Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 9 years ago

Both boards use the same through hole driver transistors, so that is not an issue.

Chas probably wanted you to try shorting it to see if it fired, but given that you don't feel confident in this, that is not where I would start.

Disconnect the connector for this coil from the board.

1. measure the transistor against other ones, you should see one pin that doesn't give a value and is open, if the transistor is bad. If it appears within spec as for others, it's good.

2. I would inspect the wiring. There are circuits with multiple coils in series. Wires are pigtailed from one to the other. I haven’t looked up the schematic for this, but check the prior coil that feeds to the one in question for the same colour wire. It the pigtailed wire from the prior one has an issue (broken off), the prior coil will work but the next one will not, or any after.

3. Check the small coil wires that go into the coil and warp around and are soldered to the coil lugs. Sometimes these break free and are just touching, enough to give a DMM reading, but not enough to carry the current for a fire.

4. measure the coil again, with the connector pulled, and make sure you get resistance. If you get anything, you’re likely ok, as it’s not a locked on situation, just a no fire.

5. Your prob should lie in the above. If not, you may have logic issues, and likely other things not working, but at this point that is very unlikely.

#6 9 years ago

Don't shotgun the transistor at this point though, go through the other things I mentioned first. I have rarely had to replace anything other than flipper transistors on Sterns for drivers, having said that, I've replaced many flipper ones as they under valued the need here.

#14 9 years ago

I'm amazed people are going this route. Most situations where a coil has stopped working comes down to a simple broken wire somewhere. All the things I outlined should be the first simple checks before short the transistor (which does have some risk if you screw it up).

#19 9 years ago

Always check the easy, quick stuff first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-replacing-a-transistor-on-a-sam-driver-board?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.