

https://www.titanpinball.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=640

#2 9 years ago

So as our baseline, we used a 2.5" Happ rubber.

Happ is the "standard" that most operators use here in the East.

This rubber was fresh, bought a month ago by James, the King of Cranes.

This pic shows the high point of the ball's arc - the highest arc of 10 tries.

022-HAPP-RUBBER.jpg022-HAPP-RUBBER.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Here is a 2.5" colored rubber from IPB.

It came from one of those giant $15 bags of Gene's purple rubbers. The bag was still sealed and was purchased in 2014, so it was still very fresh.

You can see that the rubber is less bouncy than our baseline Happ rubber.

044-IBP-RUBBER.jpg044-IBP-RUBBER.jpg
    #4 9 years ago

Finally, here is a 2.5" Titan's Competition Silicone rubber.

It is almost exactly the same bounce as our baseline Happ.

022-TITAN-RUBBER.jpg022-TITAN-RUBBER.jpg
    #5 9 years ago

What rubbers do you prefer vid?

#6 9 years ago

who will be the first to make the obvious jokes. not me!

#7 9 years ago

You know Odin knows how to set 'em up.....lol

#8 9 years ago

thanks for this Vid. how many times did you test these? what i am looking for is a degradation chart. do (will) the competition rubbers break down in the same fashion as the Happ ones? while the bounce might be the same, i don't want have to change them twice as often.

thank you again

#9 9 years ago

Here I've stretched a section of these rubbers WAY farther than anyone should.

Each section got stretched hard, 10 times.

You can see that the IPB rubber turns white and chalky, and the Titan looks completely normal.

022-STRETCH-TEST.jpg022-STRETCH-TEST.jpg

#10 9 years ago

Here you can see the Color Saturation of the Titan.

This was taken with a white balance card, so they really are that saturated.

The reds are super red, not pinkish. The whites are bright white. The blacks are deep, glossy black.

Very impressive color on these rings.

022-Satura.jpg022-Satura.jpg

Pinside created some Jpeg artifacts in that picture that make the red post ring look rough - ignore that, it did not look at all like that in person. Nor does the original Jpeg.

#11 9 years ago

Once again vid is the king of awesome testing practices and practical knowledge sharing.

#12 9 years ago

great job vid, thank you for this... you are always somehow involved in all of my pinball related decision making.... and I thank you for that.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

thanks for this Vid. how many times did you test these?

Each test was repeated 10 times.

what i am looking for is a degradation chart.

I was discussing with my engineers how to do a fair wear test.

The only practical thing we could come up with was maybe rigging 2 slingshots facing each other.

A counter would count how many actuations until a rubber broke and the ball escaped (ending the test).

It still needs more brainstorming.

#14 9 years ago

I hate when rings don't have the sizes molded into them.

You find an old stretched out, unmarked ring, and it does not seem to match any particular size on the chart...LOL.

The Titan rings have the sizes right on them, no confusion in the future (or for beginners who don't know how to read a rubber sizing chart).

SIZES.jpgSIZES.jpg
    #15 9 years ago

Did you happen to test standard black rubber as well to see how it compared (to white or Titan)? I'd like to see that too. Games with original black ones are often too bouncy with white, but I like the look better. These might be a perfect compromise.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

Did you happen to test standard black rubber as well to see how it compared (to white or Titan)? I'd like to see that too.

None of us had any fresh black rubber.

I brought a bag of a dozen 2.5" black that I thought was new, but when I took them out, I could see that they had been installed at some point. I don't keep used rubbers, so I don't know how they got into my toolbox, maybe someone sold me a bag of crap, or I found them in a game and assumed they were new....whatever happened, we were not properly prepared.

#17 9 years ago

Great info! Thank you for your efforts!

#18 9 years ago

Do you think the Titan clears would react differently than the Titan purples? I ask because the Pinballcenter clears seem a bit different than other rubbers I've had.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Do you think the Titan clears would react differently than the Titan purples?

The only clear they sent were post sleeves, so I won't know until I get some clear rings to test.

The white, black and purple silicone all were identical.

#20 9 years ago

Killing me... I read this post and love what I'm seeing... Why make me hunt for the url. Is this it https://www.titanpinball.com/products_results.php?Search=0 ?

#22 9 years ago

Thanks for the review

I'd be interested to see how long it takes for the rubbers to start picking up black marks and getting dirty.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd be interested to see how long it takes for the rubbers to start picking up black marks and getting dirty.

We converted a Sexy Girl, that is deployed in a strip bar, into all purple Titan rubbers.

With the fog machine, stinky "urinal cake" perfume, people smoking (why is smoking illegal in bars, but all strip bars are full of frigging smokers?), and 14 hours a day possible play, we will soon find out.

#24 9 years ago

thanks for this Vid.

Quoted from Aurich:

Once again vid is the king of awesome testing practices and practical knowledge sharing.

Quoted from toasterman04:

great job vid, thank you for this

Quoted from altan:

Great info! Thank you for your efforts!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thanks for the review

You guys are all very welcome!

#25 9 years ago

Thanks... Let me see if I can figure out what rubbers are needed for my folks NF. Exactly what I was looking for, for an excuse to go clean up their pin.

#26 9 years ago

I'd like to know how these compare with lambskin rubbers.

