Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TreyBo69
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I think whatever boardset someone started with, they are likely to recommend because they all seem fairly similar and few issues so far with any.. Cobrapin def. has a good price point, but the limitation is that if you need additional drivers or switches you need to buy another cobrapin board which I believe is more expensive than adding a multimorphic or FAST specific switch/driver board.
    FAST <--> Multimorphic .. there's some cost difference depending on how many LEDs, drivers, and switches you want. With FAST - the LEDS are all serial, so if one starts to flake out it tends to affect others down the line. Multimorphic allows a hybrid LED system so some can be parallel and some in series.. but I believe you have to buy driver boards for them whereas FAST has 256 channels built into the main NANO board. I personally went FAST and am very happy with the system.
    Sounds like a wide body could work for you. If you can find the Doom custom pinball on youtube, check that out. (It might only be on a thread here, not positive).. that's one of the few very detailed wide bodies I've seen done homebrew. I could see it being similar to what you might want.. swap the theme and graphics and such, add an upper playfield. Even upper PFs - it's hard to make them fun though.. (see about every game Spooky has done). Course some people love em and some hate em.

Or you could use FadeCandy with MPF and P3 (or other controllers)

I was overall pleased with the P3 boards I’ve used.

#23 2 years ago

Are you making your own cabinet or reusing a scrapped one?

If you’re building one you probably want to go with a WPC wide body dimensions so you can more easily get the right cabinet parts

#30 2 years ago

The actual layout is a relatively small portion of the huge amount of work to be done.

Focus on one or two big ideas, do them well, and the rest of the layout will coalesce around those elements.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-on-playfield-design-for-a-homebrew-machine?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.