Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Lethal_Inc
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    Not-ACDC_Translite.jpg
    Compression_demo.jpg
    Dynamic_Range_Compressor.jpg
    Audacity3.jpg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

I have been spending a lot of time with oga83's Pinball Browser. If you are not familiar with the program, here is a brief summery. It is a PC program that allows you to browse, export and import DMD images and sound files from any Stern S.A.M. system game. The thread with the details and download link for the program is here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

What I am hoping to do here is to give a bit more detail on how to convert a sound file into a compatible WAV file that can be imported into a game's firmware.

I have been using a sound editing software called Audacity. It is free and can be downloaded here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

After you have the program installed and open, you will first have to go to FILE on the top left and then OPEN. You will then browse to the sound file that you want to convert.

When it opens...it will more than likely have 2 sound tracks showing (because most sound files are stereo). If there is only 1 sound track showing you can skip to the next step. If there are 2 tracks showing you will want to convert this to a single mono track. Go up to the top to TRACKS and select STEREO TRACK TO MONO. This will combine the tracks into 1 mono track.

The next think you need to do is to set your project to the correct rate. On the bottom left of the program you will see the current rate and a pull down box. The rate you want to set your project at is 24000. This is not one of the selectable rates in the pull down box so you will have to highlight the current rate and type in 24000 to change it.

Having experimented with importing quite a few files I will suggest that you now set the volume level. It seems that even after the volume of the sounds have been tweaked, they are still a bit low when patched into the firmware and flashed onto the game.

To adjust the volume of the track you will find it's volume slider of the left side of the sound track. The top slider there is the volume. I usually slide it to the right to about +3 dB. Then play the track and keep an eye on the output display at the top of the program. If these green bars peak into red....you need to bump down the volume a notch and replay the clip again. If you play the entire clip and you only get green...you will want to bump the volume up a notch. The goal is to get the volume as high as you can WITHOUT GETTING ANY RED. I have found if you get any red it will cause distortion when imported into Pinball Browser and also when that firmware is flashed onto the game.

After you get your volume set you are ready to save your file. Go to the top to FILE and select EXPORT. Then save the file where you would like as a WAV file. You may then get a pop up box that says EDIT METADATA. This is basically tag data that some sound files have embedded in them. You will want to press the CLEAR button to get rid of this information. If you keep the tag data on the WAV file....it will not import into Pinball Browser.

At this point your compatible WAV file should be saved where you placed it and ready to import in the Pinball Browser program.

A few other notes about the Pinball Browser program and sound file length. If you select a 28 second sound clip that you want to replace and you import a 45 second sound file to replace it. The Pinball Browser program and the game will only play the first 28 seconds of that clip. It will then loop (in the game) or end, depending on what the original sound clip was programed to do. On the other hand, if you import a 20 second clip to replace the original 28 second clip...you will get silence for the last 8 seconds. I believe if another game sound can play in that last 8 seconds of silence depends on the sound clip that is getting replaced and how it is programed (to possibly be overridden or always play out it's entire original length).

I hope this helps and if anyone has any other tips, suggestions or corrections...feel free to chime in.

I'd also like to thank oga83 again for this great Pinball Browser program. Audacity3.jpgAudacity3.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Great tutorial, thanks Dug!

Does anyone have any suggestions for filtering out background noise? I've played around with some of the effects in audacity, but I can't isolate the voice in some of the call-out clips I am editing.

#3 10 years ago

Here's a tip that I found handy:

If you've got a clip that is pretty close to the length you need, you can go to "Effect", and "Change Speed." Make VERY SMALL changes, and hit undo if you mess up. (Ctrl+Z, for you computer studs out there).

This helped when I was trying to fit in a theme to the Batman game. I was shooting for a length of 30.222, and my track looped perfectly at a length of 30.268. I adjusted the speed SLIGHTLY...like, 0.070 percent faster. Audibly, it isn't different, but eventually I got to the 30.222 target.

(You can make slight adjustments if you don't nail it the first time...like keep adjusting again at 0.002 until you hit your target).

Hope this helps.

Pete

#4 10 years ago

Here is a followup tip on getting the volume on a WAV file you plan to import to Pinball Browser a bit louder if needed. The volume of a sound seems to vary a lot from one to another so this may be needed to get the volume of an imported sound to match the originals in the game.

Aurich and vid1900 pointed out that the original sounds in the game are probably compressed and if sound files were compressed before importing into Pinball Browser it may help to boost or match the volume. After some quick toying in Audacity it appears that this is correct.

