4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I’ve restored about 10 machines now and refurbished(extreme shop outs) about 20ish. I’m getting quite good at it and I love it. All except one aspect. Putting together large orders. I’d like to know if it’s a me problem or if everyone goes through this. For instance, I’m ordering parts for TAF. Under playfield switches. Most of them. Lots of them. Look in the manual and pick a switch location, note the part number, enter it into 6 different websites to see who has it in stock. Next switch 30x. Now bulb sockets. And plastic posts, etc. And so on and so fourth. I hate it and it takes me forever. Anyone else go through this? Anyone got a better method? Tips?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Duke-:

I’ve restored about 10 machines now and refurbished(extreme shop outs) about 20ish. I’m getting quite good at it and I love it. blockquote>

I hate it and it takes me forever.

What is it love or hate? You did 20ish so far but now you need help

#3 4 years ago

So it's the constant searching of multiple vendors that you hate? Try www.pinballsearch.com. Just enter the part number and it'll do the searching for you.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

What is it love or hate? You did 20ish so far but now you need help

Hate the parts sourcing, love working on the machines. I’ll probably still need help after 50 machines. It’s about improving my process by learning from others. Until I’m the best in the world I’ll always have questions from those I can learn from.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from arolden:

So it's the constant searching of multiple vendors that you hate? Try www.pinballsearch.com. Just enter the part number and it'll do the searching for you.

Why did I not know about this? There is no excuse for my ignorance. Thank you.

#6 4 years ago

Maybe try a better way to organize / manage your parts orders.

Use Excel (or other spreadsheet) to build up an order...
    - Use the following fields/columns
    --- Machine
    --- Mfr (manufacturer of part)
    --- Part
    --- Part No (mfr part #)
    --- Qty
    ------ Use 2 columns per vendor that you use - column heading is the Vendor Name
    -------- put the price in the first column
    -------- use the second column for *in stock*

Something like this should get you started.
    I use 3 spreadsheets for different types of parts. I have specialized ones (different fields) for rubber and bulbs.

Even better is to take the above and create a small database using something like MS Access, but that's more complicated.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from arolden:

Will have to try that url. Thanks for the heads up.

#8 4 years ago

I've found that no vendor has EVERY part you need. So you have to try several vendors. No way around it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-on-putting-together-large-orders and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.