#27 9 years ago

I'd love to see a bounce test done with Pinball Life's rubber.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

Did you happen to test standard black rubber as well to see how it compared (to white or Titan)? I'd like to see that too.

That would be the true test. White rubbers are used on EM machines and early solid state. Not many of those have a use for black rubbers or their equivalent. Most modern games for the last 20+ years use black rubber.

#29 9 years ago

A durometer measures the hardness of a material on a scale from 0 to 100. 100 being the hardest.

It says on Titan's web site that the Titan Silicone rubber has a durometer reading of 45.

White Happ rubber ring has a durometer rating of 45.

Black Happ rubber ring has a durometer rating of 50.

A standard rubber band has a durometer rating of 25.

#30 9 years ago

You have to really love pinball to play in a strip club.

#31 9 years ago

One way to test durability would be to set up
    A shadow battlefield sort of thing with optos that
    Makes the paddle kick, and then on the other side you have the rubber.
    The paddle will then hit it all sorts of directions and with
    Consistent force.

Axl

#32 9 years ago

Oh, and BTW thank you for wasting your company's time
    And your time to do this test.

I am no longer on the fence.

Axl

#33 9 years ago

With how cheap I was able to get a sample kit of the rubbers, I just dove right in. I love them! I haven't really tried other colored rubber rings, but these are totally sweet. I mentioned in another thread that since I have put some blue ones on the slings of my EBDLE, I have not had nearly as many sling to outlane speed balls. Not sure if I am just luckier, but those type of house balls don't really happen any more. the flipper rubber rings are awesome too. Noticed a much better dead bounce and feel than Superbands.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

the flipper rubber rings are awesome too. Noticed a much better dead bounce and feel than Superbands.

I've been using them for several days now on my flippers and they act just like traditional red rubber (IMHO). The dead bounce is perfect. If they have any longevity to them at all they are my new Go-To rubbers (that are silicone )

#35 9 years ago

I'm trying to get the guys at work to do the black rubber sometime this week (if the boss is away long enough).

#36 9 years ago

Cool, thanks Vid. This was a great idea, and am sure will help sell a lot of product for Titan!

#37 9 years ago

I like my clear set I just got.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

do the black rubber

Let the challenge begin

allergic-condom.jpgallergic-condom.jpg

#39 9 years ago

This is a great review. I am very interested in the durability of these. As I am a bit of a novice in shopping games and will soon test my skills on my Stern Star Trek Pro, I am hoping these last longer than traditional rubber rings, as I don't want to disassemble things too many times.

2 weeks later
    #40 9 years ago

James sent me an email with some pics of Sexy Girl - 632 plays latter.

He said he just wiped the dust off with a damp rag and all the silicone looked like new again.

No sign of any wear, or broken rubbers so far.....

titan-sexy-girl1.jpgtitan-sexy-girl1.jpg

#41 9 years ago
    titan-sexy-girl2.jpgtitan-sexy-girl2.jpg
    #42 9 years ago
    titan-sexy-girl3.jpgtitan-sexy-girl3.jpg
    #43 9 years ago

This is really exciting vid!

I've been considering putting black rubbers in my Bad Cats but have heard nothing but regret from guys who say they need to clean the PF after only a dozen games or so because of tiny bits of black rubber trailing around.

Do these rubbers resist that kind of residual buildup on a PF?

Am I even making sense? I don't know, I am super tired.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from MattG:

I've been considering putting black rubbers in my Bad Cats but have heard nothing but regret from guys who say they need to clean the PF after only a dozen games or so because of tiny bits of black rubber trailing around.

Do these rubbers resist that kind of residual buildup on a PF?

I have a few black sample pieces, but not enough to do an entire game with.

The Titans don't feel oily or crumbly like some black rubber does.

James did not mention any trails, but remember that that Sexy Girl is newer than new. New clearcoat, new plastics, new flippers, new lamp sockets, new switches, new mechs, even a new cab. It is cleaner than any NIB game.

I'll have to get a set of black Titans and test them out, but I suspect they will be much cleaner than black rubber.

#45 9 years ago

That's part of the reason I switched to these. I have noticed less black marks after dozens of games on my LOTR. If they don't wear like traditional rubber you won't have the transfer over to playfield surface.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

James did not mention any trails, but remember that that Sexy Girl is newer than new. New clearcoat, new plastics, new flippers, new lamp sockets, new switches, new mechs, even a new cab. It is cleaner than any NIB game.

I got 2 emails asking why the newly built game would be anything different as far as ball trails.

Every time a coil fires, it creates that black dust of powdered metal that you see everywhere under the playfield and inside the slingshot pens.

A shopped game will still have a good amount of that abrasive black dust hidden all over (in the wire harnesses, under the flipper mech plates....) . But a newly re-manufactured game is good for awhile before you start to see it.

So all other things being equal, the new game will stay cleaner longer than a freshly shopped game.

#47 9 years ago

How many people also clean and wax their games to a beautiful shine and don't clean the subways and scoops?

#48 9 years ago

Exactly.

Sometimes I look and the subways are completely opaque.

1 month later
    #49 8 years ago

How are the rubbers holding up?

#50 8 years ago

Still no broken rubbers as of Weds.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/titans-competition-silicone-rubber-vids-review?hl=naf_llabnip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.