(Topic ID: 247577)

TIP36c went out, how do I determine pre-driver?

By Syco54645

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Syco54645
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

So I had a TIP36c go out on my NGG, how would I determine the pre-driver transistors? I figured it is best to just replace the TIP102 and the 2N5401 transistors. I have been through the manual multiple times and havn't been able to find this info.

Assume I need the WPC95 schematics to easily determine since I do not see them in the NGG manual. Is there a good quality scan anywhere?

#2 4 years ago

Can you just trace the lead? The trace from a leg of the tip36 should run to a smaller predriver. You could test for continuity with a multimeter.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Can you just trace the lead? The trace from a leg of the tip36 should run to a smaller predriver. You could test for continuity with a multimeter.

Wasn't metering to the predriver. Someone sent me a picture of the scm that I could actually read and found it. Still doesn't trace out with continuity on my meter...

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

So I had a TIP36c go out on my NGG, how would I determine the pre-driver transistors? I figured it is best to just replace the TIP102 and the 2N5401 transistors. I have been through the manual multiple times and havn't been able to find this info.

Which driver?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Which driver?

lower right flipper. just so that you are not left hanging i give up. both the hold and the power transitors had blown. a friend sent me a picture of the scm that i could actually read so i replaced the 3 for the power and 2 for hold. worked for about 4 flips then locked on again. at this point i do not have the tools (or talent) to figure it out so gonna take the board to my friends and have a teaching/repair session.

#6 4 years ago

Broken/missing flyback diodes on the flipper coil will cause this.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Broken/missing flyback diodes on the flipper coil will cause this.

The diodes are there but maybe they are bad... will replace those as well. i wasnt sure if that would cause the issue. i guess it would send power back up the line into the transistor and blow it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

4,800 (OBO)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tip36c-went-out-how-do-i-determine-pre-driver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.