Here is the basics on how it would be done. After you have tweaked the volume as is described in my original post, you would go to EFFECTS, then COMPRESSOR. Here you will see a box displaying the dynamic range compressor settings. In my short test on this I left all of the setting as they were except I did put a CHECK in THE COMPRESS BASED ON PEAKS box in the bottom right. Then press the OK button at the bottom. This basically makes the loud peaks in the WAV quieter, but makes the quiet parts louder and the entire track louder as a whole, smoothing out the volume for the whole track.

You will once again want to tweak the volume using the volume slider on the left of the sound track as described above in the original post. Make sure there is NO RED showing on the output display in the entire track or you will get distortion or pops in the sound in the game.

You can then EXPORT (save) the track as described above in the original post.

The compression setting can be tinkered with and here is a link to a page that describes all of the controls in the Dynamic Range Compression settings:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Compressor

I have attached a picture of the control box and also a picture displaying an original track exported from the software. A converted MP3 before compression and the same file after the compression is applied. You can see the volume after the compression is much closer to the original than the uncompressed file in the middle. It doesn't look to be as dynamic as the original (it looks to be a bit louder in the quiet parts), but reading up on the various compression settings and toying around with them...this may be able to be matched even closer.

Dynamic_Range_Compressor.jpgDynamic_Range_Compressor.jpg Compression_demo.jpgCompression_demo.jpg

#5 10 years ago

I had a few PM asking me how to modify sounds and images with the Pinball browser app.
    Does anybody feel like writing a step-by-step tuto about this (or complete Dug's one) ?
    Thanks in advance.

#6 10 years ago

With ripping the audio from the movie. I have a program called DVDFab, which has a blu-ray ripper. You can do an audio only extraction and you'll have multiple options on how to extract the audio. You can do a mono rip, stereo rip, two dolby type rips and the one I use, "5.1 Multichannel". The nice thing about ripping to 5.1 Multichannel is you get the front left and right channels, the rear left and right channels, the subwoofer channel and the center channel. I get rid of all the channels except the center channel. The nice thing about the center channel is that the voices stand out more than a stereo or mono rip of the audio. You still have background music and sound effects, but they are not as pronounced as the voice you are trying to use. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better.

3 months later
    #8 10 years ago

GREAT THREAD!

2 months later
    #9 10 years ago

Thanks for this….
    When I import my new song to Pinball Browser…where does it go? What is it labelled as? How do I replace an existing song?
    Help would be appreciated!!

Kyle

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

Thanks for this….
    When I import my new song to Pinball Browser…where does it go? What is it labelled as? How do I replace an existing song?
    Help would be appreciated!!
    Kyle

It's been a few months since I last used Pinball Browser, so I don't know if the newer versions look different, but on the sound tab, scroll down to find the sound request you want to replace. Click on the sound request to highlight it, and then click on import. Browse for your file, and it will be replaced. When it finishes importing, you can double click the sound request to play it. It should play your new file. Below are the sound request numbers for both the LE/Prem and Pro:

LE/Prem v1.22 (sorry, I don't have the duration times handy)
    #345 Battery
    #431 Creeping Death
    #502 Enter Sandman
    #574 Fade to Black
    #627 For Whom the Bell Tolls
    #665 Fuel
    #726 Master of Puppets
    #794 One
    #839 Sad But True
    #915 Seek and Destroy
    #994 End of the Line
    #1059 The Unforgiven

Pro v1.22 (if these are incorrect, I copied them from someone else who posted in another thread; I don't have a pro)
    343 Battery – 5:09
    429 Creeping Death – 6:34
    500 Enter Sandman – 5:30
    572 Fade to Black – 6:56
    625 For Whom the Bell Tolls – 5:09
    663 Fuel – 4:29
    724 Master of Puppets – 8:32
    792 One – 7:24
    843 Sad But True – 5:23
    913 Seek and Destroy – 6:50
    992 End of the Line – 7:51
    1057 The Unforgiven – 6:26

Hope that helps

#11 10 years ago

THANK YOU SPARKY!!

I will go try it all right now!!

