9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ramegoom
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Pinwiki says the WPC lamp columns use a TIP42. My manuals say TIP102. I think this is a mistake on Wiki but I am no expert here. Aren't 42s PNP and 102s NPN and thus not-interchangeable?

#2 9 years ago

you are correct. tip42 are PNP, 102 and 122 are NPN. Refer to the schematic and not the part layout or BOM whenever you are unsure of a part. Typographical errors exist in lots of these manuals, but almost 100% of the time the schematic is correct.

#3 9 years ago

Lamp rows (Q83-Q90) are NPN darlington transistors TIP102
    Lamp columns (Q91-Q98) are PNP darlington transistors TIP107

#4 9 years ago

Both of my WPC schematics (1993 and WPC-S) say the rows are TIP102 (NPN) and the columns are TIP107 (PNP). I doubt such a basic error would have lasted through several editions of the schematics.

Which specific transistor number are you questioning?

#5 9 years ago

Thanks SealClubber for bringing this up. That was a cut and paste error that I made. I'd copied that section from the System 11 section and missed that edit.

Cheers to you!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    htt://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#6 9 years ago

No problem, Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if maybe people were using 42s in place of 102 or something.

#7 9 years ago

In the sys 9 games, there is an error where the bom calls for a "2n3904 PNP" which made its way into sorcerer, comet, and space shuttle manuals. Obviously a 2n3904 is an N-channel transistor, but it can be misleading. But the schematics are correct on all 3.

#8 9 years ago

You need a high gain NPN transistor for the matrix. The TIP102 and TIP122 both have a minimum gain of 1000, the -102 being a maximum of 20,000. Both are 100V Darlingtons. This means they use very little current to fully saturate.

The TIP42 is a PNP with a gain of 30. Even if you used a TIP47 which is an NPN, the gain would be insufficient.

If you have an issue with excessive load on the transistor and you have confirmed that it's not a shorted component causing it, you could always substitute a TIP142 in place of it, although the package is larger.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tip42-vs-tip102 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.