(Topic ID: 264671)

Tired Talking COVID...Worthless Trivia

By BigT

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cozy Coupe (resized).jpg
    Eric LC sign (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200325_163044971 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200325_160047971 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200325_160034485 (resized).jpg
    imagen20 (resized).png
    21dltw (resized).jpg
    156719B6-E4BA-4EFA-9B0B-B95C1275CCB6 (resized).jpeg
    9FD0C3DB-EC24-49AA-B77F-431C6E217158 (resized).jpeg
    x (resized).jpg
    15062658-tumblr_me07k5caDB1qakh43o1_250 (resized).png
    giphy(3).gif
    s-l400.png
    1599px-Flag_of_Bolivia_(military).svg.png
    Photo (resized).jpg
    1599px-Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png

There are 565 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.
    #1 4 years ago

The COVID thread, seems to be sucking the oxygen out of pinside. I need something lighter and I love worthless trivia. Give me the trivia that stumps your friends!! Something that is ironic or funny; for example:

KU basketball has only one head coach with more losses than wins in his career at Kansas. Who was it?

James Naismith...inventory of basketball.

#2 4 years ago

Imagine all if the cars you see driving up and down the roads and highways. Where does all that rubber go as their tires are wearing thinner and thinner every mile they go?

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Imagine all if the cars you see driving up and down the roads and highways. Where does all that rubber go as their tires are wearing thinner and thinner every mile they go?

The real answer, which you probably didn’t want to know, is that it wears down into tiny particles that we breathe in every day :/

OT trivia: Steven Spielberg was only 26 when he made JAWS! Jaws’ success begat Star Wars. Which begat Alien... which begat Alien vs Predator, but let’s not hold that against them..

#4 4 years ago

What is the shortest common English word to contain each of the first 6 letters of the alphabet?

#5 4 years ago

The city of Memphis is mentioned in more songs than any other city in the world.

#6 4 years ago

How do you pronounce the capitol of Kentucky...

Is it Louie Ville
    Or

Lou A vull?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

I pronounce it Frankfort

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

I pronounce it Frankfort

Actually it would simply be "the capitol of Kentucky"... which is located where I live, Frankfort, the state's Capital.

As for Louisville, most folks here say "loo-ih-ville". But if you want some fun confusing "thay ain't know'd how to say stuff" times, wait'l you hear the locals pronounce other local (borrowed) town names like Athens and Versailles.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Actually it would simply be "the capitol of Kentucky"... which is located where I live, Frankfort, the state's Capital.
    As for Louisville, most folks here say "loo-ih-ville". But if you want some fun confusing "thay ain't know'd how to say stuff" times, wait'l you hear the locals pronounce other local (borrowed) town names like Athens and Versailles.

You're just excited your town got a shot out!!

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Is it Louie Ville
    Or
    Lou A vull?

I have visited there many times and have no idea.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

The city of Memphis is mentioned in more songs than any other city in the world.

That is great!! Can’t wait to use this!!

#12 4 years ago

Which NFL player was a Super Bowl MVP, but his jersey number was retired for another player that did not win a Super Bowl.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

What is the shortest common English word to contain each of the first 6 letters of the alphabet?

Now this sounds more like a brain teaser than a trivia question...which is also appreciated!!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Which NFL player was a Super Bowl MVP, but his jersey number was retired for another player that did not win a Super Bowl.

Ok... I was hoping for answers in the responses. Odin, did he win the MVP for WASHINGTON? I don’t want to use google and this is intriguing.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have no idea...

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

I have no idea...

Me either. You would think there would be big piles of rubber on the sides of the road.

#17 4 years ago

Trivia about "Gone With the Wind"

The four principal stars were billed in this order: Clark Gable, followed by Leslie Howard (as Scarlett's obsessive love, the glum Ashley Wilkes) and Olivia de Havilland (as sweet Melanie Wilkes, Ashley's cousin), and then Vivien Leigh last with "...and presenting" -- that is, until she won the Oscar and it was changed to "starring."

The film (originally rough-cut at 6 hours in length) was challenging in its making, due to its controversial subject matter (including rape, drunkenness, moral dissipation and adultery) and its epic qualities, with more than 50 speaking roles and 2,400 extras.

Adjusted for inflation, no movie can match the $3.7 billion haul that Gone with the Wind's $390 million box-office receipts since its 1939 release would be worth in today's dollars. The film currently remains the box-office (Champ). Yes More Than #2. 1. Avengers: Endgame (2019). Box office: $2.796 billion.

A nationwide casting search for an actress to play the Southern belle Scarlett resulted in the hiring of young British actress Vivien Leigh, although over 30 other well-known actresses had been tested or considered including: Katharine Hepburn, Miriam Hopkins, Susan Hayward, Loretta Young, Carole Lombard, Paulette Goddard, Margaret Sullavan, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Lana Turner, Joan Bennett, Mae West, Tallulah Bankhead, Jean Arthur, and Lucille Ball. In all, 1,400 actresses were interviewed for the part of Scarlett O'Hara, and 400 performed audition-readings. Although MGM star Clark Gable was expected to play the role of the dashing Charlestonian war profiteer Rhett Butler, Errol Flynn, Ronald Colman, and Gary Cooper were also considered for the part.

The landmark film received tremendous accolades, more than any previous films to date: thirteen nominations and eight (competitive) Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director (Victor Fleming - the only credited director), Best Actress (Vivien Leigh), a posthumous Best Screenplay (Sidney Howard, along with collaborative assistance from Edwin Justin Mayer, John Van Druten, Ben Hecht, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Jo Swerling) - the first post-humous winner of its kind, Best Color Cinematography, Best Interior Decoration, Best Film Editing, and Best Supporting Actress (Hattie McDaniel - the first time an African-American had been nominated and honored) and two honorary plaques, one for production designer William Cameron Menzies for the "use of color for the enhancement of dramatic mood," and the other a technical production award for Don Musgrave for "pioneering in the use of coordinated equipment."

