(Topic ID: 162727)

Tips on easily removing .156/.100 pins from connectors?

By westofrome

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).png
    image_17946_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

If you plan on crimping a new connector to the wire, there is no need to be gentle with removing the old connector from the housing. I'm not suggesting a hammer, but all I use is a small screwdriver and press hard on the securing tab....hard enough to simply push it out of the way... then connector comes right out.

Exactly.

If you are replacing the contact, just press the locking tab in with an Awl and it slides out with no resistance at all.

Do this with the connector pulled off of the board/male pins.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

I'm trying to press and slide with the same motion with the tool.

I only use the tool if I'm keeping the crimped connector end (like someone installed them in the incorrect order).

Scratch Awl is much faster.

Poke all the tabs down at once, and slide all the connectors smoothly out.

Take a pic before you begin just for a sanity check. You can chew up a lot of time having to go back to the schematics.

image_17946_(resized).jpgimage_17946_(resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Which brings up the question: what do you use for a keying pin if you don't have any in your pocket?

Order a bag of keys whenever you order the housings, because some brands don't fit other brands.

But if you are totally stuck on location, use your mini diags to cut the old housing down each side, and reuse the old key.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Use 2. Cut one so that put together they have the right number of circuits. Lightly sand the uncut edge and the matching edge of the other connector. Mix a little epoxy and apply a thin coat on both the sanded faces. Stick them together and line them up straight. Let it cure overnight on some cardboard or something. Light pressure on either end is preferred. Wipe off any squeezed-out epoxy with a water damp paper towel. The next day trim off the excess with a box blade.

I've always had terrible luck getting epoxy to stick to Nylon anything.

If the old nylon housing is still dimensionally good (it can have a scorch mark, but not deformed), I'll reuse it and simply put the date of rebuilding on the face. Color is a better match than new bright white anyway.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Do you know specifically which molex connectors are unobtanium?

The longer ones (like the 20s).

Sometimes a hoard of them will pop up, but it's iffy.

Reusing the old nylon housing is sometimes the only solution.

Remember to date it after you rebuild it, so the next owner does not assume it's 40 years old.....

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Yeah the tool did not seem to work / fit at all. If i am remembering correctly?

You have to sometimes "do a little circle" with the tool to get it to release.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

they made a lot of early bally ss games

No doubt, lol.

=

But remember, you can simply reuse the old housing.

No need to throw out a bunch of rare housings when only the contacts need replacing.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-on-easily-removing-156100-pins-from-connectors?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.