Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dsuperbee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I have identical shooter rod/ spring/ washer and tip setup on all of my Stern machines.....some plunge strong and effortlessly, while others inconsistent and sluggish....haven't seen a " vid's guide to shooter rods" post, and think Lloyd posted some stuff awhile back. Seems there is an alignment thing that I should be doing...not sure how.

Just curious of what tricks or standard protocol should be done when dealing with one of the most important user interfaces on the machine....thanks...mark

#2 8 years ago

Maybe the bushings?

#3 8 years ago

Maybe she could use a little lube on your shaft?

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Maybe she could use a little lube on your shaft?

If I can get her to pay attention to the shaft, I shall propose that!!!....too funny!!!

#5 8 years ago

This is actually one instance where the manufacturers suggest(ed) applying a drop of oil.

Center alignment is key.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

This is actually one instance where the manufacturers suggest(ed) applying a drop of oil.
    Center alignment is key.

Will do....standard machine oil, I would guess? Alignment has always been tricky for me, as there is minimal adjustment...

#7 8 years ago

I use CLP gun cleaner or RemOil but wipe it off as much as possible. There will be crud on the "shaft". The oil cleans it and leaves a little residue for lubricity.........

#8 8 years ago

A new bushing and sometimes a new plunger usually does the trick for me.

Give it the same treatment as you would a coil sleeve and plunger.

#9 8 years ago

When I rebuild my shooter assemblies I always metal polish the rod as well,makes it nice and smooth. Then as stated before, a drop of oil never hurts.

#10 8 years ago

I find getting the shooter rod to strike the centre of the ball is important. You have a little wriggle room in moving the shooter assembly with the cab. I have had to adjust the way the lock down receiver mechanism within the cab is positioned too.

#11 8 years ago

My BOP shooter rod was terrible. I cleaned and it didn't help. Then someone told me there is a sleeve in there. Disassembled the shooter rod and pulled the old sleeve. It was nasty. I took a coil sleeved and cut a slit in it longways and trimmed it down until its circumference was correct to wrap around the shooter rod and fit back into the assembly. Once it was installed it worked fine. Try to get a new sleeve or make one like I did. If that don't work the shooter rod may be bent a bit and not completely straight. Get a new one if this is the case. I highly recommend not using any lube as it will eventually cause debris to collect and gum up.

Good luck.

#12 8 years ago

Thanks for the tips...I'm going to screw w it this weekend.....centering first...polishing the rod and bushings next...I actually use the rgb led rods ( have some of Greg's before he vanished) then a few CT's, so hoping I don't have to change out those ( $$$$).....

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from maestro:

My BOP shooter rod was terrible. I cleaned and it didn't help. Then someone told me there is a sleeve in there. Disassembled the shooter rod and pulled the old sleeve. It was nasty. I took a coil sleeved and cut a slit in it longways and trimmed it down until its circumference was correct to wrap around the shooter rod and fit back into the assembly. Once it was installed it worked fine. Try to get a new sleeve or make one like I did. If that don't work the shooter rod may be bent a bit and not completely straight. Get a new one if this is the case. I highly recommend not using any lube as it will eventually cause debris to collect and gum up.
    Good luck.

You do know they sell shooter rod sleeves right? .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-a-snappy-shooter-rod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.