(Topic ID: 299115)

Tips on Slapping the Machine and Saving Wrists?

By aFineMoose

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcrand.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago

I've tried slapping, just doesn't do it for me even with no pain. Oh, were talking pinball. LOL

Actually, while maybe it would make me a better player, just haven't had slapping work for me. I nudge forward and use small slide save movements sideways which seem to work better for me. And are quieter and don't hurt.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

^^^ This, more than anything else, will make you a better player. I used to have my tilts 'homeowner style' (i.e. really loose or not installed at all) and thought I was King Shit at playing.... someone hosted a tournament at my house and warned me to tighten them up, which I took to mean "install the tilt bob". (haha)
    The ball times were seriously long for those better players and it helped me not at all. That was my first tournament playing experience. Since then all the tilts are ridiculously tight, and you learn to play within those parameters and get better a lot faster. I won't say I rarely tilt now, but most of them end up being rage tilts.
    Also learn the games and do not shoot things that will tend to vector towards the drains, and learn ball control with the flippers.
    Slapping the side of the machine is mostly "safe" because it's not going to move the tilt bob much if at all and will still affect the ball the way you want - but you have to have the timing of that move PERFECT. I don't think that's the skill to focus on to get better... flipper ball control would be the highest skill there, and then of course aiming.... if you can stop the ball on the flipper but can't make the shot, eh.
    Also, don't lean on your hands if you can avoid if to keep the wrist pain down.

I am a very average player, and Slochar has it exactly right. When I watch the really good players in league where tilts are usually very tight - they hit what they aim at far more than I do. And many of my drains are off of shots that are misses of a ramp or target that bounce back down the middle or to one side and out. Have been working on flipper control and aiming and it has helped. And they do one thing I am very bad at - they study and learn rule sets so they know what to aim at, when.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcrand.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-on-slapping-the-machine-and-saving-wrists?tu=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.