(Topic ID: 182974)

Tips For First Pinball Machine Purchase?

By jvivlemore

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago

Buy a cheaper SS machine fully working in well cleaned & repaired condition at a "fair" price. As stated above look the machine over closely for lazy cleaning or hacked boards & battery damage.

The logic behind buying a cheaper title is you will not be as afraid to work on it when something goes wrong. (You notice I didn't say "if something goes wrong") If you own pinball machines you will be fixing them or paying someone to do it!

Don't worry about getting something you love as your first machine - you will have plenty of time for that when you buy the second & third in a few weeks. Get a good quality "starter" machine" enjoy owning it and learning from your mistakes then go after more expensive titles. As the seller of the first machine we bought warned us "you will never stop with just one".

#15 7 years ago

OP - You didn't say where you are from in your original post but I am sure if you post your location someone local to your area would be more than happy to help you with some of the "learning curve" when it comes to buying a pinball machine (or three). Depending on how deep your pockets are NIB isn't a bad idea but personally I prefer 5 one thousand dollar machines to owning a new $5000 machine. And finding new in the box for $5000 these days is likely a stretch anyway.

To me baby steps is the way to go but it really just depends on the amount of cash you have that is available for a new toy. What ever you do DON'T buy a machine with anything but money you have. Using credit to buy something you can't afford to pay cash for is a bad way to start in this hobby!

#25 7 years ago

Prices vary greatly by location. My suggestion would be to post your location and reach out to your pinball neighbors for help. That is the best way not to get screwed on your first couple purchases. I would bet 95% of us paid way to much for our first couple machines (me included). So if you do end up messing up just look at it as paying for school. But it is much better learning for free by relying on people in your local pinball community to guide you. I just wish I would have realized that before buying my first several machines!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-first-pinball-machine-purchase?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.