Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Yelobird
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20171117_173747.jpg
    99C215D1-5BD8-4499-8AA4-2466FB69D409 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

Hey all -

So I finally have my two machines (T2 and MET Premium) in my theater. This weekend I'm having some friends over to watch a movie, and since at least half of them are interested in pinball, I'm assuming we'll spend some time playing after the film. There will be a max of 6 people playing, probably more like 4-5. What do you usually do when you have people over? I was planning on just having people play whatever they want without any structure, but I wanted to hear what other people have done in the past.

#3 6 years ago

Dollar games. Each player throws a buck on the game and whoever wins gets all the money. You keep playing until all your friends are broke or pissed off. Loads of fun.

#4 6 years ago

If there is a mixed skill level and you are looking to run a mini-tournament there are some fun things you can do that takes some of the skill out of it. A couple of ideas I've seen posted before...

Team Pinball - 2 people play at the same time, one for each flipper
    "Blind" Pinball - Cover the lower 1/4 or so of the pinball machine with a piece of cardboard or something similar, like from the slings down
    One Handed - You play with one hand behind your back

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Dollar games. Each player throws a buck on the game and whoever wins gets all the money. You keep playing until all your friends are broke or pissed off. Loads of fun.

Yup dollar throw-downs. Winner takes all. It's fun unless one of the players is really good lol! Pin Golf is fun too.

#6 6 years ago

Don't make it complicated. Just press start

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Hey all -
    So I finally have my two machines (T2 and MET Premium) in my theater. This weekend I'm having some friends over to watch a movie, and since at least half of them are interested in pinball, I'm assuming we'll spend some time playing after the film. There will be a max of 6 people playing, probably more like 4-5. What do you usually do when you have people over? I was planning on just having people play whatever they want without any structure, but I wanted to hear what other people have done in the past.

No structure at all. Just let them play. If you play with them, try to teach them the game in VERY easy manageable chunks. Like T2, "shoot the head" and MET "shoot sparky". Then let them ask you questions after they have done that for a while and want to know more.

Dollar games are always solid. May be tough to have them let you play though haha. One of the benefits of having EMs and early SS games. Friends learn those in 5 minutes and it gives them the false sense of confidence that they can beat you haha. dollar games galore with non-pinheads on my EMs.

Have fun!

#8 6 years ago

I have found non-pinheads typically play one or two games and walk away often leaving balls un played and go back to socializing, etc. You may try and make it fun and offer $10-$20 for whoever puts up the highest score on each machine and see where it goes. You can make a little board with everyone's name on it and write down scores. Simple yet fun way to get them involved

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I have found non-pinheads typically play one or two games and walk away often leaving balls un played and go back to socializing, etc. You may try and make it fun and offer $10-$20 for whoever puts up the highest score on each machine and see where it goes. You can make a little board with everyone's name on it and write down scores. Simple yet fun way to get them involved

Sadly, that's been my experience as well... But the group that's coming over Saturday really likes pinball -- goes out to some of the local places to play even, although they say they're not good, so we'll see.

I also do have the iScored app so I can keep track of scores that way. (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-iscored-the-game-room-score-tracking-app/)

#10 6 years ago

Funny to hear someone else w/ the dollar ante games. Just like Kelly Leak in the original Bad News Bears said,"we play for a buck a game around here". Brings the competition level up.

#11 6 years ago

Don't play for money unless real pin people. Did it once with my Black Knight, cleaned clock since it was my game. Even gave them 5 balls to my 3 and still had hurt feelings. Have fun instead.

#12 6 years ago

Turn games on let them know they are on free play and to play as much as they want. If
    They are into pinball they will have no problem hitting the start button. I would keep it simple to start.

#13 6 years ago

Levi had it right...as usual.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks all. I'll keep it simple as suggested, and only offer other ideas of they ask!

#16 6 years ago

Strip pinball always goes over good with the right crowd.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Three words:
    Coke and hookers

CrazyLevi, you really are crazy, like a fox.

#18 6 years ago

We always play [Pinball Golf] . Money or no money . The lowest score wins . For example . however many pinball the said machine is set on . You get a spread sheet. Write down the 5 peoples names . Then on honor code you pick one objective on each machine to achieve . Then each person tries to complete the objective with the lowest number of pinballs . If they achieve the objective on ball (1) than they write (1) under the game title and under there name . If it take them (3) pinballs to achieve the goal then there score is (3) . If the game is set up on 3 ball play and they do not achieve the objective in three pinballs there score is (4) . After all have players have had there turn on your two machines you add up the total point of each person and see how you and your mates did. Lowest Score Wins .Then start it all over again with all new objectives for your two pinball machines . It is quite fun way to play with your friends. Have fun . Peace

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Three words:
    Coke and hookers

Quoted from Travish:

Strip pinball always goes over good with the right crowd.