#12 10 years ago

My weak attempt at a contribution: (The only LE song that was wrong in the above post was Sad But True = #845)

Here are the numbers and times for the METLE code:

Battery #345 (5min09s956ms)
    Creeping Death #431 (6min34s629ms)
    Enter Sandman #502 (5min30s489ms)
    Fade to Black #574 (6min56s721ms)
    For Whom the bell Tolls #627 (5min09s297ms)
    Fuel #665 (4min29s131ms)
    Master of Puppets #726 (8min32s911ms)
    One #794 (7min24s715ms)
    Sad but True #845 (5min23s807ms)
    Seek and Destroy #915 (6min50s180ms)
    End of the line #994 (7min51s403ms)
    The Unforgiven #1059 (6min26s335ms)

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

My weak attempt at a contribution: (The only LE song that was wrong in the above post was Sad But True = #845)

Hmmm. I'll have to check why I put #839. What was in 839 instead of SBT?

BTW, what songs did you replace?

Also, when the next code drops, all those numbers will probably be wrong again, and we'll have to do it again very soon According to Borg, they may be adding a few more songs, as well.

In the match call outs, there are two that are basically the same ("That snake just puked!"). I replaced one of them with a recording of my daughter saying in a worried voice, "Mommy, what happened to Fluffy?" It's not the actual, creepy "Mommy, where's Fluffy" from the song "Breadfan," which only hardcore Metallica fans would get, but most people get it when the snake pukes and that call out comes up.

There are 10 (I think) call outs for the flipper buttons during attract mode. I replaced one of them with my daughter saying, "Now I lay me down to sleep," and the "Sandman" riff playing softly behind it.

#14 10 years ago

#839 was just a 1minute riff from Sad but True.

Cool things you did with the call-outs!
    I am just learning how to do the songs….those are a little to hard for me still! LOL!
    I wouldn't know how to record and get a "home-made" call out on!

#15 10 years ago

Neat idea with the 'Fluffy" comment for a match, I may use the Breadfan original if I ever get a Metallica..

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Neat idea with the 'Fluffy" comment for a match, I may use the Breadfan original if I ever get a Metallica..

I tried the Breadfan original. It was too long for any of the match choices. It might work in a spot for a flipper button/attract mode. I didn't check that.

#17 10 years ago

Damn.. oh well

So when is someone going to install "So What??" on a game then put it on location?? Last Caress would be another good song for a FEC...

#18 10 years ago

When you change a song….do you have to go somewhere else to change the title in the Song Choice Menu??
    Thanks for the help guys
    Kyle

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

When you change a song….do you have to go somewhere else to change the title in the Song Choice Menu??
    Thanks for the help guys
    Kyle

Yes. Lets say you replace The Unforgiven with Blackened. You will click the Messages button on pinball browser and search for Unforgiven. When you find it you will click the Edit button and change THE UNFORGIVEN to BLACKENED.

There are also a couple of other options in that pop up window to change text that are worth noting. The first one, if checked, will only change this one location of The Unforgiven to whatever you change it to. Generally, you want all instances to be changed, So you will want to leave this unchecked in this case. The second option is if you are changing a name and it is too long to fit where the original did. If that is the case you can check this box and it will allow you to change the name to something longer.

After doing that it is also a good idea to be safe and search the original song name again, just to make sure all instances of it have been changed.

Next you will want to click Search Firmware at the bottom of pinball browser. This brings up another window to search text in the software. I will warn you this search window is much pickier than the first one I mentioned. What I mean is if you type "Unforgiven" it will not find anything, but if you type "UNFORGIVEN" it will find a text that you need to change. So when you find a line that need replaced. Click to highlight it and type whey you want to change it to in the bottom window and click the replace button. This area does not give you the option to add charters to it if it is too long so you have to manage that. I had to put "Ride / Lighting" here as "RIDE THE LIGHTNING" would not fit. The good news is I think this area of changing text is only for the game settings and not during gameplay.

After all changes are made, click the Save As button and save your changes to a new modified update.

#20 10 years ago

stupid user question, I have my song track adjusted, compressed, at correct length and speed, but I only need 32 seconds of the mp3 file. I have the duration marked, but how do I clip out the remaining audio? record the selected track length then save? If I do that it sounds like shiznit, how to I just save/export the clip in audacity.. Im an idiot..

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from ZEN:

stupid user question, I have my song track adjusted, compressed, at correct length and speed, but I only need 32 seconds of the mp3 file. I have the duration marked, but how do I clip out the remaining audio? record the selected track length then save? If I do that it sounds like shiznit, how to I just save/export the clip in audacity.. Im an idiot..

I'm not understanding your question here. You say you have your song track the correct length...then you say you need it to only be 32 seconds??? Then you say it sounds bad...do you mean the quality or because of the short 32 second duration?

