Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1BE94319-E74E-4D6D-92B3-EC90B41C0F53 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hello All

Any and all tips appreciated. Want to try and save these as so much if the game has needed to be replaced. Would like to keep these original on the new playfield.

Mine, probably like many others. Appear to be primarily held in place with staples any and all tips appreciated

Thank you

George

#2 2 years ago

FFS staples are the worst!
    I've had a machine that rails came up nice and easy with a rigid putty knife, but one that wouldn't even budge.

Hopefully with a little upward pressure and moving to diff'rent areas around the staples they'll come up. Then you can drill new holes for screws when you put them back on.

#3 2 years ago

I'm not quite sure what you mean--the terminology you're using isn't quite right. Are you talking about the wooden playfield rails on the edges of the playfield? The plastic channels on the top edges of the cabinet that hold the glass? The long metal siderails on the cabinet?

Quoted from GPS:

Appear to be primarily held in place with staples any and all tips appreciated

For removing staples, look for furniture staple remover/puller tool. I've used Berry's removers, although the more modern puller looks interesting.

If you're removing metal siderails, putty knife to separate the siderail from the cab slightly, then use vampliers to pull the nails out. Depending on how proud the nail heads are, you might be able to skip the putty knife and just pull the nail heads.

#4 2 years ago

Plastic pry tools for automotive interior trim work very well for removing the wood rails.

1BE94319-E74E-4D6D-92B3-EC90B41C0F53 (resized).jpeg1BE94319-E74E-4D6D-92B3-EC90B41C0F53 (resized).jpeg
    #5 2 years ago

Usually if you rock them sideways back and forth they will loosen enough to get a mini flat pry bar under them.

#6 2 years ago

Thank you to all! I am grateful. Sorry for the poor description. I am referring to the wooden rails on the playfield. I am working on a Bally PB. There are countersunk screw holes on either side to a fix these with screws but only one or two of those are used. It appears that the preferred way was to use a staple gun to attach these rails. Again thank you to all!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Usually if you rock them sideways back and forth they will loosen enough to get a mini flat pry bar under them.

I just removed my Eight Ball rails this way. After removing the screws, bend back and forth until you get some space between the rail and playfield and then use something to pry it. This was easier then expected.

#8 2 years ago

My staple puller wasn't strong enough to pull the rail staples. It would just bend the tip of the puller. If you aren't too concerned about damage on the playfield you are getting ready to throw out, get something a bit more stout (like a old flat screwdriver sharpened a bit) and drive it under the staple head to raise it a bit and then use a old fashioned prybar. Another option is to cut the staple's head in the middle, pry up the two sides and clamp a vise grip on them one at a time (making a clamped on nail head) then use a prybar to pull them out. Once you get a couple out on one end, a stiff spackling knife inserted on the loose end can "wiggle" down the rail lifting it from the playfield. Wedge it off, don't pull it off, it might split and you need it.

#9 2 years ago

Got them off this eve. Thank you all for responding. Didn’t think I would need to repaint them but heavy, they need to be repainted.

Thanks again

G

#10 2 years ago

Super easy way to remove the staples, just finished doing this to my centaur a few minutes ago.

Give the ends few taps with a hammer until there is enough room on the other side to get a set of needle nose pliers on them.

Grip the loop with the pliers, then hit the pliers with the hammer until they come out.

This way you’re not marring up your old playfield in case you’re going to reuse it for something and those staples aren’t on the floor or flying across the room for someone to find later with their foot.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from mad_carl:

Super easy way to remove the staples, just finished doing this to my centaur a few minutes ago.
    Give the ends few taps with a hammer until there is enough room on the other side to get a set of needle nose pliers on them.
    Grip the loop with the pliers, then hit the pliers with the hammer until they come out.
    This way you’re not marring up your old playfield in case you’re going to reuse it for something and those staples aren’t on the floor or flying across the room for someone to find later with their foot.

This is a great method. Just one small addition…
    When tapping the ends of the staples, lightly hold them in needle nose pliers so they don’t bend as you hammer them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-removing-playfield-rails-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.