Too funny! My first thought when I saw the thread was....Beer and strippers. Glad I'm not the only one that thought along those lines.

#20 6 years ago

Sounds like a nerd fest. Bust out the orange crush and cheezies.

#21 6 years ago

I let guests bat the balls around for a full game to get familiar with where things are, and then I tell them some basic rules and goals after they have a little experience of what's where.

When playing with non pinhead guests, I plunge my extra balls to keep things moving and more even.

#22 6 years ago

When it comes to simple tournaments for people that are "pinball oriented" I offer three things:

1) Snacks and a few drinks (I prefer non-alcoholic to keep down rowdiness and potential machine abuse)
    2) A "grand prize" based on a single elimination style high scoring until you get to three players, using an item like a pinball translite or metal sign which will be memorable to your friends, and not overly costly. This requires a total of two rounds, qualification and final. The top score takes the prize.
    3) A free used metal pinball for everybody else

I let people "warm up" freely and then declare that this is their "real game" before start for scoring to give friendly flexibility and everybody goes home happy. This is the time to explain a game's rules and goals while they practice. Nobody feels "cheated" or gets so overly competitive that results in aggressive pintarded stupidity. The whole process can last between 1-2 hours with 5 people, and is not excessive on time.

Works well before or after a film.

Keep flipping,

- TBK

#23 6 years ago

Beer, hot wings or Pizza and have a tourney where everyone chips in 5 or 10 dollars maybe and pay out 2 or 3 places. If there isn't many people then have one prize to give away to the winner.

#24 6 years ago

I show them how to apply Novis and wax playfields like Mr Meyogi. They never come back after that?

#26 6 years ago

o

Quoted from Yelobird:I show them how to apply Novis and wax playfields like Mr Meyogi. They never come back after that?

Never mind

#27 6 years ago

These are the anal rules that I post on the gameroom walls. It's an adapted version that was here on the forum a while back.

--------------------------------------------------------
    The Pinball Commandments

Thou shall have clean hands before playing pinball.

Thou shall not wipe thine hands/eyes/mouth/nose/ass-crack before or during playing.

Thou shall not cymbal monkey(rapidly tap) both flipper buttons.

Thou shall finish the game that is thus started.

Thou shall hit the start button for the correct number of players playing, no more, no less.

Thou shall not pull the plunger out like it’s the sword of Excalibur.

Thou shall not place thine beverage or food on the playfield glass.

Thou shall not wear huge protruding hand and wrist jewelry.

Thou shall be respected for nudging the machine to keep control of the ball.

Thou shall be smitten for lifting the machine off the ground (slam-tilting).

Thou shall equally be smitten for performing Death Saves (Bang Backs).
    (If you don't know what a Bang Back is, forget about it)

--------------------------------------------------------

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Three words:
    Coke and hookers

99C215D1-5BD8-4499-8AA4-2466FB69D409 (resized).jpeg99C215D1-5BD8-4499-8AA4-2466FB69D409 (resized).jpeg

#29 6 years ago

I like the Buck a game, but you don't count. If anyone does beat you, they get a bonus buck from you .

#30 6 years ago

IMG_20171117_173747.jpgIMG_20171117_173747.jpg

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Levi had it right...as usual.

Except... isn't the preferred nomenclature "hookers and blow"?

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Except... isn't the preferred nomenclature "hookers and blow"?

I get the impression it is more often prostitutes and crack in his neck of the woods...

#33 6 years ago

If this is the sign I've heard gets ignored, it's no wonder it does! Hurts my eyes to look at it.

It does a pretty good job of ignoring the rules of typesetting design and style, almost to the point of parody!

#34 6 years ago

Ended up not doing a tournament. One of the people who wanted to play has a wife who decided she wanted to go home. (I recommended they take separate cars beforehand, but she wanted to drink wine, so...). A couple of other people stayed and played for about 20-30 minutes and had a good time. They really liked that they could put their high score in the iScored webapp, so that was cool. But after that, it was late and they had to go.

People still had fun, so no complaints.

#35 6 years ago

Sounds like everyone had a great time which is All I hope to expect with guests or visitors to the game room. The goal is not to convert them rather introduce them to a bit of your inner interests. THEN sell them your old machines! JK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-throwing-a-pinball-party and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.