If you are just looking to cut a song down you would follow all the steps in the tutorial up until the part where you save the file. You can left click (and keep it down) where you want to make the cut (scissors icon)and move to the right to highlight the rest of the song. After it is highlighted, press the cut button and that will delete the entire highlighted area.

Then you will export (save) it as a WAV file just as is described on the original post.

#22 10 years ago

That probably didnt make sense... I didnt know how to use the cut tool, helps to zoom in to the track to see the timing closer, done in the view tab. Then use the scissors tool to cut the portions of the track you dont want, that is the trouble I was having, never used audacity, and thought I was out of luck, thanks again for the tip!... I am fine exporting and saving to wav and then importing, its the damn audacity I couldnt figure out...

#23 10 years ago

I use cooledit for this. Import the song, edit, convert, set to mono, 24000, 16 bit, apply. Then for volume, I export a track from the rom. Drag that into cool edit. Then do an analyze in it and it shows the average volume in db. Analyze the new track and you can see its average volume. You can use the amplify filter and add or subtract the needed db.

I find most modern music is already heavily compressed so I haven't needed that step.

You guys probably hate this. But I totally redid the entire sound track for acdc. I am not an acdc fan so turning it into a game called "the pinball formally known as acdc".

I made a new translite for it.
    Not-ACDC_Translite.jpgNot-ACDC_Translite.jpg

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I use cooledit for this. Import the song, edit, convert, set to mono, 24000, 16 bit, apply. Then for volume, I export a track from the rom. Drag that into cool edit. Then do an analyze in it and it shows the average volume in db. Analyze the new track and you can see its average volume. You can use the amplify filter and add or subtract the needed db.
    I find most modern music is already heavily compressed so I haven't needed that step.
    You guys probably hate this. But I totally redid the entire sound track for acdc. I am not an acdc fan so turning it into a game called "the pinball formally known as acdc".
    I made a new translite for it.

Not-ACDC_Translite.jpg 117 KB

Interesting...so what is your track list?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Interesting...so what is your track list?

I have an obscure track list. Some of it is:

Ozzy crazy train for Rick n roll train
    Guns N roses my Michelle for whole lotta Rosie
    Brick Dickinson road to hell for highway to hell
    Dark moor from hell for hell ain't a bad place
    Metallica for whom the bell tolls for hells bells
    Judas Priest electric eye for (whatever track made you shoot at acdc targets as acdc means electric also)
    TNT I left. I haven't found a suitable replacement
    I have a few others but I have to check.

The translite, music, text, and juke box labels are all changed.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Awesome, nice selection of songs. I have been planning on converting my ACDC to a thrash metal Pin. I am hoping to finally have the time to work on it some over the holidays.

#27 10 years ago

Nice job on the jukebox labels by the way. It looks like it was done at the factory!

Quoted from markmon:

I have an obscure track list. Some of it is:
    Ozzy crazy train for Rick n roll trainGuns N roses my Michelle for whole lotta RosieBrick Dickinson road to hell for highway to hellDark moor from hell for hell ain't a bad placeMetallica for whom the bell tolls for hells bellsJudas Priest electric eye for (whatever track made you shoot at acdc targets as acdc means electric also)TNT I left. I haven't found a suitable replacementI have a few others but I have to check.
    The translite, music, text, and juke box labels are all changed.

#28 10 years ago

Where did you have your translite made? I have changed most of my songs to Pearl Jam , and wanted to make a new translite reflecting the change.

#29 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips man! How do you save a frame out of the out of the video? I saw peoples using ''dmd pictures'' in the ST threads and would like to extract some for myself.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from JackSlater:

Thanks for the tips man! How do you save a frame out of the out of the video? I saw peoples using ''dmd pictures'' in the ST threads and would like to extract some for myself.

Not really on topic, as this thread is about the audio side of pinball browser, but here it is. Open pinball browser, open the game software that you want to get the image from. Use the slider or the left and right arrows to find the DMD image you are looking for, click export, click save to save it where you want on your harddrive.

The image will be very small (128 x 32) as that is the actual pixel count of the DMD and be in grayscale. You can use picture software to make it bigger and convert it to the image format you would like.

...or just take a screen shot of it opened up in pinball browser. That way it will look just like what you see in pinball browser.

#31 10 years ago

Cool Edit is the bomb, CEP2K is the best umfreewarecough solution, if you can still get ahold of it. It's probably the most intuitive interface available.

I think it would be a laugh if someone would do a version of this with all kids' songs [or *shudder* pop-rock tunes] and watch someone unsuspecting mook play it...

