Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by volkdrive
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

my advice to any first time buyer is:

- don't buy a pin you haven't personally played and inspected.

- be patient! it may take time for a nice machine that you like to come up for sale in your area, but it will happen. don't let yourself feel pressured into a bad deal just because you're afraid of missing out.

- learn what a credit dot is, and how to check the error if there is one. sometimes, it's no big deal at all, just a warning because a switch hasn't been triggered in a long time. but sometimes it's something more serious.

- open the backbox up and look for battery damage and hacked up boards.

- of course you also want to look for playfield wear, especially in areas around the flippers, pop bumpers, and high-traffic areas, and check for broken or missing ramps and plastics, but that's obvious.

- personally, i think pins tend to be in better shape when they come from pinball hobbyists rather than commercial retailers. just my opinion. (i know there are good retailers out there, and i understand the peace of mind some get from buying from a professional establishment.)

welcome to Pinside and good luck!!

#10 7 years ago

few more pieces of advice:

- update your profile so people know where you're from. you never know what opportunities might crop up

- the Pinside marketplace is the best place to start looking for a game. you can check out a seller's posting history and verify that they're an active member of the community.

- if there are any leagues or regular pinball get-togethers in your area, consider participating. those folks are always buying / selling / trading their games and if you make friends with them, they can help you out or give you a sweet deal.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-buying-my-first-pin?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.