6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ericgu
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have parts on order to fix up a WPC power driver board. I've seen lots of carnage from doing it wrong, and while I've been doing electronics for far longer than I care to admit, I thought I'd ask for tips.

I have a nice Hakko soldering station and a cheap hot-air rework. My plan is to start with the soldering iron and see if I can get the old solder to melt; if not, add in some new solder to see if I can get it to alloy and be workable. If I get enough heat on the leads I'm assuming they should just release and I'll be able to pull the leads without ruining that plated through holes.

Is that workable? Should I use the hot air rework instead and try to get all the leads at once instead?

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

I'd practice on a scrap board first.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

I've done quite a few of these. I have tools that you are welcome to use (borrow) if you want. I will even help you if you want.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I've done quite a few of these. I have tools that you are welcome to use (borrow) if you want. I will even help you if you want.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-board-rework and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.