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from greywolf:

Cool Edit is the bomb, CEP2K is the best umfreewarecough solution, if you can still get ahold of it. It's probably the most intuitive interface available.
    I think it would be a laugh if someone would do a version of this with all kids' songs [or *shudder* pop-rock tunes] and watch someone unsuspecting mook play it...

There was talk of the Metallica that was at Expo having a custom ABBA song list, but it never happened. It was really too noise to have noticed much anyway.

1 month later
    #33 10 years ago

I have been using the pinball browser and audacity programs to change my songs on my ADCD Prem and have a question maybe one of you guys will know. When you first launch a ball during game play, it seems like it will jump several seconds into that song. Is there anyway to adjust at what point in the song it will start playing?

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

I have been using the pinball browser and audacity programs to change my songs on my ADCD Prem and have a question maybe one of you guys will know. When you first launch a ball during game play, it seems like it will jump several seconds into that song. Is there anyway to adjust at what point in the song it will start playing?

Are you sure you're replacing the track at the correct insertion point? When I did acdc I didn't have this issue.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

If it's anything like Metallica, it will only start playing the track from the beginning on the first ball. On subsequent balls, it will start the track at a point close to (within 10 seconds or so) where it left off from the previous ball.

#36 10 years ago

Excellent Post!

2 weeks later
    #37 10 years ago

Awesome post

8 months later
    #38 9 years ago

so does this mean that you can only replace/edit the current songs with other ones or can you keep the originals and add net new? Thanks!

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

so does this mean that you can only replace/edit the current songs with other ones or can you keep the originals and add net new? Thanks!

??? If you are asking if you can add to the number of songs in a game...I believe the answer is no. Just replacement...one needs to go before a new one can be put in.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

??? If you are asking if you can add to the number of songs in a game...I believe the answer is no. Just replacemant...one needs to go before a new one can be put in.

Yeah that's what I was asking. Sounds like maybe it's locked at a certain number. Seems like quite a process to get different songs in there. Will probably leave it alone.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Yeah that's what I was asking. Sounds like maybe it's locked at a certain number. Seems like quite a process to get different songs in there. Will probably leave it alone.

It is not that hard of a process. I know it can be a bit daunting to look at, but if you play around with the programs a bit it becomes a bit easier. Putting new songs on your machine is the bomb.

1 week later
    #42 9 years ago

Shopping a CSI for a friend next week. He wants to add a who song into the game. I may bug a few people on here wants I get the game and see what this looks like. May be a little over my computer skills but would love to learn how to do this.

#43 9 years ago

Does anyone have the request track list for ACDC, I have done a lot of work on this as I have made a ACDC Christmas song tracks for our Annual Christmas theme night for our group imagine playing Silver Bells instead of Hells Bells lol. I loaded the code yesterday and it is hilarious and should be a great time. I just want to make sure I have everything covered off and re-named in the code for the event.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Does anyone have the request track list for ACDC, I have done a lot of work on this as I have made a ACDC Christmas song tracks for our Annual Christmas theme night for our group imagine playing Silver Bells instead of Hells Bells lol. I loaded the code yesterday and it is hilarious and should be a great time. I just want to make sure I have everything covered off and re-named in the code for the event.

Pro or Premium?
    I have the lists but they are at my house. If no one has posted before I get home today I will put the list up.

#45 9 years ago

Ah yes would be for the LE, thanks!!!

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Why don't you just download the bookmarks ? (answer yes when Pinball Browser starts and asks you for this).

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from oga83:

Why don't you just download the bookmarks ? (answer yes when Pinball Browser starts and asks you for this).

Okay will try when I get home, that does seem to do anything anytime as I have tried it for other machines... Thanks for the advise.

#48 9 years ago

In case it does not work here are the AC/DC Premium/LE music spots to replace in code 1.68

301 Back in Black
    302 For those about to Rock
    303 Hell ain't a bad place to be
    304 Hells Bells
    305 Highway to hell
    306 Let there be Rock
    307 Rock N Roll Train
    308 Thunderstruck
    309 TNT
    310 War Machine
    311 Rosie
    312 You shook me all night long.
    and if you want to replace the Encore song it is 342.

#49 9 years ago

Awesome this is exactly what I was looking for!!!!

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Okay will try when I get home, that does seem to do anything anytime as I have tried it for other machines... Thanks for the advise.

After the bookmarks have been downloaded, click on the drop-down list : it should be filled with the sound requests names.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-getting-sound-files-ready-for-pinball-browser/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.