Many of the five nominations that lost were unexpected: Best Actor (Clark Gable who lost to Robert Donat for Goodbye, Mr. Chips), Best Supporting Actress (Olivia de Havilland who was competing against co-star Hattie McDaniel), Best Sound Recording, Best Original Score (Max Steiner), and Best Special Effects. Its record of a total of ten Academy Awards wins held firm until 1959, when Ben-Hur (1959) won eleven Oscars. It was phenomenal that Gone With the Wind did so well, given that 1939 boasted some of the greatest American films ever made, including Ninotchka, The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, and Stagecoach.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

Odin, did he win the MVP for WASHINGTON?

No, not Washington.

#19 4 years ago

More a brain teaser too ...

What major US city name can be typed using only only one side of a qwerty keyboard?

I’ll give a couple hints later if needed.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Befaced? E is used twice, but I can't think of anything shorter.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

18 was already retired when Manning won MVP with the Broncos I believe. They made an exception letting him wear it.

#22 4 years ago

My mind is a vault of useless information.

Here’s one.

Did you know that the worlds 16 largest container ships pollute as much as ALL OF THE CARS IN THE WORLD COMBINED.

It’s the very ugly side of a global economy that never gets talked about because we all want our stuff.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Not an English word, think it is a Native word. 'Sequoia' is the shortest word to use all of the vowels.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Is it Louie Ville
    Or
    Lou A vull?

LooVille. Two syllables. That’s how native Louisville people explained it to me years ago.

New Orleans is Nawlins

#25 4 years ago

Easy one:
    What ship carries the registration
    NCC-1701?

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Easy one:
    What ship carries the registration
    NCC-1701?

No idea
    A096A25A-FBD8-49BB-B69D-45A1DF629B05.gifA096A25A-FBD8-49BB-B69D-45A1DF629B05.gif

#27 4 years ago

Which two U.S. states have never had a 100 degree farenheit day?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Which two U.S. states have never had a 100 degree farenheit day?

As far as I know, only Hawaii at 99 degrees.

#29 4 years ago

When I moved to San Diego in my younger years, I didn't know how to pronounce the city of La Jolla!!
    it's La Hoya

#30 4 years ago

What artist always hides a owl somewhere in his paintings?

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from JimFNB:

More a brain teaser too ...
    What major US city name can be typed using only only one side of a qwerty keyboard?
    I’ll give a couple hints later if needed.

Just one clue should do it ... it's a state capital.

#32 4 years ago

Let's talk about a real crisis facing old men of the world.

Low hanging balls.

https://harryfisch.com/low-hanging-balls/

#33 4 years ago

Honolulu

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

18 was already retired when Manning won MVP with the Broncos I believe. They made an exception letting him wear it.

The player I am talking about was a Super Bowl MVP before his number was retired for another player.

#35 4 years ago

If you have a barnyard with free range chickens and pigs, and a pig starts eating the chickens, what do you do to get it to stop eating the chickens?

I’ll provide the answer later today if nobody gives the answer.

#36 4 years ago

Last hint.

Stock photo from his Super Bowl MVP winning performance.

miami-dolphins-free-safety-jake-scott-13-returns-a-punt-during-the-GNF9TK (resized).jpgmiami-dolphins-free-safety-jake-scott-13-returns-a-punt-during-the-GNF9TK (resized).jpg
    #37 4 years ago

Was that Doug Williams?

#38 4 years ago

Now, which NFL player won Super Bowl MVP on the losing team?

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Last hint.
    Stock photo from his Super Bowl MVP winning performance.[quoted image]

Marino!

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Was that Doug Williams?

No.

And no.
    8-jake-scott-db_pg_600 (resized).jpg8-jake-scott-db_pg_600 (resized).jpg

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No.

And no.
    [quoted image]

I had what you were asking backwards, is that Griese? Doesn’t look like him

#42 4 years ago

Ok Morral, Woodley? I’m running out of Fins QBs lol

#43 4 years ago

OK, one more hint.

17-0

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

OK, one more hint.
    17-0

Wasn’t Griese and Earl Morral both QBs who started games for the 72 Dolphins? Cant remember off hand which started the SB

#45 4 years ago

Griese was #12 and Morral was #15 and neither was a Super Bowl MVP.

#46 4 years ago

Would’ve never have gotten that one, one more hint, not a QB, lol

#47 4 years ago

Fk it, this has gone on long enough.

41zCNhE6-WL._AC_ (resized).jpg41zCNhE6-WL._AC_ (resized).jpg
    #48 4 years ago

And that, my friends, is the sports trivia stumper I came up with all on my own.

This one should be easier.

Who won Super Bowl MVP on the losing team?

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Now, which NFL player won Super Bowl MVP on the losing team?

I don’t remember the player but it was a d-lineman or linebacker on the cowboys when the colts beat them in 1971. Terrible game with tons of turnovers and awful offense.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t remember the player but it was a d-lineman or linebacker on the cowboys when the colts beat them in 1971. Terrible game with tons of turnovers and awful offense.

Yes, but for the longest time it seemed to be one of the closest and most competitive Super Bowls.

Recently we have been blessed with some amazingly close Super Bowls as opposed to those one sided blowouts of the 80s and 90s. And I'm glad we got the last one in before all this happened.

There are 565 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tired-talking-covidworthless-trivia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.